The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk 1

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
kayone73

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk 1

This is neither spoilers nor speculation or prediction, but think about the setting of Turn A's CC which is revealed to take place (I forget) approx 10K years from the UC timeline. What if this space calendar for AGE takes place in another distant future and the UE were some offshoot of humanity, similar to the Moon Race, but they have been so long removed from the main body of humanity that their origins have been long forgotten, or they themselves have physically mutated and their technology has evolved in a very different direction from the rest of humanity...so much so that they 'seem' alien to the protagonists, until it comes out Ina gradually laid out reveal thru the story, maybe across more than one generation.

What do people think if the story was handled in this fashion (it probably won't, so nobody can complain about spoilers).

I can't even begin to guess at the motivations of the UE until more information about them unfolds in the story or is purposely revealed by the storywriters. Without those bits of info, it's too difficult. Will just roll with 'mysterious enemy' for now, knowing no more than the characters do, makes the story far more interesting that way.
Ouroboric

If that was the case i would say that i would be very excited to see it happen, the idea of aliens in Gundam throws me off quite a bit, seems like too much of a deviation to me.(Merrybell and Gym from Turn A is about as alien as i can handle haha). And
Spoiler
it was mentioned in Turn A that those in the space colonies set off in them throughout space,hence why there was no colonies in Turn A, which would make your idea even more plausible
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
Vent Noir

Just saw episode 2, which was a very fun episode. Just a few random thoughts...
Spoiler
- Grodek was cool. The captain is a jerk who can't be bothered to save civilians without orders from high command, so Grodek just Gundamjacks the Diva instead.
- Yurin, she is a TIFA!
- Flit made the AGE system himself? Hey, Kira, your "write a new OS" trick from the first episode of SEED jsut got upstaged.
- The DODS is the rifle that will pierce the heavens! (Well, the only explanation I have for how an energy beam spinning increases its penetration is that it's somehow channelling Spiral Power)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
E08

Regrading the previous discussion about how unprepared the citizens of Nora were, i remembered that Flit's friend, Dique, mention that UEs don't go places with alot of people...

Some thoughts on the 2nd ep.
-I wonder how they are going to explain Yurin and Grodek...
-the crews(or at least 2 of them) seems to be rather careful about the orders they receive.
-was not expecting the colony destroyer to be a hand held equipment and did they fire 2 of those?
-UE carrier should be nearby, seeing how fast zedas is launched (unless they have teleportation system). UE seems to be well prepared, a bit too well....

For some conspiracy theory fun... What one of the bridge bunnies say make me think that UE purposely attack Nora because they know the Gundam is there. Perhaps the reason why they attack Orvan was because they knew that the Asuno family who is connected to Gundam lives there. Of course, all those assumption i make rest on UE actually being human...

Another reason why they attack Nora could be they discover Diva and follow it to Nora, in that case, what i said above can be discarded. I have 1 more theory but i will wait till more info are released.
Destiny_Gundam

I liked the part where the Gundam is ejected from the colony only to run right into the Gafran that was waiting outside :lol:
Spoiler
Something's not quite right on the Diva's end of things, though. The bridge crew are rightly suspicious and Emily might have seen too much...
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
2NA Fish

Thoughts on ep 2:

Emily is a huge brat. Kamille Vidan would be proud.

Yay for Federation having the usual jerks amongst its ranks.

AGE System is soooo overpowered and unfair. I don't think even GaoGaiGar had equipment as unfair as that. It's bordering on magic. :lol:

All in all, some very fun developments to make up for the mediocre first episode. A few questionable bits in the plot, but if you treat it like the kid's show it is, it's really enjoyable. If they keep this up, we have a great series ahead.
APendragon

Well the manufacturing part of the AGE system isn't too far from believability. It seems mostly like a more evolved and refined version of the 3D printers we have today, except that it can apparently create more than just solid parts, but the electronics necessary to interface with the Gundam and all the complications that come with however beam weaponry works in AG.

How it comes up with a sudden and super-effective weapon in the first place, though, will be interesting to hear a good explanation of, especially without taking a good long time to sit and scan a Gafran or anything.
HellCat

I don't see Emily as a brat. She's clearly based on the classic UC 'female best friend' but with some much needed updating so she's not just some annoying shrew. It seems the combination of Fraw and Sayla isn't limited to her character design. As a whole in fact the show is generally doing well with the women. They're not the greatest females ever written (yet) but they're better then some of the 'I need a man to hang off!' of Gundams past.
Gundam AGEs Forum- Three destinies will form discussion.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
vick86

So two episodes in I have to say I quite like it. I think it's exactly what Gundam needs right now. 00 was fantastic in many regards and a creative triumph but it wasn't anywhere near as popular as Seed/Destiny. In the end it's all about selling toys. To do that they need to make a show that'll prove popular with kids. AGE will definitely achieve this.

