It will come: the US trailer to Turn-A Gundam arrives

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Strike Zero

Re: It will come: the US trailer to Turn-A Gundam arrives

o_O Were those Tron sound effects I heard as the title flashed by?
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Deacon Blues

Shitty font and no mention of Kanno... *claps* Bravo, Bandai. Bunch of schmucks.
Mu La Flaga

Well that was kind of interesting.
Darkerangel

Is it still going to be subs only?
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
Red Comet90

Glad to finally seem something regarding this. I've been wanting to add Turn A Gundam to my DVD collection now for some time.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
DuelGundam2099

Ugh, Turn A, I swear if this gets a US release and ZZ, V, and X don't I'm going to be ticked; although I'm hoping this does well enough that the other three series will be given consideration. (If Raijin-Oh is still being slowly released there is no excuse for the rest either)
Raiden

According to Bandai Entertainment's Facebook page....they conducted and included an interview with Syd Mead. Guess that should be interesting XD. Wonder if he'll comment on the fandom's opinion towards his designs.
LightningCount

Great looking stuff and fantastic news. Still would have preferred Gundam X with a dub (and will be super-excited when/if that happens!), but it's nice to see more pre-SEED Gundam getting released at last!!! (I would have been a lot more hyped if this particular Gundam had been released about 4 or 5 years ago, though...because the last few modern Gundam series/OVAs have left me with a bit of a lukewarm mood). Anyway, it'll be extra nice if Turn-A has a dub. (If any anime franchise deserves to be dubbed, Gundam is right at the top of the list). I'll definitely be following news on its US release.

I haven't seen Turn-A, only screenshots and a few odd battle clips over the years. (Even so, I unfortunately still feel I know too much going in). But two things catch me off guard. The first--and this is neither negative or positive to me--is that it surprises me it was made in 1999, when its coloring, design, and art direction look circa '89-'93. Kind of curious and interesting all at once. It certainly "looks" like a Tomino series. The second thing, that is a bit more jarring, is that it seems from looking at MAHQ and even this trailer to some degree, that Turn-A characters show a lot of "skin"...(more so than the usual Gundam) and it feels out of place and awkward, IMO. It seems to go beyond the usual "fan-service." Was all this really necessary? Can anyone comment to that? Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. :?
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
mcred23

Unless the powers that be have completely flipped, and there has been no word on that, it should still be sub only.
LightningCount wrote:The second thing, that is a bit more jarring, is that it seems from looking at MAHQ and even this trailer to some degree, that Turn-A characters show a lot of "skin"...(more so than the usual Gundam) and it feels out of place and awkward, IMO. It seems to go beyond the usual "fan-service." Was all this really necessary? Can anyone comment to that? Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. :?
There is a bit more nudity than normal for a Gundam show in the first few episodes, but it's not gratuitous and IIRC nothing any more explicit than any other Gundam show (Meaning you might see a boob or a butt a few times :roll:). It's kind of hard to explain and also not give anything away, but it does have something to do with the story, and remember the setting of the show...

But really, it's nothing at all, unless of course the slightest bit of skin in anime is a problem for you, in which case nearly every Gundam series is a problem. :|
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Ciel

Atleast this gives a tiny bit of hope that ZZ could get released here....
Saikuba

I would really like to have a date. But I am glad at least that it is "Coming 2011" and not 2012.
TetraVaal

Glad to see Syd Mead get some love in the trailer, that guy is legendary.
Spiegel

Has there been any word on a price? I'll be picking this up and it's cost is going to determine if I get it immediately or have to wait a little while.
Mekton GM

Darkerangel wrote:Is it still going to be subs only?
They didn't have any VO work in the trailer (Catacter or Narrator) usualy if there is a dub Bandai puts some effort to have atleast have some dialog said in english durring the trailer.
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
Rawinder

Bandai has said before that there will not be a dub for Turn A.
TetraVaal

I'm not overly worried about having a dub-- usually the native language happens to be better anyway.
Siroh32

LightningCount wrote:I haven't seen Turn-A, only screenshots and a few odd battle clips over the years. [...] But two things catch me off guard. The first--and this is neither negative or positive to me--is that it surprises me it was made in 1999, when its coloring, design, and art direction look circa '89-'93. Kind of curious and interesting all at once.
Okay, I'll cop to not having seen dozens of anime in my life, but I still can't help but be confused on how you've come to thinking this, and--in spite of the prior clarification/qualifications of how you feel about it--that it still has a hint of negativity. But I guess that's either me reading too much into it, or being a bit too defensive of something I truly like. Nevertheless, I'm still wondering... Are you comparing mid-to-late-'90s TV anime to some of the late-'80s/early-'90s OVA anime in your head?

