Ep. 085 - Sempai Shodown!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.

Who won the Debate?!

Neo
67%
Jabman025
33%

Total votes: 21
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 085 - Sempai Shodown!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 085 - "Sempai Shodown"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 138 min., 33 sec. (2:18:33) - 63.4 MB

Special Guest Appearance by: Jabman025 of the I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside podcast! (End of Intro Segment)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 1:02:54 (Duration: 1:02:11)

03. Jabman: Defender of Destiny!!! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 1:02:54 - 1:04:07 (Duration: 0:01:13)

04. Next Time on Shinjuku Station at the Movies - Review 003: Summer Comic Book Movie Round-up! (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:04:07 - 1:05:48 (Duration: 0:01:41)

05. 1st Segment: "Patlabor Round-Up! - 'Mobile Police Patlabor'" (1988 OVA Series)
Runtime: 1:05:48 - 1:30:10 (Duration: 0:24:22)

06. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:30:10 - 1:31:20 (Duration: 0:01:10)

07. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:31:20 - 1:32:04 (Duration: 0:00:44)

08. 2nd Segment: "Name the Sempai! - Notable 'Big Brother' Characters in Mecha Anime!" (Roundtable Discussion)
Runtime: 1:32:04 - 2:11:27 (Duration: 0:39:23)

09. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:11:27 - 2:12:18 (Duration: 0:00:51)

10. Next Time on "Shinjuku Fight Club: Ep. 001 - 3rd Strike Strikes Again!" (Podcast) (Now Available!)
Runtime: 2:12:18 - 2:13:34 (Duration: 0:01:16)

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:13:34 - 2:18:33 (Duration: 0:04:59)

Patlabor Round-up Begins with our review of the original 7 episode OVA series, "Mobile Police Patlabor"! Then we discuss our favorite (and not-so-favorite) sempai characters in mecha anime!

Many thanks again to Jabman025 for joining us at the end of the Intro Segment! A thread for your replies to the debate that he and Neo had about Gundam Seed Destiny will be up on MechaTalk.net very soon, but if you have yet to listen to is, please visit the post below:

Episode 24: The Defender of Destiny

Make sure to subscribe to the SBO Podcast and let Jabman025 & The Fowl Sorcerous that Gundamn sent you! Also peep Jabman025's model reviews on his YouTube Channel as well!

Peep these Links also!:
- Chaos Theater: Episode 013 - Back to the Future (Mechatalk Thread)
- Laplace's Box: Episode 002 - Comic Con & Wonder Festival
- GundamFan89: Gundamn! Podcast 'Fanboy' Promo

Hungry for more Gundamn! Check out Dollow Rlance's coverage of "Anime Expo" in Special 014! Mad props to him for putting that together and attending the convention!

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode
- Coming soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios

Sponsors & Special Offers:
PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 085 - Sempai Shodown!

Just finished listening to the episode.

I think Gatekeepr has me beat for most ammount of questions submitted, period.
Patlabor segment was handy as Madman recently announced they intend to release more Patlabor.

As for Sempai's you mentioned him but didn't go too much in to Andrew Waltfield or Ramba Ral, not much reason to though I suppose.

I'm not sure if Gamlin from Macrosss 7 qualifies for it also.
Also for an awesome example of a Sempai who is the main character Gai from GaoGaiGar.
He is that definetely to Mamorou, but he also inspires others around him at times or gives some solid advice.
Also thanks for using the idea I submitted again, but also I thought you guys were going to do one earlier I remember, ah well, now that idea is done and used up.

That is all I've got to contribute.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gundamtype0

Another sweet episode gents!

I really need to get into Patlabor. I had the all the episodes for awhile so no excuses now.

A pretty good sempai was Lockon #1 from Gundam 00. As for evil sempai, that'd be low rent mask man himself, Chronicle Asher. He really screwed up Katejina.
kayone73

The Patlabor roundup begins at last...awesome.

