Gundamn 4 years tribute (how We found the show)

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
NastyNate

Gundamn 4 years tribute (how We found the show)

Hey guys as many of you know this is the 4th year anniversary of MAHQs flagship podcast Gundamn. As a way to remember the great times. Post how you came in contact with the show. You can also list favorite moments and if the show helped you discover a new anime or anything related.

Well to start off with mine. It was 4 years ago. I had gotten out of Gundam for about a year and I decided to get back into it. I remembered how much I liked the music so I searched "Gundam" in itunes. At the time I had never heard of a podcast and I saw the "Free" and I thought hey "why not". The rest is history. Before all I knew about was MSG, G, 08th, Stardust, and Wing. I did not even know what alternative universe meant, I thought it was all the same timeline. Through my 4 years of listening I have become THE guru of all things gundam in my community and all my friends come to me for any Gundam questions. Since the show I have gone to watch EVERY single gundam show there is, and every show of Macross (which at the time all I knew about was robotech). I also found this Forum and MAHQ through the podcast. Which before the show I did not even know what a forum was, and I visit MAHQ everytime I watch a gundam show to read the review on the episodes and clear up confusion. My favorite moments are the roundups. For me they are like an extra episode of a show. Every time I watch a show, like recently watching ZZ gundam I look forward to searching through Gundamn.net and listening to the roundup to hear how there opinions differ and are the same as mine of the show.

Thanks for a great 4 years.
Sound OFF
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: Gundamn 4 years tribute (how We found the show)

Oh gosh, how did I find this crazy show? I believe it was after I started watching Gundam 00 and was poking around MAHQ.net for info and that's how I found it. I had found MAHQ previously through my fandom for Wing and 08th MS Team. I believe they were only up to episode 4 by that point and I've been listening ever since.

I would definitely cite Gundamn! for inspiring me to expand my mecha tastes with Macross. So a big thank you goes out to Soulbro, Neo and Chris for introducing me to the wonderful world of Macross. Deculture!

As for favorite episodes-
Episode 4: Top Ten and Bottom Five Women of Gundam
Episode 10: Star Trek vs. Star Wars vs. Gundam
Episode 76: For providing such an awesome answer to my question regarding what Valkyries to pilot.
Episode 11: The first MegaCon show which I was at! Poor Soulbro and technical difficulties! :)
Special 01: For giving a shout-out to all their listeners (and shortening my name :D)
Episode 58: The Firefly Episode! By the way Soulbro, Neo and Chris, I hereby declare you to be Big Damn Heroes.
Episode 60: Ice Cold Haterade!
Episode 49: What We Would Change in Macross
Episode 13: Favorite Anime Captains

Remember, Suzaku did it and Lelouch died. :twisted:
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Red Comet90

I found the show by typing in Gundam on a whim on Itunes in January of 2009. Now while that isn't a major way of finding Gundamn, it did influence me in what I watched after that point. Over the next 2 years I would spend time watching all of the Gundam series that didn't air here along with all of Macross, Ideon, and Gaogaigar. If it wouldn't have been for me finding Gundamn I never would have gotten around to all of that as quickly as I did especially Gaogaigar which looked too kiddy at first when I saw the initial mecha design.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Xhavalor

Same as the OP.
After using the iPad for sometime but generally avoiding iTunes, I decided to see if the audio store had some soundtracks.

After searching for Gundam in music, all I found were horrendous covers of random OPs and EDs by strange people, and the occasional synth-piano Gundam SEED track.

What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold.
Requiemu, Requieemmmm!
"It was always a treat to hear the voice actors have to really struggle to say it!"
Chris
Administrator

Xhavalor wrote:What did catch my eye, however, was a podcast named Gundamn!. At first I thought it was a podcast about firearms and [rednecks] discussing their collection, but after looking at the episode titles I was sold.
This is the best comment ever in the history of Gundamn.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
prince_of_zeon

Chris wrote: This is the best comment ever in the history of Gundamn.
I second.

As for me, I had been surfing mahq for years after realizing gundamofficial.com was severly limited. I heard comments every so often about this magical podcast thing, but never much paid any attention to it. When I finally got on iTunes, I searched "gundam" and this came up. I was intrigued, and the first episode I listened to was the one about Megazone 23. Instantly I was hooked. Well, until I quit mechatalk for a time because I was, I'll be the first to admit it, a troll. I grew out of it and reformed (thanks Wingnut), and came back in around episode 39. I've been going strong ever since.
Last edited by prince_of_zeon on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Destiny_Gundam

Chris told me to check it out so I did.

