Old Fan Playing LOTS of Catch-Up! (aka Burke Rukes returns!)

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Antares

Re: Old Fan Playing LOTS of Catch-Up! (aka Burke Rukes retur

Wow, it would be great to SEED again "for the first time", and in that sense I am a bit envious, even. :) Destiny, on the other hand, only improved somewhat after I was willing to give it a second viewing.

I pretty much agree with everything LightingCount said about the shows you have backlogged, and my understanding is that they are quite often shared here. However, you have also missed out on the epic flame-wars when Seed Destiny came out. That series was polarizing to say the least, and Gundam00 also had its vocal defenders and detractors alike. It might be interesting to see how you find it, and see if we can discuss it amicably and without rancor this much afterwards. I assume the mods we will be following that threat with some trepidation. :D For the record, I am a shameless Athrun-fanboy throughout GS and GSD. :mrgreen:
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Burke Rukes

Antares wrote:Wow, it would be great to SEED again "for the first time", and in that sense I am a bit envious, even. :) Destiny, on the other hand, only improved somewhat after I was willing to give it a second viewing.
I just posted my thread in the Anime & Manga section, titled "Burke's First Impressions of Gundam Seed." My first post there is pretty long-winded, I cover a lot of different stuff. But so far, it's a great start.

I've heard that there's a lot of hate and controversy over Destiny, though I don't know any details. I'm just going to ignore any details about it that I can until I watch it myself with an open mind and see how it goes. :)
Believe in the sign of Zeta!

- Burke

Top current headline from The Weekly Earth Sphere Post:
COLONIES RISK GRAVITY LOSS DISASTER FROM LABOR STRIKE!
Grav-Making Hamsters Demand Well-Lubricated Wheels, Shorter Hours, Yummier Food
AmuroNT1

I dunno if I'd want to see SEED again for the first time, not because of anything to do with the show, but because a difference of opinion is what lead to me and my friends on GameFAQs getting into a shouting match with Chris and the guys here back in 2003 or so. It's all so embarrassing in retrospect...

Anyhoo, back on topic, it's always awesome to have another Big Name Fan around; it really makes me happy that Gundam fandom has (mostly) progressed beyond the stupid factional in-fighting of the early 2000s and we're moving, however gradually, towards a solid and unified base of people who share a common love for all parts of this kooky Japanese cartoon. I look forward to hearing your insights on both old and new, Burke. Welcome, and I hope your stay is a pleasant one.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Zeonista

Antares wrote: However, you have also missed out on the epic flame-wars when Seed Destiny came out. That series was polarizing to say the least, and Gundam00 also had its vocal defenders and detractors alike. It might be interesting to see how you find it, and see if we can discuss it amicably and without rancor this much afterwards.
If Burke can get us to have an amicable discussion of GSD and second-season 00, he will have done the Gundam community a great service by his return! :D Things go t a little carried away at times, so maybe a review at distance by a new viewer with no battle-axe to grind could be a plus for everyone involved.

That being said, if we really want to get Burke to watch a mecha show that really exercised its fans' feelings, we can have him watch Code Geass! :lol:
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Arbiter GUNDAM

Suzaku did it.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Burke Rukes

AmuroNT1 wrote:Anyhoo, back on topic, it's always awesome to have another Big Name Fan around; it really makes me happy that Gundam fandom has (mostly) progressed beyond the stupid factional in-fighting of the early 2000s and we're moving, however gradually, towards a solid and unified base of people who share a common love for all parts of this kooky Japanese cartoon. I look forward to hearing your insights on both old and new, Burke. Welcome, and I hope your stay is a pleasant one.
Thanks for the warm welcome, AmuroNT1. It's good to see a few old, familliar names around, but the welcomes from newer fans has been heart-warming. I hope I don't cause any waves - I'm just here to have fun and trade friendly banter. Maybe now that some time has passed since Seed, Destiny and 00 have come out, cooler heads will prevail on current discussions for them. I've heard that Destiny and the 2nd season of 00 are very controversial for love/hate and popularity. But going into them knowing pretty much nothing, I'm hoping I can give you all as much to think about and enjoy as you all have been giving me in my review thread of Seed in the Anime & Manga section. You've all been great in helping clarify points and give hints of things to look for. It's been a fun ride so far. :)
Believe in the sign of Zeta!

- Burke

Top current headline from The Weekly Earth Sphere Post:
COLONIES RISK GRAVITY LOSS DISASTER FROM LABOR STRIKE!
Grav-Making Hamsters Demand Well-Lubricated Wheels, Shorter Hours, Yummier Food