Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
zabimustdie

Re: Gundamn! Mailbag Drop Box

The mailbag has gotten super popular it seems! Sorry to add to it, but I've been meaning to ask...

1. What are your thoughts on the idea of a Gundam arcade game that has the level of detail as say the Initial D arcade machine, or After Burner?

2. Does the Voltron short, shot by Alex Albrecht, influence your opinions on a live action Gundam at all? The short was beautifully done, and to me gives a tiny bit of hope.

3. Which console/handheld do you think has the best library of mecha games so far? i bet whichever system has all those SRW games might be a worthy candidate.

Thank you for producing such a fun, and informative podcast.
Take it easy, awesome-style!
"Where there is no death, there is life." - Ghost in Chronopolis, Chrono Cross
Mr Bushido

After watching the second Frontier movie, I saw similarities between its ending and the 00 movie's ending regarding Alto and Setsuna, you know what I mean. Now a friend of mine made the statement that Frontier was a much better movie than 00 because it was much smoother. Which points out that he disregarded the fact that Frontier was given 2 movies and 00 only 1. Seeing as how the Frontier movies were retellings and was given more leg room, how do you feel about this kind of statement after being compared to the 00 movie? I'm pretty sure something like this has been floating around. If you guys haven't reviewed the second Frontier movie when you get to this question, you can skip it and get back to it after your review of the movie.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
eanetdude

A smart and respectable anime reviewer recently gave his thoughts on Gundam SEED Destiny, rejecting several key faults many viewers have with the series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LftUI1YaAxU

Do his two major arguments within the first nine minutes have any effect on your analysis of the show? Or does he give more credit than one should?
GundamMaker01

Hey Chris and other Gundamners,

This isn't mecha related but you guys talk about tropes and other plot devices that occur frequently in TV and other media. I just finished Assassins Creed Revelations and there's a cut scene where mother and child get immolated in glorious Athha fashion. Like I said, not mecha related, but it made me think of you guys.
I can't stand the weak; They're always nervous about when they'll be next attacked. They can't trust anybody and they never have an opinion of their own. I can't stand such people!

"Hey Nicol! Batter Up!!!" - Kira Yamato

YokozunaBulldozer

Greetings good sirs,
I have wanted to ask which mecha designers you guys like (i.e. Kunio Ohkawara, Shoji Kawamori, Obari Masami, Ebikawa Kanetake to name a few) and what do you like about their designs(i.e. aesthetics, figures, choice of color)? Also, can you think of one mecha in particular that you like from their previous or current works?

Thank you.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Koshernova

Hey all!

-As you may recall, I've tried to introduce previous girlfriends of mine to Gundam and asked for your advice. I just wanted to relate to you all that I have finally been succesful. Of course, my current girlfriend was already a mecha anime head and had seen some Gundam Wing. But by carefully choosing a show that would cater to her tastes, I got her into the franchise, and she happily gobbled up an entire Gundam show in a few days.

The show in question?

Turn A Gundam. Her favourite MS? The Kapool ("it's so cute and dieselpunk!"). She's now itching to watch Unicorn and Zeta, but I reckon we're going to watch the 0079 movie trilogy during the holidays first (she's a big fan of old school anime like Galaxy Express, so crap animation won't be an issue).

I guess, if I have a question at all it is: have you found, similarly, that you have to consider someone's tastes in order to pick the 'right' Gundam show to introduce them to?

tl;dr kapool-themed lesbian wedding lolz
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
tehprognoob

Hello

As you can probably see from my avatar, I am a fanatical Eva fan and one of those people determined to "overrate" it.

You mentioned confusion as one of your problems of Eva, but confusion and open-endedness is the most important thing about the series. The director doesn't tell you anything, which fed a decade and a half's worth of page-long-posts fanwanking and theorizing. Y'know, that's why Eva's so much fun. The Freudian bullcrap fuels the imagination, and I've seen a great amount of inspiration come out of the series for people struggling with their own problems. Yes, the depth fans attribute to it was not in the original, but if all the depth it will ever have was laid out and prepackaged, then, what would be the point of thinking about it at all? It's the very confusion that makes this franchise so interesting to me.

Well, if I can't convince you then I'm not going to try. I still enjoy the podcast. No hard feelings. Just going to throw out my two cents.
Last edited by tehprognoob on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

Red Comet90

Hello! Here's a few questions I've been meaning to ask:

1) Will you guys be doing reviews of the Gurren Lagann movies?

2) Have you guys had any experience with Miniature Table Top Gaming like Warhammer, Warmachine or even D n D even though its not really a miniatures game?

3) On a recent episode Neo mentioned Yugioh and Magic the Gathering Players. Chris you quickly butt in and stopped him. Have you had a good experience with MTG? And to further the question to all of the Gundamn Crew have you guys enjoyed any TCG's or CCG's in general?
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
PHILLYgundamnFAN

Hello Gundamn! Crew/Gundamn! Nation,

What is the most significant or best buy you have ever made as an anime fan? Having been out of gundam fandom since 2001(when i was in 6th grade and had no clue what the hell a Zaku was), I bought the Gundam WIng box set for $100 online in 2007 and since then I have watched every gundam series and a lot of other awesome shows. I owe the Gundam Wing Box Set a lot for introducing me, my brother, and my friends to the rest of the Gundam Universe and other awesome anime series. The initial $100 investment was well worth it.

