Gundam Extreme Vs coming on PS3

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
domino

Gundam Extreme Vs coming on PS3

Here's some gameplay on the PS3 from TokyoCon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlyXAyTUz6M
Shinigam_Newtype

Re: Gundam Extreme Vs coming on PS3

Finally! The gameplay looks sweet albeit a little outdated especially compared to Gundam Senki and ACE: R. Will definitely be picking this up.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Siroh32

I personally don't understand how you came to the conclusion that the gameplay is "outdated". Do you mean you prefer the gameplay of the ACE series to the others for this or that reason? Because it's more of a taste issue than a question of how "dated" it is. Despite the innovation and commonality of 3D games, 2D gaming (such as platformers and fighters) still exist and are preferred by many (the Street Fighter series being an example). And as a matter of taste, I prefer the more "arcadey" Vs. series of Gundam games over ACE.

Granted, I've only tried ACE: Portable, but more actions are placed on buttons (making it a bit more complicated on getting a hang of what button does what and how best to use it), the stages are probably too big for the simple concept of mass grunt-killing most of the time (which seems to work better in anime than in gaming, anyway), and everyone seems to be a little more equally fast in traversing the battlefield whilst shooting and stabbing grunts to no end. As fun as ACE looks, the simpler controls, visuals, and objectives of the Vs. series seems easier to me, and it's challenging. It's essentially Virtual On with simpler controls and two more players, and that's a gameplay I would believe is superior and addicting. Add to that, I prefer a pure roster of Gundam units rather than have a whole plethora of mecha and not knowing some or plenty of the units.

And even if you didn't mean by taste (which I believe you meant) and somehow have a logic that might work in your claim of Extreme Vs. having "outdated gameplay", it seems irrelevant to bring up anyway due to the point of preferences and personal tastes that I brought up in the beginning of this post. *shrug*

But I'm at least glad that we can agree on Extreme Vs. being appealing enough to get.
Shinigam_Newtype

No I don't mean taste, I'm essentially talking about that engine the game runs on( I think I should have said this instead of gameplay). I should start off by mentioning this is foremost an arcade game and arcade games have been superceded by home consoles; thus to an extent outdating arcade games.
Also, you seem to apply to the idea that "outdated" is a bad thing. To use your example of Street Fighter, SF Alpha's engine has been outdated by SF IV's. This doesn't undermine Alpha in anyway, the engine has been outdated.

If you prefer that "arcadey" feel, that's your issue. But the Vs Series has been using the same engine, procuring the same gameplay since Federation VS Zeon, albeit slightly upgraded. Just looking at the gameplay footage, I can already see it pertains some of the static elements the other games had. Watch the videos and compare them, you'll see what I mean.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
iKhaotic

Has any Gundam game in history ever gotten the concept of the motion of a mobile suit being knocked back, falling, getting back up, and recovery rolling correct? They always look so awkward and unrealistic (for a mecha). Watching that video and playing/seeing other Gundam games, when a mobile suit gets hit/knocked back, it almost always does that twirl as it falls backward, sometimes throwing in slide once it hits the ground. Then to get back up, it will do that strange jump back up to its feet thing...

I understand it's an action game and is probably inentionally done that way to match the fast pacing of the game, but this one litte thing has always bothered me lol. It doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the game though, but I've always wondered if there was a way to implement some more "realistic" mobile suit like fall down/knock back/recovery motions without sacrificing the fun :)
Last edited by iKhaotic on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Relinquish your pain...unto me...]
[Neither will alone, nor strength alone]
~Sword of the Blue Skies~
AmuroNT1

iKhaotic wrote:Has any Gundam game in history ever gotten the concept of the motion of a mobile suit being knocked back, falling, getting back up, and recovery rolling correct? They always look so awkward and unrealistic (for a mecha). Watching that video and playing/seeing other Gundam games, when a mobile suit gets hit/knocked back, it almost always does that twirl as it falls backward, sometimes throwing in slide once it hits the ground. Then to get back up, it will do that strange jump back up to its feet thing...

I understand it's an action game and is probably inentionally done that way to match the face pacing of the game, but this one litte thing has always bothered me lol. It doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the game though, but I've always wondered if there was a way to implement some more "realistic" mobile suit like fall down/knock back/recovery motions without sacrificing the fun :)
I think Zeonic Front is the closest one will get to what you're describing, but for some that kind of slow realistic action isn't for some (myself included).

