New Space Battleship Yamato Movie due in 2009

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
TheGoose

New Space Battleship Yamato Movie due in 2009

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... rs-in-2009

One of the pillars of japanese anime will be returning in the form of a movie!
ZeroBusterXX

I have never seen Space Battleship Yamato, but I have seen some other Leiji Matsumoto shows (Galaxy Railways, DNA Sights 999.9 and some Captain Harlock stuff), so I think this will be good.
Dynames

Interesting, I actually look forward to it
When the going gets tough, the tough get GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiBQvDu2KCk
One reason why 0083 Stardust Memory is one of the Best
Ryvius

Nishizaki's new project is set in 2220, or 21 years after the first Yamato story.
Despite this, I have often heard Leiji isn't too big on continuity, so I'm guessing this could probably be watched without having seen previous Yamato stuff, but who knows. Regardless I'd really like to check out some of his works, especially GX999 and Harlock stuff.
Kyuzo Aoi

They still had this copyright issue with the directors and the producers?

I hope this won't impede the movie. Seriously.
TheGoose

Re: New Space Battleship Yamato Movie due in 2009

I haven't seen any of the anime except for some clips. I don't think I'll see this until after I've watched the other ones first.

Edit: Got confused and thought thread was about the live-action Yamato film.
Last edited by TheGoose on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroBusterXX

I thought this topic was about the new anime film, not the live-action film...
TakaTahuNuva

TheGoose wrote:Edit: Got confused and thought thread was about the live-action Yamato film.
But... you're the one who started this thread... o_o;
ohhhh snap
TheGoose

Hey, it's been awhile since I started the thread. :lol:
kayone73

Just finished watching the 2010 live action Yamato film. Yeah I know the thread starter didn't mean this film, but since people have mentioned it, I am not going to start a new separate thread. Anyone else see this? I didn't think it was half bad for its $25M budget. Visual production design really copied a bit off of JJ Abrams Star Trek and the new BSG. Not entirely a bad thing, but the recent scifi influences are kinda obvious.
Wingzero00

I saw it a while back. I found it fairly entertaining as well. Visuals were pretty good. Didn't really care for the ending but that's just my opinion
kayone73

Wingzero00 wrote:I saw it a while back. I found it fairly entertaining as well. Visuals were pretty good. Didn't really care for the ending but that's just my opinion
I can see opinions being divded on that ending. I thought it was alright because they had the balls to just make a definitive ending and say 'no, we're NOT making a sequel, deal with it', otherwise it would be years of just dealing with the endless demands of fanboys who want to decide which (insert anime storyline here) should be incorporated into a sequel.
Wingzero00

kayone73 wrote:
Wingzero00 wrote:I saw it a while back. I found it fairly entertaining as well. Visuals were pretty good. Didn't really care for the ending but that's just my opinion
I can see opinions being divded on that ending. I thought it was alright because they had the balls to just make a definitive ending and say 'no, we're NOT making a sequel, deal with it', otherwise it would be years of just dealing with the endless demands of fanboys who want to decide which (insert anime storyline here) should be incorporated into a sequel.
Spoiler
I can agree with you there. I guess I wanted it to be more similar to the ending of the original. That's just the fanboy in me talking and I like happy endings. HAHA
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

I actually liked the ending to the live-action movie. I honestly even cried quite a bit as
Spoiler
Kodai flew the Yamato into the planet missile and to his death to save earth.
Classic Yamato spirit, and I think it was a great idea to base a lot of
Spoiler
the characters' deaths on their deaths from the first series (Okita) and the Farewell Yamato movie. I cried a bit when Yamamoto, Kato, Sanada, and Saito were killed too. Very good use of nod-offs to the classic material.
I also agree on that they made a good decision on the ending. Normally
Spoiler
I prefer happy endings too, but it was good and ballsy of them to put their foot down and close the deal instead of leaving it open for numerous sequels like Pirates of the Carribean and such. Not that I think there's anything wrong with that, but "over-milking the cow" does start to feel cheap.