I have fond memories of seeing the first ep of the 88 Patlabor OVA series, back in HS when I barely knew what real anime was, there was this japanese guy in my high school who happened to have it, as well as all of Zeta Gundam unsubbed on VHS. I ate all of that up, but that ep of Patlabor, being pretty new at the time, blew me away, not so much because it was action filled (it was not) but that I was watching a show that seemed more like a live action TV drama in animated form.

And then the rest they say, is history.
Vent Noir

I'll probably get around to watching Patlabor when Madman releases the box set down here. I've been meaning to see it for a while (so far I've only seen the first movie and a couple of TV episodes).

EDIT: Also, the sempai segment. As you mentioned, it is a rare thing to see a female character in a mentor role. The one that immediately comes to mind, though, is Kazumi from Gunbuster.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
jcncasval76

for the debate on "Gundam Seed Destiny", the main character was SUPPOSED to be Shin Asuka, for some reason Fukuda ran out of ideas and literally recycled many of the ideas from the old Gundam Series (and needless to say, Seed, sadly was included), and the conclusion was a polar opposite & lopsided battle. While the concept may have sounded like a very good idea, except the execution was utter toilet-grade. So, I'm giving my verdict in favor of Neo.

Neo, concerning your guess on JAM Project, here's some of the music they have done:
  • "TRANSFORMERS EVO" c/w "PRAISE BE TO DECEPTICON" - April 21, 2010
    TV series Transformers: Animated opening Theme
    "MAXON" c/w "LONGING" - October 27, 2010
    TV anime Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Inspector 1st opening theme
    "Shugojin-The Guardian" (守護神-The guardian?) c/w "Godest!" - August 5, 2009
    TV anime Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen 2nd opening Theme
    "Go! Go! Rescue" (Go!Go!レスキュー Gō! Gō! Resukyū?) c/w "March of Rescue Hero" (マーチ・オブ・レスキューヒーロー Māchi Obu Resukyū Hīrō?) - February 26, 2003
    Both feat. Hiroshi Kitadani & Masaaki Endoh & Rica Matsumoto
    TV anime Shutsugeki! Machine Robo Rescue opening & ending theme
    "GARO ~SAVIOR IN THE DARK~" (牙狼~SAVIOR IN THE DARK~?) c/w "Fencer of GOLD" - January 25, 2006
    Tokusatsu series GARO second opening theme
    "The Gate of the Hell" (feat. Yoshiki Fukuyama) c/w "Senshi yo Nemure…" (戦士よ眠れ…?, "Sleeping Soldier…" feat. Yoshiki Fukuyama) c/w "Majin Kenzan!!" (魔神見参!!?, "Demon Arrives!!" feat. Masaaki Endoh) - August 6, 2003
    OVA Mazinkaiser: Shitou! Ankoku Daishogun opening & ending theme & insert song
    "FIRE WARS" (feat. Hironobu Kageyama) c/w "TORNADO" - September 29, 2001
    Feat. Ichirou Mizuki
    OVA Mazinkaiser opening & ending theme"Rescue Fire" (レスキューファイアー Resukyū Faiā?) c/w "Three Souls" - May 27, 2009
    Tokusatsu series Tomica Hero: Rescue Fire opening theme
btw, they were founded in 2000 by Ichirou Mizuki, Rica Matsumoto (who has stepped away from the group for her individual project), Masaaki Endoh and Hironobu Kageyama.

If I remember correctly, I saw Patlabor a few years back, and it was a very good series - though I wish I had the time to follow it more intently.

one last thing, during the discussion on sempai, did I just hear soemthing weird because some technical issues with Skype that skew some of Chris's comments?
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
Mu La Flaga

JAM has also done music work for SRW games and I think the animes also.
eanetdude

Neo get's my vote for the Destiny debate.
hotlimit

Great episode! This is the first time (well, second if you include Gunpla Builders) I've actually decided to watch something from your anime roundups! I just finished the first Patlabor OVA, and it's off to a great start. The Labors look sick, and the gun-happy dude is off the wall, hahaha.

