Fate/Zero

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Destiny_Gundam

Fate/Zero

Type Moon fans, what we've been waiting for has finally arrived!

Episode one is 45 minutes long and gets all of the set up out of the way. As such, it is a bit slow and tedious but that's sure to change in future episodes once the action gets started. The animation looks spectacular as you would expect from the people who brought us Kara no Kyoukai.

Having advanced knowledge of events is bitter sweet, though.
Spoiler
My heart breaks every time I see Kariya and Sakura T_T
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
SonicSP

Re: Fate/Zero

Looking forward to it. I do know a bit of spoilers on Fate Zero, but not all. Still, good to have it as an anime finally and should be easier to adapt then say the game.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, definitely darker than Fate/Stay Night.

After this, we'll just need the Heaven's Feel route (probably an OVA movie like Unlimited Blade Works was) and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Destiny_Gundam

UBW had a theatrical release. I think Heaven's Feel would be ideal as a multipart OVA, though. A lot of the content wouldn't be appropriate for TV and the plot is too extensive for a single movie (UBW did a lot of cramming as it was). All I'll say is that HF better get an anime at some point, damn it!

I doubt Hollow/Ataraxia would ever get animated due to its nature as a fan disc and its time looping storyline that doesn't fit with any of the previous game(/anime)'s endings. It's about as likely as a Kagetsu Tohya or Melty Blood anime.

In other news, it's been announced that Fate/Zero is pulling a 00: it'll be split into two parts with the 2nd starting in April 2012.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, UBW did feel a little rushed and we don't really get a lot of the emotional feel that would be there otherwise...like at certain parts...
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Zeonic Glory

Just finished episode 2 and I've gotta say, I've been quite satisfied so far. ufotable has been keeping up with Kara no Kyoukai quite nicely, which I find to be a tough act to follow.

One of my favorite bits from the first episode is the look on Iri's face when Kiritsugu receives the fax. Her eyes show the sheer amazement that someone from the traditional magus world would find from seeing something like a fax machine. While I'm already counting down to certain choice scenes from the light novels, I find myself already looking forward to the soundtracks being released.
Spoiler
Anyone else feeling hit by the double whammy in the first two episodes? Kariya, as Destiny_Gundam mentioned is hard enough for me to watch, but seeing Kiritsugu play with Ilya is bordering on heartbreaking for me.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Dark Duel

I am.
Anyway, just caught up to Episode 3 and I wanted to share my first impressions of the various Masters and their Servants

1. Lancer/Kayneth Archibald El-Melloi
Spoiler
The Master is a scumbag. It took me a few moments originally because I didn't know the characters' names yet to decide why I instantly hated him upon hearing his voice. Then I learned his name and the "Archibald" clinched it - Kayneth is voiced by the very same seiyuu who voiced Archibald Grimms in SRWOG: The Inspector.
As for Lancer. Holy CRAP, where to start! He's voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa, for starters. Plus the dude DUAL-WIELDS SPEARS. He hasn't yet shown us how much arse he can kick with those, as Ep3 ends with his bout against Saber just about to begin. (Hang on, wasn't Lancer the first opponent we see Saber engaging in the original FSN too?)
More than that though, I get the impression that as much as his Master is scum, Lancer himself is an honorable fighter, moreso at least than his successor in the previous two works. Unfortunately we know going in he's going to die.
2. Tokiomi Tohsaka/Archer
Spoiler
Well, Gilgamesh is a known quantity, so I won't spend too much time on how he's an arrogant, egocentric jerkoff. He was pretty cool when he Gate-of-Babylon'd Assassin in ep2, but he's still a jerkoff. (Come to think of it, so was the original Archer - just not as much)
My immediate reaction to his Master though was something along the lines of "Holy crap it's Aizen!" - and he really is a conniving bastard, too. I'm curious to see what happens to him. That said, he's a smooth SOB. As villains go, I like him.
3. Kotomine Kirei/Assassin
Spoiler
Again, Kirei's a known factor so I won't waste my time on him. Assassin...they're creepy. Really creepy. The chick's kind of hot, but still the whole lot of them are just creeepy. IMO they better fit the Assassin archetype than the one in the original FSN, but I liked him better
4. Waver Velvet/Rider
Spoiler
The Master's a pansy. I mean come on, even his name screasm "PANSY!!!!". And he makes 00 S1 Saji look badass.
Rider...kind of annoys me, but he's hilarious. Haven't really seem him do much besides stuff his face and watch war flicks on TV, but he's got a kickass chariot(pulled by, of all things, oxen). He's such a big dude that I kinda look forward to seeing him fight somebody.
5. Uryuu Ryuunosuke/Caster
Spoiler
"complete psychopathic monster" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of describing these two. They've only been in one scene, and it involved the massacre of an entire family. I get the feeling this guy(the Master) kills for kicks. And the Servant's worse.
6. Matou Kariya/Berserker
Spoiler
As yet we've seen almost nothing of Berserker, as he was visible only a moment at the time of his Summoning and has not appeared since. As for Kariya...my GOD. I'm at a loss for words - it's like every time he's on-screen I feel like I'm being kicked in the gut. Poor guy.
7. Saber/Emiya Kiritsugu/Irisviel von Einzbern
Spoiler
Again, Saber is a known quantity, so there's nothing I'll say there.
I'm going to be honest, Ilyasviel was one of my two least favorite characters in the original FSN anime. Her mother though is a totally different story. Kiritsugu I don't really like much, but her I do and to me it's just heart-breaking to watch her knowing that she'll come to a bad end.
Overall I liked Rider, Caster, Archer, and Assassin better in the original Fate/Stay Night, but so far I prefer /Zero's Lancer. Saber's the same obviously, and for now I'll reserve judgement on Berserker.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
APendragon

I think you'll find your well founded on liking Lancer, he's one of my favorites among the Servants, as was HF5's Lancer. And yeah, Saber ends up fighting against Lancer first in each Heaven's Feel she's participated in haha. Poor thing, always fighting someone with a range advantage right off.