After the experiment that was 00, personally I am glad they're going back to basics again. Obviously every Gundam show adds it's own little twist but there's no arguing against blueprint that's worked for over 30 years. Flit is once again a different take on the Gundam pilot. Most importantly he's as far away from the usual screwed up emotionally scarred bishonen protagonist you can get. Actually two episodes in there hasn't been a single emo or bishonen in sight, which is extremely unusual for a mecha show. Bless you Sunrise for understanding people like me who, 15 years after Eva started the trend just want the constant emo barrage to end.
APendragon

Now that I've watched the subs and caught more than the mundane dialogue...
Spoiler
How exactly does one spin an energy beam? >.> I get that the concept is like the rifling in a normal rifle, but how does that work for a beam? Aren't they perfectly straight by nature, unless reflected?
vick86

APendragon wrote:Now that I've watched the subs and caught more than the mundane dialogue...
Rule of cool, you're supposed to ignore the science.
Spoiler
after all spinning is more awesome than not spinning.
APendragon

vick86 wrote:
Rule of cool, you're supposed to ignore the science.
Spoiler
after all spinning is more awesome than not spinning.
You bring a very valid point to the table, it is indeed more awesome that way.

Anyone else have the feeling Yurin could be a UE herself or something? She's kinda Newtype-y, it wouldn't surprise me that the UE were nearer to Newtypes than the rest of humanity, due to living much further from the Earth, for whatever reason. I assume this has been brought up before, but if not I couldn't help but wonder about it.
vick86

I think it's pretty obvious. There's always more to A. Randomgirl who appears in an early episode than meets the eye and there would be a lot of drama once the truth comes out and she's befriended the enemy as it were.

Edit: She wasn't there by accident that's for sure and we still don't know what the UE was after. What if she's like an escaped princess or something.
Last edited by vick86 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sume Gai

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14089

There is a tech thread for the show if people would like to discuss details of the DOTS rifle or AGE Builder.

That aside Episode 2 is again quite interesting.
Spoiler
-They seem to have gotten very technical with the Colony collapse
-It was interesting to see arguments about authority among the Federation officers.
-Cool gun Captain Beard...
-The Female Bridge bunny seems to be taking on the position of the XO perhhaps she'll become a captain next generation.
-I definitely feel like there's some connection between Yurin and the UE, not only is she newtypish but that UE Flit ran into seemed to be drawn to her.
-I get the feeling our first named character death could be next episode.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
DuelGundam2099

Aside from the revealing of the AGE System capabilities and apparent Diva conspiracies there really wasn't much more to this ep than last week's. I have heard somewhere else that something is going to happen in next week's ep so I guess we'll just wait for that to see where everything is going.
balofo

sage subs are garbage. Why do they alter the perfect sunrise subs?
Vent Noir

APendragon wrote:Now that I've watched the subs and caught more than the mundane dialogue...
Spoiler
How exactly does one spin an energy beam? >.> I get that the concept is like the rifling in a normal rifle, but how does that work for a beam? Aren't they perfectly straight by nature, unless reflected?
As I said in my comments, it probably uses Spiral Energy.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Ouroboric

If someone is to die, i hope it's that little fat kid who follows Emily around, or Vargas, both of them really irritate me. Episode 2 was ok, the concept of the Age system is a throwback to lots of other Gundam series in a way(even the Rx-78 had the adaptability thing on it's side), just with new dressing(and more potential for many model kits of the same Gundam).
Spoiler
The newtype girl seems like she could make things interesting , and there is still plenty of room for them to develop the UE thing into something interesting.
It's still way to early for me to dismiss this, but so far it's quite "meh".
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
SonicSP

Wow, such an awesome episode, got me hooked from start to end. Really liked how they described and spent time on the evacuation for like half of the episode and Yurin is certainly an interesting character; she certainly knows too much. Its nice to see finally how the AGE Builder works too and I thought the fight at the end was sweet, even if short. Now I can understand why the DODS rifle was delivered from the Diva rather than being equiped to AGE-1 from the getgo (since AGE-1 wasn't with them). Also interesting to see some conflicts of interests between the central Federation commanders for the Diva and the colonist's welfare. And I guess the commander guy essentially stealing the position form the actual captain might have consequences in the future, possibly from both the crew and maybe even the central command.

Thought the last episode was just average, so this second one really surprised me and now I'm really having a hard time waiting for the next episode.