TIGER & BUNNY

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Chris
Administrator

Re: TIGER & BUNNY

Amadi Akintunde wrote:Straight with her how, exactly? He can't really tell her that he's a Hero. Unless you mean he should be much more stern with her as a father.

Honestly, I don't think he knows how to be stern.
Actually he could tell her. Nothing's stopping him, and obviously his mother and brother know. But even if he didn't tell her, he could be more honest with her and not always give such wishy-washy answers. If you were 10 and Kotetsu was your dad, wouldn't you get tired of his flimsy excuses? And after he gives you so many in a row and breaks so many promises, wouldn't you start to think that he actually doesn't want to come home? This isn't just a problem with Kaede - Kotetsu's just really bad at being honest with anyone about anything. If he'd been more honest with Barnaby and told him the truth about his declining powers, that confrontation of theirs could've been avoided.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Amadi Akintunde

Chris wrote:
Amadi Akintunde wrote:Straight with her how, exactly? He can't really tell her that he's a Hero. Unless you mean he should be much more stern with her as a father.

Honestly, I don't think he knows how to be stern.
Actually he could tell her. Nothing's stopping him, and obviously his mother and brother know.
I can understand her behavior well enough, it's just that it's becoming very annoying to deal with.

The show's director already gave an explanation as to why Kotetsu hasn't told Kaede he's a Hero, though.
Why doesn't Tiger ever tell his daughter that he's a superhero?

Ozaki: That is Kotetsu being a parent. He doesn't want to tell her because if she lets it slip in class that her father is a superhero, that might have ramifications, for example, danger might befall her, and he doesn't want her to worry about what he's doing.
Chris
Administrator

Yeah, and this being a superhero-based show, we know from other comic books that whenever a superhero tries to keep a loved one in the dark and out of danger, it ends up putting them in danger. Besides, I think it's a given that at some point before the end of the show she's going to find out that he's Wild Tiger. It's only a question of when.
Amadi Akintunde

Yeah, I guess it always is. And how.
Destiny_Gundam

Even that reason shows he doesn't trust his daughter not to blab. What's straining their relationship a lot is that Kotetsu still treats her like a baby when she's at the age where she wants to be treated more like an adult.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Blightstrider

Apparently they are looking into a second season for Tiger & Bunny, if ANN is anything to go by...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/inte ... nny-season

Assuming episode 25 doesn't have a closed-ending, that sounds pretty cool to me
Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.'
Vent Noir

Blightstrider wrote:Apparently they are looking into a second season for Tiger & Bunny, if ANN is anything to go by...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/inte ... nny-season

Assuming episode 25 doesn't have a closed-ending, that sounds pretty cool to me
Looks like I still have something superhero-related to look forward to come September (well, apart from the rest of Gokaiger)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Destiny_Gundam

Damn. Well...
Spoiler
God Kotetsu is really dense. I mean, even denser than I thought. So many clues about what's going on right in front of him and he doesn't get it at all!

And now he's been framed for the murder of Samantha and is on the run. Mavericks doing his mind wiping thing again and now none of the other heros know who he is.

Except Lunatic.

Looks like it's time for Lunatic to save the day!
Ryujin

I found the part with the coffee oddly amusing.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Damn. Well...
Spoiler
God Kotetsu is really dense. I mean, even denser than I thought. So many clues about what's going on right in front of him and he doesn't get it at all!
Not really. It may seem that way since the audience has the benefit of a near-omniscient perspective (not to mention expectations given the plot's direction). Kotetsu, on the other hand, actually has very little material with which to arouse his suspicions, much less work with.

From the evidence he's personally encountered, all he can logically conclude is that:
a. The killer doesn't appear to be Jake anymore.
b. Barnaby's memory is untrustworthy.
c. Barnaby is missing, but was in Maverick's office at one point.
d. Samantha may know something important, but she didn't give any details to Kotetsu.

Kotetsu may be a superpowered crimefighter, but there's no indication that he's a trained detective. Nor does he have Batman or Sherlock Holmes-level powers of observation, deduction & inference. In addition, his attention, until this episode, was focused more on his personal & family problems than anything else.

On a related note, in the beginning of this month, people were commenting that Maverick had a rock-solid alibi, so the actual gunman couldn't possibly be him...anyone unaware of his memory-altering powers can't be blamed for coming to this conclusion.

Anyways, it would be interesting to know, in the next episode, how
Spoiler
thoroughly Rock Bison was affected by Maverick's memory alteration power, given his lengthy past history with Kotetsu. He has known him since high school, after all, and there's bound to be a bunch of contradictions between it & Maverick's fabrications. But Blue Rose'll probably have one of the crucial roles, given the hints dropped here & there by the staff (not to mention that beloved towel of hers with KABURAGI printed on it and which she now seems to be using all of the time).
Blightstrider

Heh. In the preview the wanted poster has him condemned as "Murdere". Hehe.

But yeah, Tiger against a cadre of young and/or strong heroes, while his own abilities are starting to wane? Yeah, he is going to need help from SOMEONE.

Hopefully...
Spoiler
Character development time for Lunatic!
Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Destiny_Gundam

Ryujin wrote:Kotetsu may be a superpowered crimefighter, but there's no indication that he's a trained detective. Nor does he have Batman or Sherlock Holmes-level powers of observation, deduction & inference.
Guess I expected more, especially considering how he figured out Jake's ability...
Spoiler
I thought that pin would be the key to it, and face palmed everytime he misinterpreted it.

