TIGER & BUNNY

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
bRianex

Re: TIGER & BUNNY

........finally give a glimpse of who might be Barraby's parent's murderer, although he thinks it might be Wild Tiger because of he was holding a taser with flames in the background and the murderer cultprit also had facial hair except after the credits it actually shows the supposed real criminal.......

Geez, I never ever seem a taser with flames., This is rare in the eyes.. :mrgreen: :roll: :roll:
And the things that we fear are a weapon like stun baton to be held against us. -=bRiaNex=-
Dean_the_Young

Spoiler
Kaede fixes all the Heroes (but Barnaby) with a scream. Skyhigh ruins our uber-convenient fix by giving the bad touch. (Apparently Kaede doesn't need direct skin contact.)

Barnaby really is mad, and Tiger leads him on a gauntlet around town on what must have been a multi-hour motorcycle chase.

Tiger puts a fist in Barnaby's face in the process of trying to convince him they've been partners. (But he hasn't called Barnaby 'Bunny' yet.)

Scarf-san talks for the first time, thus graduating to 'actual character.'

Surprisingly, Karina and Kaede seem to get off to a good start.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Destiny_Gundam

Dean_the_Young wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Heh, with that part I was like "Yeah Karina, if you wanna be her future mom you better get score points with her now." XD

Of course they don't show the fake-Tiger's face and leave it for a surprise next episode... Well, I don't think they'll see some one's face there, but some robot parts.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Blightstrider

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Dean_the_Young wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Heh, with that part I was like "Yeah Karina, if you wanna be her future mom you better get score points with her now." XD

Of course they don't show the fake-Tiger's face and leave it for a surprise next episode... Well, I don't think they'll see some one's face there, but some robot parts.
Spoiler
That or the backstage thief that filled in for Barnaby once
Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.'
Ryujin

Man, this latest episode...

Looks like the unexpected team-up mentioned beforehand in other media was
Spoiler
Ben & Saito, after all. Now to see if the bomb-collar situation leads up to some rumored action involving Fire Emblem.
Vent Noir

I really hope the other heroes get to do something more than just cheerlead for T&B in the climax.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Destiny_Gundam

Spoiler
Hm, not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. With the sadistic choice the other heros are being forced to make, there's not a single one of them I can see being tempted to save themselves by killing the others. There's no designated coward character that would leave you in suspence wondering if they'll crack or not.

So on the one hand it's nice the characters are so respectable, but on the other there's no tension in their situation so the drama suffers some.
Vent Noir

Spoiler
Seems like they're cribbing from The Dark Knight, but it lacks the tension of that.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Destiny_Gundam

Spoiler
So there's a few "will there or won't they" moments in regards to who'll push the collar buttons. In the end, Kaede, who was being held in the same room as that scientist guy, uses Blue Rose's powers to short out the system and release the others.

Kotetsu and Barnaby get their asses kicked by the robot, but it ends when Kotetsu holds the robot while Barnaby use's the robot's beam shotgun to blow it away. And like Piccolo, Goku, and Raditz, Kotetsu dies as a result.

Yeah right.
Dean_the_Young

'Yeah right' is right. If Tiger's actually dead, I'll be prepared to take back these words, but-

I'm just not feeling it. The bomb-collar concept wasn't exactly surprising or dramatic. The ultimate ending to the fight wasn't exactly innovative.

Probably the most interesting part of the episode for me was how Kaede saved the day with Blue Rose's powers.

A sub-par episode, compared to most of the rest of the series.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
hitokirigarou

Apollon Media (Wild Tiger and Barnaby Brooks, Jr.) - a major media company managing the OBC channel, which runs HeroTV. Its mythical symbol is a griffin although it has a lion's head instead of an eagle's. Named after Apollo, the Olympian god of light, healing, music and poetry.

Titan Industry (Blue Rose) - specializes in heavy industry, particularly large construction projects and related equipment. Its mythical symbol is Bastet. Named after the titans, a group of deities who preceded the Olympian gods.

Kronos Foods (Rock Bison) - largest company in the food industry. Its mythical symbol is a minotaur. Named after Kronos, the titan/personification of the earth.

Poseidon Line (Sky High) - controls nearly all the public transportation in the city (monorails, taxis and blimps). Its mythical symbol is a pegasus. Named after Poseidon, the Olympian god of the sea, earthquakes and horses.

Odysseus Communications (Dragon Kid) - provides communication services for the city. Its mythical symbol is a (western) dragon. Named after Odysseus, who is best known as the eponymous hero of the Odyssey.

Helperidese Finance (Origami Cyclone) - provides financial services such as banking, insurance, stock brokerages, investment funds, etc. Its mythical symbol is a komainu ("lion-dog"). Named after the Hesperides, a group of nymphs who tend a garden where a tree bearing golden apples that bestow immortality grows.

