AGX-05 Cybuster Origin

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
steeltamashii

AGX-05 Cybuster Origin

Something that has been bugging me for the longest time. Does anyone know any details about the origin of the AGX-05 Cybuster (the one in Divine Wars and the Inspector), is it some kind of "god robot" or was it built by someone? Also how did Masaki get to piloting it? The Cybuster is shrouded in mystery in alot of cases (a real shame since it's my favorite in SRW), and i wanted to know if any of this information was released.

Mod Edit (Red): Please don't dig up a thread from 2007 to ask a question, just start a new one...
My personal blog: gusteeltamashii.tumblr.com
Watch Gamers Unrated LIVE on Wednesdays @ 3PM Eastern Time at:
www.royalcrownstudios.com/radio!
Also watch past episodes on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/user/GamersUnratedShow
And follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/gamersunrated
I am a HUcast. To know what you are take the quiz here.
Wingnut

Re: AGX-05 Cybuster Origin

I'm not sure of the exact origins, but like any other mech, the Cybuster was made by people and blessed by the spirit of wind or something. All of which would be explained in the SRW Gaiden game Lord of the Elemental. Which is in japanese only so you'd have to check an FAQ or something to find out the exact origin.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Arsarcana

First off, the AGX designation is a misnomer since it wasn't made or operated by the Arrogators. Second, there is an entire game based on Masaki's story called Masou Kishin: The Lord of Elementals. It was recently remade for the DS and is divided into two halves. In the Classic timeline, the two halves serve as bookends to the series with Part 1 taking place before SRW 2 and Part 2 taking place after F Final. The games aren't explicitly contradicted by anything in Alphaverse either. The remake was designed to enhance its connections to OGverse so it's canon to that one as well.

There's also SRW EX from the Classic timeline, which might get told in the upcoming 2nd Original Generation and which takes place between the two halves of LotE. Sadly neither game has been translated officially or otherwise, though a fan translation of LotE has been in progress for years.

To briefly summarise, there's a world called La Gias inside the Earth, connected to the surface world by magical gates. The world has both advanced technology and magic. The Holy Kingdom of Langran fused these in the creation of Masouki (literally, magic-garbed machine) built in preparation for a prophecied threat. Masouki are blessed by the spirits of La Gias, which grant them their power. Certain Masouki are blessed by particularly high-ranking sprits and are known as Masoukishin (magic-garbed machine god). There are four Masoukishin built by Langran (one per classic element) and their pilots are chosen by the machines themselves and are considered the Herald of that spirit and element. Cybuster is the Masoukishin of Wind.

As a side-note, to pilot a Masouki you need Prana and due to centuries of peace, the inhabitants of La Gias don't generally have the kind of Prana needed to use the things effectively, with notable exceptions. People on the surface have more 'violent Prana' as it were so Langran has taken to nabbing surface-dwellers and recruiting them as pilots. LotE starts when Masaki is first summoned to La Gias in this fashion.
Imperial

It's Bootleg Dunbine, from the magical world of Bootleg Byston Well--or so the rumor mill says.

Allegedly, Banpresto wanted to add Aura Battler Dunbine to the cast of Super Robot Wars 2, but they couldn't hammer out the licensing issues in time. So they fell back on their very first Banpresto originals as thinly veiled Dunbine stand-ins.

As Arsarcana pointed out, the Cybuster is a magical machine created by the Kingdom of Langran to protect themselves from the likes of the rival kingdom of Shutedonias and the malicious Cult of Volkruss, which is dedicated to reviving a primordial god of destruction. The Cybuster is one of four supremely powerful god-machines--perhaps even the strongest of them all.

We get some insight into Bootleg Byston Well/La Gias during Super Robot Wars EX, which involves the heroes of various robot franchises getting sucked into a war between Langran and Shutedonias. It comes back in a big way for Lord of the Elemental video game, which is one part prequel explaining Masaki's appearance in La Gias and the development of his rivalry with Shuu Shirakawa, a La Gias native. (Masaki is actually an Earthling from Japan, but he comes to see La Gias as his home.) The other part of LotE is a sequel to the Classic Timeline, which wraps up the entire Masaki-Shuu-Volkruss subplot once and for all.

