Ep. 086 - Gundamn! @ The Movies!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 086 - Gundamn! @ The Movies!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 086 - "Gundamn! @ The Movies!"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 131 min., 25 sec. (2:11:25) - 60.2 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:17:56 (Duration: 0:17:13)

03. Judau & the Junkyard Kids! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 0:17:56 - 0:18:45 (Duration: 0:00:49)

04. Method to Madness (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:18:45 - 0:19:29 (Duration: 0:00:44)

05. 1st Segment: "Patlabor Round-Up! - 'Mobile Police Patlabor: The Movie'" (1989)
Runtime: 0:19:29 - 0:52:36 (Duration: 0:33:07)

06. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:52:36 - 0:53:49 (Duration: 0:01:13)

07. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:53:49 - 0:54:17 (Duration: 0:00:28)

08. 2nd Segment: "Anime Spotlight - 'Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise'" (Movie, 1987)
Runtime: 0:54:17 - 1:25:25 (Duration: 0:31:08)

09. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:25:25 - 1:26:03 (Duration: 0:00:38)

10. Next Time on "Shinjuku Fight Club: Ep. 002 - Fighting Freaks!" (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:26:03 - 1:27:02 (Duration: 0:00:59)

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 1:27:02 - 2:11:25 (Duration: 0:44:23)

Join us for movie night on Gundamn! as we tackle reviews for "Patlabor: The Movie" & "The Wings of Honnêamise"!

Peep these Links also!:
- Chaos Theater: Episode 013 - Back to the Future (Mechatalk Thread)
- Laplace's Box: Episode 002 - Comic Con & Wonder Festival
- Shinjuku Station at the Movies: Review 003 - Summer Comic Book Movie Round-up!
- Shinjuku Fight Club: "Ep. 001 - 3rd Strike Strikes Again!" (Podcast)

Hungry for more Gundamn! Check out Dollow Rlance's coverage of "Anime Expo" in Special 014! Mad props to him for putting that together and attending the convention!

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode
- Coming soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Previous Episodes - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios

Sponsors & Special Offers:
PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 086 - Gundamn! @ The Movies!

Patlabor movie 1 sounds interesting, appreciate the review, but wow messed up lots of dubs all over the place, that just seems rather badly organized.

Also thanks for the mailbag answers.
As for how I get previews or looks at series are these ways.
1.Super Robot Wars games, if a series catches my interest, which I have done a few times.
2.Browsing Madman's catalogue and asking about titles they haven't accquired sometimes, such as Patlabor being a recent example, they only had the movies up until recently.
I anticipate more Patalbaor coming out and no I haven't seen Panzer World Galliant or however it's spelt.
3.The other way is usually podcasts, like Gundam@MAHQ or FTS in one small instance.
4.MAHQ.net sometimes has helped inform me more about series and stuff, so it's one thing related for helping me make informed purchases a little at times.

That is all I've got.
And I'll see what else I can submit for the mailbag in future.

PS: Neo I thought you hated Witch Hunter more then your fav Eva clone, ah well.
And also I have a 3DS better take that number up to 50 :P
TimberNewtype

Is Short Circuit real robot?
Newtype Dad

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life
Follow me on twitter @TimberNewtype
Soul Bro Ryu

TimberNewtype wrote:Is Short Circuit real robot?
The realest! ^_^
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Vent Noir

Good episode as usual, guys. Been a long time since I watched the first move, but I remember liking it. I'll have to watch it again once Madman brings it out on DVD here.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
jabman025

whatever makes you feel better Neo ;)
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Mr Bushido

Now why would Neo feel sorry for me? Pretty much the only thing I'm interested in Star Wars are the Clone/Stormtroopers, and them Star Destroyers. Oh and I did not buy those Blu-rays. In fact I told some of my friends who were thinking of buying it to stay away... dunno if they still bought it or not.
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
Mu La Flaga

Vent Noir wrote:Good episode as usual, guys. Been a long time since I watched the first move, but I remember liking it. I'll have to watch it again once Madman brings it out on DVD here.
Vent, dude the movie is already in the catalogue.

http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view ... hannelId=1
kayone73

Great episode, I like you covered two major high budget films from the 80s. Even tho Wing's isn't strictly mecha related I'm glad you covered this fantastic but oft overlooked triumph from Gainax. I'll have to admit when I watched it back in college in the early 90s, even I found it really boring and hard to watch for the first half and none of the promo artwork really interested me. The visual style looked too weird and characters were so....unattractive. And I thought it was based on a story of the space program in OUR reality so all the images didn't really fit with any historical space race images I knew so it turned me off. When I finally watched the film and let myself get lost in the drama. The animation is absolutely stunning and it boggles the mind that this was Gainax's first feature film release. Compared to the Gainax of today, they were so incredibly forward thinking back then.

