Macross Kit suggestions

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
phillosmaster

Macross Kit suggestions

Was looking around on Hobbylink Japan at VF kits, and I realized that I had almost no knowledge on any of them. The frontier kits looked really nice. I was thinking about picking up a VF-1 and perhaps a VF-25 kit, but I couldn't decide which ones to get.

I need some guidance to steer my purchase. Can anyone with more experience with Macross model kits give me some suggestions of kits that you've built that you think are awesome.

Also any advice in general on buying macross kits. I've primarily built gundam and SRWs kits in the past. Should I expect more or less the same experience with these kits?

I see stuff from Hasegawa and Wave, but the Bandai kits seem like the way to go. They appear to be the only kits that are transformable once completed.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Kokopelli

Re: Macross Kit suggestions

Hagesawa kits are the best. They understand that the best way to make a kit is to make it non-transformable so you don't have to compromise the design with a functional transformation system. The Bandai Destroids are also very good, the molds were purchased from another company and reissued by Bandai. I've also enjoyed the M7 2in1 kits. They're very cheap and you get 2 models out of them.
blind_dead_mcjones

steer clear of the 1/72 bandai kits, trust me when i say they aren't worth the headaches brought on by the transformation gimmick, they don't have much in the way of articulation either.
Flag Fighter for life!
phillosmaster

Thanks for the advice guys. That was precisely what I was wondering (whether the transformation caused issues with the model). I have a couple Bandai transforming gundam models and they all tend to have issues with poseability (and stability), which is a big turn off to me.

I think I'm going to go for a Hasegawa kit to start. The VF-1A/J/S Fighter Mode Valkyrie kit looks great.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.