Random OYW Questions

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Cardi Doorl

Re: Random OYW Questions

OYW Fan wrote:Has there ever been any mention of who may have been the very first test pilot for Federation MS? If I recall correctly, I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the first person to pilot a Feddie MS was actually a Zeon POW, who was forced into helping the Federation test it's MS. I could be mistaken, as I can't remember any specifics, like his name and such. This leads me to wonder what model of MS he was forced to test pilot.
The story of the Zeon POW forced to test Federal MS comes from some obscure manga from 1990. In it, the guy has to pilot the Gundam in its early evaluation tests. I don't think any other sources echo this information, though, so do whatever you want with it.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
OYW Fan

Thanks for all the help so far guys! You've been keeping the responses coming, and that's all I could ask for. If I recall correctly, someone may have posted a picture of the captured test pilot once. Long ago that is, and on a different message board I believe. If anyone else might know where I might be able to find a picture of him, that would be super cool.

Now I came across a picture of Lila Milla Rira http://web.archive.org/web/200803130800 ... whitewolf/, during her OYW days. It made me wonder, what type of MS did she pilot back then? Has there ever been any mention of that?

I also was wondering, has there ever been any info on what happened with Japan during the OYW? Occupied? Liberated? Any events that may have happened there? Basically any information at all would be cool.
mcred23

OYW Fan wrote:Now I came across a picture of Lila Milla Rira http://web.archive.org/web/200803130800 ... whitewolf/, during her OYW days. It made me wonder, what type of MS did she pilot back then? Has there ever been any mention of that?
That link just goes to the main page, no picture of Lila, and I couldn't find one on that site anyway. :|
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
OYW Fan

I'm sorry, here is the corrected link - http://web.archive.org/web/200711131952 ... LMLyla.jpg. Now give it a moment to load. It only appears like the link doesn't work, but I assure you it does, it just needs a moment to load properly. If for some reason it doesn't load properly, just click the Impatient? link in the bottom right hand corner.

She seems to be decked out in a very personalized pilot's suit. So maybe she was a decent pilot during the OYW? Unless any old pilot, even the bad ones, could spice up their pilot suits. So that brings me to another question, did a pilot have to be an ace or someone special to customize their pilot suit, or even their MS?
mcred23

It works. Can't help with her history, but as far as the pilot suit thing goes, there doesn't seem to be any issues with people having non-standard colors. The standard Federation one during the OYW and 0083 is yellow, but we have numerious examples of people wearing white for seemingly no reason at all, plus various other less common colors show up and nothing is ever made of it and no reason has ever been offered to explain any of them.

Dendrobium Stamen

The only explanation seems to be an out-of-universe one: Main characters wear white, secondary and cannon fodder wear yellow, South Burning wears blue because dammit, he's Lieutenant Burning and nobody can tell him otherwise.

In-universe, the only explanation that comes to mind (and via 0083 and very little else) is that in the 0079-0083 era, white indicates a newly-qualified pilot (Kou and Keith), yellow indicates a pilot who's passed their probationary period or equivalent (most of the Immoral 4th Team - and that's not a typo), and blue indicates a team/squadron leader (the aforementioned Lieutenant Burning).

The kids on White Base, meanwhile, make do with what they have in the right sizes - though Ryu throws a spanner in the works by wearing yellow and being a pilot trainee; I'd like to just handwave that as "they don't make white suits in his size"... :roll:
"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer.
A Wind Raging Through, a Destiny sidestory.
toysdream

This design for Lila comes from the Gihren's Greed strategy game series, where she's a playable character during the One Year War. She doesn't have an associated back story or assigned mobile suit in the game, but her pilot suit is actually a slight modification of Chris Mackenzie's suit in Gundam 0080, which may suggest that she's also a test pilot.

-- Mark
Gelgoog Jager

As part of many IF scenarios of the PS2 game Gundam VS. Zeta Gundam, she also appears as a OYW pilot. However she is depicted using a traditional yellow pilot suit. Her available OYW MS are a RGM-79, a RGM-79[G] and a RX-79[G].

Regarding Japan, I'm not quite sure, but wasn't there where Amuro met his mother at refugee camp? Can someone pelase confirm/deny this, and if so, indicate us where did Amuro met with her?
toysdream

In the TV series, Amuro's hometown (where he meets his mom) is in Japan. In the movies, they moved it to British Columbia. In both cases, it's a frontline between Zeon and Federation territory.

