How to Start Macross...

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
APendragon

How to Start Macross...

I'm off-and-on watching the two Macross Frontier movies, which are my only exposure to the series ever, but it seems kinda cool...

There is, however, a ton of stuff to the franchise it would seem haha, and it's kind of intimidating. I generally like to watch things chronologically in terms of content rather than production, just so I don't get confused and can watch things develop in the universe of the series itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start, and where to go from there once I've started? It looks like a pretty promising series...

Thanks in advance all!
Chris
Administrator

Re: How to Start Macross...

Macross is intimidating? It doesn't even have one tenth of the amount of stuff that Gundam has. You're talking three TV shows and a couple of OVAs. In any case, if you want to watch things chronologically, here's the order:

Macross Zero
Macross TV series/DYRL
Macross Plus
Macross 7 TV/movie/Encore
Macross Dynamite 7
Macross Frontier

EDIT: Forgot to mention Macross II, which is an alternate universe sequel to DYRL. You can watch it anytime after DYRL, because it has no bearing on the later sequels.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
APendragon

I guess I tend to forget how much there is to Gundam, since it's been so long and I'm so much more familiar with it than when Wing aired in the states haha. Since catching up on all the Gundam of the past 30 years, every other series I've watched has been pretty well self-contained, so yeah, that was probably an overstatement in comparison to Gundam haha.

Thanks though, I appreciate it! ^_^
Arbiter GUNDAM

I just got into Macross back in March, so I would recommend doing what I did and start with the original SDF Macross series (it's on Hulu and Netflix IIRC), then see Do You Remember Love? and go from there. Plus SDF Macross is first in both chronology and production.

Oh yeah, I forget about Zero. I really would watch SDF Macross, then you'll at least know a lot of what the smeg is going on in Zero.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Zeonista

Best thing to do if one is new to the Macross universe is to watch the original SDF Macross first, since everything starts from there, and returns to there, eventually. Then watch Macross: Do You Remember Love. That movie uses the revised anime production style which will remain the standard afterwards. The movie tells its own version of the original story, which is interesting to compare and contrast. Only then should one move on to the other stories in whatever order one wants to watch them. (Timeline chronology might be best, but I don't see any reason not to watch Macross Zero if one hasn't watched Macross Plus first.)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
azrael

Production wise,

*SDF Macross (TV Series)
*SDF Macross: Do You Remember Love? (Movie)
*Macross Plus (OAV or Movie)
*Macross 7 (TV Series)
*Macross Zero (OAV series)
*Macross Frontier (TV or movies)

There are few movies and OAVs (Like Macross II, Macross 7: The Galaxy is calling me!, etc.) in between there but these are the major points of the franchise.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Ouroboric

I personally started with Macross Plus, i think that or Zero would be a good place to start, as you can get a feel for the franchise without devoting a ton of time into a full series.Though you will understand everything allot better if you start from the beginning. I have yet to see any of the Macross 7 stuff, or the movies.
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
quasadra

i would vote to start from Zero(pun not intended). since the Frontier movies has quite some reference to Zero.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
zerogradius

It's best to start from SDF Macross. Macross Zero makes references to stuff like protoculture that is not really explained and it would be better watched with knowledge of the first TV series.
kayone73

The original Macross TV series is available for free dubbed on hulu.com

Start with that.