Ep. 081 - An Englishman in King Arthur's Court, Revisited

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
TheGundamMKII

Re: Ep. 081 - An Englishman in King Arthur's Court, Revisite

I've been listening for just a little while, and I have to say I love your commentary. Listening to all the talk about Sunrise and Bandai wanting to reintroduce Gundam to the rest of the world has gotten me thinking why I like Gundam in the first place.

I'm one of those people who was introduced to Gundam via Wing back when it played on Toonami. After Wing's modern animation style and radically different story, the original Gundam didn't appeal to me at first. However, I had a friend who sent off for some fan-subbed VHS's of Zeta Gundam (back when that's what you had to do to get un-licensed anime in the US) and I was positively enamored with the sixteen or so grainy episodes we had.

I'm 27 now and I still enjoy Gundam Wing. These days I'm also a die hard Universal Century fan, despite the fact that it took me ten years to get Zeta Gundam on DVD in order to finish the series. I've since gone back and watched the original Gundam as well and I love both.

I think the real problem with the situation is availability. I've had to go searching and special ordering almost everything I've bought, even things that were; and still are, fairly popular like Wing. I'm trying to find the original Gundam on DVD, but it's proving nigh impossible, aside from the compilation movies which I already own.

If Bandai really wants more people enjoy Gundam internationally, then they have to make it more widely available in foreign markets. They can't expect the casual shopper to go hunting like I had to.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

hey guys just want to say this is the first podcast I have ever listen to. I finally found time and it is like crack.

I stayed up all night listening to all of them

I am new into Gundam and I can't wait until the next one comes out

thanks and keep up the awesome work

I LOVE ANIME MOSES
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
vick86

I'm surprised no one mentioned G Gundam. Now I've never seen G Gundam but from what I've heard it should be an obvious choice with it essentially being a fighting tournament except it's fought with mecha. Taking away the mecha shouldn't change that much except the actual fights. G-Gundam without the Gundams should still have plenty of potential as an action anime.
Chris
Administrator

Well, if you had seen G Gundam you'd know there's much more to it than just tournament fighting. It wouldn't work the same way without robots, which is why we didn't mention it. Also, if you haven't seen a series, you probably shouldn't comment on what parts of its story would or wouldn't work if you make changes.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

I just had an idea for a series which could work with mecha added.

Space Battleship Yamato
You have the Yamato has grunt mechs for defense for the ship or the ship can do some kind of lame transformation for more firepower or something like that.
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:I just had an idea for a series which could work with mecha added.

Space Battleship Yamato
You have the Yamato has grunt mechs for defense for the ship or the ship can do some kind of lame transformation for more firepower or something like that.
It's already been done... it's called Macross. 8)
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

Yamato could still have something like that done anyway.
Because to me Heroic Age kind of seemed sort of like that, but that might just be me.