Ep. 011: Doctor Who

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 011: Doctor Who

Chaos Theater Ep. 011 - "Doctor Who"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 137 mins, 40 sec. (2:17:40) 63.1 MB

Special Guest Hosts: Dale Rausch (opening), Angel De Fana (opening and Doctor Who)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow" and "Dale's Comic-Con report"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:28:44

02. Discussion: "Doctor Who"
Runtime: 0:29:12 - 1:54:02

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:54:27 - 2:14:43

The Doctor is in! Ok, last episode I said that we wouldn't be having such long episodes again in the near future, but I lied! I didn't intend to, but it sort of happens when covering a sci-fi franchise that's almost 50 years old. In a double-packed opening, Dale Rausch joins us to discuss his Doctor Who and Torchwood experiences at Comic-Con. We also slay the sacred cow of assumed political correctness, mainly in regards to black Spider-Man. For our main discussion, Angel De Fana helps us delve into the wide world of Doctor Who, discussing doctors both past and present. Of course, we close the episode with your questions from the Mailbag (and please send more!). Next time, we jump into the fantasy-noir world of Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Doctor Who Opening Credits (season 4)" from Doctor Who by Murray Gold
"The Daleks" from Doctor Who by Murray Gold
"My Angel Put the Devil in Me" from Doctor Who by Murray Gold
"The Rueful Fate of Donna Noble" from Doctor Who by Murray Gold

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Hyakushiki

Re: Episode 011: Doctor Who

Dale's Comic Con experience reminded me of this year's Otakon with all the Doctor Who cosplay especially the life size Dalek, the scale model of the TARDIS interior, and awesomeness of DJ Doctor!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t212 ... C01212.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t212 ... C01293.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t212 ... C01271.jpg

DJ Doctor in action
http://youtu.be/pMnKiL5ocNQ

I started with classic Doctor Who, my first doctor was Tom Baker. I used to watch it on a PBS affiliate each Saturday afternoon, then in my high school years started watching again when it re-aired on Saturday nights at midnight along with Red Dwarf.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
Mu La Flaga

Ok where to start.

The sacred cow first off, yeah that whole thing is rather silly some people do get so worked up over that idea for Ultimate Spiderman.

I've been ok with the idea myself, the Ultimate timeline is different from the mainstream Marvel universe, so it's fine to have some updates on old characters.

So as for Dr Who, I've never been fully on in to it, I have caught occassional episodes of the more recent series, such as that series finale with the Daleks vs Cybermen and all that fun stuff.

As for the mailbag I don't fully agree with Chris'es opinion but I agree with it mostly.
Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat games are examples of giving games trying to have a storyline.
Like what the motivation is for this character being involved and all of that sort of thing.
I like to see how some charaters change or gorw over time anyway.

As for Black and White Pokemon games, I have barely any interest in them.
Then again some people like me went for the Silver and Gold remakes partly on nostalgia.
Not always a contributing factor for some people with Pokemon games though.

Don't have much else to add and I missed out on mailbag entries last time in Chaos Theatre and Gundamn.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayone73

As I mentioned before in addition to the long list of press appointments Matt & Karen had at comiccon, the Nerdist Podcast held a special live recording in downtown San Diego with Matt & Karen as both guests and at the end, yes the Doctor and his companion served burritos to everyone who attended the recording and I got mine personally from Karen :)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6026/597 ... 4acb_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6134/597 ... b3c8_z.jpg

tons of fans were lining up for the private events, lots of shirts:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6005/597 ... 64c7_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6013/598 ... 8951_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6004/597 ... 6f2f_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6129/598 ... dd0f_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6125/597 ... ea6f_z.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6122/597 ... b2f5_z.jpg
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Kilik users! *bro fist* My favorite move is the knee-smash-to-ball-smash. The knee-smash-to-shovel-throw is also acceptable. Sometimes it's nice to use that move and watch a lady opponent straddle the pole, lol.

Back in SC2, my friend was a Link user and he and my Kilik would duel with unlimited time. Link is a cheap bastard!

Not to gripe because the listener can piece it together from the discussion, but you guys never explicitly stated what kind of show Doctor Who is. As far as I can tell, just a sci-fi show where anything sci-fi can happen?? It would have helped also if you guys had explained the continuity and this "regeneration" bit about the Doctor.

Anyway, good episode. I'm also glad to see the audio issues of the past are gone. =o
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Hyakushiki

Basically, each time a Time Lord dies their body completely renews itself turning them into a completely different person both physically and mentally but retaining the memories of each of their previous incarnations. Time Lords can sometime choose their appearance or just let it happen at random like The Doctor. A Time Lord has at least 12 regenerations and currently The Doctor is on his 11th and he has burned through them pretty fast, though he can live a very long time through each regeneration.

