Ep. 012: The Dresden Files

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 012: The Dresden Files

Chaos Theater Ep. 012 - "The Dresden Files"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 104 mins, 28 sec. (1:44:28) 47.9 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:24:51

02. Discussion: "The Dresden Files"
Runtime: 0:25:21 - 1:23:27

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:24:00 - 1:43:54

No guests! No supersized episodes! We finally get back down to our regular length as Pedro and I fly solo on a topic that isn't ginormous. We start off with the usual What We've Been Up To, following by Slaying the Sacred Cow of the idea that all bloggers must be journalists. We then dive into a discussion of Jim Butcher's fantasy detective noir series, The Dresden Files. Please be aware that there are deep spoilers for the entire series, including the latest novel, Ghost Story. We cap off the segment with a brief discussion of the ill-fated TV series before answering your questions in the Mailbag. Next time, we're going 88 MPH with a discussion of Back to the Future.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Destiny" from Lunar Legend Tsukihime: Moonlit Archives by Toshiyuki Omori
"Justice" from Lunar Legend Tsukihime: Moonlit Archives by Toshiyuki Omori

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Episode 012: The Dresden Files

I see you used tracks from the Tsukihime anime sound track. Nice choice.

Makes me think of a potential sacred cow to slay: Pretending things don't exist.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I see you used tracks from the Tsukihime anime sound track. Nice choice.

Makes me think of a potential sacred cow to slay: Pretending things don't exist.
Clearly it doesn't exist. What you see there is a typo. Yeah, that's it....
Saber

Chris wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:I see you used tracks from the Tsukihime anime sound track. Nice choice.

Clearly it doesn't exist. What you see there is a typo. Yeah, that's it....
Well, it would be awesome if there ever was a Tsukihime anime, wouldn't it? Perhaps done by ufotable. Oh yes. Speaking of which, is a TYPE-MOON episode out of the question? I'd certainly volunteer to be on it.

But I agree, that's some nice music you chose there, who of you two thought of using it?

---

Gotta hand it to you guys though, you once again managed to make an episode about something I've never heard of before and made it interesting to listen to for me (unlike Doctor Who). I might seek out one of these books, but right now, my backlog of stuff is just too big. Looking forward to the next episode.
Mu La Flaga

Ok so I can't say much on Dresden files as never been in to that series.
Sounds kind of interesting, but not quite enough unfortunately.

As for mailbag answers, well Retro Gamer is the only one I get and it's an indepent magazine from UK I get, since it's imported over here.

I used to sometimes read more gaming magazines.
I just like to get Retro Gamer, because it remminds you of he old stuff or new remakes coming out and what to keep an eye out for.

All that stuff.

As for games plan to hunt down, Chris, you don't have any your really looking on older systems?

Also I really look forward to next episode, yay a Back to the Future Episode.

Great Scott!
hotlimit

LOL what the heck are you guys talking about?

Regarding that tasty sacred cow, I think I've already thrown my opinion out there on this, but I believe these people don't think they have a choice. Like they really think they have to go to their gaming blogs or whatever, or else they'll be behind on everything. It's an ill effect of putting way too much stake in your 'online life', but Pedro pretty much summed that up nicely.
Chris
Administrator

Saber wrote:Speaking of which, is a TYPE-MOON episode out of the question? I'd certainly volunteer to be on it.

But I agree, that's some nice music you chose there, who of you two thought of using it?
A Kara no Kyoukai episode is a distinct possibility, but it's not on the schedule for this year. As for the music, Pedro chooses whatever he wants for the breaks when he's editing.
Mu La Flaga wrote:As for games plan to hunt down, Chris, you don't have any your really looking on older systems?
No. As I believe I stated in the episode, I don't have any older systems, aside from a Dreamcast that I already have tons of games for. If I want old games, I'm limited to downloadable versions (if they exist) for Virtual Console and PSN.
Mu La Flaga

Ok then, but it does kind of limit your selection of games sometimes.
Since not every single game gets ported to virtual console.

So that is why I have my SNES still.
Obviously PS1 would be pretty redundant to have as well as a PS2.

So there are things like that.

Oh and to answer your question.
WHY I had Shaq-Fu is simple, it was in my earlier days of starting to hunt down games I wanted to get and I would try them and if there were games I did not like.
I would sell them or get rid of them, so Shaq-Fu ended up that way.

