The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk 1

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: The Official Gundam AGE Anime Thread Mk 1

Fairly amusing, but entirely expected, given that they built a full-scale replica of the thing in Tokyo for the 30th anniversary of the franchise. So when they create a story whereby "Gundam" is a part of the universe's history as some kind of legendary saviour, of course they'll use the original.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Arbiter GUNDAM

They're pulling an After War Gundam X. Betcha dollars to Yen.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
kayone73

After watching the first ep and thinking about where this show can go, the multi-generational storyline has a LOT of possibilities and has the potential to be one of the most interesting gundam stories ever in a TV series. Especially if they don't go with Gen 1 start-> end -> Gen 2 start -> end Gen 3 start -> end in some really boring fashion plot wise.

As I suggested earlier, it would take a lot more work to write but if they ran the three generation stories in semi-parallel, where elements from each generations story have an impact on the other generations....and even at the start of Gen 2 or Gen 3...you don't know the conclusion to Gen 1's story because it will give away crucial spoilers to later generation storyline or give away secrets or important plot points. And then the end of the series, basically all generations conclude. This can be done in terms of telling a certain generations story in real time, then telling later parts of it in flashback in a later generation timeline

Gen 1 start ------\----------------> end
.....................\..../
.....Gen 2 start ------/-------\-----> end
...................................\
...........Gen 3 start ------------\---> end

I've illustrated in this flow chart how it could be played out.

Also some horrible tragedy could happen in either generation 1 or generation 2 (let's say either of those heros DONT win and in fact lose badly, or lose something irreplaceable) and have an impact that carries over to Generation 3, who has to bear the burden of said tragedy, which is finally overcome in the final chapter. it's been done before in epic storylines like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, but it doesn't make it any less powerful.
JoeD80

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Wasn't 00 on Saturdays? Is Sunday a good timeslot for Gundam?
00 First Season was on Saturdays but 00 Second Season was on Sundays in the same time-slot as AGE is (5:00 PM Japan time).
ZeonsSilverStar

Well I finally found some time to sit down and watch Gundam AGE so I guess I'll toss in my two cent. It wasn't a bad start in my opinion but I wasn't terribly impressed. The character designs didn't bother me as much as I thought they would but I can't say that I'm a fan. One think I didn't like was the battle, it was far too short for my tastes, but I'm sure they'll improve.
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
Ouroboric

I find the first episodes of Gundam series are very dull half the time even if the series is great, i watched it and i i'm left with a "meh" there is so much to develop, so far the characters really bored me and i did'nt like the animation, and all the talk of Gundam as a savior left me pretty unengaged as well. But hey, i can't even sit through the first episode of Wing and i ended up enjoyed it quite a bit.I'll probably watch AGE all the way through and just hope that i can warm up to it.
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
kayone73

ZeonsSilverStar wrote:Well I finally found some time to sit down and watch Gundam AGE so I guess I'll toss in my two cent. It wasn't a bad start in my opinion but I wasn't terribly impressed. The character designs didn't bother me as much as I thought they would but I can't say that I'm a fan. One think I didn't like was the battle, it was far too short for my tastes, but I'm sure they'll improve.
I hope you're being sarcastic and doing a parody of someone who has never watched a Gundam series before. I'm going to assume you are and not reply seriously.
ZeonsSilverStar

kayone73 wrote:
ZeonsSilverStar wrote:Well I finally found some time to sit down and watch Gundam AGE so I guess I'll toss in my two cent. It wasn't a bad start in my opinion but I wasn't terribly impressed. The character designs didn't bother me as much as I thought they would but I can't say that I'm a fan. One think I didn't like was the battle, it was far too short for my tastes, but I'm sure they'll improve.
I hope you're being sarcastic and doing a parody of someone who has never watched a Gundam series before. I'm going to assume you are and not reply seriously.
And you base this assumption on what exactly?
''Do you always have to stare at me like I just drowned your goldfish?'' Xigbar
kayone73