As for the debate, Neo won- but only because Jabman didn't really defend Destiny. You don't defend Destiny by making stuff up. I'm sure Jeff is a good guy, but man, have some backbone when people are throwing piffling arguments at you.

@SoulBro: No chitlins?! You might have to change your name to just "Bro Ryu" if you keep that up!

By the way, who is going to be co-hosting Shinjuku Fight Club? Is it going to be a Capcom/ArcSys-only show, or are you gonna have some Namco/Tecmo action on as well?
Mu La Flaga

I forgot to put my stamp down on the debate.

Neo dude, I don't totally hate Destiny, yeha it's got major flaws, it's like ZZ it's one of the weakest Gundam entries.
But it's better then G-Saviour.

Also as much as you may plead or say, not to let the like or dislike opinion factor in, for some people it may do.

But anyway I have my reasons, besides I've considered defecting from Team Neo.
And also getting rid of the unofficial title you gavbe me and still use of "Number 1 Chris Guanche fan"

So you know, what goes around comes around!
FordR

Mu La Flaga wrote:I forgot to put my stamp down on the debate.

Neo dude, I don't totally hate Destiny, yeha it's got major flaws, it's like ZZ it's one of the weakest Gundam entries.
But it's better then G-Saviour.

Also as much as you may plead or say, not to let the like or dislike opinion factor in, for some people it may do.
Er. I don't see what it supposedly being better than G-Saviour has to do with it being a poor show. (I personally would say it's worse because it's 51 episodes long vs 93 minutes, granted not all 51 episodes are bad but a good chunk more than 93 minutes is.) There being other worse shows and movies doesn't make it suddenly a better show.

Not sure where the pleading or the statement to not let the like or dislike opinion factor in was in this podcast, perhaps I missed something, could you specify? (I would say the like or dislike factor doesn't factor in anyways though, because liking something has nothing to do with quality. I like terrible movies and I like good movies, that doesn't change their actual quality, just my opinion of it but whatever.)

As far as the actual "debate" it wasn't much of a debate.
Example:
Jabman: "Athrun is the main character because he makes choices" (Random nonsense stuff that is not in the show)
Neo: "Wat" (Then proceeding to state something remotely factual and supported by the show)
-End debate

Just something that kinda irked me that I felt I should pick out since no one else seems to have done so. "Then don't watch the show, if you don't like it don't watch it. You watched it to the end didn't ya." <- Jabman

Problem with that is: If you're going to hate on something, view all of it. So you know what you're talking about. I.E. "Educated Hate" (Phrase taken from fts)

Yeah I watched it to the end, I hated doing it but, gotta know what I'm talking about if I'm going to ever discuss the show with anybody.

p.s. Jabman, while you didn't make any real sense here, I must say your model reviews on youtube are quite good and appreciated. Thumbs up for that.

(Anyone reading should note that, this whole thing doesn't matter and is just for entertainment purposes, just like our discussion concerning it, try not to take anything personally)

Alright, debate conversation aside and on to the actual topic of this post.

I must say I wasn't too interested in Patlabor at all simply because of the advertising I saw for it. I was kinda meh on the whole thing even though I know it's fairly widely regarded as a good-great show. However, hearing that the actual show is nothing like the advertising portrays and seems to offer content that would interest me greatly. (How the episodes and characterization are set up for instance)

Though on Amazon I'm only finding the tv show itself and not the ova, which I presume is similarly structured content?
AKA- TheTrueYup
Chris
Administrator

FordR wrote:Though on Amazon I'm only finding the tv show itself and not the ova, which I presume is similarly structured content?
It's on Amazon, but somebody's selling it for $145. As good as it is, a 7 episode OVA isn't worth that much. While you can find the TV show pretty cheaply, the original OVA is pretty hard to come by for cheap, even on eBay. You might have to resort to "gray" methods. And yes, the content in the TV show is pretty similar to the OVA.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
hotlimit

