Legends and Lies: The Plot Twist Rumors Topic (SPOILERS)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AmuroNT1

Re: Legends and Lies: The Plot Twist Rumors Topic (SPOILERS)

Kenji: That may just have been a mistranslation of "Aegis is the commander of the five G-Weapons".

Speaking of Shiho, of course there's the rumor that she was going to be voiced by Nami Tamaki and die at the end of her appearance to keep from tying the singer up with a regular role, but she passed which resulted in Shiho's being spared.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Arsarcana

Antares wrote:I can't remember many rumors that I didn't pick up here. ;) I don't frequent any other sources of mecha-anime info. Most of that was mecha names for Destiny (Knight Justice, etc.), as I recall.
I think that at first that was going to be its name (along with Super Freedom) since that's what showed up in early magazine scans.
Kenji wrote:I remember something prior to Gundam SEED's first airing, when it was being talked about in the first issues of the American Newtype magazine.
At least one site had info about the show which was purported to come from that magazine (not having ever bought an issue I can't confirm whether that's true or they made it all up) which had some lulz-worthy bits; for example a claim that SEED took place in the same universe as Turn A.

Also, wasn't there something about Heero originally being intended to be a crossdressing girl? I remember seeing something about that at one point but I don't remember what the claimed source was or if there was one.
Last edited by Arsarcana on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Duel

Arsarcana wrote:
Antares wrote:I can't remember many rumors that I didn't pick up here. ;) I don't frequent any other sources of mecha-anime info. Most of that was mecha names for Destiny (Knight Justice, etc.), as I recall.
I don't know if I still have it, but I used to have a magazine scan that showed the lineart and had the name "Knight Justice" rather than "Infinite Justice".
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Wingnut

Deacon Blues wrote:I started a "Shiho is dead" rumor with a fabricated quote from Gundam Ace :lol:
And I remember shooting it down with all the force of an SA-2, you bastard. :P
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Aha! Found it!
Gundam Unofficial wrote:Miharu Zabi: Age 17.

The sovereign's second daughter.
Doesn't say why she was taken out of the story though...
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Brave Fencer Kirby

Arsarcana wrote:for example a claim that SEED took place in the same universe as Turn A.
It's actually pretty commonly accepted that all Gundam universes are tied together by Turn A, due to the "Black History" referred to in that show.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
APendragon

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Aha! Found it!
Gundam Unofficial wrote:Miharu Zabi: Age 17.

The sovereign's second daughter.
Doesn't say why she was taken out of the story though...
Wasn't Miharu also the name of the Zeon spy that Kai had a thing with? Maybe Miharu Zabi eventually morphed into her.
AmuroNT1

Arsarcana wrote:Also, wasn't there something about Heero originally being intended to be a crossdressing girl? I remember seeing something about that at one point but I don't remember what the claimed source was or if there was one.
Sumizawa said in that interview on the Wing remaster website that the Gundam Pilots were always male, probably to blanket-dismiss all the similar rumors that have cropped up over the years. I remember a friend saying she heard the concept of Wing was stolen from a UC doujin about five female Zeon pilots sent to fight the Federation.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Arsarcana

I heard one about Wing's plot supposedly being based on a fan letter but didn't hear one about an allegedly ripped off UC doujin.
Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:It's actually pretty commonly accepted that all Gundam universes are tied together by Turn A, due to the "Black History" referred to in that show.
A very debatable proposition (I'm pretty certain it's not 'commonly accepted' at any rate) since there are quite a few issues with the theory but that's neither here nor there.
Chris
Administrator

Arsarcana wrote:At least one site had info about the show which was purported to come from that magazine (not having ever bought an issue I can't confirm whether that's true or they made it all up) which had some lulz-worthy bits; for example a claim that SEED took place in the same universe as Turn A.
It's not made up. Newtype actually claimed that SEED would be "compatible" with Turn A or some such.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
NewtypeS3

I've run across a few in my time... but one can only guess if they were made up or not. And these are pretty much rumors-after-the-fact, so we may never know.

