Ep. 083 - Protoculture Overdose

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 083 - Protoculture Overdose

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 083 - "Protoculture Overdose"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 154 min., 4 sec. (2:34:04) - 70.5 MB

Special Guest Host: Hiroko Yamamura of Japanator.com

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:56:58 (Duration: 0:56:15)

03. Method to Madness (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:56:58 - 0:57:43 (Duration: 0:00:45)

04. Jabman: Defender of Destiny!!! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 0:57:43 - 0:58:55 (Duration: 0:01:12)

05. 1st Segment: "Robotech: Then & Now" (Roundtable Discussion)
Runtime: 0:58:55 - 1:46:46 (Duration: 0:47:51)

06. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:46:46 - 1:47:50 (Duration: 0:01:04)

07. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:47:50 - 1:48:29 (Duration: 0:00:39)

08. 2nd Segment: "The Gundam Franchise & How we learned to love the beast!" (Roundtable Discussion)
Runtime: 1:48:29 - 2:24:58 (Duration: 0:36:29)

09. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:24:58 - 2:25:27 (Duration: 0:00:29)

10. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:25:27 - 2:26:18 (Duration: 0:00:51)

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:26:18 - 2:34:04 (Duration: 0:07:46)

With Neo away on vacation, Chris & SBR take a trip down memory lane with guest host Hiroko Yamamura (of Japanator.com) discussing our experiences with Robotech & the Gundam franchise! Many thanks go out to Hiroko for joining us this episode and make sure to follow visit her @ Japanator.com!

Peep the Links we mentioned at the end of Episode:
- Anime Addicts Anonymous: Episode 93 - "Gundamn it! They Did it Again!" (featuring Chris!)
- I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside: Episode 24: The Defender of Destiny (featuring Neo!)
- Laplace's Box: Episode 002 - Comic Con & Wonder Festival
- Chaos Theater: Episode 010 - Super Mario
- GundamFan89: Gundamn! Podcast 'Fanboy' Promo
- aiueotanasinn03: Nissan Cup Noodle "Boil Japan" Commercial
- Mitsugi of Anime Addicts Anonymous: Image of a Large Model Unicorn Gundam in Destroy Mode (thanks, Mitsugi!)

Also, be on the lookout for Dollow Rlance's coverage of "Anime Expo" in Special 014 coming up next week! Mad props to him for putting that together and attending the convention!

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode
- Coming soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios

Sponsors & Special Offers:
PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Mu La Flaga

Re: Ep. 083 - Protoculture Overdose

So my thoughts so far.
Wow what a change of pace without having Neo around for the news and he avoids my questions also by pure luck or maybe taking at holiday was good timing to avoid the flames of hate.
Had some pretty funny results so far.

Also as for title recommendations.
Well Soul Bro I've seen GaoGaiGar and Dai-Guard.
Flag I might look in to, VOTOMs I plan to look in to.

As for Centurions so does that hate for it still exsist?
Seems like it kind of does.
Oh and just so you know, I like Bionic Six also, also I've read this the character designs looking so American were done by Jack Kirby, seriously.

For Hiroko's ones, well I might look in to Dan-Gaioh, seen Gunbuster.

Chris, I have the Gaiking rmake I intend to watch it sometime, I've already seen Dancougar Nova.
And at least it seems you tired more with Aquarion then Dragonaught.
As for Centurions and having not seen it, well can always give it a look on youtube.

Also thanks for the unofficial Neo answer.

On other mailbag answers for stock footage I like.
The Impulse launching and combining.
GaoGaiGar, Final Fusion, Goldion Hammer combine and finishing move, the Dragon Brothers, Volfogg combine to Big Volfogg, King J-Der Mega Fusion to Robot Mode.

I also have a few Transformers ones such as when Omega Supreme Transforms from his base mode to full on robot mode and ready to make Decepticons tremble in fear.
Megatron getting held by Soundwave isn't as bad as Megatron in the hands of Starscream.
Also I have the Takara Encore of Megatron with all those parts, yeah it's awesome.
If you can get him I would recmmoned it.

I would also say the same for Beast Wars there are some as well.

Can't think of them all right now.
I will probably add more to this when listened to the other segments, I listened to the news and mailbag in the streamed version posted on Gundamn@MAHQ on facebook.

Comics wise I'm big on Marvel Comics as well not so much on DC as Chris said, Batman is the really appealing one though, their other stuff doesn't catch my interest much.
It comes down to their portrayls of characters and the way they are which makes them interesting and somewahat realistic.
I tend to currently hunt down older stuff since now my comic book store is gone, need to get stuff off of Amazon or places like that.
Trying to get 2 Iron Man TPBs and also the whole Clone saga for Spiderman, maybe other things like more of New Warrriors which I enjoyed mostly.

