"Universe"?

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Gatx

"Universe"?

Just something that's been bugging me for a while. Really quick question. Every once in a while, while watching/reading some comedy anime/manga, some character will shout of "UNIVERSE!!!!!" What exactly is that a reference too? I know Harry Ord shouts it out (for really no discernible reason) during his battle with Gym Ghingnham, but I can't imagine that Turn A is popular enough for people to reference it.
Destiny_Gundam

Re: "Universe"?

That's exactly what it's referencing.

Of course Turn A is popular enough. It's still Gundam, after all.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Gatx

Then along those same lines, separate question, is Harry Ord the first character to have that specific style of sunglasses? I also see those every so often.
Destiny_Gundam

I've never seen anyone else wear those bug eye style glasses.
Ouroboric

Harry Ord is such a boss

" Your just the Queen's lap dog"

" SO WHAT!"(kicks major amount of ass) :lol:
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
kmagryffindor
Location: Brittania or the Union, depends on what you perfer. (Ohio)

Gatx wrote:Just something that's been bugging me for a while. Really quick question. Every once in a while, while watching/reading some comedy anime/manga, some character will shout of "UNIVERSE!!!!!" What exactly is that a reference too? I know Harry Ord shouts it out (for really no discernible reason) during his battle with Gym Ghingnham, but I can't imagine that Turn A is popular enough for people to reference it.
I guess it depends on context. If you believe in universal chi and karma, you may yell Universe as a curse.

Example: It's raining and I'm nearly to my car, soaked but knowing all I have to do is un lock it and I'll be warm and dry. I reach in my pockets and see I have forgotten my keys. I look to the sky and yell Universe.

Some people will yell God. It's a common substitute for those of use who have no religious views.

I may have misinterpreted your question.
reeoyuy

I don't think Harry was cursing, to me it sounded like he's encouraging himself, like "Universe, lend me your power!" or something.
kmagryffindor
Location: Brittania or the Union, depends on what you perfer. (Ohio)

reeoyuy wrote:I don't think Harry was cursing, to me it sounded like he's encouraging himself, like "Universe, lend me your power!" or something.
Ahhh, ok. That make sense too. To curse or call upon another power. It makes sense that in a show like Gundam more characters would call upon a power from the greater universe.

Basically, in the end I don't feel other show's are quoting ole Harry.
Destiny_Gundam

kmagryffindor wrote:Basically, in the end I don't feel other show's are quoting ole Harry.
I assure you, they are.

Universe is just some random battle cry Harry shouted out. It doesn't really mean anything and it's definitely not common. The random silliness of the line is what makes it so memorable. Who else would other shows be quoting if not him? Well, Loran will say it in Dynasty Warriors Gundam but it's obvious where he gets it from.

I think Hayate the Combat Butler may have used it too, but that manga is all about referencing other shows, especially Gundam. The main heroine is a Gundam fan and Turn A is on her "must see" list.

Turn A isn't some obscure show no one's heard of, so it's not strange that people reference it.
Robertthecrimson

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
kmagryffindor wrote:Basically, in the end I don't feel other show's are quoting ole Harry.
I assure you, they are.

Universe is just some random battle cry Harry shouted out. It doesn't really mean anything and it's definitely not common. The random silliness of the line is what makes it so memorable. Who else would other shows be quoting if not him? Well, Loran will say it in Dynasty Warriors Gundam but it's obvious where he gets it from.

I think Hayate the Combat Butler may have used it too, but that manga is all about referencing other shows, especially Gundam. The main heroine is a Gundam fan and Turn A is on her "must see" list.

Turn A isn't some obscure show no one's heard of, so it's not strange that people reference it.
Turn A isn't an obscure show to hard core mecha fans. But to general anime fans you'd be lucky to find any one even heard of it. Although I'm glad it's getting a dvd release finally.
Destiny_Gundam

A lot of creators themselves are hardcore fans.

At any rate, unless some specific examples are given it's hard to say. I brought up Hayate no Gotoku before and that manga-ka is definitely a fan. The manga is littered with Gundam references.