Explain the Earth Sphere map please

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Gatx

Explain the Earth Sphere map please

So I'm looking at the maps of the sides in UC on the Gundam Wiki and now am pretty confused. The two diagrams on this page are what I'm referring to http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Earth_Sphere_%28UC%29.

So to start off, it looks like from 0079 to 0123 that Sides 4, 5, and 6 have switched places? Is that what the dotted lines are for? Do the colonies slowly shift in position over time through that path?

And for a more basic question do the red lines mean that at each L-point, the two sides are always circling each other? I thought that always just sat there in a big bunch.
Chris
Administrator

Re: Explain the Earth Sphere map please

You know, you could've just gone to this page on Gundam Official, which is where the wiki got those maps from.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Black Knight

Allow me to direct you to Gundam: High Frontier.

Yes, according to the maps, Sides were renumbered. And yes, the Sides orbit their respective LaGrangian points, which helps explain why the colonies around L1, L2 and L3 stay where they are, as those are unstable LaGrangian points.
Gatx

Chris wrote:You know, you could've just gone to this page on Gundam Official, which is where the wiki got those maps from.
Ah, my bad. Did not realize that. I have seriously not been to the official Gundam site in years, since the closure of the official forums, and honestly have never poked around there for background information as much anyway.
Black Knight wrote:Allow me to direct you to Gundam: High Frontier.

Yes, according to the maps, Sides were renumbered. And yes, the Sides orbit their respective LaGrangian points, which helps explain why the colonies around L1, L2 and L3 stay where they are, as those are unstable LaGrangian points.
So now I'm wondering why they're renumbered but from the description given on High Frontier it looks like one big mess.
Black Knight

"One big mess" is pretty much the description for a lot of the Universal Century, with it's multiple versions of nearly every story (but especially the OYW). Just read through the partial translated data archive, which so far deals with only the first ten years of UC backstory (1979-1989), and see how the story changes from book to book.

It doesn't get any clearer after 1989. Quite the opposite.