Guilty Crown

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Vent Noir

Guilty Crown

a.k.a. "This season's OTHER new mecha show".

I knew this shared some similarities with Code Geass, but I was hoping not to be thinking of Code Geass the whole darn time while I was watching the first episode. The exception is that Shu is far more of a "typical anime protagonist" than Lelouch (and of course, Lelouch's character was a huge part of what made Geass so damn fun to watch). Still, I'll give it a few more episodes and see if they take things in a different direction.

What did everyone else think?
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mu La Flaga

Re: Guilty Crown

I haven't seen, nor heard of it, but I am interested.
I assume it's a real robot entry?
Destiny_Gundam

It's only similar to Code Geass in the 'guy meets mysterious girl, gains powers' sense. Pulling swords out of people is not the same as making them obey you. It's not like Code Geass.

Oh, and there's a resistance group too but when is there ever not?

So yeah, I wouldn't go comparing it to Geass. If Shu dons a mask and leads the rebellion, then we'll talk.

Anyways, the series looks nice, the action was well done and the music was pretty great at points. While Shu is your typical wimpy high school kid his reactions are quite natural to the situation and even he recognises his patheticness and tries to do something about it.

Looks quite promising.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Vent Noir

Mu La Flaga wrote:I haven't seen, nor heard of it, but I am interested.
I assume it's a real robot entry?
Well, yeah, it looks to be so far. Of course, if it does end up going the way of Code Geass in the mecha department...
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Ouroboric

Just gave the first episode a watch, it seems like it could have some potential, but lots of elements just seemed cliche to me after seeing so many shows with the same kind of idea. I did enjoy the main characters inner speculation and some of the way ideas were brought to the table, so I'll be sure to follow it, the Mecha action was'nt half bad either.
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
Ryujin

It's interesting that the mecha don't seem to be actually manned, but are operated via telepresence with sensory feedback.

And the animation is by Production I.G--imho, that alone, on a show which has mecha & all sorts of techno-gewgaws, makes it worth taking a look at.
quasadra

i am surely interested, cliche or not. looking forward on how it develops. and the sword pulling thing reminds me of Shining Wind, hell, the entire scene is almost like they take it out from there.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
Destiny_Gundam

And really, what anime these days aren't full of cliches? I sure can't name any.
Ouroboric

Hence why i won't disregard it, but i would prefer some more originality,I'm sure with time the show will take off in it's unique direction, i find the first episode of most anime to be my least favorite anyways.
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
APendragon

I watched the episode on a whim while I was waiting for Last Exile subs (stiiiill waiting...) and I was pleasantry surprised by it. It's cliched like everyone's mentioned, but it didn't hinder my enjoyment of it. A lot of my favorite voices as well, and extremely high production values. Unless it does something horribly wrong, I'm definitely going to be keeping up with it.
Antares

I believe this show has caused a bit of "it's generic" and "so what, all anime is generic!" bickering on the Internets.

Personally, I watched 2 eps and concluded that I am not interested to see more unless I hear/see elsewhere that it really goes in a different direction. I had expected Production I.G. to have a solid hand in this, and maybe they do in mecha design, but the character design and plot-handling is, to put bit bluntly, generic. Pretty visuals alone don't do it for me anymore. It doesn't seem to have anything of its own as such that I would find interesting. It borrows a bit of stuff from here and there, and it does definitely remind me of Code Geass. I won't go into details; you either see the similarities or you don't. And you can either overlook the creative laziness or you don't.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Zeonista

Saw the first episode last night. It was interesting, and set up for some intriguing story development without being as coy about it as Horizon. The image of a future Japan where things have been allowed to become so neglected in places was spooky. (Look at the country's reaction to the tsunami this year, and then think about the implications of the story setting....) IG is strutting their stuff on this one, so it is pleasant to watch. I liked how the young protagonist overcame his herd-animal instinct and decided to play the hero. I approve of "emo" being tossed into the back seat so "hero" can drive. :D Nifty mecha suits, not the usual type, and the mini-bot was cool. Yeah I can watch more of this.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

I certainly think it's nice that the character design is done by an artist that I follow on dA:

http://redjuice999.deviantart.com/art/G ... -264450309

You can click on his profile to see some of his other stuff. The female lead is obviously in redjuice's style, and I thought to myself, "she looks so familiar" before I saw redjuice's name in the credits of the PV I saw. I do admit that the other characters look more generic, but that may be due to project constraints or something.

