Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
J-Lead

Re: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

Amadi Akintunde wrote:CHOPPER ACTION
For a brief second there, I thought you meant chopper was in the game. Then reality hit me, and my heart broke forever... :(
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
raijinz

Amadi Akintunde wrote:108th Task Force Trailer

I Ace-gasmed
Dammit! That vid got me excited, but you must always remember to judge a game by IN-GAME FOOTAGE! I'll remain on the fence for now (Piloting an apache would be cool though...).
////////////////
A Bright-slap is too good for you!!
PSN: roytecx
Amadi Akintunde

raijinz wrote:
Amadi Akintunde wrote:108th Task Force Trailer

I Ace-gasmed
Dammit! That vid got me excited, but you must always remember to judge a game by IN-GAME FOOTAGE! I'll remain on the fence for now (Piloting an apache would be cool though...).
All of that was in-game footage. ;p

All they need to work on refining at the moment are the seemingly low-poly fighters. But from what I've seen in screen shots, they're not having any problem doing that.
raijinz

Amadi Akintunde wrote: All of that was in-game footage. ;p

All they need to work on refining at the moment are the seemingly low-poly fighters. But from what I've seen in screen shots, they're not having any problem doing that.
It wasn't, was it? How is anyone supposed to play the game with all that shaky-cam nonsense?
////////////////
Amadi Akintunde

raijinz wrote:
Amadi Akintunde wrote: All of that was in-game footage. ;p

It wasn't, was it? How is anyone supposed to play the game with all that shaky-cam nonsense?
It's the new optional game mode called Close Range Assault. Addresses the concerns of potential new Ace Combat fans regarding the "low-intensity" of dogfighting in past games.

You'll still be able to play the way Ace Combat has done it for the past few generations. They've just added something more to it. Thrill factor.

And yes, it was all in-game footage. Note some of the instances where HUD visuals appeared onscreen.
raijinz

Amadi Akintunde wrote: It's the new optional game mode called Close Range Assault. Addresses the concerns of potential new Ace Combat fans regarding the "low-intensity" of dogfighting in past games.

You'll still be able to play the way Ace Combat has done it for the past few generations. They've just added something more to it. Thrill factor.

And yes, it was all in-game footage. Note some of the instances where HUD visuals appeared onscreen.
The mode is optional? So If I try it and find I don't like it, I can turn it off? *Slowly climbing off the fence*
////////////////
Amadi Akintunde

That's what Kono said in a magazine interview. The traditional Ace Combat playstyle is still there, with an added (but optional) bonus.

In short, yes, you can turn it off.
raijinz

New gameplay footage

I'm still on the fence, I'm worried they've sold out and shallowed the game just to appeal to the CoD and HAWX fans. Gotta play it before I can decide...
////////////////
Amadi Akintunde

raijinz wrote:New gameplay footage

I'm still on the fence, I'm worried they've sold out and shallowed the game just to appeal to the CoD and HAWX fans. Gotta play it before I can decide...
You've only seen the first mission demonstrating CRA. You've literally seen nothing yet.

Speaking of which, if this game fails, Namdai's canceling the Ace combat series.
raijinz

Amadi Akintunde wrote: You've only seen the first mission demonstrating CRA. You've literally seen nothing yet.

Speaking of which, if this game fails, Namdai's canceling the Ace combat series.
I hope that's not the case. Despite all the gripes I've had with Ace Combat games in the past, I would rather play them than any other type of aerial combat game out there. In my eyes, nothing else comes close.
////////////////
Amadi Akintunde

raijinz wrote:
Amadi Akintunde wrote: You've only seen the first mission demonstrating CRA. You've literally seen nothing yet.

I hope that's not the case. Despite all the gripes I've had with Ace Combat games in the past, I would rather play them than any other type of aerial combat game out there. In my eyes, nothing else comes close.
Ace Combat has been one of Namco's worst selling series for quite some time compared to their more mainstream titles like Soul Calibur and Tekken. It hasn't been doing well in recent years.
VR7

beep boop

Did anyone miss me?

Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Full-Blown Trailer
Helicopter Assault Gameplay Trailer

Also, I just want you guys to know that expert controls will still be in the game.
-noel
Amadi Akintunde

I forgot that this topic existed here as no one else was posting in it.

I've been keeping in contact with the game's writer, Jim DeFelice. He's apparently a huge fan of Ace Combat, and that fact alone makes me pumped for this game that much more. It's looking to be great so far.

It's a shame that North America won't be getting the whole Limited Edition package that Europe will be, though. I don't see how the F-4E Phantom II is so special.
VR7

The Limited Edition will come with the game's soundtrack, a notebook signed by the Project Aces team and the F-4E DLC code. I guess Namco Bandai doesn't really see much profit in offering these to North Americans. The GameStop preorder of Assault Horizon will come with the F-4E DLC code though.

Traditionally the F-4E Phantom II is the worst performing plane in all Ace Combat games, but it is usually one of the cheaper/starting planes, which meant that everyone would have to grow accustomed to using it before they can afford a better plane. Also with the exception of Ace Combat: Joint Assault, the difference in plane performance is generally very subtle; so worst performing is an overstatement.

There will be people that fanboy over the F-4, especially since it wasn't flyable in Ace Combat 6. It's something that grows on people.
-noel
raijinz

The Eurogamer Expo is coming up next month in London, so I should finally get a chance to play this and see for myself!
////////////////
Red Zeta

Love the new focus on close combat. Dogfighters rejoice!
This signature is three times wittier than the average signature.
Amadi Akintunde

Game is out as of today. Reviews are pouring in, some good, some bad. So far, the good is outweighing the bad, with Gamespot seemingly turning 180 degrees from their "Call of Duty in the air is underselling it" claim and gave it a less than nice review. Which is pretty silly because they've got a sticker with that same exact quote plastered right onto the retail game case.
Spoiler
I don't have the game yet myself, but what I can tell you is that you'd be better to prepare for a helluva lot of dogfighting in the campaign.

It's also increasingly difficult, from what I've heard and seen - even on Easy/Pilot difficulty. CRA/DFM isn't as "hand-holdy" as the masses initially assumed, and if anything, mounts upon the already frustrating difficulty of air-to-air engagements. Still, that only makes it twice as fun. And multiplayer seems to be even more of a blast.