-- Mark
mcred23

DS wrote:The only explanation seems to be an out-of-universe one: Main characters wear white, secondary and cannon fodder wear yellow, South Burning wears blue because dammit, he's Lieutenant Burning and nobody can tell him otherwise.

In-universe, the only explanation that comes to mind (and via 0083 and very little else) is that in the 0079-0083 era, white indicates a newly-qualified pilot (Kou and Keith), yellow indicates a pilot who's passed their probationary period or equivalent (most of the Immoral 4th Team - and that's not a typo), and blue indicates a team/squadron leader (the aforementioned Lieutenant Burning).
The out-of-universe explanation seems correct to the best of everyones knowledge, but the in-universe ones seems shakey, IMO. Shiro's white suit, both during his flashback to the start of the war and around the time he joins the 08th, makes me question the idea that it's for new pilots (Mainly since I'm not sure exactly what he was doing at the start of the war), and I personally just don't like the idea that everyone supposedly changes from white to yellow at some point. :roll: The blue (Or grey, as it looks in Burning's character art) as a team leader makes me think of Sleggar, who has blue and isn't a team leader when we see him (I'm totally sure of his history, so he may have been one for all I know), and the leader of a GM Kai team we see in 0083. That could just imply it's ment for a higher level of organization than a team (A squadron or company, perhaps?), but it's all just more speculation.

And for the test pilot thing as Mark suggested, doesn't Ford Romfellow (I think him, one of those EFSF guys from game/manga land :mrgreen:) wear the same pilot suit as Chris? I'm not sure if he's also a test pilot (Or was considered one at some point), and thinking of him makes me wonder what colors the folks from Blue Destiny sport in the various video games they appear in (Since the manga is black and white and not helpful on this front :mrgreen:).

In any event, the one constant is that yellow is supposed to be the standard issue color for the average pilot. Most of the people in the works we see that are just normal pilots, or started as that, wear yellow, not to mention all the nameless GM pilots. Everything else (White, blue, grey, Sayla's darker yellow-y one, and whatever else one remembers being used) is up in the air and pretty much just speculation on our part (Although it's a nice lil' subject that keeps coming up 8)).

toysdream

I'd like to think that the pilot suit colors might be related to service branch. The Jet Core Booster pilots we see in the last episodes of 08th MS Team are wearing blue pilot suits, just like Sleggar. We also see these on Jack and Adam from "Gundam The Ride", as well as a couple of the MSV aces.

And yes, Ford and Luce (the Gundam G04 and G05 pilots) also wear the same type of pilot suit as Chris and Lila. Apparently Ford and Luce were both test pilots at the Augusta Base, so this would pretty much confirm the "test pilot suit" theory.

-- Mark
OYW Fan

This is going to be quite the inquisition...

Years ago there was a site, possibly started by RGZ-91, that I have now long since forgotten, nor have been able to find since. However, the site's creator took it upon themselves to capture screens of characters/pilot's bios from the Dreamcast and PS2 versions of Giren's Greed. It was quite awesome to say the least. I was able to save a large portion of these, which I have assembled here - http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j445/MSteedle/. As you can see, it appears that white pilot suits are usually worn by MS team leaders, whilst orange suits are typically worn by the other two members of the MS team. Doing a little research, I looked up Yuu - 2nd Lieutenant, Shiro - Ensign, and Amuro's - Ensign, ranks on the Gundam Wiki, which could be incorrect for all I know, against Mark Simmons' Animerica Gundam Official Guide's ranking system and determined that military branch appeared to have no influence. Same can be said for Gary Rogers, and his fellow blue suit wearing pilots. So as it stand, it really just seems like personal preference, but my research could be flawed as I'm no expert and can only get my information from English sources.

Now, this question pertains to the bio details of Lydo Wolf from his Giren's Greed. If you haven't seen it, it's in the album that I posted a link to earlier in this post. If RGZ-91's translation is correct, which I'm sure it is, it makes mention that his use of painting his MS in all black is unique within the Federation. Now does that imply that he was the only one to use black for his MS? Or that he was the only one to paint his MS in a custom color? I was hoping for clarification on this because, as it stands, he's the only Feddie from the OYW that I know of with a custom MS paint scheme, so if that's the case it seems it could go either way.

Lastly, I'll ask this again, because I'm so very curious about it. I am dieing to know, why they chose to use a GM head for the RX-79BD-1 Blue Destiny Unit 1. It being built from a RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type, the parts involved would clearly call for a Gundam head. So I wonder if there has ever been any information, maybe some sort of Q&A with the designer/creator or anything really that may shed some light on the reason behind it.

