Ep. 014: Fairy Tail

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 014: Fairy Tail

Chaos Theater Ep. 014 - "Fairy Tail"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 117 mins, 51 sec. (1:57:51) 54.0 MB

Special Guest Host: Kristina Pino (opening and Fairy Tail)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:31:54

02. Discussion: "Fairy Tail"
Runtime: 0:32:28 - 1:27:51

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:28:22 - 1:57:27

It's been a long delay, but Fairy Tail is finally here! We're joined by Tomopop and Japanator's Kristina Pino to discuss Hiro Mashima's shonen manga and the anime based on it. Before that, we catch up on things and fry up the cow that animation is only for children. As a note, when we recorded this episode, the most recent manga chapter was 251, so the things that happen since then don't factor in. We wrap up as always with your questions in the Mailbag. Next time, we strap in for the pulse pounding anime movie Redline.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Fairy Tail Main Theme" from Fairy Tail OST 1 by Takanashi Yasuharu
"Happy's Theme" from Fairy Tail OST 2 by Takanashi Yasuharu
"Dragonforce" from Fairy Tail OST 3 by Takanashi Yasuharu

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Arbiter GUNDAM

Re: Episode 014: Fairy Tail

Sorry Chris, I can't top your story. Closest I got is when my dad point blank refused to send the rest of my Gundam DVDs to my new apartment. But that's parents eh? They're supposed to be like that. Personally I blame it on the 70s. And some of the 80s too.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

Ok, so Fairy Tail sounds like an interesting series.
Madman did accquire it so I might look in to it when they release the series.

As for the Sacred Cow.
I agree, it really is immature when some people put down others over their likes and all that.
But in relation to animation or animated stuff, I'm a guy who enjoys old and new stuff for western animation or anime.

So I've never had any really bad nagging about what I'm in to and all that.
I only had 1 friend who never understood how I was in to Beast Wars Transformers, where as on the other his brother who I also knew got interested in the series after seeing 1-2 episodes of the series.

On the other hand I'm not going to try and apply nostalgia goggles to this, since sometimes some shows didn't have the best animation there was also other aspects to the.
Such as the concept or the story behind the shows itself.

Such as most of my western animation entries I named off in a mailbag entry once.

So that is all I can really say on this.
And I don't have a story to top your one Chris.
Vent Noir

I've been following the manga of Fairy Tail, and enjoying it - it's the only shonen fighting manga I actually enjoy, unless you count Claymore as shonen. As anyone who knows me might guess, I got into it because of Erza.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
hotlimit

Anyone that acts ignorant about shonen manga/anime absolutely needs to read the comic Bakuman (read it! I can't vouch for the anime, which probably falls short and misses the point). It's basically Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle", but for shonen manga instead of the meat packing industry. Like seriously, if everyone would just read that, I'd never have to hear another dumb argument or complaint about a shonen comic ever again.
Vent Noir wrote:I've been following the manga of Fairy Tail, and enjoying it - it's the only shonen fighting manga I actually enjoy, unless you count Claymore as shonen. As anyone who knows me might guess, I got into it because of Erza.
Yes, Claymore is considered shonen (it first ran in Shonen Jump, then tossed around to other magazines with longer release schedules).
Saber

I was actually hesitant to listen to this episode because Fairy Tail was already on my plan-to-watch list and hadn't come around to it, but I did it anyway and I enjoyed it very much. Chances are good that I'll import that first DVD / Blu-ray combo pack when it comes out next month.

There was one thing however that annoyed me a lot for this episode. I'm not sure if it was because you had a guest on the show and Skype wasn't all that obliging or because of the editing, but the volume of the audio on this episode was terribly quiet. I had my iPod turned up to the maximum and I could barely understand something. I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with my headphones, but listening to other music tracks and podcasts were totally fine in terms of volume, same results with a different pair of headphones. I usually listen to podcasts on the way to work, and it just wasn't possible. Even the slightest of background noises were enough to overpower the audio from this episode while getting to work.