I've noticed some occasional gap in quality here and there for the usual budgetary/etc. issues (keeping the best efforts on key events such as the beginning/ending, important story-changing elements, etc.), and that goes with other anime I've seen (and beyond it). Still, TAG is some of the better (if not best) TV animation I've seen for that period. It's been a while, but I've seen a few made around that '99-'00 period some time ago in my life, and TAG seems to have that feel to me.

Maybe the audio (and how it deeply contrasts with prior Gundam shows with their old-school '60s-'70s-ish audio library) has an effect on me, or that I'm generally biased in favor of TAG, maybe I haven't seen enough anime (even amongst Gundam)... *shrug* But regardless of those factors that can water down my viewpoint, I still think the best of TAG's TV animation can even be up there with the immediately-prior EW OVA.

Regardless of how right or wrong I am in the world of opinions on that, I think one could better conclude to an opinion like that (or something else) if they had seen much more than little snippets of a TV anime, let alone the whole thing. After all, thanks to video-playing/editing software, anyone can take a frame out of context and bill an anime as having the worst animation ever. Not unlike how you can pause during a video of someone talking and it looks like that person is making a weird face at you. Or something. *shrug*
LightningCount

Siroh32 wrote:
LightningCount wrote:I haven't seen Turn-A, only screenshots and a few odd battle clips over the years. [...] But two things catch me off guard. The first--and this is neither negative or positive to me--is that it surprises me it was made in 1999, when its coloring, design, and art direction look circa '89-'93. Kind of curious and interesting all at once.
Okay, I'll cop to not having seen dozens of anime in my life, but I still can't help but be confused on how you've come to thinking this, and--in spite of the prior clarification/qualifications of how you feel about it--that it still has a hint of negativity. But I guess that's either me reading too much into it, or being a bit too defensive of something I truly like. Nevertheless, I'm still wondering... Are you comparing mid-to-late-'90s TV anime to some of the late-'80s/early-'90s OVA anime in your head?

I've noticed some occasional gap in quality here and there for the usual budgetary/etc. issues (keeping the best efforts on key events such as the beginning/ending, important story-changing elements, etc.), and that goes with other anime I've seen (and beyond it). Still, TAG is some of the better (if not best) TV animation I've seen for that period. It's been a while, but I've seen a few made around that '99-'00 period some time ago in my life, and TAG seems to have that feel to me.

Maybe the audio (and how it deeply contrasts with prior Gundam shows with their old-school '60s-'70s-ish audio library) has an effect on me, or that I'm generally biased in favor of TAG, maybe I haven't seen enough anime (even amongst Gundam)... *shrug* But regardless of those factors that can water down my viewpoint, I still think the best of TAG's TV animation can even be up there with the immediately-prior EW OVA.

Regardless of how right or wrong I am in the world of opinions on that, I think one could better conclude to an opinion like that (or something else) if they had seen much more than little snippets of a TV anime, let alone the whole thing. After all, thanks to video-playing/editing software, anyone can take a frame out of context and bill an anime as having the worst animation ever. Not unlike how you can pause during a video of someone talking and it looks like that person is making a weird face at you. Or something. *shrug*
I think you misunderstood. From this trailer, I said "neither negative or positive" regarding the *look/vibe* of Turn-A Gundam. I am merely reminded in an *aesthetic sense* of Char's Counterattack or Victory Gundam from the tiny sample of what I've seen much more so than G-Gundam, Gundam Wing, or Gundam X--though there are visual techniques I can see scattered in from those, as well. (An older look is not a bad thing; there are a great deal of anime in the past that are better than modern stuff, IMO). And my earlier statement has nothing to do with "quality," as I can already see excellent quality in Turn-A. Also, to get this out of the way, I'm not bashing or even referring to the mecha designs, which I have always found intriguing.