As for continuity, since The Doctors adventures take him literally to any place in space and in the universe and are mostly one off stories, you can jump in at virtually at any point and pick up what's going down without much difficulty.

If you want a excellent primer to the world of Doctor Who, watch this. SF Debris' reviews of both the classic and modern eras of the series, especially his coverage of the lost episodes.

Just remember the series mostly SCIENCE Fiction so don't take it too seriously because the show certainly doesn't, but it's well written most of the time and really fun to watch which is the point. The important thing is the journey not the destination which is what The Doctor is all about!
kayone73

I grew up when the Tom Baker era eps were airing on PBS, I watched them occasionally but didn't really latch onto the show like I did ST:TOS or other similar sci-fi shows. It was just too 'british' for me to appreciate, and the look was really low budget with a feel of 'sci fi masterpiece theatre' basically looking like stage productions of BBC shakespeare. Also what really irritated me about pre-RTD Doctor Who is that annoying way they film indoor studio scenes and outdoor scenes totally different. Outdoor scenes had the look of grainy film and indoor scenes look like they were shot on video or typical PBS indoor stuff. I think all BBC tv did this in that era and I never understood why. I alwats found it visually jarring.
hotlimit

Hyakushiki wrote: If you want a excellent primer to the world of Doctor Who, watch this. SF Debris' reviews of both the classic and modern eras of the series, especially his coverage of the lost episodes.
Thanks for that link, I had a similar problem to Seraphic in that I seriously had no idea what the conversation was about, other than that it was an extremely long show with multiple numbered characters. I'd definitely recommend watching that video before listening to the Chaos Theater discussion.
Mu La Flaga

Seraphic wrote:Kilik users! *bro fist* My favorite move is the knee-smash-to-ball-smash. The knee-smash-to-shovel-throw is also acceptable. Sometimes it's nice to use that move and watch a lady opponent straddle the pole, lol.

Back in SC2, my friend was a Link user and he and my Kilik would duel with unlimited time. Link is a cheap bastard!

Anyway, good episode. I'm also glad to see the audio issues of the past are gone. =o
I kind of disagree with the audio bit as I noted in feedback thread, Pedro's volume was lower and not on the same level like episode 9 and 10.
Also Angel's audio seemed to play around at times.

As for SC well you know my choices are, if I tend to ever play range I tend to consider like Nightmare or Siegfried.
Never was a fan of Kilik overly much.

I would have thought Pedro would have had Amy or Talim on his list though at least.
hotlimit

The only SoulCalibur games I've spent a lot of time with are the original and 3 (Soul Edge as well, but I mainly played that at parties with other people). I'm not familiar with Amy or Talim, but for SC girls I like Tira the best (the SCIII green outfit one). She kind of reminds me of Harley Quin from the Batman series. Mitsurugi has been my main man in any SC I play, he's easy to use and just plain badass. If I want to get technical, I'll play a little Astaroth.

For those Pokemon games though, I'd really recommend the Gold/Silver generation remakes over Black/White. I know it's hard to convince someone that one Pokemon game (especially an older one) is better than another, but ask yourself these questions:
-Am I 10 years old, or am I going to be hunting down 10-year olds to trade Pokemans with to do all of the extra junk that was added in Black/White?
-Do I take my DS to the bar?
-Do I have so much free time on my hands that I'm going to explore every extra game system in Black/White, no matter how tedious?

Also remember that the Gold/Silver remakes were developed around the same time as Black/White, so it's not like you're jumping back a decade in terms of innovation.
Mu La Flaga

I should say at least as of 3 I really do prefer Zasalmel for range really.

He is very awesome with that voice and scythe of his.
Nightmare in 2 was pretty good and you could make him become his Siegfried look also as one of his alternate costumes.

Talim I just because she is fast and really dangerous in close range she easily rivals someone like Maxi.

Tira was interesting in her own way, if a little quirky.

And nice to know someone else would also recommend the Gold and Silver remakes over Black and White.

I've heard simillarly Gold and Silver just have something of an appeal more for some people.
Vent Noir

Good episode, guys. I would have liked it if you did more on Classic Who, but oh well.

I saw a bit of Classic Who growing up, but really got into it in the intervening period between the classic and new series. My favourite Doctor is Sylvester McCoy (the 7th) and one of the biggest disappointments was that the classic series ended up being cancelled before the "Cartmel Masterplan" could be implemented. I also liked Tom Baker (of course!) and, from nu-who, David Tennant.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Mekton GM

I dont know whats better 3 minutes of The Doctor and Danna going "WHAT!?" or everytime some sees The Silence they freak out turn away, forget what the saw, turn back and freak out all over again.
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
The Fowl Sorcerous

I am going to put on my cranky old man pants (and pull them the requisite level above the waist), and say that I liked it better when Doctors were cool old guys and not estrogen bait.

