Upcoming Models, Merch, & Rumors X

Discuss models, figures, Blu-rays and more.
Random_GM_Pilot

Re: Upcoming Models, Merch, & Rumors X

iKhaotic wrote:Call me uninformed, but question: What are the pros and cons of a RG kit? I've heard numerous things good and bad about them, some say they're PGs but in 1/144 scale and a quarter of the price, others say that they have less detail. Can anyone fill me in?

I'm a big fan of the CE designs and thinking of getting the Strike soon and maybe the Freedom also...
I have the RG Strike and enjoyed it for the most part. IMO, the rundown is thus:

Pros:
-Great attention to detail, especially the wings on the Aile pack and the gray protruding frame on the chest and legs
-Lots of well-hidden or nonexistant seamlines compared to the HG, esp. the head.
-Great range of movement

Cons
-Inexplicably wrongly-colored parts that need to be painted if you actually want it to look like it did in the anime (mostly parts that should be white but are light gray or off-white)
-The Aile striker connection is loose, at least on mine; had to glue it in place (not like I'd be switching packs anyway since I painted it as Strike Rouge)
-Decal vomit and stupid-looking foil stickers for "realistic detail" (What a joke. Mercifully, they can be entirely ignored, or at least applied with a degree of moderation in the case of decals.)

I don't have the RX-78-2 or Zaku RGs so I can't talk about the line as a whole from personal experience, but the first and last irritations in the Cons list seem to be a constant.
SHIHO: This is Codename “Background”. Codenames “Lenny” and “Carl” are suitably distracted. Begin the operation.
reeoyuy

Re: Upcoming Models, Merch, & Rumors X

Random_GM_Pilot wrote: -Inexplicably wrongly-colored parts that need to be painted if you actually want it to look like it did in the anime (mostly parts that should be white but are light gray or off-white)
It was designed that way. RG designs are not anime accurate (and never intend to), they took some liberty like making beam rifle for RX-78 and Strike has a white portion, or two tone color for the armor. If you use anime as reference, some parts are wrongly-colored. But comparing it to the manual or boxart of said RG, the parts are correctly-colored. This could be a pro for people who like variations, or con for people who want anime-accuracy.