It's also worth noting that the Cybuster doesn't have a serial number of its own. It earned the "AGX-05" tag in the Super Robot Wars Alpha series when the Earth Federation mistook it for an Aerogater robot, which isn't so surprising. The Federation knows nothing of La Gias. They simply saw a robot of alien origin and assumed the worst.
This space for rent
Kuruni

A little additional info. Unlike the rest of Masouki, the four Elemental Lords (Masoukishin) are semi-sentient and only selected pilots (by the spirits) can move them. This flaw (from military's POV anyway) lead to development of the Chomasouki in EX.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Arsarcana

Chou Masouki (n): In the language of La Gias, 'Boss Unit'. :lol:

Speaking of which, if the EX storyline shows up in 2nd OG (or anywhere) there are two things I'm hoping to see. First, I hope they'll finally animate the remote weapons that Eulid is supposed to be carrying but they've never bothered to show in gameplay. Second, I hope we see Xenia go gaga over the Huckebeins and get the idea for the Duraxyll from them, for the meta reference.
steeltamashii

Thanks for all of the info, it was very helpful and greatly appreciated! I do have a few more questions though:

1. Would the story in LoTE make the Ken Ando plot from the Cybuster Tokyo 2040 anime non-canon, or are these Cybusters two different robots?
2. What are the other Masou Kishin and have they made any appearances in any of the SRW games so far?
Imperial

steeltamashii wrote:Thanks for all of the info, it was very helpful and greatly appreciated! I do have a few more questions though:

1. Would the story in LoTE make the Ken Ando plot from the Cybuster Tokyo 2040 anime non-canon, or are these Cybusters two different robots?
2. What are the other Masou Kishin and have they made any appearances in any of the SRW games so far?
1. Separate continuity. The animated series has only the loosest of ties to the source material. The animated Cybuster has no bearing on the video game Cybuster. (Not that it has ever kept the fanboys from bizarre, baseless speculation that tries to mash everything together)

2. Granveil/Grandvale, the Masoukishin of Fire
Goddess/Gaddeath, the Masoukishin of Water
Zamzeed/Zamjeed, the Masoukishin of Earth

They all debuted in Super Robot Wars EX, although their chronological first appearance was in the first half of LotE. They went on to appear in Super Robot Wars 4, which was in turn remade into Super Robot Wars F and F Final. Their final showing was Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden.

There are actually profiles for all four of the Masoukishin and their lesser "cousins" in MAHQ's mech a profiles.
This space for rent
Kuruni

Another bit of info, Cybuster anime somehow replace Granveil with Jeifer as Masoukishin of fire.

The four Masoukishin also have their copies appear in PS1's Shin Masoukishin Panzer Warfare, which take place in far future.
Spoiler
What left of original Cybuster at that time is its arm, which become relic that people use to studied and build their own Masouki.
Think of the game as G-Savior, you forget it and not really loss anything...except this version of Cybuster make brief appearance in SRW Z during Ley Buster's animation.
Arsarcana

And for real fun and evidence of how many people realized the potential inherent in the Bootleg Byston Well idea, there's also Seireiki Rayblade. It's what happened when Winkysoft (who developed LotE) decided they wanted to make their own version of the Masoukishin story. It plays similarly and is full of familiar faces with the names changed but it doesn't have any actual connection to any SRW universe. It's also got a rather interesting addition in the form of a dating sim mode* that determines the ending. They've been making noises (still are in fact) about a sequel game and/or an anime for years but nothing has ever come of it.

* Thanks to Ryune being the only character to show up in a 'main' OG game or adaptation so far, you can't tell but Masaki can collect would-be girlfriends with the best of them and not-Masaki of Rayblade is the same.
neolordmaxwell

The connections between Panzer Warfare and SRW Z are fan-theory, only. Whatever Akasim and Shurouga's connection to Lord of Elemental casts there is, it certainly hasn't been confirmed.

Let's try to keep fan-theories out of this, can we?
Gundam Models, Reviews, and more at http://www.gundamscope.com
Kuruni

Well, I just say it appear. No point for explanation why it appear since we have none :mrgreen: .