Yeah, not as complex as other people's stories, buuut... :lol:
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
kayone73

Red Comet90 wrote:I found the show by typing in Gundam on a whim on Itunes in January of 2009. Now while that isn't a major way of finding Gundamn, it did influence me in what I watched after that point. Over the next 2 years I would spend time watching all of the Gundam series that didn't air here along with all of Macross, Ideon, and Gaogaigar. If it wouldn't have been for me finding Gundamn I never would have gotten around to all of that as quickly as I did especially Gaogaigar which looked too kiddy at first when I saw the initial mecha design.
Basically what I did, but in late 2010. Very pleasant surprise to find an intelligent and highly entertaining anime & mecha podcast. First ep I listened to was the one about the pilots with daddy issues. Can't believe you guys are edging closer to 100. Great work!
skyknight

Well, my story is quite different.

I did browse MAHQ.net for several years without ever registering, I was mainly following the defunct Newtype Asylum (hope that Dr.Core and Nightingale are doing great), and used MAHQ.net as a resource site.

Even after I joined MAHQ.net, I didn't immediately start listening to the podcast, ironically it is when the term of my previous job ended (and I choose not to continue) and I was looking for work, I got free time to do things, and listening to podcast is FREE!

Heck, the Gundamn ep are funny to listen with those intro and ending!
How much better is being a Creepy Bishonen compared to an AEUG slapping boy?

If Ginrai, the Japanese truck driver living in America, can be the leader of Cybertron Forces, then what can a pizza delivery boy be?

My Items on Sale

PSN: skyknight0100
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Chris told me to check it out so I did.

Yeah, not as complex as other people's stories, buuut... :lol:
And that is the worst comment in Gundamn history.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Destiny_Gundam

I actually have a record of my first hearing of Gundamn!

11/8/07

12:03 AM Chris: so i talked to that man about a horse

and now i can tell you

12:04 AM me: is it a good horse or a bad horse?

12:08 AM Chris: a good one

MAHQ has a podcast now

12:09 AM me: hopefully it'll be better than the billion other crappy podcasts out there

Chris: have you heard the Gundamn podcast?

12:10 AM me: nope

Chris: there's a thread for it in Advertisements

we're merging with them

me: ah

12:12 AM maybe I'll give it a listen

Chris: you should

12:13 AM i decided to team up with them because: they like MAHQ, and they're doing what i wanted to do with a podcast

me: like discuss things?

Chris: yeah

answer questions from people

review stuff, debate things

Man, got a lot of good stuff in these logs.

"I hope Saji doesn't end up in a Gundam"
"i hope he ends up stepped on by a Gundam"

:lol:

Sorry Soulbro
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
FordR

I'm actually not entirely sure, I don't remember.

I know I started listening right around...episode 36 I think, but it was on and off up until episode 50ish and then I listened on an "as they came out" basis.

Even checked out FTS and level nine. Even if they are now relatively defunct, unfortunately.
(still hopes for another episode of level nine pokes Soul Bro hopefully)

At about episode 70 I think I made an account on MAHQ and well, here I am.
AKA- TheTrueYup
mobiusdiablo

I remember it was a while back...I didn't know how to even WORK a podcast at this point (I never had Itunes, and now I simply rely on my Zune Marketplace), but I was browsing on my PS3 when I saw Episode...48 come out, the first one when you had Andres on. I finally figured out how to download it (and I curse myself for not knowing how earlier), but I really wasn't sold on it.

A few months later, I was browsing the forums on my PSP and I saw Gundamn! pop up again, and I simply clicked on it, and the latest episode was Ep. 56 - the "Pedobuster" episode. I saw that and I went "Oh my god, I HAVE to see what this is about", since I had no idea at the time of all the in-jokes and what not the podcast had. That episode was a riot, and I soon found myself going and listening to all the previous episodes and becoming a regular listener of the podcast and now Chaos Theater as well.

Keep up the great work, Gundamn! crew, and I can't wait for the 4th year anniversary ep (and possibly a Bill Whipton special, seeing as how the first and third years had them).
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Mu La Flaga

For me the answer is simple.
I kind of jumped to mechatalk and all from another forum and at the same time I started listening to the back log of episodes at that point you guys were at the mid 40s or so when I joined.

As for fav episodes or quotes I could compile a list but might take a little bit.