I so very much agree about Kariya and Berseker (who's another favorite of mine if only because of who he is and all the crazy awesome stuff he can do). I want him to win so bad, poor Kariya. He's probably the most righteously motivated of the Masters by far, but we all know how it's gonna end for him, and I just hate that. He's such a good guy.

I think Archer's a little more sufferable in this war than in HF5. He got a lot worse after the end of Fate/Zero, so we don't really see him being quite as much as a jerk as he is by then. I like him on principle of him being fun to watch though haha.
Destiny_Gundam

I don't care much for Zero Lancer. He's nowhere near as badass as FSN Lancer.
Zeonic Glory

Considering his heroic backstory, I can't help but feel sorry for Zero Lancer. I can't really draw a fair comparison between him and Lancer, seeing as he has F/SN and F/HA to show how he puts the cool in
Spoiler
Cú Chulainn.
Zero Berserker is, quite possibly, my favorite Servant out of any of the Fate entries. Zero Berserker's abilities make for what I find to be the most memorable battle of Fate/Zero and its motivation for participating in the war is rather touching. Also, the image theme on the OIST.
Warning: When using Minovsky Particles, please do not drive or operate heavy machinery. If you have a Newtype Flash lasting longer than 6 hours, please call 911 as this may be a sign of a serious and life threatening side-effect. Ask your doctor if taking Minovsky Particles are right for you.
Destiny_Gundam

It was Unlimited Blade Works where Lancer was the most badass. In Heaven's Feel he gets killed off by True Assassin in a throw away scene.

I dunno, Zero Lancer has always rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it's because of Hikaru Midorikawa's voice. I still wonder why he was the only Zero servant included in Unlimited Codes.

But yeah, Zero Berserker is pretty epic.
Zeonic Glory

I get the feeling that they just wanted to go with a less expected entry in F/UC. I rather enjoy playing as him.
Dark Duel

Okay, after reading y'all's posts I went ahead and checked out /Zero Lancer and Berserker on the Type-Moon Wiki. Was nice to see that my first impression of Lancer was correct, though what happens to him kind of sucks...as for Berserker...
HOLY. CRAP.
Could very well be my second favorite Servant EVER based on what I read about him. I CANNOT WAIT to see this dude in action.
So yeah, I definitely prefer /Zero's Lancer and Berserker to the ones from the original*.
(*with the caveat that I'm referring to Lancer in the Fate scenario as depicted in the original anime, not Unlimited Blade Works; Going by UBW, I like both Lancers equally.)
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Zeonic Glory

I think Waver might grow on you a bit more as Fate/Zero goes on, as well.
APendragon

Hecks yeah Berserker's amazing, I'm so looking forward to seeing his fight scenes animated. <3 Trumps Hercules in every respect.

And yeah, agreed, Waver probably gets the most out of his time with Rider than anyone else does with their servants. They're good for each other, I think.

On the subject of Caster, has it ever been explained why he apparently calls upon Cthulhu to work some of his magic? Was that just a throwaway line to the big tentacled guy, or has Nasu ever actually drawn a connection between Cthulhu and the Nasuverse, or is he just implying Caster fell into the very wrong crowd after his stint with
Spoiler
Joan of Arc
?
Zeonic Glory

Wouldn't the whole Cthulhu deal with Caster be attributed more towards Urobuchi, seeing as he wrote Fate/Zero?

While he didn't write Demonbane, perhaps all the Lovecraft present within it influenced him?
APendragon

Ah, that's true, good call.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did, it pervades so many works. I hadn't realized before that it had really hit Japan, but apparently so.

It definitely makes Caster creepier though, not that he needs any help in being that. I was kind of impressed that they managed to make him look halfway nice when he closed his eyes and smiled at the little boy as he encouraged him to leave. I think the novels went so far as to call him handsome? I don't think I'd apply that to him, but he looked like a kindly old fellow for a brief moment there.

As freaky as he looks, I was pleasantly surprised they could do that haha.
Zeonic Glory

I've got a copy of Fate/Zero material and in the character sketches section, there's a drawing of him looking kind of handsome (normal eyes, slightly longer hair, a more rounded face).

Is it bad that I have a screenshots of the sequence in which that poor kid gets snatched and crushed by the tentacles? Despite having read the scene, seeing it animated still made me jump.
Destiny_Gundam

Kinda disappointed that they went the conspicuous CG route with Berserker.
APendragon

I dunno, there were times it was conspicuous and kind of weird, and other times I didn't notice it so much. It definitely makes him appear otherworldly and difficult to view clearly, as he's supposed to be. I wonder if when Saber realizes who it is and his distortion effect thing is dispelled that they'll draw him normal, or just without all the awesome waver-y effects attached.

Overall awesome episode though. I love Berserker for his looks, abilities, and origin, and I think he lived up to his potential awesomeness.