Also will add this note now before I forget, Hiroko it was nice to have a femal mecha fan on the show, can't get much better then her I think.
I hope she has more appearances on the show, so long as she has time to do so.
prince_of_zeon

Hey SoulBro, thanks for introducing me to Flag! I had never heard of it before this show, and I've been watching it-simply fantastic.
Twat me: http://twitter.com/#!/Podsyboy

Subscribe/comment me: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaAeizeru

Did Fats Goodman really die at the end of "Fats' Counterattack?"
kayone73

Great show as always, you answered my question wether Neo has ever taken a break from a gundam podcast. His attendance record is impressive. Hope he is enjoying his time off. Thanks for having Hiroko on, her different view on the big ticket franchises mixes things up in the discussion nicely. Plus she was a riot on Tomocast so I'm glad she injected some of her humor into this show as well.

SoulBro: the giant Gundam Unicorn statue was build out of wood and fiberglass in Japan and some guys in LA did the thermal decal decorations on the statue. It made its debut at Anime Expo then got shipped over to Otakon.
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Have you seen this yet, Soul Bro? I think you'll enjoy it. =p

Thanks for putting up the episode! It was a great listen.

Funnily enough, my guilty pleasure mecha anime is Aquarion. It is hilarious to laugh at, but yes, also very very bad. The soundtrack by Kanno is incredible, though. Still need to finish the show.

Chris, I'm very surprised you only got through so little of Dragonaut! I actually watched the whole thing because of how much you talked about it. The show is fucking garbage like you said, but I was extremely surprised at the high production values. The artwork (outside of the horrendous CG) and the music were quite lovely. And Kazaki was a retarded dick like you said, but his stupidity and awkward homosexual undertones were hilarious. The eyepatch he wore on his forehead had me rolling on the ground.

I haven't been up to very much. Quite a while ago I did a gameplay video for Armored Core for Answer people have been calling me God over. I'm still not too sure how I pulled it off. It was like I could see infinity.

I was thinking that if Neo was having a hard time with the complexities of the game, he could just download a save of the game that already has pre-built schematics on it. That way, he can just pick some he thinks look good and he doesn't have to fiddle with the garage options too much.

I've done a few doodles here and there, but they're not really worth mentioning. I really need to find time to do more stuff.

Anyway, I think I'm off to submit some laundry lists to the mailbag. =3
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Mu La Flaga

So just adding my comments for the main 2 segments since I tried once before but Firefox crashed whilst posting my original post just a moment ago.

So for Robotech vs Macross I agree with everything you guys said.
And it still confuses me why they try to push their bran even though it's overall not doing that good in comparisson to Macross, even though as noted Macross has some legal issues with 7 and Frontier with the music.

As Neo said once, it worked at a point in time, don't know why they cling to it now.

As for Gundam I got in to it with Wing back in the day a little later when the boxset was avaiblable back then, then I went on to SEED, SEED Destiny.
And then went on to 0083, 08th MS Team, Zeta Gundam and Unicorn as Madman released them.

I also anticipate 0079 release, I hope they get 0080 as well.

I do plan to look in to G-Gundam and Turn A eventually, X I really liked when I saw it.
I'm kind of curious to how Gundam goes in future,
although admittingly I look forward to Gundam the Origin when it gets done.

That is all I've got to add and again enjoyed seeing Hiroko on the show.
Look forward to the Shinjuku Station at the movies special.
Chris
Administrator

Seraphic wrote:The show is ZOINKS garbage like you said, but I was extremely surprised at the high production values. The artwork (outside of the horrendous CG) and the music were quite lovely.
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

Chris wrote:You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to defend the show at all. The writing was incredibly stupid, and oftentimes I wanted to drive a screwdriver into my brain:
"You mean the problem will just go away by itself if we just ask the military to do this one simple thing which doesn't even require any effort or fighting?"
"Yeah, but they probably won't listen to us."
"Okay. We better not mention it ever again, then." *show goes on for 20 more eps*
Me: *stab stab stab**
I was just horrified at how such a terribly written show could receive all the money for its animation budget and orchestrated score. What the hell is going on??
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
Mu La Flaga

Hey Chris on a small related note for reccommendations, I was surprised for real robots you didn't think of recommending Sokoyu no Strain/Strain: Strategic Amrored Infantry.

That is one I would recommend especially if liked a show like Fafner for instance.
kayone73

I gotta say the evolution of my views on the gundam franchise mirrors that of Chris as I got into the franchise at a similar point (zeta gundam unsubbed for me) then working my way thru the rest of the UC backcatalogue (f91 and 0083 were new at this time) and once the first alt universe shows came out I was pretty decidedly a hardcore UC person but I did enjoy a few things about G and Wing. Victory was a welcome return to UC but so far removed from past aeries it could almost be treated by like alt series.