Between these two films and DYRL, I really miss the lavishly animated 'economic boom japan' anime films of the 80s :(
hotlimit

I watched the Patlabor movie- pretty good stuff. My favorite part had to have been the fish-lens effects when Asuma was being suspended!

On those mecha designs, I'm glad everyone realizes the Palace Athene is 100x better than the Bolinoak Saman, I love the Palace Athene! And to Soul Bro - you'd appreciate the Destiny a lot more if you built the kit, whatever they showed in the cartoon was a terrible representation. I was lucky enough to have a really lazy friend who didn't want to build his Destiny 1/144 kit, so he let me do it, and now I feel like the suit gets a lot of undeserved hate. Then again, you can pose it in super-effeminate positions because of the goofy hand-parts it comes with....

Also props to Soul Bro for the new censorship sound effects, those Street Fighter noises were super annoying, hahah!
Vent Noir

Mu La Flaga wrote:
Vent Noir wrote:Good episode as usual, guys. Been a long time since I watched the first move, but I remember liking it. I'll have to watch it again once Madman brings it out on DVD here.

I'm waiting for the boxset, as it will apparently contain the TV series, OVAs and movies.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
kayone73

Pallas Athene is a great design, I picked up the HGUC kit that I have yet to assemble. Nowadays it is really hard to find.
hotlimit

kayone73 wrote:Pallas Athene is a great design, I picked up the HGUC kit that I have yet to assemble. Nowadays it is really hard to find.
Online or where? Hong Kong stores restock UC stuff pretty regularly, though there's less and less of the less popular Destiny stuff (I could not find a Windam or Ginn High Maneuver II to save me!). Palace Athene on the other hand, muahahahaa: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eRdz ... vLacas.JPG
TimberNewtype

hotlimit wrote:
kayone73 wrote:Pallas Athene is a great design, I picked up the HGUC kit that I have yet to assemble. Nowadays it is really hard to find.
Online or where? Hong Kong stores restock UC stuff pretty regularly, though there's less and less of the less popular Destiny stuff (I could not find a Windam or Ginn High Maneuver II to save me!). Palace Athene on the other hand, muahahahaa: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-eRdz ... vLacas.JPG
Palace Athene and GINN High Maneuver II both in stock at gundamstoreandmore.com. Love my Palace Athene, it's a fun build!
Newtype Dad

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life
Follow me on twitter @TimberNewtype
Mu La Flaga

Vent Noir wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:

I'm waiting for the boxset, as it will apparently contain the TV series, OVAs and movies.
Wow the boxset will contain all 3 things?
Wow that would be a big thing if that is what they are planing to do.
Vent Noir

Mu La Flaga wrote:
Vent Noir wrote: I'm waiting for the boxset, as it will apparently contain the TV series, OVAs and movies.
If I'm remembering correctly from what they said at Manifest, yeah, it will.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Mu La Flaga

Vent Noir wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:
Vent Noir wrote: I'm waiting for the boxset, as it will apparently contain the TV series, OVAs and movies.
If I'm remembering correctly from what they said at Manifest, yeah, it will.
Awesome, I will hold out for that, if that is the case.
hotlimit

TimberNewtype wrote: Palace Athene and GINN High Maneuver II both in stock at gundamstoreandmore.com. Love my Palace Athene, it's a fun build!
Everything but those giant missiles :O
If I ever build it again, I'm going to have to use some skill to make the armaments less dumb-looking. There's only so much grey plastic I can handle!
thehod

Katajena deserves the Hallelujah special. I agree with your sentiments.

Btw the Exia got pretty trashed quite a few times.

End of season 1, first episode of season 2, last episode of season 2 (even though it was called the R2, it still was the same suit)
kayone73

thehod wrote:Katajena deserves the Hallelujah special. I agree with your sentiments.

Btw the Exia got pretty trashed quite a few times.

End of season 1, first episode of season 2, last episode of season 2 (even though it was called the R2, it still was the same suit)
But it seems less mistreatment by the pilot and more it took a realistic beating and lacked plot-driven invincibility armor that the previous MS had (I felt phase shift armor was such a lazy cop out device to give the Gundams in Seed such toughness.