What books are you reading?

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Vent Noir

Re: What books are you reading?

Gotten to the end of The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya... and with that, I think I'm officially past everything that's been animated, so I have no idea what subsequent books will involve.

Next up, Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
TheGundamMKII

I was burning through Terry Prachett's Discworld novels, but it's been a little while since I picked one up. The last one I read was The Fifth Elephant. One of my favorites by far. My all-time favorite has to be Monstrous Regiment.

I really should pick George R. R. Martin's big series back up. Back when I first started reading his novels, there was only the first 3 of his big series out. Now his Thrones series is up to; what, five or six volumes now?!?
Red Comet90

I've been reading lots of 40k novels recently. I've gone through the Dawn of War Omnibus, Ultramarines Omnibus, Space Wolves Omnibus 1, and I'm currently reading the first omnibus for Gaunt's Ghosts. Gaunt's Ghosts and the Space Wolves Omnibus have been the best reads so far. I would suggest them to anyone who likes the Warhammer 40k universe.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn
Vent Noir

Gotten to the end of Raised by Wolves. I haven't read much in the werewolf genre before, but I really enjoyed this. The main character, Brin, was very likeable, and I also liked the depiction of how a pack operates. The sequel, Trial by Fire, has gone up a few places on my to-read list.

Next up, though, is Ash by Malinda Lo.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
mcred23

I've had to put Inside the Third Reich aside for a bit. A combination of watching Turn A Gundam, Madden NFL 12, and a host of other things has heavily delayed my reading of it (I'm not even a hundred pages into it, although it has been interesting). On top of those things, I'm taking a Fantasy/Science Fiction Lit class this semester, and that's further pushed it aside. After about a half dozen short stories (Which I'm far to lazy to list at the moment :mrgreen:), I've started Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game for the class. I vaugely recall reading a short amount of it back in middle school, but never finished it for unknown reasons, and after hearing only good things about it, I'm looking foward to doing so now...
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Vent Noir

Got to the end of Ash. Really good read, although I wish it could have been longer (the ending in particular felt rushed). I'll be reading Malinda Lo's next book, Huntress, soon. Next up, though, is Sword and Sorceress XXIII.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

mcred23

I finished Ender's Game, and my first thought is that I wished I'd actually read the whole thing way back when. It more than lived up to its reputation, although now it has me wanting to read the sequels, which I'll probably do at some point after this semester when I have more time for them (Thus adding to my already lengthy list of books I want to read :roll:).

In the meantime, until I have more serious school related readings, I'll continue nipping away at Inside the Third Reich.

Vent Noir

Gotten to the end of Sword and Sorceress XXIII. Surprisingly for a short story anthology, no stories I really disliked. Most I liked, a few I didn't care for, but nothing that I found really off-putting. So I'd have to say it's a pretty damn good one.

Next up, Huntress by Malinda Lo. It's set in the same world as Ash, but several centuries earlier.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

mcred23

School readings came up again. This time, it's William Gibson's Neuromancer. I've only heard a ferw scattered things about it, not really enough to know what to expect, and I'm only a couple of pages into it at the moment and haven't gotten too much of a feel for it either...

Edit the next day: Well, I spent most of today reading Neuromancer, which was pretty interesting. I enjoyed it, but it's probably something I'd have to read a second time at some point to get a better feel for, due a combination of all the things in the book (Setting and technology and whatnot), and the fact that I went through it a bit faster than I expected/planned to. :roll:

Vent Noir

Finished Huntress. Liked the characters, although the story's pacing felt weird. Very front-heavy, and the climax and ending felt rushed.

Next up is The Empress Sword by Paulette Jaxton, although I'm not going to start on that right away.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

Fritz Ashlyn

I'm working my way through the 20th Anniversary Edition of Heir to the Empire when I have the time. Timothy Zahn, his editor, and others have provided interesting footnotes sprinkled through it. It's interesting to see the "state of Star Wars" circa 1989 as far as the EU goes through the author's comments.
TftF Wiki
TftF One Shots
RPG Trinary: Ortega
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Fritz Ashlyn

Hey! why don't you swing on down to the RPG section? Tales from the Frontlines: The AEUG running strong since 2006!
mcred23

I spent most of today reading Tolkien's The Hobbit for school. Short version of events, I really didn't care for it. It never really interested me. I saw enough parts of the movies (At least from the first two, maybe the third as well) to dislike them and the world in general, and the more basic fantasy elements of that world have never been something I've been into, but I still went into it hoping it would at least be entertaining. The book had some moments, but it never really held me for long, and I found the style of parts of it a bit odd.

The next thing I have to read for class is Edwin A. Abbott's Flatland. It's short, but I've been warned that it's not an easy read and I don't get along well with math, so I haven't got a clue how the hell reading this thing will go. :roll:

Vent Noir

Got to the end of The Empress Sword. Enjoyable overall, although at times it seemed the author was trying a little two hard to point out how smart she was for playing with fairytale cliches. The characters (particularly Aster) were still likeable and engaging, though.

Up next, Sword and Sorceress XXIV.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

mcred23

After considerable stalling, I finished Flatland. It was interesting in its odd way, and the math wasn't as bad as I was led to believe, but there was enough of it, combined with the story being a bit repetitive at points, that I didn't really enjoy it.

Next up on the assigned readings is Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. From what little I've been told about it, and gathered from the back cover and whatnot, it looks like it will at least be more entertaining...

APendragon

At the moment I'm kind of going back and forth between reading the second book in A Song of Ice and Fire, and reading Mists of Avalon.

Though I also need to re-read Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce before the third book in the series comes out here soon...
G-Slayer
Location: In the fridge, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw.

Cause I wanted to find out what all the buzz was about, I picked up Rhonda Byrnes' The Secret. Not being the type who's into self-help books, I rejected Byrnes' belief system after the first few pages and now I find myself getting more and more pissed the further I go.
"That's it! I'll never Gundam the pilot again, Bright!"--Amuro Ray

My YouTube Channel!

My Photobucket Album!

My Gunpla Blog!
Sleepneeded127

just finished Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. it was a very fun twist on American History. didn't expect it to be as good as it was and still stay reasonably true to history. the author managed to blend the real events and the fictional ones so it seemed possible that this could have happened without interfering with known facts of his life. it is well enough researched that it would read like any other book about Lincoln if that vampires were removed.
8.5/10
Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.
mcred23

Finished up Good Omens a little while ago. It was very entertaining, with a lot of silly little humor and a really well done story... and that's pretty much all I can think of to say about it at the moment. :mrgreen:

Well, without any novels on track for school for a while, I'm back to attempting to nip at Inside the Third Reich (Although the NFL and video games continue to make it an uphill battle at this time of the year :roll:).

Antares

I have a massive omnibus of zombie-fiction under works, trying to live down to possibility that the movie version of Max Brook's World War Z will be actually gutted. It also goes well with The Walking Dead S2.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Red Comet90

I just recently finished the 2nd Omnibus of the Space Wolves from the Warhammer 40k universe. The most frustrating part of the Omnibus is that the original author does not write all 3 books in the omnibus. If he had written the 5th and 6th novels the series would have been even better than it already is.

With that finished I started up the 4th Ultramarines called the Killing Ground. It picks up right where the 3rd novel ended. So far its strange, but its been a good read. I can only hope the twists and turns aren't too cheesy by the time the novel is over.
The proof of our might will forever be etched in your minds.

-- Haman Karn