It will come: the US trailer to Turn-A Gundam arrives

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Burke Rukes

Re: It will come: the US trailer to Turn-A Gundam arrives

Since renewing my interest in Gundam and reading the news that Turn A is coming to North American DVD this year (though I'm not holding my breath, it's October and still no actual release date), I've been eager for this release. As for sub vs. dub, or sub + dub, it may well be a cost/marketing decision. I'm currently watching the English dub of Zeta, which I've only watched in raw Japanese or with English subs before now, and enjoying it quite a bit. However, Zeta is a sure seller, since it's highly regarded as one of the very best Gundam productions of all time. Bandai was guaranteed to make their money on sales, given the production costs of dubbing, due to the show's popularity alone.

Turn A, on the other hand, has always seemed to me to be a "take it or leave it" series in terms of popularity. Even when it first came out, shortly before I dropped out of Gundam fandom for 10 years (and just now returned), it was controversial then. Some people love it, some people hate it. And in this economy, Bandai may be taking the safe road, sticking to only a subbed version for those who do like the series and plan to buy it (including yours truly), but don't want to spend the extra money for dubbing production, in case it turns out to be a dud in sales. While I would love to see it in a dub for curiosity's sake, I can live without it, and certainly understand Bandai's possible reasons for not dubbing it.
Believe in the sign of Zeta!

- Burke

Top current headline from The Weekly Earth Sphere Post:
COLONIES RISK GRAVITY LOSS DISASTER FROM LABOR STRIKE!
Grav-Making Hamsters Demand Well-Lubricated Wheels, Shorter Hours, Yummier Food
mcred23

Burke Rukes wrote:However, Zeta is a sure seller, since it's highly regarded as one of the very best Gundam productions of all time. Bandai was guaranteed to make their money on sales, given the production costs of dubbing, due to the show's popularity alone.
Sadly, your time away from Gundam is showing here. Zeta sold poorly when it came out over here, particularly the box set IIRC, and its been mentioned a few times that Bandai didn't make much of a profit on it, if any at all. :|
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Deacon Blues

Their initial dubtitle fiasco didn't help their cause either...
Burke Rukes

mcred23 wrote:Sadly, your time away from Gundam is showing here. Zeta sold poorly when it came out over here, particularly the box set IIRC, and its been mentioned a few times that Bandai didn't make much of a profit on it, if any at all. :|
Really? It didn't sell well at all? That's... disappointing. I guess it goes to show that just because something is good, and even popular in some circles, doesn't mean it's going to perform well. :(

I never understood why they released that boxed set to begin with. Not everybody can cough up $200 or whatever the price was at once. Wasn't it a limited production item initially, only available online, or something like that? Well... there goes any hopes of ZZ, V or X ever showing up in North America. Here's hoping Turn A is still coming (and not in a high-priced single boxed set).

- Burke

mcred23

Burke Rukes wrote:I never understood why they released that boxed set to begin with. Not everybody can cough up $200 or whatever the price was at once. Wasn't it a limited production item initially, only available online, or something like that?
I think it was just supposed to be a limited edition, cause I know people ordered it from various places, and even well after the box set came out they still hadn't sold them all (And this was after the release of the box set itself had been delayed close to a year, so who knows how that affected sales). Such is the state of Gundam in America, which is why there was quite a bit of surprise when Turn A was announced last summer...

Arbiter GUNDAM

Burke Rukes wrote:
mcred23 wrote:Sadly, your time away from Gundam is showing here. Zeta sold poorly when it came out over here, particularly the box set IIRC, and its been mentioned a few times that Bandai didn't make much of a profit on it, if any at all. :|
Really? It didn't sell well at all? That's... disappointing. I guess it goes to show that just because something is good, and even popular in some circles, doesn't mean it's going to perform well. :(

I never understood why they released that boxed set to begin with. Not everybody can cough up $200 or whatever the price was at once. Wasn't it a limited production item initially, only available online, or something like that? Well... there goes any hopes of ZZ, V or X ever showing up in North America. Here's hoping Turn A is still coming (and not in a high-priced single boxed set).
Yup, after the initial explosion of popularity with Wing in mid-2000, it's been downhill after a fashion. Have you heard of the Gundam SEED disco guns?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Burke Rukes

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Yup, after the initial explosion of popularity with Wing in mid-2000, it's been downhill after a fashion. Have you heard of the Gundam SEED disco guns?
I just ordered SEED and SEED Destiny from Amazon today, and should start watching them next week. I'm almost afraid to ask what you're talking out...

*Envisions some funky MS weapon that does a weird disco light thing, causing hallucinations of BeeGees music, polyester and mod fashions, cocaine highs and Andy Warhol artwork* :P

Steering this ship back onto topic somewhat, I suppose that might not be too far removed from a series that features Space Hippies, low-tech folks who perform pagan ceremonies to ancient mobile suits, and a MS that sprouts butterfly wings and can cocoon itself.

- Burke

Ouroboric

On episode 44 and this is something i would definitely purchase given the chance(beyond the bootleg i bought 8 or 9 years ago haha), this may turn out to be my favorite Gundam series.
Sacrosanct (man as microcosm)
Four temperaments (fuse) - statuesque entity
The fortitude of a pristine creature
Transcend tyranny- Quintessential Power
Imperial

The "disco guns" are an edit that showed up when Gundam SEED was airing on Cartoon Network. Apparently, there was some rule about not being allowed to show characters pointing actual firearms at people, so the localization team poorly edited on some weird little glowing stripes and dials to make it look like everyone was packing a space age laser gun instead. Unfortunately, it came off less "space age laser gun" and more "funk-blasting disco reject."

