Ep. 015: Redline

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 015: Redline

Chaos Theater Ep. 015 - "Redline"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 128 mins, 42 sec. (2:08:42) 59.0 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:41:32

02. Discussion: "Redline" and Trava and Dead Leaves
Runtime: 0:42:04 - 1:22:51

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:23:18 - 2:07:12

It's time to make your eyes bleed as we discuss the insane, pulse-pounding futuristic racing movie Redline. Aside from taking about the movie, we also discuss its prequel OVA, Trava: Fist Planet along with the stylistically related OVA Dead Leaves. As usual, we also catch up on what we're up to, fry up the sacred cow of used games and answer your questions in the Mailbag. Next time, we're on the case of the Origami Killer with a discussion of the noir mystery game Heavy Rain.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Yellow Line" from Redline by James Shimoji
"Gori Rider" from Redline by James Shimoji
"Dead Heat" from Redline by James Shimoji

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

Re: Episode 015: Redline

All I would like to say is Redline and it's associated series sound rather fun.
May be something to look in to.

As for the Sacred Cow I agree.
I hate how they try to justify their stance on all of their things.
Sometimes used games are the only way to get hold of hard to find games and it is better then piracy
I regularly get my games usually 2nd hand, not in all cases though.

They just complain because, they don't get a cut of the deal, video game developers in some cases may have reason to complain.
Whilst others may not, depends on their financial situations.

So that is my opinion on that in brief and yeah I also trade in games occassionally towards a new game or pre-order occassionally.
People have to get money somehow anyway to pay for things, the world economy aint exactally stable right now.

Also I will finally say I look forward to Heavy Rain episode with General Hate's unleashed hatred on the game.
Although I would throw out a jaunt of hate of "screw you" over the Shirley thing.
At least Neo agrees on that much. :P
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shinigam_Newtype

In regards to the Sacred cow topic, I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, particularly Pedro's point about some games unethically being sold at full price, despite the content.
In particular, I'll refer to MAG. There's no F*cking way I'll pay full price for a multiplayer only game, that lacks even competent graphics and servers. The game in essence takes mere hours to complete and IMO delivers an experience far inferior to most of the FPS's I've played.
Honestly charging full price for that game was a crime.

I also agree with Chris's point about used games possibly being more beneficial in the long term.
I bought Arkham Asylum used and loved it so much, I plan on purchasing Arkham City brand new on release day.

Also, to agree with Mu La Flaga, I'm really looking forward to your next episode.
I only played the demo, but I quite liked what little I played of Heavy Rain. Also i've read some pretty positive reviews and had friends heavily recommend the game to me, so I'm
interested in hearing what your criticisms of the game are.

Mu La Flaga wrote: video game developers in some cases may have reason to complain
I could be mistaken, but in the majority of cases, I don't think developers see a penny from even brand new game sales as they're only paid by the publisher. So it's the publishers procuring all the whining.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Wingnut

Well, you guys talking about Redline has certainly gotten my interest up in this movie. I just might have to give it a watch myself.

Also Chris, still Summer Ale? I would have thought you would be into Octoberfest by now.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Mu La Flaga

Shinigam_Newtype wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote: video game developers in some cases may have reason to complain
I could be mistaken, but in the majority of cases, I don't think developers see a penny from even brand new game sales as they're only paid by the publisher. So it's the publishers procuring all the whining.
To me I wonder where the money goes, if the vidoe game industry makes more then the movies nowadays.

So it's something to kind of think about who lines their pockets with money the most from sales?
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Administrator

Wingnut wrote:Well, you guys talking about Redline has certainly gotten my interest up in this movie. I just might have to give it a watch myself.

Also Chris, still Summer Ale? I would have thought you would be into Octoberfest by now.
Who says I can't drink both? Incidentally, the Summer Ale is gone now, so it's only Oktoberfest from now on.
hotlimit

Redline is a crazy movie, the art style actually reminds me a lot of Viewtiful Joe, especially the comicbook-style shading on everything. I think I might have to see Dead Leaves some day though, it sounds even crazier!

Oh, and I got my mom into Breaking Bad and she loves it.
kayone73

hotlimit wrote:Redline is a crazy movie, the art style actually reminds me a lot of Viewtiful Joe, especially the comicbook-style shading on everything. I think I might have to see Dead Leaves some day though, it sounds even crazier!

Oh, and I got my mom into Breaking Bad and she loves it.
Dead Leaves is available for streaming, dubbed on netflix if you don't want to commit to a disc rental or purchase.

I saw it, yeah its pretty insane and very stylized.
Destiny_Gundam

All I know about Redline is how it apparently was a box office flop, coming nowhere near meeting the cost to make it and being defeated quite handily by Unlimited Blade Works and the Haruhi movie.

Racing's not my thing so I have no real desire to see it.

I disagree with Chris's comment to stay away from the Tales series. Sure, Bamco doesn't bring them all over, but the ones they do are definitely worth playing and they're all stand alone stories anyways.

