Beam Rotors

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Kylern

Beam Rotors

Ok so how does a beam rotor, such as in Victory, allow a mech to fly like a helicopter? Logically I'm assuming its because beams interact with the physical world like a solid object and functions like a traditional rotor on a helicopter. In my head this makes sense but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone have an concrete reasoning behind this particular tech?
When the books are written will we be on the right side of history?
Totally Awesome Random Robot RPG
Zerosystem

Re: Beam Rotors

Kylern wrote:Logically I'm assuming its because beams interact with the physical world like a solid object and functions like a traditional rotor on a helicopter.
That's pretty much it. A beam rotor is just further development of what beam sabres can do, and beam sabres use an I-field to keep the beam sabre plasma in place. I-fields are easily manipulated, so beam sabres can have the cutting edge reshaped into a lot of different shapes. Some beam melee weapons have curved edges, some are even designed to hold specific, specialized shapes so it's even possible to have a beam mace, as seen later in Victory Gundam.

Anyway, beam rotors just emit beams shaped like helicopter blades. The I-field holding the shape in place ensures that it acts just like a solid object, so not even air will go through it, allowing it to act just like real helicopter blades.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
Wingnut

Zerosystem wrote:Anyway, beam rotors just emit beams shaped like helicopter blades. The I-field holding the shape in place ensures that it acts just like a solid object, so not even air will go through it, allowing it to act just like real helicopter blades.
Which makes me wonder how the MS using it doesn't go into a horrid spin without a tail rotor.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
HalfDemonInuyasha

Now you got me imagining such a MS spinning up into the air like one of those straight-up toy helicopters. Or at least being swung around in such a manner, lol.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
ydawg314

Im not sure but maybe the verniers keep the ms in place
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
Mark064

Common misconception: beam rotors work like a helicopters blade.

They do not work like a helicopter's blade at all. Beam rotors are an application of the Minovsky Craft system. Think of it as the poor mans version as it doesn't require a huge generator and all that stuff. Other then that it works exactly the same as a Minovsky Craft. The helicopter sound effects obviously make no sense which I guess is what confuses people.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
Zerosystem

I thought minovsky craft devices allowed ships and mobile suits to fly by creating a lattice of minovsky particles to push the ship or machine away from the Earth's surface. When did simply spinning a beam sabre generate the same effect?

MAHQ's profile for the Zolo states that:
MAHQ wrote:The Zolo was also the first mobile suit to use a "beam rotor", a device which not only created spinning beam blades that created lift and a control surface similar to a helicopter's rotor, but also doubled as a beam shield.
Besides, helicopters without tail rotors exist in real life, they simply use a fan in the tail of the helicopter to generate the same force that a tail rotor would to stabilize the helicopter.
gp=pc----c>--- %%
__|______|_____|_______
bazooka | shell | explosion
HalfDemonInuyasha

When you think of particles possibly being pushed down underneath the rotor, that's pretty much what it's doing, but only in that limited area rather than all around underneath the MS like the Victory's Minovsky Flight or the Victory 2's Minovsky Drive Systems do, which enable them to float completely stable rather than just 1 section being lifted to carry the rest like dead weight almost.

This is improved more with the Memedorza, with 2 beam rotors mounted on the shoulders, rather than just 1 mounted on 1 arm, and large thrusters in the legs, giving much greater balance and stability, I'd think.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Mark064

MAHQ only has about a hundred million errors in it's Gundam profiles and that's one of them. But to be fair it's not really wrong it's just stupidly vague, the spinning beam blades do create lift it just doesn't say how so it sounds like it's exactly a helicopter blade concept.

But yeah the idea is that the beam rotor is doing exactly what a Minovsky Craft does and that is creating a lattice of Minovsky Particles to push the object away from the Earth's surface. There might be a bit more science behind it, but I don't have the time to search through my books for the one with it.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.