The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Rawinder

Re: The Official Gundam: The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

Gatx wrote:Isn't the concept of this actually really ridiculous when you think about it? This is an adaptation of an adaption. I know "The Origin" is lauded as a really great manga and fleshes out and alters parts of the story, and but still, it's just kind of bizarre to me, like if someone made a novelization of the Harry Potter films, or made a movie version of the novelization of the Star Wars trilogy.
It's like the Gundam equivalent of Rebuild of Evangelion movies.
Imperial

You think remakes are strange in this day and age?

Did you miss Hollywodd's sudden, inescapable fascination with remaking American classics and Japanese horror movies?
This space for rent
zerogradius

Gatx wrote:Isn't the concept of this actually really ridiculous when you think about it? This is an adaptation of an adaption. I know "The Origin" is lauded as a really great manga and fleshes out and alters parts of the story, and but still, it's just kind of bizarre to me, like if someone made a novelization of the Harry Potter films, or made a movie version of the novelization of the Star Wars trilogy.
Mobile Suit Gundam is over thirty years old, and its illogical to think that kids are going to care about an anime that old forever. A think it was due for a remake, just like other popular anime series have done through the years, such as Cyborg 009, which has had three anime series within thirty years that all revolved around the same storyline.
LightningCount

New article on manga's end: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 727f6.html

"I felt like I finally understand who Char really is," Yasuhiko said.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
tHeWasTeDYouTh

it's a real shame in the first episode the first Gundam is destroyed by the Zakus. If they stay true to the manga this anime should have some real awesome parts like when the Zaku uses the arm machineguns to kill the federation soldiers in the training facility and Fraw Bow's family being blown to pieces

awesome can't wait!!!
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
ShadowCell

tHeWasTeDYouTh wrote:If they stay true to the manga this anime should have some real awesome parts like when the Zaku uses the arm machineguns to kill the federation soldiers in the training facility and Fraw Bow's family being blown to pieces
um, what the hell

am i missing something here?
Kratos

ShadowCell wrote:
um, what the hell

am i missing something here?
Possibly, if you haven't read any of The Origin. There's a bit where a Zaku infiltrating Side 7's "construction block" (a cover for the area where they're testing the RX-78-01) attacks a command center therein, and uses arm vulcans to tear the staff to shreds. As for Fraw's family, it's the same as what I remember in the series; there's an explosion, and her grandpa and mom die.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
ShadowCell

i know, i'm just not seeing how that's "awesome"
Strike Zero

Perhaps we're supposed to find the merciless and violent slaughter of unsuspecting soldiers and citizens elating?

Anywhoo, so long as the RX-78-01's fight gets a decent treatment, I'll be happy. That part was the shiz, yo.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Kratos

ShadowCell wrote:i know, i'm just not seeing how that's "awesome"
I'm guessing it's twofold: the new arm vulcans themselves, which are a neat addition; and the unflinching depiction of the effect that MS-scale artillery has on human-sized targets, something rarely depicted in Gundam (and even pretty rare in Origin - the only other time it happens in what I've read is during a guerilla raid in LA during the Garma arc).
TheGundamMKII

After looking at some of The Origin, I'm glad to say I'm looking forward to it.

At first, I thought it wouldn't be worth adapting, but it's different enough that it won't be like watching the exact same show with better animation.

It'll be kind of like the difference between the Fullmetal Alchemist T.V. run and Brotherhood. Similar initial story and characters, but different atmosphere & better animation for the latter.
abaoaqu

Get this:

At Jaburo, Char
Spoiler
apparently gets supported by indigenous South American tribesmen
Сиг Зион!
Kratos

abaoaqu wrote:Get this:

At Jaburo, Char
Spoiler
apparently gets supported by indigenous South American tribesmen
Well. Sort of.
Spoiler
He meets with them and arms them, to be sure, but they don't take part in any of the actual combat in Jaburo. Char uses their grievances concerning the Federation (mostly that the Feds came into their rainforest and built a gigantic military base) as a means of getting their cooperation, but they don't support him in battle.

The impression I got (which could be erroneous; my Japanese is decent, but not amazing) was that they played a role similar to that of the guerillas in 08th MS Team, before Shiro rallied them, early in the war; that is, they attacked both sides actively, preventing either from forming a wider presence in the Amazon proper. The Feds were driven into Jaburo, and Zeon left the Amazon entirely, becoming limited to aerial bombardments. Char's negotiations are all for the tribes to allow their movement through the Amazon, so he can carry out his sneak attack on Jaburo.
domino

I've always wanted to see an update to the Original Gundam, if only to convince more people to enjoy the original story and not only Gundam Wing and 00 because they're "prettier".

With new animation and an already amazing storyline, I suspect that this will find its way to the US very quickly.
Robertthecrimson

I hope it's good. That way I can use it a gateway drug to get other people into universal century gundam.
Kratos

Robertthecrimson wrote:I hope it's good. That way I can use it a gateway drug to get other people into universal century gundam.
The original series is already great for that. While it's true it can be a bit of a challenge to get people to try it in the first place due to dated animation, people tend to fall in love with it pretty fast. In the past 6 months, no less than three friends of mine have started watching it with little to no expectations and just loved it like nobody's business.

That said, I'm a big fan of The Origin manga, so whatever comes of this should be great.
DeganUAB

I agree. I think the movies are the best way to get someone in. The characterization is so great even when compared with the television show. 0079
Now is the time for mankind to stand up for the future.
Deathzealot

A new anime based on Origin? Sweet! This should be good. I wonder if they are keeping the idea that Mobile Suits are not a new thing during the OYW. With the Guntank and I think the Guncannon created long before the start of the series, and used by both sides. It is has been a while since I read Origin but I do remember that part and really enjoyed it.

Anyways my two cents...
Arbiter GUNDAM

I wonder why Sunrise is being so silent on this? Perhaps they don't want people to get drawn away from Gundam AGE?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Kratos

I'd imagine it's because they have 2 fairly large Gundam animation projects going on at the moment, and so not a whole lot of resources are being directed towards The Origin. It's probably still in the pre-production stages, so there isn't a whole lot to show or talk about.

Side note, though: I guess Yas is doing a Sayla miniseries about her in the early 0080's? Could be pretty interesting.