ZeonsSilverStar wrote:
kayone73 wrote:
And you base this assumption on what exactly?
lol, I'm not getting drawn into taking your post seriously. Sorry, no discussion.
Ouroboric wrote:I find the first episodes of Gundam series are very dull half the time even if the series is great, i watched it and i i'm left with a "meh" there is so much to develop, so far the characters really bored me and i did'nt like the animation, and all the talk of Gundam as a savior left me pretty unengaged as well. But hey, i can't even sit through the first episode of Wing and i ended up enjoyed it quite a bit.I'll probably watch AGE all the way through and just hope that i can warm up to it.
That is pretty much most anime series, that's why it's foolish to give any kinds of impressions about a show based on the first ep. Why do you think the gundamn! crew won't record any of their impressions until at least the first 4 eps are out.
Destiny_Gundam

The topic at hand is giving what we thought of episode one as a stand alone episode. No one is judging the series here.

There was nothing wrong with ZeonsSilverStar's post so please don't react so childishly.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Strike Zero

kayone73 wrote:I hope you're being sarcastic and doing a parody of someone who has never watched a Gundam series before. I'm going to assume you are and not reply seriously.
This post does not make any sense. Why must somebody who found the episode to be unimpressive have never seen a Gundam series before?
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
kayone73

Destiny_Gundam wrote:The topic at hand is giving what we thought of episode one as a stand alone episode. No one is judging the series here.

There was nothing wrong with ZeonsSilverStar's post so please don't react so childishly.
Agreed 100%.

I too thought the animation it started off in the same fashion most of these series have, with a bit more background setup and less emphasis on action. But if this series is indeed 50 eps, then plenty of time for that. I didn't realize the AGE-1 was a brand new MS being developed, for some reason I thought it was already being 'handed down' in the family and was the same MS in the family portrait, but apparently not.

Makes a viewer wonder what was the legendary 'Gundam' in the painting. Some fans are already joking that they're going to pull a Turn A and tie in either the UC RX-78 or some other previous incarnation (Turn A would be hilarious) and that was the 'legendary' white mobile suit making this series take place, again, in the far far future continuity of an existing universe.

I know they're all joke speculations, but if they chose to 'go there again' that would be interesting if handled well, but probably fall flat on its face if not.
Strike Zero wrote: This post does not make any sense. Why must somebody who found the episode to be unimpressive have never seen a Gundam series before?
Nope, they don't have to.
Ceiling_Squid

Perhaps the initial negative reception of AGE has colored my view of the episode, but I found it to be very lackluster. It's not particularly bad, just not particularly good in my book. Then again, this shouldn't be a reflection on the entire show, and I'm going to for sure give it another chance to interest me as more episodes are released.

Everything is very simplistic, from the dialogue to the premise to the first battles to the mecha designs. I think the part that made me groan the worst was how ham-handedly the writers made the teacher dismiss Flit's fears of an attack, which was followed then by the inevitable attack. If it's been 14 years since colonies started getting absolutely wrecked by the UE, you'd think people would actually be a little scared. I'm wondering whether they live in some kind of sealed, ignorant, semi-utopian society, because it sure as heck didn't feel like a war was happening, which doesn't exaclty make it feel anything like a Gundam series.

Maybe they're going for something different, and I'm anxious to see exactly what. I want to know more about the setting, but they're not dishing anything out yet. Nothing about the Federation or the state of the Earth sphere stands out at me. I really hope they establish the setting, because it feels very...vague. It's not grabbing me. There's no politics, no obvious larger conflict, just some generic Federation and a bunch of peaceful colonies. At least 00 started with a "state of the world" sort of overview that immediately grabbed your attention, with the orbital elevators and the three power blocs. The setting had it's own flavor. AGE hasn't really done that yet.

I think its probably just a consequence of it being the first episode. It just doesn't feel like Gundam to me yet because it's not a big conflict laced with politics and massive powers warring with each other. It's just...the UE, attacking the colonies and apparently mopping the floor with them. The Genoaces, which seem very generic GM-clones, literally can't even scratch the UE with their weapons, making for some very lopsided, boring fights, not even any valor or fancy piloting from the mooks thus far, and then the Gundam activates and saves the day. Very superhero.