Thanks to the podcast I've given Turn A a chance even tho personally it was really hard to get thru the first couple doze. eps for me but because I knew the payoff was gonna come I stuck w it. Since they went into space I've been loving the show. Chris nice description on the 'Miyazaki Gundam' comparo.
Mr Bushido

Alright I did some digging for that thread on Megazone. I gotta say, what that guy Outlander reminds me of are those ignorant and annoying Christian extremists (no offense to Christians). He also reminds me of that guy who was "predicting" AGE would suck since some of what he was saying was very similar.

I have never seen Robotech and I probably would never but I did check out that guy Doug Bendo and saw a clip of him on Youtube... well lets say words cannot express my disappointment and disgust of these Robotech extremists. But then again, their beloved franchise is the "dying old man" so I suppose it's their loss for following it to Robotech's eventual grave.

As for getting into Gundam, I got into it right off the bat after seeing an episode of Gundam Wing when I was back in 5th grade. I was instantly mesmerized and I wanted more. And like Chris, I used to really dislike Turn A but I gave it a shot and surprisingly it was really good. And to be honest when I was watching MSG (TV series), it was hard to watch because of the older animation style, but I kept in mind it was made way back when so I didn't hold it against the show but it was still hard to watch since most if not all anime I watched up to that point was a newer style. But none the less, good show. And here I am, with a bunch of owned models and Robot Damashiis and I will agree with Chris about the RD F91. It's fantastic toy. But I like my RD Astraea Type F best. :D
501st Legion - Northern California Golden Gate Garrison
TK-3942 aka TK-EXIA
So the Geara Zulu has an Stg-44 and the Jesta has a Scar-H w/ holographic scope.
jabman025

wow Neo wasn't here for this episode.....I know I gave him a verbal beat down on the Destiny debate but I didn't think he would take it this hard..... :wink:
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
VentZX

With regards to a certain image macro described by Chris:

G Gundam
SRW

Also, brofist to Chris as I'm also an owner of the Animeigo Macross DVD box set. I actually ordered it after I heard you mention it some time ago, though I'm pretty sure I paid much less than the $250 you shelled out.
Mu La Flaga

A thought just crossed my mind with those Robotech diehards who don't acknowledge the original Macross, I reckon they have nostalgia glasses applied 90% of the time to their eyes.
Vent Noir

Good show again, guys!

I still enjoy Robotech, which I regard as a seperate series from Macross (although yes, I am frustrated about Macross not coming over to the west).

Interestingly, I heard that the Japanese reaction to the Southern Cross segment of Robotech was along the lines of "How the hell did they make Southern Cross watchable?"
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
kayone73

Vent Noir wrote:Good show again, guys!

I still enjoy Robotech, which I regard as a seperate series from Macross (although yes, I am frustrated about Macross not coming over to the west).

Interestingly, I heard that the Japanese reaction to the Southern Cross segment of Robotech was along the lines of "How the hell did they make Southern Cross watchable?"
Really it still wasn't very watchable even after the robotech treatment. It was the the most forgettable chapter when it first came out and is the same now. I just rewatched it recently to see if I had missed out on anything due to childhood ADD and lack of maturity. Nope I still found it unenjoyable and difficult to pay attn to.
hawk of endymion
Location: The Lord Larry King Memorial News Studio at the Gundamn News Tower, HB, CA

jabman025 wrote:wow Neo wasn't here for this episode.....I know I gave him a verbal beat down on the Destiny debate but I didn't think he would take it this hard..... :wink:
Wow, Fantasy Land must be a great place to make statements like that.

My absence was due to greater forces than you.

Oh and I listened to that podcast, how you beat me when half way through you're agreeing with me?
The Equation of the Robot Apocalypse:

The Admiral + Flashlight = Dead Robo

B.A., M.A., PhD,
The Yoshiyuki Tomino School of Film.
"You draw'em, we kill'em!"

[email protected]

PSN/XBOX Live: NeoLorroke
TimberNewtype

jabman025 wrote:wow Neo wasn't here for this episode.....I know I gave him a verbal beat down on the Destiny debate but I didn't think he would take it this hard..... :wink:
Neo's deft demonstration of debating that left "defender" of Destiny's dribbling daft diatribe destroyed and decimated demanded he take a vacation from podcasting, lest his powers of reason become so powerful he would collapse the Internet.
Newtype Dad

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life
Follow me on twitter @TimberNewtype
hotlimit

hawk of endymion wrote: My absence was due to greater forces than you.
Uh oh, did the Emperor get out of jail? Does old-time news guy need to interview him?
Mu La Flaga

Probably that or the General summoned him.
That and he also wanted to avoid answering my question of hate himself. :P