I hadn't played it in years since that one time I rented it when I was MUCH younger.
Destiny_Gundam

Whenever I want to play an older game I just go to my good friend Roger Omar Michaels.

Yeah... that's it...
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Saber

Chris wrote: A Kara no Kyoukai episode is a distinct possibility, but it's not on the schedule for this year.
Interesting. I'll be sure to contact you guys once that's an upcoming topic.
hotlimit

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Whenever I want to play an older game I just go to my good friend Roger Omar Michaels.

Yeah... that's it...
Oh, but you know there are anal people who want to play games on their original console, preferably with a controller covered in potato-chip grease and mountain dew stains. These old men and their nostalgia!

But no, really, sometimes it's just plain better to play on a console than sitting in front of your computer. I'd play Chrono Trigger all day on the DS, but make me play on an emulator, and UGHHHH.... I'd almost rather read the comments section of a local newspaper's website!
snoops619

Thanks as always guys. Made work bearable.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

One of my friends recommended Dresden Files. So it sounds like the books are the way to go rather than the show? Supernatural sounds a lot better than the TV Dresden.

Maybe I wasn't listening, though, but is Harry a wizard from the get-go or becomes one later?

I was subscribed to PSM back in the day. It had a sense of humor and really great comics and artwork done by Adam Warren who was mentioned (I think on Gundamn!) some episodes ago. He has a dA account that has some nice stuff on there. Of course, PSM was absorbed by the official playstation magazine some years ago and since then I think gaming magazines are just boring in general. They focus too much on mainstream games and it really beats a dead horse.

About last episode's Sacred Cow segment and how people only have the Hollywood concept of things, and guns specifically, have you guys seen the John Woo/Chow Yun Fat movie Hard Boiled? I swear to god, Chow Yun Fat has a *Magic Shotgun* that can obliterate a vehicle and 10 guys in a single shot. It's like each and every one of the pellets has the explosive power of a hand grenade, haha. It's kind of a bad/boring movie, of course, but the action scenes are worth the watch if you want to see just how incredibly ridiculous they are.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Mekton GM

I didnt mean to kill your intrest in the Empire books Chris. Personnaly I recomend atleast reading the first novel were like i said it was mostly nutral. I think the lose of objective story telling came from the results of the 2008 election but thats me speculating
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
The Fowl Sorcerous

Seraphic wrote:Maybe I wasn't listening, though, but is Harry a wizard from the get-go or becomes one later?
He's a wizard from the get go (though it doesn't say so outright till about 5 pages into the first book as he has an annoyed conversation with his new mailman), he just gets to be a much better wizard as it goes on.

Something worth mentioning to everyone who hasn't read it and wasn't totally sold on the books from the cast the guys kind of glossed over the awesomeness of a polka-powered zombie t-rex and other crazy stunts Harry pulls off.
[[lorem ipsum]]
gundamtype0

You guys got me to start reading the Dresden Files. Just finished book one in fact. I'm really getting into it. Thanks for the recommendation!
FordR

The Dresden files has been a very off and on reading for me. I don't mean that in the traditional sense, what I usually do is read three or four of the books at one time, wait a long time doing other things (months-years) and read another set, repeat process.

Good to know I'll have quite a few new developments to look forward to in my next session of reading it.

I also actually did watch the tv series as well, sort of. It was on hulu at one point and time and I was bored and wanted entertainment. I liked it, was entertaining/enjoyable. Probably because I only recall it having about 6-8 of the 12 episodes on there, probably explaining why some of the nonsense things Chris recanted occurring I don't remember at all, thus giving me a better experience.
AKA- TheTrueYup
animalia

what about the opposite extreme of the bias issue aka FOX "news"?

a quote from John Lawton back in 1995 "The irony of the Information Age is that is has given new respectability to uninformed opinion."
bertman4

Re: Ep. 012: The Dresden Files

I'm on Small Favors. I'm not reading it but actually listening to the excellent audiobooks narrated by James Marsters (played Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Braniac on Smallville). He reads all the books except Ghost Story which was read by another Smallville alumnus John Glover (Lionel Luthor). I highly recommend them and you can get them all at Audible.