As it stands right now, beyond what seems to be a painfully simple foreshadowing of the UE probably NOT being aliens, there's absolutely no details on the enemy. They're completely faceless and mostly invincible, and without some humanity or even an identity, the UE are rather boring thus far, much like the vaguely-defined Federation. At least the UE have cool mecha designs. I figure once we know more about them and their motives, the show might get more engaging.

This could be a very good show. It might surprise me, and I'll keep watching because I can usually find something to enjoy in every Gundam series. But this opener from AGE really left me cold.
SonicSP

I too am dissapointed with the lack of a world background so far, but then again we know its a peaceful world prior to the UE attack (essentially similar to Gundam 00 in 2364; peaceful and no mobile suit weapons period) so maybe its something they purposely opted out. But I do wish they elaborated in something though. But I guess it was a decent first episode, not great but not bad either.

Not that I personally mind them keeping all this stuff out from the first episode, even if its a bit weird, just that I do hope they get around to do it eventually like maybe the next episode and such. For the moment, I'm keeping faith that they'll do it soon, even if its basic.
Destiny_Gundam

Ceiling_Squid wrote:I think the part that made me groan the worst was how ham-handedly the writers made the teacher dismiss Flit's fears of an attack, which was followed then by the inevitable attack. If it's been 14 years since colonies started getting absolutely wrecked by the UE, you'd think people would actually be a little scared. I'm wondering whether they live in some kind of sealed, ignorant, semi-utopian society, because it sure as heck didn't feel like a war was happening, which doesn't exaclty make it feel anything like a Gundam series.
I think the idea they were getting across was the blase "the war has nothing to do with us" attitude that was basically Saji and Louise's purpose in season 1 of 00. They think they're safe in their own little bubble and don't have to worry about impending doom. Well, reality certainly came a callin'.
SonicSP

Also, it appears to me that UE seems to act more like terrorists than all out war army. They're attacks are more sporadic rather than an all out war with armies fighting armies and such. The colony have never been attacked before, so why ahold worry? It's more of an apparent disconnect between events that happen "elsewhere" and their home.

I'm pretty sure they're aware and maybe even worried about any attacks but if the UE's attack is few and far between, a mentality of "the chances of it happening to us is slow" mentality might take place. Besides, there's been peace for more than a hundred years prior to this. Some sporadic attacks might make some people worry but I doubt that hold "peace is reality" culture is going to break for people who have not experienced it; even after 14 years after some attacks begun. I reckon this will change soon for Nora though and we'll probably see Flit and co start going into "we are at war" mode now that their colony is under threat.

And I guess Flit's teacher had little reason to believe a 14 year old kid anyways, genius or not. Especially when said teacher got more realistic and urgent matters to handle, which is to get that day's lesson done and over with.
Destiny_Gundam

A legitimate nonsensical moment to point out is why Flit showed his teacher instead of, ya know, the military commander he had run into that morning. He's already letting Flit build the Gundam, I'm sure he'd believe him.
reeoyuy

Destiny_Gundam wrote:A legitimate nonsensical moment to point out is why Flit showed his teacher instead of, ya know, the military commander he had run into that morning. He's already letting Flit build the Gundam, I'm sure he'd believe him.
Ah, I see this brought up in some places. You see, it's not really that illogical. The point is, Flit didn't mean to show the calculation to his teacher. It's because his friend brought up about UE attack, he lost into his thought. Then when the teacher ask him what's wrong, Flit blurted out about Nora will be the next UE target. Of course the teacher and his classmates didn't believe him, so in desperation he show the calculation he made. I don't think Flit ever intended to show his calculation to his teacher or other civilians.

Also remember that when Flit run into that Commander earlier, he and Emily were very, very late. If I were Flit I'd wait until school ends.
Destiny_Gundam

Good point, but I think something as serious as a potential attack should be reported asap above all else. Still, if he wasn't exactly done and wanted to wait for his calculations to be rock solid before he made any claims and showed his teacher in the face of ridicule, then that works.
reeoyuy

I doubt that the calculation can show exact day and time of UE attack. And after being ridiculed by everyone Flit must be doubting himself (he did say "maybe I'm worrying too much"), so after school he chose to spend time with Emily rather than rushing to military base.