BTW, a little off-topic, but here's mecha page for Rayblade in case you're curious.
Arsarcana

Actually, it's kinda sad how Winkysoft's homepage consists entirely of a link to their Rayblade site and then just spinoffs of Rayblade which will never be made. After Terada openly shot down the 'Winkysoft is preventing us from using the LotE cast bar the Masaki/Shuu/Ryune trio' fan theory, you start to feel a bit more sympathetic about their lack of output.

Oh yeah, Rayblade seems to be up on PSN for anyone who wants to check it out but sadly it's the PSX version (well, yeah...) which means it doesn't have the alternate ending for that one character.
neolordmaxwell

Even so, claiming a few fuzzy split-second images is anything so specific is a pretty big stretch. Yes, it's clear some version of Cybaster appears, along with Granzon, what looks like Masaki, and some other things, but to say definitively 'this is x so and so version of Cybaster' is indulging too much in fan speculation. Especially when you consider that that specific design was recently re-used in The Inspector for the Einst-Cybaster. It could mean anything or nothing.
Gundam Models, Reviews, and more at http://www.gundamscope.com
nacho-wan

Imperial wrote: 2. Granveil/Grandvale, the Masoukishin of Fire
I don't know if I'm getting out of topic, but every now and then I heard people telling that the Granzon is the fifth element -the void- which explains its inmense power -such that it is the final boss in some of the older SRW.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
steeltamashii

nacho-wan wrote:
Imperial wrote: 2. Granveil/Grandvale, the Masoukishin of Fire
I don't know if I'm getting out of topic, but every now and then I heard people telling that the Granzon is the fifth element -the void- which explains its inmense power -such that it is the final boss in some of the older SRW.
But wasn't the Granzon made by EOTI/DC along with the Valsion? I thought Masou Kishin could only be made by the La Gias kingdom...

Anyway, thanks for the plug to the Rayblade mech page, and i'll have to get the game off of PSN (if it's available). I'm guessing since it's an import the one on PSN isn't translated, so i'll have to look for a Game FAQ
Arsarcana

Yeah, it's in Japanese.

As for Granzon, yes it was made by the Divine Crusaders and incorporates EOT. However, it also incorporates magic/technology from La Gias, which comes from the fact that its designer and operator Shuu Shirakawa is from there. It's not a Masoukishin and its immense power has nothing to do with it being some kind of non-existent fifth element (technically it has no element, along with the Valsione R, all the Cult of Volkruss machines, some of the more technologically-oriented Chou Masouki and a few other units) but it is highly relevant to the Masoukishin plot for rather spoiler-y reasons.
nacho-wan

Arsarcana wrote:Yeah, it's in Japanese.

As for Granzon, yes it was made by the Divine Crusaders and incorporates EOT. However, it also incorporates magic/technology from La Gias, which comes from the fact that its designer and operator Shuu Shirakawa is from there. It's not a Masoukishin and its immense power has nothing to do with it being some kind of non-existent fifth element (technically it has no element, along with the Valsione R, all the Cult of Volkruss machines, some of the more technologically-oriented Chou Masouki and a few other units) but it is highly relevant to the Masoukishin plot for rather spoiler-y reasons.

The fifth element thing is mostly figurative rather than practica. After all, Shuu and the DC are people of science and not magic? But then lossly quoting Sandman from Gravion, does we really understand what is gravity, its source and its true nature?
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Arsarcana

One might assume that gravitons aren't merely hypothetical in the various SRW universes since they've been weaponized by the Huckebein series and, well, the Granzon.

If you were really trying to find a fifth figurative element in the LotE plot, it wouldn't be gravity in any case. 'Spirit' maybe, since some variety of the word crops up in most of the Volkruss machines. Also, like I said the Granzon isn't just a technological machine.
steeltamashii

It also looks like they made a Dreamcast port of Seireiki Rayblade as well, i still have mine, so i might buy that one.

However got another question (2 actually):

Does the Granzon require Prana to pilot, (since it is part magical machine, and the Masoukishin require Prana) and if they do, how did Shuu Shirakawa, a native, acquire the Prana required to pilot it? OR is this answered in any of the LoTE games? (If it is, don't tell me)

Also, for the Masoukishin, does each machine require a different kind of Prana, or can each be piloted by different people? (Example: Could Masaki pilot the Granvale, or could Tootie pilot the Cybuster?)