What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
APendragon

Re: What books are you reading?

I just received my hardback copy of Tamora Pierce's Mastiff, the third book in the Beka Cooper storyline. Not read too much yet as I'm trying to reserve it as something to do when I take walks (to motivate me to do so haha), but enjoying it very much so far.
Vent Noir

Got to the end of Sword and Sorceress XXIV. Decent, but not as good as XXIII. Up next, Twilight of the Dead. I'm not a huge fan of the zombie genre, but I'm giving this a shot.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Antares

Sadly no fiction at the burner now, instead a lot of stuff that could be called academic, I guess. But, my early Xmas present from me to me arrived, all three books of Murakami's 1Q84.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Zeonic Glory

I somewhat recently finished Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I ended up reading it with a bit of a slower pace and ended up flipping around and looking up some Irish history to get a better feel of the atmosphere and historical references that kept zooming by the pages of the text. In the end, I found it to be a pretty enjoyable read, with its application of the Bent Stick Remedy in Stephen's sense of identity and all.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Vent Noir

Finished Twilight of the Dead - decent, although as I said I'm not a huge fan of the zombie genre (or horror in general, for that matter).

Up next, Trial by Fire, the sequel to Jennifer Lynn Barnes' Raised by Wolves.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Sume Gai

Picked up Snuff by Terry Pratchett. Haven't gotten far but with the watch involved it's guaranteed to be interesting.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Dark Duel

Just picked up and plan to begin Inheritance by Paolini. Reread the first three a few weeks back, so I'm rather looking forward to seeing what happens next.
Also, not sure if it counts for this thread but right this second I'm reading through vol4 of High School of the Dead. Not normally a fan of the whole zombie genre, but this one's a lot of fun :twisted:
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Antares

I have Snuff lined up as an Xmas pressie from my brother to me. :) I was really tempted to pick it up in London last weekend, but I resisted.
mcred23

I knocked out I Am Legend by Richard Matheson for school today. I'd seen bits of the movie version prior to this, not enough to really judge it but enough to tell the novel is very different in a lot of ways. It was a good read, although it had a very dark feel to it that got stronger as it went along. Kinda depressing, really, which was probably the point. :roll:
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Vent Noir

Due to distractions, I haven't started on Trial by Fire yet. Actually, it's been pushed back by the fact I spotted Brinn: War in her Veins by Jotham Kingston at the library, and have started on that.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Vent Noir

Well, Brinn: War in her Veins was unsatisfying, and I gave up on it about a quarter of the way through. I've started on Trial by Fire, now.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Zeonista

Colonel Roosevelt, the third volume in the biographical triad by Edmund Morris, who won a Pulitzer for The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. It deals with the popular president's life after completing his second term. The coverage of Roosevelt's campaign as Progressive Party candidate in the face of the entrenched two-party system is interesting look at national politics. The account of his expedition in the Matto Grosso region of Brazil when it was off the maps is great adventure story stuff. (He lost 52 pounds, re-injured his left leg, and endured emergency surgery on it before returning home.)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Dark Duel

Recently read The Power of Six, the second book in Pittacus Lore's Lorien Legacies series; it was a lot of fun. Some parts I didn't like as much, most others I liked a lot. I still preferred I am Number Four overall though.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Vent Noir

Finally finished Trial by Fire, and liked it, though not as much as I liked Raised by Wolves.

Up next, A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber. This is my first foray into the Honorverse, the Honor Harrington series proper is something I definitely want to get around to sometime, but as I think I've mentioned, I've got a huge to-read pile as it is.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

solzen blue

Finished re-reading Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. It had been years since I first read it, and forgot a lot of what was in it. >.> Glad I did though, it's a good book.

Also started reading A Wizard of Earthsea bu Ursula K. Le Guin. Only fifty pages or so in, but I like it so far. Initially picked it up because of Le Guin's awesome essays in The Language of the Night. She sounds like she really knows what she's talking about in regards to fantasy and sci-fi.

Also completed H.G. Well's The Time Machine and The Invisible Man not too long ago, as well as a ton of random crappy free books off my iPod touch. None of the latter are worth mentioning, but boy do you appreciate good literature after attempting to read some of those. :|
Silverfox_Blade

I'm currently re-reading Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy, which is a superb space-opera series, with some supernatural horror elements amongst all the action that's in there too. It's a long run - each one is the size of a housebrick.
Dark Duel

I'm currently re-re-reading Homer's Illiad. Might end up re-reading the Odyssey afterwards.

Vent Noir

Finished A Beautiful Friendship and really enjoyed it. I'll definitely have to get around to reading more Honorverse stuff at some point.

Next up, Mastiff by Tamora Pierce.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Antares

The Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett. That's four books, I'm a third into the third one.
xaos

I'm reading Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf which has the old english one one page and the translation on the other page. It's really interesting to see the old english, the language has sure changed a lot over the centuries.