Ive been listening since ep 1 and have really enjoyed the past 4 years of gundamn and hope for another 4 years of excellence in podcasting. Thanks for keeping this show going.
"To my only desire...The Beast of Possibility...The Symbol of Hope..."
Ocho

Hi Gundamn Crew! I've been a long time listener and eagerly await each shows coming.

I might be a Gundamn-fool for asking this but.... what antagonist would you want to survive and complete their objective? An example would be Paptimus Scirocco taking over the Earth Federation and ruling the colonies with an iron fist... with B*tches.

P.S. : Genocidal monsters are cool too... :twisted:
"I... I won't die alone. I'm gonna take your soul along with me when I go.""Because of your stupidity the earth remains trampled under the feet of fools."
MindlessFire

Dear Gundamn, I haven't visited this site for a while and its nice to see this podcast still up and running.

1. If you could trade one of your 5 normal senses: hearing, sight, touch, smell, or taste for the Sixth Sense (ESP), would anyone of you do it and which of your five natural senses would give up in exchange?

2. I know there hasn't been any Gundam games coming into US other than Dynasty Warriors. But what if EA bought the rights to make a Gundam game and made it a part of if its Battlefield series calling it "Battlefield: 0079" or "Battlefield Gundam: One Year War" similar to what Koei did with the Dynasty Warriors franchise? Digital Illusions CE (DICE) of course would be developing the game replacing modern day tanks and aircrafts with mobile suits. I already know that everyone here will probably buy the game. My question is would the game sell well to non Gundam fans, particularly to the Battlefield/FPS crowd with or without brand/developer recognition? Or would EA be shooting themselves in the foot?
Raptor

We have Pedobear North and South, and you've discussed the apocalypse that would come from East and West combining with them. But what would happen if their Fifth Ranger, Pedobear Center showed up?

-Raptor, out.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:I'm going to have ten people run across a field, five of which I believe have superior qualities. I shall then toss a grenade in front of them to see who survives even though that course of action might kill all the people I wanted to save.
Turn-A Binker

Randon question:

Out of all of the Gundam designs from 1979-present; the only one to probably see more redesigns is the classic Gundam: the RX-78-2 Gundam.

Along with Kunio Okawara's classic/Version 1.0 & 2.0 (going from their Master Grade titles), you have the refashioned revamps from the Version 1.5, to which it has remained as "the" RX-78 look today, with only little tweekings here and there in appearences such as the One Year War PS2 game and the Real Grade model kit; and another refashion revamp with the RX-78-02 from Gundam: The Origin. Then, you have the more radical or complete redesigns such as Hajime Katoki's Ver. Ka, which has remained a fan-favorite, to the redesign seen in Gundam Evolve 15 to which I don't think most people know exists.

My question is: which version of the RX-78 design do you prefer? It could be one; you could say you love one but have a soft spot for another; or you could rank them from most fav or least fav. Alot for a random question, I know.
tehprognoob

Your favorite gundam OSTs?
Last edited by tehprognoob on Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

NastyNate

What do Yal think about Gundam Age's music?
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
The Fowl Sorcerous

Hey Soul Bro, I know you're a fan of Hulu and Kiefer Sutherland have you seen 'the confession', a web series in which the Kief plays a hitman confessing to all his sins flashing back to badassness and meditating on the nature of evil.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Mr Bushido

Alright so this question regards to Transformers Heart and Soul (G1). I am trying to figure out where G1 originated from. Because the Headmaster season, not the 3 episode one, which aired in Japan only before had what looks like the exact same animation. Like other anime who came from Japan first and to America later, is this the opposite case for Transformers G1? And why wasn't Headmasters aired in America way back then and only recently gets released on DVD now?
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Mu La Flaga

Hey Mr Bushido, dude I could pretty much answer ALL those questions you seek answers to in regards to Transformers.
So if interested, your welcome to post in that Transformers Genereal discussion thread.
YokozunaBulldozer

Hello,
If there was a Super Robot Wars(or Super Robot Taisen) fighting game, how would you guys envision the game(i.e. the game is played much like Street Fighter or Virtual On)?
Also, which side stories from Gundam do you think would have made a good TV animation show(i.e. Gundam Sentinel, Crossbone Gundam, Gundam Seed Astray, G Gundam prequel where Master Asia was piloting the Yamato Gundam, etc...)?
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Kaioshin Sama

Hey Chris, Soul Bro and Neo, first time writing in a question for this finest of podcasts, but I figure I just needed the right topic.

This isn't mecha related but more to do with games. I was wondering what your guys opinions were of the Famitsu magazine after just having read that Famitsu gave Final Fantasy XIII-2 a perfect score. It seems to me that Famitsu is consistently very generous when it comes to long standing Japanese franchises like the Final Fantasy one and also very friendly (perhaps a little too much) towards Square Enix published games in general such that it feels like they gloss over all their flaws in order to give them perfect scores.

This presents something of a problem to me since I am looking for the real scoop on Final Fantasy XIII-2 before considering buying it (something that used to be a given with the FF franchise for me) after feeling kind of burnt by what I felt was a distinct lack of deep and involving gameplay in Final Fantasy XIII. Personally I consistently feel that Famitsu is no longer the best source in Japan for getting an honest and critical take on the Final Fantasy (or really any big franchise) which I am currently struggling to stay interested in.

P.S: Tell Soul Bro that I agree fighting games own and that Chris and Neo don't know what they are missing, but I totally understand why they rip on him anyway and it'll always be hilarious to me the same way Soul Bro laughing in the background after a good joke always is. You guys are all great, keep up the work on my favorite podcast and keep on keeping those trolls and stubborn malcontents of the internet honest...well as honest as they can be.