FordR wrote: Not sure where the pleading or the statement to not let the like or dislike opinion factor in was in this podcast, perhaps I missed something, could you specify?
It was at the end of the little Jabman/Neo segment, when Neo said the point of giving a vote to Jabman or himself was about the debate ONLY, not whether or not you like Neo or Jabman personally (this was just Neo's response to some of the comments on the SBO page, which were basically "Neo was mean, so I vote for Jabman")
FordR

Chris wrote: It's on Amazon, but somebody's selling it for $145. As good as it is, a 7 episode OVA isn't worth that much. While you can find the TV show pretty cheaply, the original OVA is pretty hard to come by for cheap, even on eBay. You might have to resort to "gray" methods. And yes, the content in the TV show is pretty similar to the OVA.
hotlimit wrote: It was at the end of the little Jabman/Neo segment, when Neo said the point of giving a vote to Jabman or himself was about the debate ONLY, not whether or not you like Neo or Jabman personally (this was just Neo's response to some of the comments on the SBO page, which were basically "Neo was mean, so I vote for Jabman")
Ah. Well thanks to the both of you for that!
AKA- TheTrueYup
kayone73

Another Patlabor footnote I like to throw in is the chief mecha designer (and also member of Headgear) is Yutaka Izubuchi, who is also famed for the mecha designs Gundam 0080 and Char's Counterattack. He has that nice anesthetic that looks functional like artistic with the curves and yet real world mechanical details. Personally one of my favorite mecha designers ever. His stuff bridged the harder edged 'real robots' mecha aesthetics from the 80s to the softer, more cartoony or future sci-fi designs evolving in the 90s.
hotlimit

kayone73 wrote:Another Patlabor footnote I like to throw in is the chief mecha designer (and also member of Headgear) is Yutaka Izubuchi, who is also famed for the mecha designs Gundam 0080 and Char's Counterattack. He has that nice anesthetic that looks functional like artistic with the curves and yet real world mechanical details. Personally one of my favorite mecha designers ever. His stuff bridged the harder edged 'real robots' mecha aesthetics from the 80s to the softer, more cartoony or future sci-fi designs evolving in the 90s.
That's pretty interesting. I like what I'm seeing in Patlabor a lot more than 0080, but I definitely see a semblance to the iconic CCA units. Also, I'm only on episode 3, but it seems they barely show the Labors at all.
Mu La Flaga

@FordR:
I would not, for the first 37 or so episodes it was ok, it could have potentially some of it's major flaws with show hijacking by Kira and co.

So considering you have over HALF the series being good/okay episodes.
That is my opinion on it where as G-Saviour just looks ack!
hotlimit

Mu La Flaga wrote:@FordR:
So considering you have over HALF the series being good/okay episodes.
That is my opinion on it where as G-Saviour just looks ack!
Yeah to be honest, anyone that tries to convince you that G-Saviour is better than Destiny is basically the typification of those "contrarian" people that Neo hates so much. I'm all for not making Destiny out to be better than it is, so long as people don't pretend that Destiny is worse than it is.
Mu La Flaga

Yeah Destiny up to a point is decent.

I mean hello, Shinn beating Kira and taking him down a peg for a while.
I get the impression Neo just hates on it more then he used to do though.
FordR

Well again, that's my personal opinion and is purely based on running time. (I'd draw the line at an episode in the early 20's myself, not 37, but again, that's my opinion of it.)

However, my whole point with that statement is that it's entirely irrelevant the quality of other shows or movies when determining the quality of a singular show or movie. A bad movie/show is a bad movie/show regardless of it's predecessors or successors. The same for a good movie/show.

(Do note: That is of course excluding the obvious cases where you are doing a quality comparison between works done by the same production team, directors, etc. The debate centralized upon a single show and it's actual quality, whether it is good or bad, which is what I'm focusing on here.)

Do keep in mind here, that just because something may be bad, it hardly matters because everyone's tastes are different. Like what you want.
AKA- TheTrueYup