Ep. 085 - Sempai Shodown!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.

Who won the Debate?!

Neo
67%
Jabman025
33%

Total votes: 21
Soul Bro Ryu

Re: Ep. 085 - Sempai Shodown!

hotlimit wrote:@SoulBro: No chitlins?! You might have to change your name to just "Bro Ryu" if you keep that up!

By the way, who is going to be co-hosting Shinjuku Fight Club? Is it going to be a Capcom/ArcSys-only show, or are you gonna have some Namco/Tecmo action on as well?
Thank you for asking! I just posted the premiere ep of SFC @ http://ShinStation.BlogSpot.com -
Shinjuku Fight Club Ep. 001 - "Third Strike Strikes Again!" - FightersReady.net Forum Post

Just like in the Evo 2010 Special (Gundamn Special #010), it's Nick the Stampede & myself rapping about fighters. I'd like the focus to be on all fighting games, and when it comes to the 3D ones, we're going to wrangle up folks to join us that know those games well.

Guess I'll have to turn in my "Soul" title. Chitlins and I just don't get along. I love 'Greens though ^_^

Also, I just added a poll to this thread about the Debate between Jabman025 & Neo! Have at it everyone!
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Arbiter GUNDAM

Another extremely interesting episode in the bag!

In regards to the Neo/Jabman debate: After listening to that episode again and giving it due thought and consideration............
Neo won.

In regards to Patlabor, I only watched a couple of episodes on Cartoon Network I think but I thought it was pretty cool. I actually went back and watched the OVA just now and it's pretty good. Definitely on a MUCH different level than Macross, Gundam or Transformers, so it takes a bit of getting used to.

I also enjoyed the discussion on Sempais. I wish to submit Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi (meaning Alec Guinness) as a Sempai. I definitely think he counts! Also, do you think that Ray Lovelock from Macross 7 would count?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mu La Flaga

To put my thoughts out a little more.
I disagree with Neo's hate and Jab's assesment of Destiny as Athrun being the central character, that was supposed to happen more in those compilation movies.

And I don't agree with Neo's hate for Destiny totally.
I would be inclined to put it in to the lower barrel of Gundam series or entries with ZZ and obviously G-Saviour.
hotlimit

G-Saviour isn't even in the barrel, and never will be, unless some day I see it in an SD G Generation game. It's the only part of the franchise they actually ejected from the cannon.
FordR

hotlimit wrote:G-Saviour isn't even in the barrel, and never will be, unless some day I see it in an SD G Generation game. It's the only part of the franchise they actually ejected from the cannon.
No actually it's in cannon still. Unfortunate, but it most definitely is cannon.
AKA- TheTrueYup
yazi88

Would Apolly Bay from Zeta Gundam count as a sempai? Cause I think he was a responsible figure that looked after most of the pilots especially Fa and Katz and was pretty laid back too. Hell I think he was the only person Kamille didn't get pissed off at. His death at the hands of Jerid was quite a sad moment for me in Zeta Gundam, even more than Emma's death.
TimberNewtype

yazi88 wrote: His death at the hands of Jerid was quite a sad moment for me in Zeta Gundam, even more than Emma's death.
I get choked up every time I watch that part :(
Newtype Dad

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life
Follow me on twitter @TimberNewtype
kayone73

hotlimit wrote:
kayone73 wrote:Another Patlabor footnote I like to throw in is the chief mecha designer (and also member of Headgear) is Yutaka Izubuchi, who is also famed for the mecha designs Gundam 0080 and Char's Counterattack. He has that nice anesthetic that looks functional like artistic with the curves and yet real world mechanical details. Personally one of my favorite mecha designers ever. His stuff bridged the harder edged 'real robots' mecha aesthetics from the 80s to the softer, more cartoony or future sci-fi designs evolving in the 90s.
That's pretty interesting. I like what I'm seeing in Patlabor a lot more than 0080, but I definitely see a semblance to the iconic CCA units. Also, I'm only on episode 3, but it seems they barely show the Labors at all.
The original OVA series hardly shows any labors or labor action at all. They really become prominent in the first movie and then the TV series/P OVA series show the bulk of the wide variety of labors in the patlabor world. Even so, the show as mentioned by the crew, focuses on the ensemble cast and not robot action. Some eps are mecha centric, but honestly the best eps in the franchise feature no labors at all, either just super dramatic, freaking hilarious with excellent writing. You know mamoru oshii can do serious drama in Ghost in the Shell, but his comedy writing is... insane. All i'll say is you MUST watch the tv series (a reboot of the continuity) and keep an eye out for 'chinese takeout delivery incident' and 'japanese bath house' eps.
hotlimit

