G-Force in SPAAACE!!

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Joshua

Re: G-Force in SPAAACE!!

Here's a neat toy: it's a vector calculator!

So, add in your forces, say, 1G down (that's Earth's gravitational pull. At orbit, it's slightly less than that, but let's call it 1.) by clicking one square up from the center. Now you can add other vectors, cuz if you don't, that's the answer: you fall to Earth, eventually. So let's say we're in orbit. Our centrifugal force is pulling us away, and it's a stable orbit, so it has to be the same, but in the opposite direction, up. So click one square up from the center.

If you want, you can calculate by hitting the "add 1,2" button. Unsurprisingly, those are balanced forces, so they're zero. If you're off by a little bit and the y component of the sum vector is negative, your orbit is decaying. I hope you've got a ballute. If it's positive, you're going to a higher orbit or perhaps leaving orbit altogether. I hope you have a way to get home.

Now, let's add a shock to the side: a 6G dodge. Click 6 boxes to the left. Now sum all three vectors. You'll note that only the dodge — the black arrow — mattered. It's because the orbit and the gravity of Earth balanced out.

So let's do something a little more complex.

First, we know that, if we're in orbit, the forces equal out until we accelerate in a direction, so let's just ignore that.

Now, let's say that we're losing orbit. As we've seen above, it doesn't take much — the upwars thrust it just has to be less than 1G to fall out of orbit. So let's add in that basic falling acceleration: let's call it .5G down. It doesn't really matter as long as it's less than 1.

Now, here's the thing: we're hitting the atmosphere all of a sudden with great force. Even though our acceleration's really small, at some point in the past we've gotten going really fast, because you need to be in order to orbit, about 7 km a second, that is 420 km/minute, or 25,200 km/hr. And you're going to come to a complete stop, standing at your target, in just minutes, so you have to slow down really fast. That's the 3-6 G. Because in Gundam we're doing really exciting shit, let's say it's a 6G entry — really steep, fast deceleration. That's the force of the atmosphere pushing up against our MS as it's falling, so click 6 boxes up.

And, oh, hey, we're fighting, right? So we're going to add in a 6G maneuver, let's say to the right.

Now have it calculate all three vectors. You see how little the actual pull of gravity matters compared to all the extreme maneuvering going on? Look at those total forces. I just did this now: the forces on my MS, Haro, and my body sum to 7.9G (that's the "magnitude" in the sum box, which is the length of the black arrow) at those moments when I'm doing my maneuvers. That means that my body weighs 1080 lbs, except in extreme moments of lateral maneuvering, during which I weigh 1422 lbs.

Try it with a couple of different maneuvers by hitting "clear" (not "clear all" which will get rid of both gravity and re-entry forces). Remember that, if you maneuver down, you're speeding up your descent, which means you'll be unable to stop in time and wind up being a smoldering crater. So only maneuver left or right, but watch the numbers change as you maneuver upward, too, slowing your descent.

That's some serious business, there. Just doodling around now, I found that an upward, diagonal dodge increased the force on my poor body to 9.8G. That means I weigh almost a ton. My head, which usually weighs something like 14 lbs now weighs 137 lbs. If my jaw weighs a pound normally, right now it weighs almost 10. I probably can't keep it from just bobbling around. My arms, usually about 15 pounds together, now weigh some 140. My heart has to pump blood that weighs almost 10 times as much. And so forth.
the glyphpress: science fiction games for people who love science and fiction.
Black Knight

Of course, the "average" acceleration of MS is in the nature of 1.5 G, so the stresses placed on a pilot's body while maneuvering in reentry would not necessarily be as bad as all that. MS capable of pulling more than 3 gravities of acceleration are nearly unheard of. 6 G of acceleration? There's like only two or three machines able to pull that sort of maneuver.
Joshua

Geez, even race cars experience 3 Gs. This is one of those places where we can just say, "OK."

I just looked it up: the original Gundam, fully loaded, weighs about as much as an M1 tank. In fact, the tank weighs just a little more. Given that its volume is so much greater — maybe 50 times — it's quite a fluffy machine.

So there's really only so much faith you can put in those specs. I'd bet that, if you look at the way MSes move on the shows, especially the later ones, you'd find that their acceleration is much, much higher than that. Like, every time it moves a body-length away (18m) in a dodge that takes a half second, that's just about 4G. But I can't see to calculate that right now. I bet the duel at the beginning of 00 would tell you useful things, insofar as this discussion is useful at all.
Black Knight

Very, very few people put much faith in the official stats. Sadly, however, animation is sufficiently inconsistent as to not provide a very good baseline, and much can also be shrugged off as "artistic license" since the animators are there to tell a story, not obey physics in a consistent manner.
Joshua

Totally.

I mean, we just saw them making atmospheric entry after deorbiting and we already know that to be a 3-6 G experience.
Enileph

As we know it, G-Force will not affect hair or mini-skirt... They are also not effective against those pilots that can move through space without a space suit... but I would not argue with anyone that can trash up a few MS/MF with their bare hands (or some pink ribbons).
Joshua

Yes, G forces are highly selective. In fact, the discover of acceleration is what led to the editorial industry as we know it.
Joshua