As for contemporaries Sunrise's own Cowboy Bebop, Gasaraki, Outlaw Star, and The Big-O Season 1 are all from around the general TV anime time of Turn-A, and all of those have a more modern look/aesthetic (even the Big-O despite its setting, I think), whereas Turn-A seems to be a throwback to the later Tomino years of Gundam (rightfully so) and the mid/late 80's work of Miyazaki/Ghibli. (Then again, 1999's Now and Then, Here and There also struck me as a throwback aesthetically). None of that is a put down, it's merely a neutral impression. When I get to see more, I can see if that impression rings true or not. But again, even if it is, it's not a negative thing by any means. The lack of a dub is near tragic, though; it clearly deserves one. (I'll be crushed if Gundam X doesn't get a dub in the future).
mcred23 wrote:Unless the powers that be have completely flipped, and there has been no word on that, it should still be sub only.
LightningCount wrote:The second thing, that is a bit more jarring, is that it seems from looking at MAHQ and even this trailer to some degree, that Turn-A characters show a lot of "skin"...(more so than the usual Gundam) and it feels out of place and awkward, IMO. It seems to go beyond the usual "fan-service." Was all this really necessary? Can anyone comment to that? Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. :?
There is a bit more nudity than normal for a Gundam show in the first few episodes, but it's not gratuitous and IIRC nothing any more explicit than any other Gundam show (Meaning you might see a boob or a butt a few times :roll:). It's kind of hard to explain and also not give anything away, but it does have something to do with the story, and remember the setting of the show...

But really, it's nothing at all, unless of course the slightest bit of skin in anime is a problem for you, in which case nearly every Gundam series is a problem. :|
No, that's all right. Thanks for the clarification/info. You can't ask these questions without coming off as a prude? :roll: I just remember that Chris noted it in some of his reviews of the past, and it struck me as strange needing two or three episodes of bathing in a row right at the start. But as long as it fits the story and doesn't distract too much, I'll deal. Obviously, elements like this, if done right, can add a bit more realism to the living conditions of the world/characters. But whatever.
Last edited by LightningCount on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Siroh32

LightningCount wrote:I said "neither negative or positive" regarding the *look/vibe* of Turn-A Gundam. I am merely reminded in an *aesthetic sense* of Char's Counterattack or Victory Gundam from the tiny sample of what I've seen much more so than G-Gundam, Gundam Wing, or Gundam X--though there are visual techniques I can see scattered in from those, as well. (An older look is not a bad thing; there are a great deal of anime in the past that are better than modern stuff, IMO)
And I addressed that maybe reading between the lines and somehow concluding that you actually might've meant something negative despite mentioning "neither negative nor positive" (in the same way people can say, "I don't hate [fill-in-the-blank], buuut...") was probably due to having a hint of a defensive complex, and I'll say that it probably isn't the best thing in the world to do. Also, I think determining what you thought of the mecha designs from your post prior to my reply would've been beyond pushing, and it never crossed my mind to try and guess your opinion on that. In any case, I understand what you mean now.
LightningCount wrote:The lack of a dub is near tragic, though; it clearly deserves one. (I'll be crushed if Gundam X doesn't get a dub in the future).
I understand not everyone likes reading subtitles and there are those more open to dubs, and in some ways, I can get how they feel. But I would take reading subs over having Turn A Gundam (and Gundam X) dubbed any day, given how wonderful a job the original voice actors have done (which I believe can be judged even by a person who doesn't know the original language the anime/show/movie/etc. uses). I tend to fall in the category of wincing at the performances of English-dubbed non-North American animation and games, and from briefly looking at YT videos of Gundam Musou 3 in English, I feel justified in continuing my opinion, so we'll just have to agree to disagree here. *shrug*
LightningCount wrote:I just remember that Chris noted it in some of his reviews of the past, and it struck me as strange needing two or three episodes of bathing in a row right at the start. But as long as it fits the story and doesn't distract too much, I'll deal. Obviously, elements like this, if done right, can add a bit more realism to the living conditions of the world/characters. But whatever.
Well, if you feel a bit turned off by it, you'll only have to swallow through it up to episode 4's recap of episode 3, with a a little bit of it episode 36, and you can always skip (the latter half of) the end credits and the episode 16 clip show. Interestingly, the first compilation movie cuts some of it out and edits the remaining scenes with Loran and Sochie so they're wearing undergarments. Too bad the compilation movies cut and mash scenes too much to enjoy the story, in my view. *shrug*