That's it for now. I'll refrain from asking anything more, as I hoped to get some feedback on these questions before I swamp the topic with any more.
Cardi Doorl

OYW Fan wrote:As you can see, it appears that white pilot suits are usually worn by MS team leaders, whilst orange suits are typically worn by the other two members of the MS team. Doing a little research, I looked up Yuu - 2nd Lieutenant, Shiro - Ensign, and Amuro's - Ensign, ranks on the Gundam Wiki, which could be incorrect for all I know, against Mark Simmons' Animerica Gundam Official Guide's ranking system and determined that military branch appeared to have no influence.
Wait, I'm not completely sure about Yuu Kajima, but weren't all three of those guys EFSF? How did you come to the conclusion that branch has nothing to do with it?

Nonetheless, you'll note that toysdream's branch/suit hypothesis mostly concentrates on the blue ones and the weird ones that Christina, Lila, Ford, and Luce all wear.

I'm not sure anyone's really proposed a good in-universe explanation that covers those white suits except the idea that they're worn by EFSF team leaders as you suggest above. That's probably the best we can get on that one. Amuro could be cited as an exception since he wasn't a team leader per se, but it could be explained away by circumstances given the White Base crew was working with very little. If there are other possible exceptions then they're not springing to my mind.
OYW Fan wrote:Same can be said for Gary Rogers, and his fellow blue suit wearing pilots.
Gary Rogers was formerly a fighter pilot and his blue pilot suit could reflect that. The same could presumably be true of his blue-suited companions, especially since the GM Light Armor was often assigned to former fighter pilots.
OYW Fan wrote:So as it stand, it really just seems like personal preference[...]
While I won't dismiss your idea offhand, Mark's hypothesis still holds water and frankly strikes me as more plausible. Consider that the EFF doesn't have a habit of letting pilots customize stuff or exercise personal preferences; that's more of a Zeon thing (and even then mostly for their ace pilots, commanders, and nobility).
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
mcred23

OYW Fan wrote:As you can see, it appears that white pilot suits are usually worn by MS team leaders, whilst orange suits are typically worn by the other two members of the MS team. Doing a little research, I looked up Yuu - 2nd Lieutenant, Shiro - Ensign, and Amuro's - Ensign, ranks on the Gundam Wiki, which could be incorrect for all I know, against Mark Simmons' Animerica Gundam Official Guide's ranking system and determined that military branch appeared to have no influence
The games may suggest white for team leaders, but the animated works don't really back that up. Yes, Shiro was a team leader, but he has the white pilot suit before he is assigned as such, and I don't think Amuro was one either (Certainly not when he first gets the pilot suit), while Kou and Keith clearly weren't leaders when they got their white pilot suits.

Going back...
Mark wrote:I'd like to think that the pilot suit colors might be related to service branch. The Jet Core Booster pilots we see in the last episodes of 08th MS Team are wearing blue pilot suits, just like Sleggar. We also see these on Jack and Adam from "Gundam The Ride", as well as a couple of the MSV aces.

And yes, Ford and Luce (the Gundam G04 and G05 pilots) also wear the same type of pilot suit as Chris and Lila. Apparently Ford and Luce were both test pilots at the Augusta Base, so this would pretty much confirm the "test pilot suit" theory.
Ya know, it's been so long since I'd heard the service branch idea that I'd completely forgotten it. :lol: The test pilot pattern and blue for the EFAF do make sense. I would say that yellow is then for the EFSF, but some of those game/MSV people (Such as Yu's wingmen) serve on Earth and make me wonder if it might be MS pilots in general (But IIRC, Yu himself started in the EFSF, so they may have as well). And of course, still doesn't help us explain white, which gets even more wild when you try to account for the people outside the animated works. :P

Deacon Blues

As for Laila, prior to Zeta Gundam she's affiliated with Green Wyatt's fleet (serving under Ben Wooder it seems as he is Company commander) on their attack on the Zeon base Valsika. She pilots a GM Sniper II. Her rank is Lieutenant JG.
Char's Deleted Affair Official Guide Book wrote:Laila Mira Raira

A mobile suit pilot of Ben Wooder's team. Her personal unit is the GM Sniper II. She realizes that there is highly classified information left inside the base and tries to take it, but she fails, having been thwarted by Fabian. She appears in Zeta as pilot of the Galbaldy Beta