Yeah, I know they said that it wasn't focused on 'robot action', but I didn't think that meant there wouldn't be robot ANYTHING! I thought there would at least be more hijinx like in the second episode where they spend 5 minutes trying to get Izumi's labor over the raised walkway.
yazi88

kayone73 wrote:keep an eye out for 'chinese takeout delivery incident' and 'japanese bath house' eps.
Don't forget about episodes featuring Alligators too.
hotlimit

Oh, and I've never seen ghost in the shell, so maybe I'm not getting the shock I'm supposed to at the director doing comedy.
kayone73

hotlimit wrote:Oh, and I've never seen ghost in the shell, so maybe I'm not getting the shock I'm supposed to at the director doing comedy.
Check out Mamoru Oshii's other well know bodies of work:

UY: Beautiful Dreamer
Angel's Egg (really surreal 80s OVA)
Patlabor movie 1 (obviously)
GiTS movie 1 & 2
Keberos: Panzer Saga

You'll get the gist of the tone of his 'serious' work.
hotlimit

Yeah, I was planning on seeing the Patlabor movie, but I didn't know how weird it would be to have the goofy OVA show turn into something serious all the sudden.

I pretty much avoided Ghost in the Shell my entire life because the tagline was, "It found a voice... now it needs a body." I was like, "OK, no thank you. Add that to the list of things that make it difficult to sleep at night." Now it's just one of those things that I simply haven't gotten around to. I guess I should make an effort - otherwise, how else will I be prepared to watch James Cameron's 'Battle Angel Alita' when it comes out in 4D in the year 2040?
animalia

How about Kurz Weber from Full Metal Panic! as a sempai to Sousuke? One of my my favorite scenes form the series is when Kurz, a notorious womanizer, berates Sousuke for his indecision of which girl to rescue during a hostage situation.
Full Metal Panic! One Night Stand wrote:...Sousuke sighed. "What would you have done in that situation? Who would you have put first, Kaname or the colonel?
"Let's see...I probably would've picked the girl i liked more-the nice one who would repay me with some sweet burning love, because that's what's important."
"Nonsense." Sousuke furrowed his brow. "It isn't a question of liking anyone. I'm talking about making the most efficient choice."
"That's why you're a fool," Kruz chuckled. "If you ask me, it really didn't matter which one you chose. In the end the outcome would've been the same either way.."
"But-"
"You have to trust your instincts, man-or call it 'inspiration,' if you want. I mean trying to calculate everything is impossible."
Sousuke stared for a moment.
Do you honestly think you can make everyone happy? That's sounds like the beginning of a creepy harem fantasy. Well, rock on, amigo. I have your back on that one..."
Andrew86

I have not yet listened to the debate as I've yet to tackle SEED Destiny.

That being said Neo I cannot even take your points seriously when I do give because you are SO SO SO negative about everything leading up to that point I can't take your side seriously.

Jabman may be an apologist, and come off a bit corny. At least he seems sincere and attempts to make a genuine argument. I like your dry delivery and I'm as big a cynic as anyone it's just hard to deal with you ridiculing everything he said.

Perhaps you guys have history of picking on each other, but it gets kind of hard to deal with being so down on every word he says even when he is not debating any type of point.

Aside from that, I enjoy your guys podcast. Keep it up!