They're the kind of thing you might bring to a party as a gag, but they totally killed the mood of otherwise tense scenes.
This space for rent
mcred23

Burke Rukes wrote:I just ordered SEED and SEED Destiny from Amazon today, and should start watching them next week. I'm almost afraid to ask what you're talking out...
Cartoon Network heavily edited SEED when they aired it, making many rather odd changes (Such as changing some gun and battle sound effects, in addition to the usual removal of gore) that was probably part of the general over-reaction to the Janet Jackson nip slip at Super Bowl XXXVIII, since they often edited things that were perfectly fine in the other Gundam shows CN aired. Among the most infamous, and inconsistently applied, were the disco guns, which IIRC would sometimes shift or not even be present between shots. However, these edits shouldn't be on the DVDs (I don't know, since I don't own them), so you won't have to deal with all that. :)

Anyway, for the thread at hand, having seen Turn A myself recently, I'd really like to get it when it comes out, but whether I do so will depend on how many DVD's they spread it across, and of course, the price. :roll:

Dark Duel

I can confirm that they are not, as I do own the entire Gundam SEED series on DVD.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Ouroboric

mcred23 wrote:
Burke Rukes wrote:I just ordered SEED and SEED Destiny from Amazon today, and should start watching them next week. I'm almost afraid to ask what you're talking out...

Anyway, for the thread at hand, having seen Turn A myself recently, I'd really like to get it when it comes out, but whether I do so will depend on how many DVD's they spread it across, and of course, the price. :roll:
10 episodes each in 5 discs would be perfect,maybe I'm just cheap though haha. Will the movies be released in NA as well?
Zeonista

I can't say as I'm in great hurry to get the pro-job of Turn-A, due to limited funds at the present and some current priorities. Still, after watching Xabungle and L-Gaim, which had a similar vibe at times, I am OK with it as a show in its own right. The sub-only release aims it at the long-term fans who like their subs, which would be aimed at...me, I guess. So if I had the $$ and it was reasonably priced, I'd buy it.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Ouroboric

I personally find all the Gundam Dubs, and most dubbing in general to be intolerable. So if this was made cheaper due to the fact that it had none i would be even more satisfied.
Darkerangel

mcred23 wrote:
Burke Rukes wrote:However, Zeta is a sure seller, since it's highly regarded as one of the very best Gundam productions of all time. Bandai was guaranteed to make their money on sales, given the production costs of dubbing, due to the show's popularity alone.
Sadly, your time away from Gundam is showing here. Zeta sold poorly when it came out over here, particularly the box set IIRC, and its been mentioned a few times that Bandai didn't make much of a profit on it, if any at all. :|
Not to make this a Zeta thread, but at the time, I didn't even know Zeta was in the U.S. yet alone dubbed. When doing my gundam dvd collection, I found it on ebay, only months letter saw Zeta being sold in volumes at Best Buy.
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
mcred23

Darkerangel wrote:Not to make this a Zeta thread, but at the time, I didn't even know Zeta was in the U.S. yet alone dubbed. When doing my gundam dvd collection, I found it on ebay, only months letter saw Zeta being sold in volumes at Best Buy.
It's not like it was promoted on TV or anything (Everything post-Wing has been poorly promoted, but that's a subject for another thread). Unless you were someone who followed Gundam very closely, or were in the fan community, it was easy to miss. To tie it into this thread, it probably got as much coverage as this upcoming Turn A release, meaning basically nothing. I don't even remember a trailer being put out for Zeta, so I guess the fact they made one for Turn A is a bit more positive...

Ceiling_Squid

mcred23 wrote:
Darkerangel wrote:Not to make this a Zeta thread, but at the time, I didn't even know Zeta was in the U.S. yet alone dubbed. When doing my gundam dvd collection, I found it on ebay, only months letter saw Zeta being sold in volumes at Best Buy.
It's not like it was promoted on TV or anything (Everything post-Wing has been poorly promoted, but that's a subject for another thread). Unless you were someone who followed Gundam very closely, or were in the fan community, it was easy to miss. To tie it into this thread, it probably got as much coverage as this upcoming Turn A release, meaning basically nothing. I don't even remember a trailer being put out for Zeta, so I guess the fact they made one for Turn A is a bit more positive...
Yeah...again, not the subject of the thread, but it's a shame about the publicity. It's like Bandai expects to put material out and then skate by on the fanbase just knowing something is being released. Gundam doesn't have as ingrained a fanbase overseas, so what do they expect when it sells poorly here? If they want to make more money, they really ought to sink a little bit of investment into actually advertising their releases. Surprised to see Turn A, and I hope this bodes well for the future of Gundam localization.
DuelGundam2099

The least they could do is actually set a release date instead of just "this year".
Deacon Blues

I doubt it'll be released this year... they skipped it over at NYCC which was quite odd. If anything it'll probably be a last minute Christmas addition or something.
Jaynz

I've seen more than once place state that Turn A is coming to Cartoon Network, which would imply a dub. These were just comments on various boards and on the trailer itself.. but nothing official. Has anyone heard anything about this?