Gundam 0079 - difference between TV series and movie trilogy

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
lobster

Gundam 0079 - difference between TV series and movie trilogy

Hi guys, I was about to introduce the oldest Gundam show to a new convert to the religion of Gundamism. :) I was wondering should I show him the 0079 TV or Movie? I watched both but it's been a while and there are too many details to remember. Are there any major plot difference or missing plots between the TV and the Movie?
Bandai = most environmentally friendly toy maker???

"Reuse that runner 100 times!"
Spiegel

Re: Gundam 0079 - difference between TV series and movie tri

I would go with the movies first. The movies, I think, really iron out the story well. Sure, you miss out on a few of the details that the TV series gives you, but I think it's for the best.

Plus, the movies are usually considered the canon version of the two. I try to show Encounters in Space to non-Gundam people all the time. I just fill in a few of the details as they arise and we're good to go. People tend to enjoy it.
mcred23

There are a number of little differences between the two, such as changing when White Base goes to Texas colony and some similar timing changes elsehwere, but there aren't any major plot differences that I can think of that would radically alter ones view of the story. As for which version to show, it depends on your friend. If he has the time and is willing to sit through the 42 episodes of the original series, then go with that. If he doesn't, or simply wants to get through it faster, and is still pretty new to Gundam, the movies are probably the best option. You really can't go wrong with either version, and it comes down to what your friend is up for.
Spiegel wrote:Plus, the movies are usually considered the canon version of the two.
As we just said last week, the movies and TV series have exactly the same standing and one isn't any more canon or official or whatever than the other. :|
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Spiegel

mcred23 wrote:
Spiegel wrote:Plus, the movies are usually considered the canon version of the two.
As we just said last week, the movies and TV series have exactly the same standing and one isn't any more canon or official or whatever than the other. :|
Well, I must've missed that thread. I'm surprised to hear this, to be honest. One of the major differences in the movies and TV is the Gundam's portrayal as a singular unit as opposed to three combining sections. I know at the end of Encounters, he ejects the core fighter, but it comes across more along the lines as an escape pod.

Oh well, I suppose in my mind, I'll always give priority to the movies, even if the fandom as a whole doesn't perceive it that way. Thank you for letting me know, though.
Black Knight

It's not the fandom's call; Sunrise says that both are in the same level, and that all animated works are what to believe, even when they seem contradictory.

The major difference between the TV series and the movies really revolves around the issue of Newtypes. The movies introduce the concept in the middle of Movie II, while the TV series puts it off much, much later (after White Base returns to space, if memory serves).
lobster

thank you all :D
Bandai = most environmentally friendly toy maker???

"Reuse that runner 100 times!"