Also if Bill Whipton/Boi Wonder shows up for the anniversary episode Shouji Ramuro has to be the co-host/co-hort for such an event.

He is such a hateful counter to Boi Wonder's Shattner impersonation aka Bill Whipton. :P
mobiusdiablo

Mu La Flaga wrote:Also if Bill Whipton/Boi Wonder shows up for the anniversary episode Shouji Ramuro has to be the co-host/co-hort for such an event.

He is such a hateful counter to Boi Wonder's Shattner impersonation aka Bill Whipton. :P
In that case, I think we already got that with the comic book movie special, though that still ain't Gundamn! :twisted:
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
Mu La Flaga

mobiusdiablo wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:Also if Bill Whipton/Boi Wonder shows up for the anniversary episode Shouji Ramuro has to be the co-host/co-hort for such an event.

In that case, I think we already got that with the comic book movie special, though that still ain't Gundamn! :twisted:
Exactally, give the other Commander of Hate some love around here!

The Shinjuku Comic book roundup did show, he still has it.
"Remember Shou doesn't hate you he just hates the sho"
Flame-X

Hmmm... Mine would be during the time when season one of Gundam 00 was about halfway done airing in Japan. Surfing around mechatalk just to kill time, I saw the posts of the first couple eps but didn't care to click on it. Then after my Gundam fanboyism revitalized watching 00, I went back to mechatalk to check out podcast to see they were discussing 00. I don't remember the exact episode number but it was already after when Chris officially joined the podcast. So somewhere between 5-10. That's how the fire started.
Ever since then, I've been always up to date with the releases and listened to every segment, even the ones with whatever anime/tv/movie I've never seen. Not only that I'm thoroughly entertained but also educated. I as well used to be one of those trolls/elitists however, thanks to Gundamn, I'm able to look at things in a new perspective.
hotlimit

I was getting pretty hardcore into gunpla when I lived in Hong Kong (around 3-4 years ago), so I was visiting MAHQ all the time to read about the series that corresponded with the models I bought (I'd seen the original series, Zeta series, Seed movies, and Destiny series at that point). There was a few weeks where Chris was putting up notes on the front page about an official MAHQ podcast, to which I always responded: "Pshhh, some dumb amateur podcast! A bunch of dorky sounding dudes speaking through their computer speakers, complaining about thrust ratios and whatever." And at this point I'd heard a LOT of amateur podcasts, never entertainment, usually just economics or politics or whatever, so I thought I knew what was up.

After seeing the Gundamn podcast advertisement on MAHQ's front page for like... the fifth time, I finally thought, "Whatever, let's see what these idiots have to say...", and it was like WOW. They have freaking MUSIC in this show! And it's not edited like crap, they actually have their sound levels correct! And they aren't a couple of idiots either! And there are SEVEN episodes that are all like 4 HOURS long?! So I was hooked pretty fast.

My favorite episode (or segment rather) is definitely the original Star Wars/Trek/Gundam comparison (episode 10).

EDIT: The thing that really got me hooked was when Neo called Zechs "Low-Rent Char" I was laughing so hard I started crying, and couldn't explain myself to anyone!
Mr Bushido

I think it was when SEED Destiny pissed me off so much after giving it a second look. I've always known about MAHQ but have never browsed the forum much.

My first episode I listened to was Ep. 31 Destiny Calls. Man did I enjoy that episode. After that I went and listened to most of the Gundamn eps. I've even recommended it to some of my friends and they liked it. Interestingly enough listening to more Gundamn eps and listening to Chris and his occasional Straight Talk Express opened my eyes to how anime shows and whatnot works. It showed me an entirely new light and avoided me the traps of fanboyism and fanboy rage as seen with Gundam AGE. I now understand why Sunrise does what they does and can separate myself as a hardcore Gundam fan and think with my brain.

I dunno if this is a double edged sword or not but after AGE was announced, I've been arguing a lot with fanboys in another forum and I can see what Chris had to go through in the past. Not very fun...

Well that's pretty much it on my part. I always anticipate the next Gundamn ep though the approximate 2 week wait is sometimes a pain but hey at least I even get to listen to a new ep so I can't complain.

Keep up the great work guys!
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
jabman025

actually found the show purely by accident, I was searching for information about a specific mech.....don't remember what it was but it wasn't a gundam. Point being that the info I found was on mahq. I used the site for info for a couple months or so and then noticed the podcast and decided to check it out.
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025