Oh, and this is just a minor gripe but in all honesty Chris, I would prefer it if you weren't eating something in the background while other people are talking as well as talking while still chewing.
Vent Noir wrote:As anyone who knows me might guess, I got into it because of Erza.
Funny. Given my "fetish" for women wearing armor and wielding melee weapons, my original reason for considering to watch Fairy Tail was also because of Erza (who wasn't really mentioned a lot in this episode).
sakurangel

hotlimit wrote:Anyone that acts ignorant about shonen manga/anime absolutely needs to read the comic Bakuman (read it! I can't vouch for the anime, which probably falls short and misses the point). It's basically Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle", but for shonen manga instead of the meat packing industry. Like seriously, if everyone would just read that, I'd never have to hear another dumb argument or complaint about a shonen comic ever again.
Vent Noir wrote:I've been following the manga of Fairy Tail, and enjoying it - it's the only shonen fighting manga I actually enjoy, unless you count Claymore as shonen. As anyone who knows me might guess, I got into it because of Erza.
Yes, Claymore is considered shonen (it first ran in Shonen Jump, then tossed around to other magazines with longer release schedules).
well to be real claymore is a seinen wven if the manga came feom thd publication in shonen jump, just look at the classification ... 18 up.

hey chris im sure feary tail is a taboo to be mention in chaos theatres because look like making a epiaode about it is hell like those firat episodes of gundamn!
Yuri lowenthal- "Angel Lopez(sakurangel) you are the manliest man I ever meet"
Alexis Tipton- "angel is was nice meet you"
sakurangel

hotlimit wrote:Anyone that acts ignorant about shonen manga/anime absolutely needs to read the comic Bakuman (read it! I can't vouch for the anime, which probably falls short and misses the point). It's basically Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle", but for shonen manga instead of the meat packing industry. Like seriously, if everyone would just read that, I'd never have to hear another dumb argument or complaint about a shonen comic ever again.
well to be real claymore is a seinen wven if the manga came feom thd publication in shonen jump, just look at the classification ... 18 up.

hey chris im sure feary tail is a taboo to be mention in chaos theatres because look like making a epiaode about it is hell like those firat episodes of gundamn!
hotlimit

Saber wrote:but the volume of the audio on this episode was terribly quiet.
Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything, but I always listen to these podcasts with an ipod shuffle while exercising. Sadly, this week I could only hear Pedro's voice. I don't really have a problem with the munching, but it was bad this week because that was the only sound the mic was picking up a few times when Kristina was speaking.

Of course, it could just be that our iProducts are having a moment of silence...
sakurangel wrote: well to be real claymore is a seinen wven if the manga came feom thd publication in shonen jump, just look at the classification ... 18 up.
It's not classified as 18 or up in Japan (even in America it's just 'teen'). But yeah, read Bakuman and you'll understand why it's shonen.
Mu La Flaga

@Saber and hotlimit: Hey guys, I was saying something about the volume in the feedback section to Chris.
So your not alone, apparently they recorded in one place and they had 1-2 audio issues, but it seems they persisted.

The odd thing is episode 10 the last one they did in the same place was fine for the volume.
sakurangel

hotlimit wrote:
Saber wrote:but the volume of the audio on this episode was terribly quiet.
Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything, but I always listen to these podcasts with an ipod shuffle while exercising. Sadly, this week I could only hear Pedro's voice. I don't really have a problem with the munching, but it was bad this week because that was the only sound the mic was picking up a few times when Kristina was speaking.

Of course, it could just be that our iProducts are having a moment of silence...
sakurangel wrote: well to be real claymore is a seinen wven if the manga came feom thd publication in shonen jump, just look at the classification ... 18 up.
It's not classified as 18 or up in Japan (even in America it's just 'teen'). But yeah, read Bakuman and you'll understand why it's shonen.[/quote

i think w a ready gt out of the topic, but i don't need to read bakunan to understand what a shonen is because is not nessesary, and wby i have to read a manga base on somebody making a manga... watch comix party is better in details for thinks like shonen, otaku obsesipn and wht MOE mean, so go and checked
Mekton GM

Well I cant beat Chris' story but here's mine anyway.