Also, regarding the "outdated" thing, the ExVs engine is a total overhaul of the older Gundam Vs engine. While it plays similarly, it was essentially rebuilt from the ground up.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Siroh32

Shinigam_Newtype wrote:No I don't mean taste, I'm essentially talking about that engine the game runs on( I think I should have said this instead of gameplay). I should start off by mentioning this is foremost an arcade game and arcade games have been superseded by home consoles; thus to an extent outdating arcade games.
I can basically agree with this. I know of one that closed down early last year. What I meant by "arcade" or "arcadey" is the simple insert-coin-and-play controls and gameplay of many of them, whether it be the "Gundam vs." games or your favorite fighting or racing games, and I believe they'll pretty much stick around, regardless if they go to an arcade first or are made for consoles directly.
Shinigam_Newtype wrote:Also, you seem to apply to the idea that "outdated" is a bad thing. To use your example of Street Fighter, SF Alpha's engine has been outdated by SF IV's. This doesn't undermine Alpha in anyway, the engine has been outdated.
Actually, my impression was both confusion about the concept of gameplay itself (rather than the engine/graphics/etc.) being outdated, let alone how logic can grasp that concept reasonably, and that your remark about it seemed to imply that it was a detriment to GEV. I didn't exactly connect the dots about the engine being what you meant, and it might've been a bit too far reaching for me to conclude that you were bringing up a negative.
Shinigam_Newtype wrote:If you prefer that "arcadey" feel, that's your issue. But the Vs Series has been using the same engine, procuring the same gameplay since Federation VS Zeon, albeit slightly upgraded.
Unchanged gameplay (on a basic level) happens when you found a working and popular formula. The actual Super Mario Bros. 2--dubbed "Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels" outside of Japan--is basically the same game as Super Mario Bros. 1, with a couple of minor changes outside of the different (and more challenging) level set. The most recent Another Century's Episode games (ACE:R and ACE P) basically has the same gameplay as the first.

When there's a working formula for a game in a specific series, much less for a specific genre, go with it. While I understand the need to freshen things up a bit so it's not the same thing that can be done with the previous game game or that it wasn't enough period, at the same time, going for something different or more can dissuade people from getting it. I just think Gundam Extreme Vs. walks that fine balance very well so far, even if the core gameplay and many units of the past game remain here. But that's not unlike a given popular gaming franchise or genre, and my previous example of Street Fighter fits. (Though I've recently taken a liking to Tekken.)

As far as tastes in gaming go, I never wanted to declare certain tastes to be wrong, but rather disagree. I just got confused about "outdated gameplay" and thought you meant taste rather than something else.
domino

iKhaotic wrote:Has any Gundam game in history ever gotten the concept of the motion of a mobile suit being knocked back, falling, getting back up, and recovery rolling correct? They always look so awkward and unrealistic (for a mecha). Watching that video and playing/seeing other Gundam games, when a mobile suit gets hit/knocked back, it almost always does that twirl as it falls backward, sometimes throwing in slide once it hits the ground. Then to get back up, it will do that strange jump back up to its feet thing...

I understand it's an action game and is probably inentionally done that way to match the fast pacing of the game, but this one litte thing has always bothered me lol. It doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the game though, but I've always wondered if there was a way to implement some more "realistic" mobile suit like fall down/knock back/recovery motions without sacrificing the fun :)
IIRC, in Alliance vs Zaft, your MS can roll side-to-side and slowly get back up but ONLY if you do not tap quickly to get back up. If you DO tap quickly to get back up then you'll do the flip up thing right back onto your feet. I suspect that it's the same way in Gundam Extreme Vs since they're both Versus games.
AmuroNT1

http://www.b.bngi-channel.jp/gdexvs/system_m2.swf

Trailer for mission mode. Confirms a couple more enemy units like the Silver SUMO and the Druggie Gundams, as well as the fact that enemy-only MS will indeed have voice acting.
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

Mark064

I really dislike the trend they have started of enemy only MS, I can see it for somethings but when you have such a large list it's just silly. That being said I guess that makes the Hamma Hamma an ally only MS?
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
DuelGundam2099

Here's an updated trailer in case anyone missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DENjFy7wAyg

Looks like Exia Repair 1 will be playable (first game it's appeared in I believe). Anyone also mind explaining the Acguy family reunion at 10:43? :P I mean seriously, they have a Juaggu (two actually, but still). :shock:
AmuroNT1

Mark064: The Hamma-Hamma is actually one of the Qubeley's assists; it can use both the HH and the R-Jarja.