Another franchise I got into recently that I'd recommend is the Star Ocean series. All 4 main games are available in english and it's got a similar real time battle system to the one the Tales series has.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

hotlimit wrote:Oh, and I got my mom into Breaking Bad and she loves it.
You've done your mother and the world a service.
hotlimit

Destiny_Gundam wrote: Racing's not my thing so I have no real desire to see it.
That is a terrible reason not to watch it. The movie has about as much to do with racing as Cowboy Bebop does. Basically you see a bunch of weird outer space crap and some futuristic vehicles flying around shooting missiles.
Destiny_Gundam

If it doesn't sound appealing to me then I'm not going to actively seek it out, simple as that.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I disagree with Chris's comment to stay away from the Tales series. Sure, Bamco doesn't bring them all over, but the ones they do are definitely worth playing and they're all stand alone stories anyways.
My point is not to stay away from them because they're bad, it's to not get too attached to them because there's no sane pattern to how Bamco decides to release them in the West.
Destiny_Gundam

You can still get attached to individual games since aside from a few they're all stand alone. My love of Abyss isn't hampered by the fact we probably won't get Xillia.
hotlimit

Destiny_Gundam wrote:If it doesn't sound appealing to me then I'm not going to actively seek it out, simple as that.
That's just being stubborn :(
Gundam never sounded appealing to me, and look what happened!
Mu La Flaga

I think the core problme here is Bamco themselves.

Look what happened with the VS series, after Gundam vs Zeta Gundam no more released in US.

In Australia I only got Federation vs Zeon Deluxe Plus.

So there is that it in some regions they got worse.
For which I would throw out a perosnall screw you Bamco.

But when it comes ot DBZ games which are definete hits for their wallets, they release em.
Destiny_Gundam

hotlimit wrote:That's just being stubborn :(
Gundam never sounded appealing to me, and look what happened!
I'm not saying I wouldn't give it a chance nor am I denying that I might like it. I'm just not going to go out and acquire it myself. If some one I knew had it and was like "Let's watch this movie together!" I wouldn't say no.
Mu La Flaga wrote:But when it comes ot DBZ games which are definete hits for their wallets, they release em.
Don't forget the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games.

I like Bandai Namco because the games they make are ones I enjoy playing.
Mu La Flaga

On a note of something related to the sacred cow.
Well if anyone has Resident Evil Mercenaries for the 3DS that seemed like something stupid Capcom tried to implement for the game.

There has been a small rumor of them releasing a patch to "correct" this issue.
prince_of_zeon

Ahh, Redline. I watched it after hearing this segment and yeah, it was totally off the wall. It reminded me a lot of Suda51's No More Heroes games in terms of art style. Good call, as always guys.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
mobiusdiablo

Nice episode, as always, and now I want to get an HDTV so I can enjoy Blu-Ray MORE with stuff like Redline.

Most bizarre anime story from me was actually my first day as a McSlave...I mean employee for McDonalds. I'd just finished watching Higurashi the other night, and the boss had me and the other maintenance dude cleaning out the bathrooms and generally stacking more work on us. Frustrated, I muttered something about Oyashiro-sama's curse under my breath. My coworker heard it - and laughed; as it turns out, Higurashi is one of his favorite series. Thanks to that random comment of mine, we became fast friends to this day.

Yeah, Chris, I know what you're talking about with Oblivion and the beggars.

Beggar: Could you spare me a coin?
*gives coin*
Beggar: Why thank you kind lady (not ashamed to say I use a girl character)
*asks about Gray Fox*
Beggar: *sudden refined voice* Go to the garden at midnight, that's all I can tell you.
WTF?!

Also looking forward to the dual-wielding possibilities amongst other things. Skyrim is sure to kill my social life if I'm not careful.

Finally, thanks for the recommendations on different gaming companies/franchises. I tried to get into Persona with P3P, but as my PSP tends to take a lot of abuse and I use it as a music player/podcast holder, I keep on losing track and my place. Now that I'm unemployed for the time being, I might be able to suck some hours into it. Thank you for warning me about Tales, I've been curious about that franchise for a while, but I've been hearing mixed things about it, likely because of how its release is handled.

As far as NIS goes, I actually got Ar tonelico from a bargain bin, a blind buy for about 10 bucks, and though it's a little rough, it's a nice, enjoyable game, for me anyway, so I went and bought Qoga, the third one (since 2 is harder to find in brick and mortar stores and has a...few issues) and I fell in love with Qoga - shamelessly perverted at parts and I enjoy every bit of it. Seeing as I liked both of those, I decided to try out their Atelier series as well. You guys are right, used purchases facilitate new ones in the long run!

PS - I HAVE played FFXII, and though I didn't care for it at first, I grew to like it as time went on, especially the Gambit system - I was so happy when my normally 'AI' controlled characters acted the way I WANTED AND NEEDED THEM TO. Which confuses me as to why they ditched it for XIII, but that's a monster unto itself.
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!