ZZ Gundam
Char was going to show up in ZZ at some point, kill off Haman and take over Neo-Zeon. Amuro would come back and use the Zeta alongside Judau and his ZZ Gundam. Some of this does have some basis in the fact that Char shows up in the openings for no reason (I still think he's shouting at us to leave him alone in that opening), not to mention Glemmy's little rebellion later on potentially taking Char's place as CCA was greenlit.
That said, considering it's well over 20 years ago and Tomino himself can't remember what he wanted to do with ZZ before CCA was greenlit... we'll probably never find out.

Char's Counterattack
Kamille was going to be involved. Rumors are divided on if he was going to be on Amuro's side or on Char's side... but either way, again, it's been over 20 years. And either way, both rumors ended up with him dead and spaced.

And then there's the one about how Loran was supposed to be a girl, but Sunrise/Bandai said no, so Tomino had him crossdress as a middle finger to them. But that one's most likely fake, despite the fact that it's very Tomino, because it's not supported by early character designs.
Unless it's a VERY early event...

Man, Rumors are fun, though.
AmuroNT1

NewtypeS3 wrote: Char's Counterattack
Kamille was going to be involved. Rumors are divided on if he was going to be on Amuro's side or on Char's side... but either way, again, it's been over 20 years. And either way, both rumors ended up with him dead and spaced.
What I heard was that Char would use questionable brain surgery to "repair" the damage Scirocco's mindrape inflicted on Kamille, turning him into a puppet who plays the role that eventually went to Gyunei Guss.

Sume Gai

AmuroNT1 wrote:
NewtypeS3 wrote: Char's Counterattack
What I heard was that Char would use questionable brain surgery to "repair" the damage Scirocco's mindrape inflicted on Kamille, turning him into a puppet who plays the role that eventually went to Gyunei Guss.
Considering last time we saw Camille (in ZZ) he'd "go'ten' betah" that rumor clearly stems from the uninformed.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
ZeonsSilverStar

I used to hear alot of people claim that Uso was a descendant of Char due to Nanai and Muller having the same surname.

I've also heard some interesting rumors about the Turn X like it has a Gundam like face under its mask or its a DG cell infected Shining Gundam.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
AmuroNT1

Sume Gai wrote:Considering last time we saw Camille (in ZZ) he'd "go'ten' betah" that rumor clearly stems from the uninformed.
Bear in mind that it's confirmed that ZZ changed as a result of CCA getting green-lighted, so that scene may not have been in the original story.
ZeonsSilverStar wrote:I used to hear alot of people claim that Uso was a descendant of Char due to Nanai and Muller having the same surname.
I believe the other part of that rumor was that the staff WANTED to run with this, but Tomino shot it down for continuity reasons.

NewtypeS3

ZeonsSilverStar wrote:I've also heard some interesting rumors about the Turn X like it has a Gundam like face under its mask or its a DG cell infected Shining Gundam.
The amusing thing is that seems to stem from the G-Generation games. I seem to recall a unit called the "Devil Gundam Jr" that looks remarkably like the Turn-X. Whether or not it's made from Shining's remains, I don't remember. But it makes sense when you consider that Master Gundam was somehow made of DG Cells during the Guiana Highlands adventure.
Dark Duel

That and the fact that Turn-X has a Shining Finger.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ZeonsSilverStar

I remember the deal about the staff wanting to use the idea, though I don't see how it would've changed the story in anyway. Just took a peak at the Devil Gundam Jr. and it does look alot like the Turn X, an upside down Turn X but Turn X none the less.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
NewtypeS3

So, would that make the Devil Gundam Jr a Gundam X? </shamelessly referencing an old 4Koma from Alpha Gaiden>
YazanGable

Have to say, rather surprised it took as many posts as it did for 'Loran was supposed to be a girl' to show up.

Also, as far as ZZ goes, allegedly there's a set of notes circling the web from a very early draft of ZZ. How early? In this version, Emma's still alive. Though she did die in this version of ZZ.

Finally, anyone's thoughts on the rumored 'time travel storyline' leak people have tried claiming for Gundam AGE?