Helios Energy (Fire Emblem) - a huge conglomerate of corporations related to the energy business. Its mythical symbol is a phoenix. Named after Helios, the titan/personification of the sun.
Destiny_Gundam

So last episode
Spoiler
OR IS IT?! *omunous music*

So Tiger is dead. *snort*

Marverick lets loose many android Tigers, and the other heros have a pretty neat fight against them. They lose, of course, but before the androids can kill them, the safey device kicks in.

Maverick and the scientist dude get knocked out a window, with Maverick kciking the scientist to his death so he can climb back in.

Maverick goes to reset the system, but the heros face him. They try to arrest him but he says no one will believe them or something, but Agnes shows up, saying she's broadcasted the whole thing. She had regained her memory when she saw Kaede's powers on TV.

Maverick runs and holds Kaede at gunpoint, but Kotetsu gets up behind him and punches him away. Everyone is surprised and Kotetsu says "Don't just go and kill me off!" Barnaby, Kaede and Karina (lol) all cling to him crying.

Ivan suddenly throws his shuriken at him, but he was just blocking Maverick's escape. Maverick says he's commited no crime and all he did was a good thing. Kotetsu says it's the end for Maverick and Uroboros under the assumption that Maverick is the leader. Maverick says Uroboros will never end and uses his powers to turn himself into a vegatable.

Kaede finally says her dad is cool. He tells everyone he's quitting and Barnaby decides to quit as well.

Maverick is taken away, but Lunatic arrives and executes him.

Either a week or a month later, everyone's going about their lives (Dragon Kid wears a cute dress, Karina looks at a "100 Ways to make a single father fall for you" book, lmao). They all get summoned for some heroics.

Barnaby visits his parent's grave and realises something that I have no idea about. Need subs.

Tiger is still a hero, helping out the B League despite his power decline. Yuri is surprisingly quite happy to see this.

Kotetsu falls through a roof but Barnaby catches him, they bicker a bit, and then get back to work.

The series ends with a boy buying a Tiger and Barnaby trading card. His money gets taken away by the wind and the bill lands in a puddle, the water revealing the symbol of Uroboros. Dun dun DUN!
Ryujin

I enjoyed the ending. Sure, it was broadly predictable, but the details and execution made it quite entertaining.
Spoiler
I was expecting Lunatic to roast Maverick--after all, he is a conveniently amoral Chekov's Gun/deus ex machina of sorts, but Maverick turning his power on himself was pretty unexpected. Nice way to protect Ouroboros. I also liked how mad scientist Rotwang ended up doing a Hans Gruber off Nakatomi Plaza. Maverick had dropped hints that his employment was going to be...temporary, especially given his anti-NEXT rants, but that was hilarious and well-deserved.

The explanations for Tiger's survival (Lack of telemetry? There's no suit left to transmit it! Also, when you think about it, Kotetsu was pretty much on the run, with little chance of food or rest, for quite a while--I was expecting him to wake up after a week in the hospital instead of some minutes later) was exactly how I thought it would turn out to be.

In addition, all those minor character cameos was a nice bonus. Nice to see Tony getting along with ice-skater boy.

And apparently, money getting wet in Stern Bild is a one-in-a-billion occurrence.
Overall, the show's a big feather in Keiichi Satou's cap (and an unexpected windfall for Sunrise). Hopefully, his team would get the go-ahead on future projects that can elaborate further on some issues/plot points that the series wasn't able to follow up on.
Vent Noir

I'm really glad I got into this. In fact, I'd say it's my favourite superhero TV Show/Movie (Japanese or western) since The Incredibles. I'm looking forward to the second season.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Destiny_Gundam

Apparently Sunrise didn't have very high hopes for the show and they mostly left the team to their own devices. But since it turned into a hit, it's always possible that Sunrise will want to exert more executive control on season 2 and the quality may be affected as a result.
Dean_the_Young

Definitely a good, unconventional, and well-deserved success for the year in anime. T&B probably won't win any 'best' awards, but it should definitely get nods and accolades: the series took some gambles, such as with an older, single-father protagonist and the inclusion more western-themed superheroes points (and the commercialization tie-ins), but I think it's safe to say those gambles paid off.

Oh, the series had flaws no doubt. If your hero-name wasn't 'Tiger' or 'Barnaby', you weren't in for anything close to regular or even deep character development. Animation quality varied. There were some exceptionally cheesy or predictable happenings, and a number of loose ends.

But these flaws didn't overshadow the series. Kotetsu and Barnaby were well written, well acted, and a complimentary pair who carried the show well. The use of subtle foreshadowing was very well done, the drama (and weaknesses of the cast) were both understandable and reasonable, and while the supporting cast could have been fleshed out more they were still interesting and generally well-suited for their roles. The series dipped a lot in predictability, but at the same time avoided many of the worst cliches that pop up in anime.

Tiger and Bunny is a good show. Maybe not a great show, and certainly not perfect, but it was welcome, entertaining, and certainly unconventional. The best praise that could be given to this series is that not only do I hope for a sequel, but I think anime as a whole could stand to learn from Tiger and Barnaby.

Official Jerid Fanboy