*scratches head* How are all of you guys watching this, anyway?
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Sume Gai

Seraphic wrote:*scratches head* How are all of you guys watching this, anyway?
Funimation is simulcasting the series, I don't know where you live but it should be viewable at least within North America
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Destiny_Gundam

So the only thing episode 2 left me scratching my head over is how they knew what kind of weapon Shu would pull out of that Daryl guy. If they have some way of knowing that's one thing, but if Gai just hoped that it'd be something useful and it turned out to be true, that would be a major ass pull.
APendragon

I'm guessing Gai has some way of knowing. I was thinking he referred to Daryl as the Kaleidoscope, and then I think Shu said something about a Kaleidoscope after he'd pulled the weapon out of Daryl, but I don't remember exactly.

And the way the shield reflected the beams back down inside the shielded area is sort of like a kaleidoscope in that it...uses mirrors to reflect stuff around, I think? >.>; He definitely seemed to know exactly what it was going to be and do, and nothing about Daryl himself seemed to make me think of a kaleidoscope. How that would translate into a themed mech, flight suit, or style of fighting though, I couldn't even begin to imagine.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I really enjoyed the first episode of Guilty Crown and it made me hopeful that this wasn't going to be a Code Geass copycat (i like giving series the benifit of the doubt). However the second episode (esspecially the ending) only made me think Code Geass the whole time (or Bleach's first arc).

The only difference is that the characters in Code Geass were more interesting then almost every single one of the character's in Guilty Crown. Except for maybe Gai...

Seriously, I found myself just...bored watching the second episode. It was because I have already seen this kind of stuff before and, unlike in Gundam Age, it didn't feel all that exciting or fresh. Yes, Gundam AGE has more or less the same start as most Gundam series...but they have injected the series with new life and energy that is palpable just by watching the first episode. I was hoping the same thing from Guilty Crown and it delevered in the first episode...but the second? Eh...

The only thing I really liked in the whole episode was when that blond pilot guy (forget his name) shoots that civilian mother. It was horrifying just how crazy he was and what a brutal execution scene that was.

I am expecting many things from his character...while the main character really just is kind of whiney and a good for nothing.

Oh and the girl pilot...the one with the red flight suit and gets defeated in like 5 seconds, and basically just blushes the whole time when Gai talks to her...Kallen anyone? I mean seriously? If she ever gets a red mech that will just prove it.

Not only that, but besides her was have almost other anime sterotypical character. The long haired, glasses wearing scientist person who helps the rebels (and may have one episode kind of devoted to him in the future), the quirky bossy girl who is the command and control operator for the mechs...I would almost say that the blond enemy pilot is a cliche too...but his murder of that boy's mother made me hopeful that he will be setting out to "shave" every character.

Sigh...I know I am jumping to conculsions and I should wait for more of the series to come out before making any judgements...but if next episode should start with high-school hijinks, and at the end have a serious problem that actually involves the plot that will be resolved next episode? I may just drop the series and watch the entire thing when it is finished being released. Or never watch it again...who knows?

But the next few episodes will either make or break Guilty Crown for me.

I will keep my fingers crossed becasue i really enjoyed the first episode.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Destiny_Gundam

Well my question was answered in the first few minutes of ep 3
Spoiler
Gai has the ability to see other people's Voids
The people Shu pulls Voids out of loose their memories of the event and he needs to make (percieved) eye contact with them. Chalk up another Geass parallel if you think that matters.

We learn some rules of pulling out Voids and it was funny to see that they range from a simple pair of pliars to a full sized refridgerator.

The mystery
Spoiler
was pretty predictable, with the 'perfect' student with more screen time being the drug addict/witness. It looks like him and Shu were going to start a true friendship as one would expect, but I was surpsied when he sold Shu out to the authorities at the end anyways. Now Shu is under arrest, Inori isn't with him, and he can only pull Voids out of people 17 and under. Will be interesting to see how he gets out of this one.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Anyone kept up with this show?