DuelGundam2099: Exia Repair was already in the game. It works like the Revival Awakening from the UC games, where if Exia's defeat would mean its side loses, it instead gets one last chance, regaining a few HP in exchange for losing most of its abilities. Unless you mean they went and made something like a special stage where you use it from the start.

As for the Acguy, it has the ability to summon three of the "Jaburo invasion MS" as assist characters. It can call the Juagg, Agguguy, and Agg.

hotlimit

Mark064 wrote:I really dislike the trend they have started of enemy only MS, I can see it for somethings but when you have such a large list it's just silly. That being said I guess that makes the Hamma Hamma an ally only MS?
Yeah, I think a lot of people prefer to have those suits with their crappy one attack than not be able to select them at all. I guess they don't want to clutter up the select screen with units that will be useless in competitive play.
AmuroNT1

Well, I look at it this way. Obviously lower-level MS like the GM, GN-X, Serpent etc. weren't going to be playable, so I'm just glad they put more effort into them than they did with the Mission Mode stuff in Next Plus.

As for all the potentially playable things that are enemy-only, like the Akatsuki and Throne Zwei, well, it WOULD be pretty awesome to have everything we could in the game (I was distinctly disappointed to learn that Sandrock Kai was about 90% playable in Next Plus). But I imagine at some point it would be really hard to keep everything unique and distinct, so it's better to keep a nice tight cast list than to just throw everything in for the sake of completeness.

DuelGundam2099

Exia Repair was already in the game.
Oh, my bad.
As for the Acguy, it has the ability to summon three of the "Jaburo invasion MS" as assist characters. It can call the Juagg, Agguguy, and Agg.
Ah, that makes, sense, thank you.

Since Unicorn episode 4 will be out in a few weeks I wonder if Bandai has considered Shamblo as a super secret boss or something.

Edit: Next Saturday, not a few weeks! Oh man how did that happen? :lol:
Mu La Flaga

AmuroNT1 wrote:Well, I look at it this way. Obviously lower-level MS like the GM, GN-X, Serpent etc. weren't going to be playable, so I'm just glad they put more effort into them than they did with the Mission Mode stuff in Next Plus.

As for all the potentially playable things that are enemy-only, like the Akatsuki and Throne Zwei, well, it WOULD be pretty awesome to have everything we could in the game (I was distinctly disappointed to learn that Sandrock Kai was about 90% playable in Next Plus). But I imagine at some point it would be really hard to keep everything unique and distinct, so it's better to keep a nice tight cast list than to just throw everything in for the sake of completeness.
Maybe so, but one can hope the cast grows again.
Although some units they may avoid because they just end up being broken due to their abilities in game.

Still I'm not happy with Wing taken out, but a good example from there is Epyon in Next Plus the ammounts of combos one could do with that thing was crazy at times.

I just miss my transformable Wing Zero over weird looking feather shielder/vernier type wing THINGs.

Just to say.
Mark064

AmuroNT1 wrote:Well, I look at it this way. Obviously lower-level MS like the GM, GN-X, Serpent etc. weren't going to be playable, so I'm just glad they put more effort into them than they did with the Mission Mode stuff in Next Plus.

I can't look at it that way as they've already done 90% of the work in creating the design and everything. All they have to do is maybe tweek the design for balance and put it in the menu. It's not like wishing for a new design where they have to do everything from zero.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
RX-93v2_Hi-Nu

If that was Delta Plus I saw I think I am definitely going to import, the game looks awfully klunky though and reminds me so much of those terrible PS2 SEED games that I abhor, hopefully it plays those games should have played or better...
Zeonic Glory

RX-93v2_Hi-Nu wrote:If that was Delta Plus I saw I think I am definitely going to import, the game looks awfully klunky though and reminds me so much of those terrible PS2 SEED games that I abhor, hopefully it plays those games should have played or better...
Yep, the Delta Plus is a playable unit.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Can someone explain why Deathscythe Hell has a move where it throws exploding Serpents at people? It does it by hand, too, doesn't it?

Is there anything that provides a breakdown of what offline modes are available for the game? I felt that NP didn't have a lot of replay value because most of the units all felt the same (beam rifle and saber, anyone?) and the challenge mode sucked (mostly because it punished melee units severely).

I'd be happy as a clam if it has a survival mode like GvsZG or maybe even the awesome campaign mode.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel