Ep. 082 - Sir Michael Bay's Prime Directive

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 082 - Sir Michael Bay's Prime Directive

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 082 - "Sir Michael Bay's Prime Directive"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 144 min., 50 sec. (2:24:50) - 66.3 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:30:58 (Duration: 0:30:15)

03. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:30:58 - 0:31:37 (Duration: 0:00:39)

04. Jabman: Defender of Destiny!!! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 0:31:37 - 0:32:50 (Duration: 0:01:13)

05. 1st Segment: "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" (Film Review & Discussion)
Runtime: 0:32:50 - 1:34:32 (Duration: 1:01:42)

06. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:34:32 - 1:35:40 (Duration: 0:01:08)

07. Animēshon Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:35:40 - 1:36:49 (Duration: 0:02:17)

08. 2nd Segment: "Gundam Universe Grand Tour: What realities would you like live in & which ones would you avoid?" (Roundtable Discussion)
Runtime: 1:36:49 - 2:16:50 (Duration: 0:40:01)

09. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:16:50 - 2:17:19 (Duration: 0:00:29)

10. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:17:19 - 2:18:09 (Duration: 0:00:50)

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:18:09 - 2:24:50 (Duration: 0:06:41)

A review of "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" & a roundtable discussion about what Gundam Universes we would like to live in and avoid like the plague. Many props go out to listener Mu La Flaga for submitting the idea for the second segment!

Also, unlimited thanks go out to The Fowl Sorcerous & Jabman025 for having Neo on the latest episode of "I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside! Check it out and don't miss the raging debate between Neo & Jabman025 over the "greatest" Gundam series ever, "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny", in an upcoming episode!

Peep the Links we mentioned at the end of Episode:
- I Thought They Smelled Bad on the Outside: Episode 23: Gundam Alternate Universes (featuring Neo!)
- Laplace's Box: Episode 001 - Gundam AGE
- Chaos Theater: Episode 009 - Star Trek Movies
- Anime Festival Orlando: Fan Panels - "So You Want to Start Your Own Anime Podcast?"

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode
- Coming soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios

Sponsors & Special Offers:
PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
The Fowl Sorcerous

Re: Ep. 082 - Sir Michael Bay's Prime Directive

Just a quick clarification; but the Gundam Seed Destiny debate ran long and it will end appearing as it's own episode next week.
[[lorem ipsum]]
jabman025

also just for clarification, I won that debate.....XD
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
Wingnut

Actually guys, there is one universe you forgot. That of SD Gundam Force. Neotopia, Lacroia, Ark, and the Dark Axis are all prospective locations for residence and/or vacation.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Chris
Administrator

Wingnut wrote:Actually guys, there is one universe you forgot. That of SD Gundam Force. Neotopia, Lacroia, Ark, and the Dark Axis are all prospective locations for residence and/or vacation.
We can't forget something that we never intended to talk about in the first place. Did you hear us mention any SD universes at all? We never planned to discuss any SD.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

Ok where to start.

Transformers Dark of the Moon.
My thoughts on it are mixed, I agree with a few critisisms.
I agree with most of the likes and the homages were nice in this movie, but as I said to a friend, the movie felt lacking something.

And for the final movie with Bay at the helm, how about giving the Autobots some variety or a trump card of their own for the final battle?

All in all, I enjoyed the moviea bit, I have some small likes and dislikes.
Also as I've said before, sentinnel Prime is an ass to say the least of him.

But yeah this one ended up being better then the 2nd movie and not just a big salute to US army.

As for what Gundam worlds you would like to live in, I myself reckon Wing wouldn't be too bad all in all.
I thought CE might be ok in some places like Orb which is a neutral nation.

Turn A seems good too by the sound of it.

But thanks for using my topic suggestion idea.
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:I thought CE might be ok in some places like Orb which is a neutral nation.
Yeah, because being neutral spared Orb from being invaded by both major powers, right? Would you want to live in Orb and end up as a severed hand and pink cell phone?
kayone73

My thoughts on Transformers 3:

Agree with SBR, last 40 min battle dragged on a bit too long yet was too choppy, I found myself yawning and checking my watch to see when the movie would end. It didn't help I was catching a late night show at the end of a really busy day at work and was dead tired.

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley - Yes she's a Victoria Secrets model first and not an Oscar calibre actress, but honestly, WHO CARES? Yes, shes much more pleasing to the eye than Megan Fox and refering to my tired state above, seeing her on screen did keep me awake. People, especially men who complain about her acting ability, they deserve the phrase 'you're doing it wrong'.

Chris - You're right, by the 3rd movie, the majority of Decepticons all looked the same. At least in movie 1 they all had individual personas and looks like the Autobots but they degenerated into 'generic warriors' I didn't even think about that watching the last film.
Mekton GM

On the subject of choppy editing two things that stand out to me were 1) the Rookie Soldier (he takes down one of the decepticons by jumping on it and planting a bomb or something) it seems like they were trying to make a point of him and his first combat but we didnt even know about him till the final battle. 2) I dont know if I missed something because like Soul Bro I had a large drink so bathroom breaks were frequent, but when were the Autobots surrounded to be captured?
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
Mu La Flaga

Chris wrote:
Mu La Flaga wrote:I thought CE might be ok in some places like Orb which is a neutral nation.
Yeah, because being neutral spared Orb from being invaded by both major powers, right? Would you want to live in Orb and end up as a severed hand and pink cell phone?
On average it's better then being in one of the PLANTs or in an Earth Alliance affiliated contry most likely.

I mean Orb was a bunch of islands anyway.
NastyNate

Thanks Chris and Gundamn crew for answering my question on buying used games and anime. I have been spending some time at ign lately and they have been harping against it all the time. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
jabman025

I enjoyed Transformers Dark of the Moon, but like Soul Bro I think it ranks as the second best of the trilogy. The first act of the movie was just awful, the lame jokes, the bad acting, and lack of action really left me frustrated. However as soon as Sentinal Prime turned the movie took off. However that whole sequence where Sam is wearing that decepticon as a wristwatch was just a complete waste of time. I really enjoyed the battle in Chicago where Optimus went Dark Knight on just about everyone. Although can someone tell me why Optimus doesn't have one blasted sword that can cut some cables. I kind of wish there was more Megatron in the movie as just like revenge of the fallen he seemed to be the background villian, just replace the fallen with Sentinal Prime. That being said Sentinal Prime being voiced by Nemoy was just awesome.

as for what gundam timeline to live in......do you even need to ask.....my gundam would have the biggest badest backpack ever XD
Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Twitter : Jabman025
and check out my gunpla reviews on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/jabman025
The Fowl Sorcerous

Seriously Mu? a neutral state? Those ones always get blownup the worst in gundam.
[[lorem ipsum]]
yazi88

If I were to live in UC it would probably be either Luna II or Londenien as a civilian mind you, Luna II cause aside from Char's attack in MSG, nothing happens to the place and the damn place is still around during Victory Gundam. Londenien cause no one's got the balls to attack Londo Bell's headquarters.

Kinda surprised no one brought up Mars from CE, I assumed that reading from Delta Astray that nothing really happens there cause its too far away from the chaos and idiotic antics of everyone around the earth sphere.

As for AW, I would probably chill in that under water fortress from the Gundam X moonlight manga that the main antagonist was in for over 15 years?
Mu La Flaga

The Fowl Sorcerous wrote:Seriously Mu? a neutral state? Those ones always get blownup the worst in gundam.
Well if your in the PLANT colonies you tend to get attacked pretty commonly.

Same deal for if your on Earth in one of the Earth Alliance affiliated countries.
Sulendil Zeta

yazi88 wrote:Luna II cause aside from Char's attack in MSG
Just a minor nitpick, but I think you're thinking about Char's raiding of Luna II's nuclear warheads in CCA, not MSG. I don't think Zeon ever launched any major attacks at Luna II during OYW.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

I would like to be in the UC, maybe join the Titans since spacenoids are always going crazy and wanting to drop colonies. We need to put them in their place.

no way in hell I want to live in CE, superweapons all over "GENESIS" plus a lot of the world leaders are crazy

for example Patrick Zala "target input, North American continent east coast, target Earth Atlantic Federation capital Washington"

WOT damn guys I live in NC, coordinators want to blow the planet not kick everyone to space like the Zeon. Zaft is insane

I am staying the hell out of CC plus it seems Rau was the only sane person in that nightmare universe
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Because I already wrote a long soliloquy on an MSG movie, I'm just going to say that I agree with 98% of everything that you said about TF3. About 10x better than Revenge but still not quite as good as the first movie.

As for where I'd live in the Gundam metaverse--

UC doesn't have a chance. In addition to all the reasons you guys gave, what happened to Marida Cruz also really puts me off. Man, I feel for that poor girl. You know, I bet the only reason she hasn't gone Cyber-NewType loco is because of all the horrible things that happened to her.
I'd live on the Future Century colonies, definitely on the Neo America colony!
I'd also live in After Colony but probably on Earth, not the colonies.
Probably wouldn't be able to live in After War at least, like you said, prior to After War 15.
I would actually be able to live in Correct Century because I've already had to go through total technology withdrawl once, so I know I can do it again.
I don't see many problems with Cosmic Era either but I'd want to be a Coordinator and live on the PLANTs because I only think that one or two PLANTs have been destroyed. Either that or live on the moon.
Can't say much about AD since it's our own timeline.
I'm going to go ahead and say that I would live in Advanced Generation and we'll see if my opinion changes.

P.S. When did you guys discuss Revenge of the Fallen?
P.P.S. Chris, your comments re: Megan Fox are probably why all those CGI Megan jokes got started.
P.P.P.S. Have any of the robot designers given a reason why they put a V-fin on Sentinel Prime?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Chris
Administrator

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:P.S. When did you guys discuss Revenge of the Fallen?
Uhh... back when it came out. I believe it was during your self-described technological withdrawal. 8)
Mu La Flaga

Chris wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:P.S. When did you guys discuss Revenge of the Fallen?
Uhh... back when it came out. I believe it was during your self-described technological withdrawal. 8)
I thought it was more like the supposed Iron Man episodes which didn't exsist, yet now it does exsist :p