It was a few years ago at Borders Books in the Manga section I was looking for the new volume of Gundam École du Ciel and while I was there I kept hearing these two otaku girls giggleing and everytime I looked the stopped and tried to hide the Yaoi they were reading. Finaly after looking over three times I finally said that I didn't care that they were reading and the next thing I know they GLOMP tackle me into the main aisle and fell to the floor infront of this cute girl from school I had asked out to prom earlier that day and she said she'd think about it. Needless to say I got a "NO" due to the whole incedent.
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
Wingnut

Mekton GM wrote:Well I cant beat Chris' story but here's mine anyway.

It was a few years ago at Borders Books in the Manga section I was looking for the new volume of Gundam École du Ciel and while I was there I kept hearing these two otaku girls giggleing and everytime I looked the stopped and tried to hide the Yaoi they were reading. Finaly after looking over three times I finally said that I didn't care that they were reading and the next thing I know they GLOMP tackle me into the main aisle and fell to the floor infront of this cute girl from school I had asked out to prom earlier that day and she said she'd think about it. Needless to say I got a "NO" due to the whole incedent.
I must record this as another reason to lothe the yaoi fangirl.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
prince_of_zeon

Okay kids, this story is long and rather complicated, so just stick with me.

My freshman year of high school, I became friends with a bunch of new people, including two girls. Now, these two were completely different yet each were appealing in their own way...to cut to the chase, one had a Ranka Lee personality was short and annoying (in retrospect) and the other was a tad more reserved and taller and older-the Sheryl Nome (this was around when Macross F started, and "Sheryl" and I were both watching the show)

So, sophomore year rolls around, and I get asked out by "Ranka." We start dating, but I remain friends with "Sheryl." Two and a half years pass.

So, second semester senior year, "Ranka" dumps me and starts dating my best friend right about before prom. Total bummer, right? Well, "Sheryl," who at this point is one of my closest friends, comes over the next week with some other people and we watch the first Frontier movie, which one of us just got on Blu-Ray.

After the movie, I drive people home, dropping her off last. As she gets out of the car, she leaves something behind in the seat.

It is a replica (that she said she made in jewerlymaking class?) of Sheryl's fold quartz earring with a note attached to it that says "Prom?"

Long story short, don't be blinded by the Rankas of life when the Sheryls are staring you right in the face. :)
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
Wingnut

prince_of_zeon wrote:Okay kids, this story is long and rather complicated, so just stick with me.

My freshman year of high school, I became friends with a bunch of new people, including two girls. Now, these two were completely different yet each were appealing in their own way...to cut to the chase, one had a Ranka Lee personality was short and annoying (in retrospect) and the other was a tad more reserved and taller and older-the Sheryl Nome (this was around when Macross F started, and "Sheryl" and I were both watching the show)

So, sophomore year rolls around, and I get asked out by "Ranka." We start dating, but I remain friends with "Sheryl." Two and a half years pass.

So, second semester senior year, "Ranka" dumps me and starts dating my best friend right about before prom. Total bummer, right? Well, "Sheryl," who at this point is one of my closest friends, comes over the next week with some other people and we watch the first Frontier movie, which one of us just got on Blu-Ray.

After the movie, I drive people home, dropping her off last. As she gets out of the car, she leaves something behind in the seat.

It is a replica (that she said she made in jewerlymaking class?) of Sheryl's fold quartz earring with a note attached to it that says "Prom?"

Long story short, don't be blinded by the Rankas of life when the Sheryls are staring you right in the face. :)
You've won this with that story even if it doesn't win.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
animalia

I admit I have only read up to volume 5 of Fairy Tail but I always find it funny how Ezra tries to hug people into her boobs but it hurts them because she is wearing armor.
Chavelo

I skipped this one because I just didn't really get into Fairy Tail. Just not my thing. But I figured I'd give it a shot.

However I find it amusing that Chris is munching on chips as everyone else is talking xD
Wingnut

Re: Ep. 014: Fairy Tail

The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Chris
Administrator

Hah... even I hadn't seen that.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Arbiter GUNDAM

Alright, ya got me. I'm into Fairy Tail now and it's all your fault. :) And you know what, I think I like it better than Bleach. Although I can't decide whose hotter, Lucy, Erza, Mirajane or Juvia...

And yeah, I can kind of see what Christina was talking about because I'm in the Oracion Seis arc and I'm scratching my head because Lucy has gone all reluctant and nervous and I think, "What happened to Adventurous Lucy?"
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion