Ep. 083 - Protoculture Overdose

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Re: Ep. 083 - Protoculture Overdose

hotlimit wrote:
hawk of endymion wrote: My absence was due to greater forces than you.
Uh oh, did the Emperor get out of jail? Does old-time news guy need to interview him?
The Emperor still in jail, but I was on location.
Mu La Flaga wrote:Probably that or the General summoned him.
That and he also wanted to avoid answering my question of hate himself. :P
What's your question? FYI, I don't read the mailbag in advance.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

You know what I'm just going to let you find out for yourself when you listen to the episode sooner or later, besides you need to recclaim Neos' News from Chris next time on Gundamn.

Besides wasn't anything special just an opinion question.
So listen to the episode, that way I don't spoilt the fun of finding out for yourself :P
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

Mu La Flaga wrote:You know what I'm just going to let you find out for yourself when you listen to the episode sooner or later, besides you need to recclaim Neos' News from Chris next time on Gundamn.

So listen to the episode, that way I don't spoilt the fun of finding out for yourself :P
Why am I going to listen to that episode with that imposter? Plus, there is no reclaiming the "News", Chris knows who the better journalist is.
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
Mu La Flaga

hawk of endymion wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:You know what I'm just going to let you find out for yourself when you listen to the episode sooner or later, besides you need to recclaim Neos' News from Chris next time on Gundamn.

Why am I going to listen to that episode with that imposter? Plus, there is no reclaiming the "News", Chris knows who the better journalist is.
Yeah "old time news guy" since apparently you mangle words regularly and get the nickname ill-informed should say how much Chris values you as the newscaster :P
Arbiter GUNDAM

Another fun episode! Nice to hear a female perspective for once. :)

Now, I've never seen Robotech and I really don't think I want to. After hearing that clip of that Robotech Minmay song, I don't really want to! :D
Now when I wanted to expand my mecha horizons, I remembered a clip I had seen of Robotech from Cartoon Network that I had seen a long time ago and I remembered that you had said that Robotech was made up of Macross, Mospeda and Southern Cross and somehow I knew (or maybe had seen it on MAHQ) that Macross was the one that had the planes in it. I guess I'm something a purist because I decided to watch Macross and as far as I'm concerned, Macross on it's own (and the other productions like DYRL and Frontier) are superior.

From Gundam remembrances, I, like many of us, was first exposed to Gundam with Wing. Although I now acknowledge that Wing is certainly not the best series (but neither is it the worst), it's still one of my favorite Gundams and I must have seen it about 8 times in the last 10 1/2 years. But I learned to expand my horizons. I also didn't care much for G Gundam at first (even though all I had to go on was the series description) and now that I've seen it, I think it's one of the best Gundams ever made.
Gundam is one of the few things that still keeps my interest in anime, so thank heaven for Gundam and Macross!

Oh and Neo, from the Destiny debate, my favorite line of yours: "I let you speak your nonsense, now let me speak the truth."
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Koshernova

Another fun episode, guys! Sad to miss Neo, but Hiroko was a great guest. And hey, more female mecha fans featured in the podcast, please ;)

On Robotech:

I was one of those children of the 80s who got into Robotech as their introduction to mecha anime. It was my older brother who insisted we watch it, saying stuff like 'you know it's a grown up show cos people actually die'. Never got any Robotech toys growing up, since Argentina had some draconian import laws in the 80s.

Then, in the mid-90s, Anime had its big debut in Argentina through Saint Seiya, etc etc, and Robotech re-aired. I gained a new appreciation for it, and loved the hell out of it, soon discovering its origin as a mash-up of three shows. I became a huge fan all over again, not in small part because the latin american dub was, and still is, INCREDIBLE. Seriously, the US dub of Robotech pales in its quality by comparison. Most of the VAs in the latin american dub went on to do terrific dub work on a whole bunch of stuff, with the VA for Rick Hunter playing, basically, any dark-haired male main character in anime (Seiya from Saint Seiya, Goku, Tuxedo Kamen in Sailor Moon, the list goes on).

As for south american robotech fans? I have to say I never found the kind of elitism you describe, I mean... yes, I've seen it. But not just about Robotech. Anime fans being assholes has been a feature of fandom ever since I first started meeting other anime fans 14 years ago. Anyway, this is one South American who isn't an elitist! I enjoy both Robotech and Macross and, possibly against my better judgement, I can see a re-watch of Robotech in my near future, as the person I'm currently seeing is a massive Robotech fangirl.

Gundam:

My first experience of Gundam, in contrast, was around 2000 with fansubbed tapes of Gundam Wing. I became totally hooked, having been curious about Gundam for a long, long time. When I took to the internet, however, I dove in at the height of the UC vs Wing wars. I was taken under the (no pun intended) wing of UC fans, and got the anime village tapes Chris describes this episode for the 0079 movies. I ate that stuff up. Soon after, I watched all of Zeta Gundam through bootlegs, and fell in love with it as my favorite show along with 0079. I never finished watching Wing. In the intervening years, I've seen a lot of other Gundam shows, and have yet to see one I totally hate (I like X but find it boring, and 0083's writing is just hard to get through).

Also, fun fact: In the part where you guys were discussing if there was such a thing as a 'bad gundam', you mention Destiny a whole bunch... but not G-Saviour!
"There's always hope tomorrow will be taco night."
azrael

As someone who is involved with the Macross fandom and constantly sees the Robotech-fandom in its disgusting form, I feel the need to chime in.

*On the subject of South American Robotech fans, they've gone to great lengths to create fanart and incorporate Macross-elements into their idea of Robotech. And most of the time, it's not even good art.

*Speaking of Doug Bendo, he uploaded Macross Frontier soundtracks into his podcasts just to increase his podcast downloads on iTunes. And he allegedly hates the show, going so far as to, IIRC, call Ranka Lee a loli trap. This is how this fandom tries to stay relevant, they mooch off other shows and kick and scream...

*And just to give you kids some background on Harmony Gold, HG is a 3rd-party licensing company and real estate company. They basically buy up licenses for stuff and then resell it to other people. This is their MAIN source of income (outside of selling and managing real estate). Robotech is a really really really small portion of their income. Their cash cow is licensing.
Mu La Flaga wrote:So for Robotech vs Macross I agree with everything you guys said.
And it still confuses me why they try to push their bran even though it's overall not doing that good in comparison to Macross, even though as noted Macross has some legal issues with 7 and Frontier with the music.

As Neo said once, it worked at a point in time, don't know why they cling to it now.
Tell that to the people who are running Robotech for Harmony Gold. They tell you that the franchise has withstood the test of time compared to other franchises. Note, they don't mention what those other franchises are.

Why do the fans cling to it? I blame nostalgia.
Bushido wrote:AI have never seen Robotech and I probably would never but I did check out that guy Doug Bendo and saw a clip of him on Youtube...
You are welcome to watch Robotech on Hulu or Youtube. :)
But if you want to waste money, you can buy the new Complete DVD Collection set due out soon:
http://robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=443
Mu La Flaga wrote:A thought just crossed my mind with those Robotech diehards who don't acknowledge the original Macross, I reckon they have nostalgia glasses applied 90% of the time to their eyes.
They acknowledge it. Just not often or in well regards. As Chris mentioned, they fall back to saying Robotech did it better, was better, blah blah blah, etc.
Vent Noir wrote:Interestingly, I heard that the Japanese reaction to the Southern Cross segment of Robotech was along the lines of "How the hell did they make Southern Cross watchable?"
Most people in Japan who watched it back then have the reaction of "Oh yeah, that show. I don't remember it that well anymore", now. It was a forgettable show and most of its Japanese viewers probably will not remember it today.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Now, I've never seen Robotech and I really don't think I want to. After hearing that clip of that Robotech Minmay song, I don't really want to! :D
Now when I wanted to expand my mecha horizons, I remembered a clip I had seen of Robotech from Cartoon Network that I had seen a long time ago and I remembered that you had said that Robotech was made up of Macross, Mospeda and Southern Cross and somehow I knew (or maybe had seen it on MAHQ) that Macross was the one that had the planes in it. I guess I'm something a purist because I decided to watch Macross and as far as I'm concerned, Macross on it's own (and the other productions like DYRL and Frontier) are superior.
You are welcome to watch Robotech on Hulu or Youtube. :) Although, in this age of limited bandwidth, I would say choose wisely.

If anyone wishes to know more or wants to continue this conversation, you are welcomed to PM me.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Chris
Administrator

azrael wrote:*Speaking of Doug Bendo, he uploaded Macross Frontier soundtracks into his podcasts just to increase his podcast downloads on iTunes. And he allegedly hates the show, going so far as to, IIRC, call Ranka Lee a loli trap. This is how this fandom tries to stay relevant, they mooch off other shows and kick and scream...
Wow. I'd heard accusations of him illegally using extensive amounts of Macross music in his podcast, but I didn't know it had gone this far.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
azrael

Chris wrote:Wow. I'd heard accusations of him illegally using extensive amounts of Macross music in his podcast, but I didn't know it had gone this far.
And it wasn't just clips either. We're talking whole pieces of music. Not even integrated into his podcasts either. Just a straight upload of the vocal music. He finally removed them after 2 years (yes, YEARS).
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."