I finished all 22 episodes and I have to admit...I was shocked by how good it was. I know I was one of the people bashing it, but I will admit I was SO WRONG. This show really became its own and although still did a lot of anime cliches...it did them all so well that I am drooling for more! I am so impressed with Guilty Crown!

Although more of less a Code Geass copy cat at first (it was...c'mon) it really went a different way with lots of the elements it took from that show...and I dare say it did them better. Really this show made me stop comparing it to Code Geass after episode 6...it was the moment where Shu agrees to held Gai after they exchange some punches...one of the many, emotional filled scenes in this series that just has such a high quality.

Guilty Crown really becomes its own after the first half of the series is over...around episode 12. After that it is a little slower...but then a event happens in episode 17 that drives the characters over the edge.

That is what I really enjoyed about this show...all the characters went through such a messed up journey and got so beaten up and ruined that I was disgusted, yet enjoyed it on some sickly level. It was like all the high school characters from Code Geass suddenly got really important and became just as messed up as Lelouch...but with some infection and betrayal. How they took the female student body president was so surprising that I look at Milly from Code Geass as such a missed opportunity now! They could have done so much with her! Huh. There I go making Code Geass references again, but it is the best comparison I can give towards people who haven't seen the show.

Although good, this show became a favorite of mine after episode 19...watch it and you will see what I mean.

The music for Guilty Crown is unbelievable too. It has one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard. The song Bios is great, seriously, if you have the time, youtube search Bios Guilty Crown and listen to that song...I fell in love. Hill of Sorrow is really good as well...and all the openings and endings for the anime are great. Honestly I am surprised not many people have continued talking about this show. I assume some people dropped it before it got really good.

Since this is mechatalk, I sound talk about the Mecha. Realistic...well the last episode has a little more Gundamy stuff...with basically a funnel type weapon... but it was used for literally 10 seconds. And honestly, the mecha aren't fundamentally a big part of the story. However, don't let that turn you off to Guilty Crown, there are some amazing mecha action scenes that shouldn't be missed! Any the mecha look amazing too...so there is that.

This show also is very realistic in terms of combat...well...except for Voids...when Voids are used things get a little more "out there." But what do you expect from a weapon that is basically human hearts turned material.

The battles are all kept to a degree of realism and never really go overboard (unless things are epic...). What I mean for realistic battles is that you can bet that in every firefight someone is going to get hurt. This show kills off a lot of people. So much so that I am shocked by who made it through in the end...plus several characters give you surprises...I am especially shocked by some aid character (don't even know his name) who was in the entire season and did something pretty awesome at the end. It was a shame he was on the wrong side the entire show...considering he was such a nice guy.

On the note of the Kallen copycat Aya...I am a little ashamed to admit that when I first watched the first 2 episodes I had not realized that this pilot girl is in a WHEELCHAIR. Now before we get into some Nunnally references...this girl is far from helpless...and she has an amount of pride that makes her stand out from what people normally compare here too.

I guess the best part of this show is Shu's character arc. It is a little like Simon from Gurran Lagann...a weak, cowardly boy who eventually becomes the man he needs to be. Watching him grow and slowly, taking charge of his group of friends and people around him was great. Plus he really goes some dark places and some seriously messed up things happen to him (I am looking at you episode 17!). Oh and he goes through the Light and Lelouch patented stage of drunk with power...with insane laughter...so that is always a plus!

I guess my point is that I REALLY liked this show...I am excited for season 2 and that if people are hesitant to watch this show because they have heard it is kind of like Code Geass...or started it then stopped...keep watching! It gets SO good. Like how people compare CG to Death Note (although similar) they are very different shows. Same thing with Code Geuss to Guilty Crown! Simliar, but very different.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Destiny_Gundam

I thought it was great start to finish. May have had a few hiccups but all the main [read: important] stuff was addressed and resolved. It is not bad by any definition of the word, despite what a lot of other people might say. Maybe it's medicore or silly, but definitely not bad.