But seriously, I'm not all that big on Doctor Who, I mostly found it through my love of Douglas Adams so I will always prefer series 16 and 17 to anything else in the franchise and the more the series shifts away from those years in terms of tone and feel I like it less and less.
[[lorem ipsum]]
Koshernova

Terrific episode you guys! Just a few comments:

-Sacred cow: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS. Gods. The racism evident in the fan reaction to the new Spidey has been quite sickening. Thanks for the straight talk, which is a righteous slap in the face to racist paranoia. Great job.

-Who segment: Overall a fab segment, and I will agree that 'Dalek' is one of the best episodes of New Who (more on this in a bit). I was surprised you all loved Love and Monsters, which is an episode I didn't mind too much (and found some parts of it touching), but which has a *lot* of fan hate out there.

A comment on the Daleks: Now, I'm a huge card-carrying fan of the big salt shakers (FROM SPACE), so that's a disclaimer. You guys mention how the Daleks keep dying off and coming back, and I mean, yes, it's silly... but it's a Who tradition. Seriously! In the original series, almost every time the Daleks show up they are 'wiped out for good'... until the next time. Most of the time in the Classic series, they never even bothered explaining it at all, the Daleks are just *there*. In New Who, at least they provide mildly plausible explanations for the fact they keep coming back. I know, the explanations are silly... but the Daleks as a whole concept are silly, they're a throwback 1960s concept that the writers have to work quite hard to fit into a contemporary sci fi setting. Hence why they get old, as well: it's very hard to do interesting stories with them, I feel. 'Dalek' is, to me, pretty much the pinnacle of what you can do with them.

A comment on classic Who, also, is that there are indeed a LOT of good episodes. We just recorded an episode of the Queers with Beers podcast where we talked about Doctor Who (although we did it from a very different angle than you guys), and the show notes for that will include a few recommendations from yours truly. We also spent a good half of the segment talking about 'Dalek', since it was what got Avery and me into Doctor Who properly.

That's all I got, keep up the good work!
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
kayone73

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:
But seriously, I'm not all that big on Doctor Who, I mostly found it through my love of Douglas Adams so I will always prefer series 16 and 17 to anything else in the franchise and the more the series shifts away from those years in terms of tone and feel I like it less and less.
Which actor was the Doctor in those series? Too lazy to google it.
Hyakushiki

Those were part of the Tom Baker years.
snoops619

I saved my comments for this episode because I was 7/13 episodes into 9th's run for the first time (I know, shocking as I am English and had no excuse to not see it on T.V.).

I think David Tennent is my favourite Doctor. 9th has come close - I agree that the smug, football (not soccer -_-) hooligan attitude is a good fit for the Doctor, not to mention a stark contrast from the archaic, wise and patient others.
Maybe I only like Tennent more because I saw him on T.V. and had 3 series and probably another series worth of specials to get to know him. I just don't know.

Oh, and watching the 9th has made me lament the distinct lack of Cpt. Jack. It would be interesting to see how 11 and Jack played out. Still, I always have Torchwood.

Thanks for the Podcast as always guys. Keep it up!

P.S. I just watched "Let's Kill Hitler!", and guess what!? Blah blah blah spoiler spoiler...
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Concerning the sacred cow: Do you think there's going to come a time when Marvel and DC will just have to shelve the greater part of their superheroes, most of whom, as you pointed out, were created in the 40s, 50s and 60s, and say, "Guys, we just can't keep going over these guys' stories. We need an entirely new cadre of superheroes."
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Chris
Administrator

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Concerning the sacred cow: Do you think there's going to come a time when Marvel and DC will just have to shelve the greater part of their superheroes, most of whom, as you pointed out, were created in the 40s, 50s and 60s, and say, "Guys, we just can't keep going over these guys' stories. We need an entirely new cadre of superheroes."
No, I don't see that ever happening. DC is never going to shelve its most well-known characters, Batman and Superman, and you're never going to see Marvel shelve Spider-Man or the X-Men. These characters are their bread and butter and have become a part of American pop culture. Superheroes don't just exist in the vacuum of comic books anymore - they have to be multimedia powerhouses. Now you have both DC and Marvel being owned by major movie studios. The Avengers will be the first Disney-produced Marvel movie following their acquisition of Marvel, so they're just getting started. If you're going to create a new hero, he/she has the challenge of sustaining a successful comic line, a movie adaptation, cartoons and video games. That's an uphill challenge, perhaps a hill too high for a new hero, no matter how interesting and well-written. You're going to see endless reboots or reinventions along the lines of Marvel's Ultimate universe. Speaking of reboots, just look at Transformers. It's still popular and most of the series manage to be interesting, even though it's the same basic story of Autobots and Decepticons fighting on Earth led by Optimus Prime and Megatron.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his