Really looking forward to what Lunatic will do. He might punish Kotetsu as a criminal, but judging from the look on his face I don't think he believes Kotetsu would do something like that.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Guess I expected more, especially considering how he figured out Jake's ability...
Those are two entirely different situations. The thing with Jake happened right in front of him, there was no way Jake knew his real identity, and he only called him Kotetsu after he'd mentally called himself that. That's not too hard to figure out. All this stuff with Maverick, you're expecting him to figure things out from information he doesn't have and events he wasn't present at. Also, up to this point he had no reason to distrust Maverick.

Maverick has miscalculated again though in his attempts to rewrite history - while he's taken care of everyone in the city who knows Wild Tiger's real identity, Kotetsu's mother and brother still know the truth.
Destiny_Gundam

Chris wrote:Maverick has miscalculated again though in his attempts to rewrite history - while he's taken care of everyone in the city who knows Wild Tiger's real identity, Kotetsu's mother and brother still know the truth.
I don't think that's particularly an issue. If they raise a fuss they can be dismissed as merely trying to save their family member, or that Kotetsu was lying to them about being Wild Tiger, as we see with that security guard easily brushing him off as an imposter.
Chris
Administrator

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I don't think that's particularly an issue. If they raise a fuss they can be dismissed as merely trying to save their family member, or that Kotetsu was lying to them about being Wild Tiger, as we see with that security guard easily brushing him off as an imposter.
It would be silly to ignore a gaping hole in Maverick's plan. He thinks he's taken care of everyone who knows Wild Tiger's identity, but he hasn't. I could just as easily beforehand dismiss the importance of a single 24-year-old photograph, but look how that one thing unraveled Maverick's lies.
Destiny_Gundam

He also overlooked Yuri (who's had to deal with Tiger's colatteral damage claims) and Kotetsu's old boss too.

I have a feeling that Barnaby might not be fully turned. When Maverick tells him Kotetsu's name, Barnaby's eyes shift to the side. Might be nothing, but I think something jarred loose.
Blightstrider

He also overlooked a couple dozen other people who could possibly cause problems with revealing the fake memories. Anyone who has seen Kotetsu interact with other heroes could prove a risk (like the bartender!), but Maverick can't just run around and mind-juggle EVERYONE, well, he can, at least not on screen. Maybe he picked off the minor characters separately off-screen? I think the people who are going to factor into clearing up other people's memory can be narrowed down to his daughter (who power-copying abilities may save the day if she meets Maverick) and maybe Kotetsu's old agent.

Dean_the_Young

It occurs to me that we may be thinking about it the wrong way. It seems to me that Maverick's plan doesn't need to hinge on Tiger being suspected and chased, merely that Tiger is chased long enough for him to finally and fully bury what he truly cares about: the last evidence linking Maverick to the crime of killing Barnaby's parents, and the more recent cover up.

Making everyone in the world think that Kotetsu was the criminal isn't necessary: it may not even be the point. It may even not be intended to last.

Rather, think of it as a way to boost ratings while covering his tracks... and this high-stakes drama could be intended to end (or prepared with the possibility in mind) with people realizing that Kotetsu was framed. After the fact, of course.

If Tiger dies and the deception doesn't come undone, well and good.

If Tiger dies and the deception is realized, then Maverick maneuvers things so that o-snake-thing's hand is obvious. It becomes the revenge of O-snake-thing against Barnaby, and a new chapter in his crusade. O-snake-thing takes the blame away from Maverick and he's free to continue away.

If Tiger survives and the deception doesn't come undone, well and good again. Tiger goes to jail, and while relationship angst ensues it isn't all that.

If Tiger survives and the greater deception is realized, then Maverick can try a ploy along the lines that he as well has been targeted by... whoever was doing the deception (O-snake-thing) while re-altering the memories of the Heroes while they're confused to ensure that they remember someone else showing up at the dinner party to take the blame. Such a small memory would be easier to do than the big wipe, and less prone to contradictions.

So long as Maverick can destroy the truth of those years ago, what's going on now doesn't matter much: he can still come out on top. Regardless, it will be Big and Exciting and attract notice for HeroTV, and turn into the next chapter of Barnaby's narrative.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Destiny_Gundam

Spoiler
So Kaede learns Kotetsu is really Wild Tiger and goes off to Sternbuild. She runs into Maverick, but he thinks she's just one of Barnaby's fans. And pats her on the head.

Kotetsu is attacked by the other heros who don't remember him. To them 'Wild Tiger' has never revealed his identity to them, and what I'm assuming is a robot version of Tiger shows up. Kotetsu seems to get through to Blue Rose a bit but Rock Bison doesn't know him at all.

He's bailed out by Lunatic who says some stuff I didn't really catch. Probably something about the true criminal. Kotetsu flees and goes into hiding, seeing a news report regarding Maverick. Maverick says how Barnaby was at his villa the whole time, and Kotetsu finally puts it all together and realises Maverick is behind it all.

Kotetsu runs into Ben, who does in fact still remember him. Ben gives him the old Wild Tiger costume which Kotetsu puts on and goes to confront the other heros.

Barnaby puts on his new, evil looking suit.
Dean_the_Young

Exceptionally high animation quality this episode, all things considered.

Tiger ran away constantly, but still gained cool points... especially with his balls-to-the-wall stand at the end.

I was betting Kaede was going to end up catching the powers of either Lunactic or Maverick... and now it just remains to see how it will unfold.

Man, I am stoked.
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it shorter. -Mark Twain

Official Jerid Fanboy
Ryujin

Quite eagerly awaiting the next episode as well.

Among other things, I like how Sky High's episode & what we know of Barnaby's parents ties in with and makes the introduction of the other 'Wild Tiger' that much more plausible.

Given that the speculation of Kaede encountering a certain someone did come about, one has to wonder if Kotetsu's older brother (and possible NEXT) would also have a significant role to play later on. He'll probably be out looking for his niece, for one thing.