Attention: Gundam Extreme Vs localization attempt

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Outlaw

Re: Attention: Gundam Extreme Vs localization attempt

Amadi Akintunde wrote:You hated his voice in that game? I liked it, when comparing it to the dub voice in the show. Sounded more natural.
Only Gato, he just didn't feel right. Though the old Zeon custom pilot's "Feel the wraith of the oppressed spacenoids!" was so bad it was hilarious.
AmuroNT1 wrote:And the thing about the music licensing is that it's not really an excuse. Every single Japanese Gundam game has the appropriate music, whether it's just BGMs or licensed songs from guys like T.M. Revolution. I admit I don't know about the details of DW:G's publishing, but I do know that games like Never-Ending Tomorrow also had the licensed music removed, so I'm blaming Bandai on this. Ignoring the fact that it's their own music, apparently they can't be bothered to shell out the extra money to show they actually care about doing things right.
I don't know the particulars but from what I'm getting it's along the same lines as why we don't get SRW games or why Tatsunoko vs Capcom was such a bear to release in the west. One company owns all the rights in Japan but in the west they are licensed out all over the place bla, bla, bla. It does seem to happen when multiple series appear in the same game as most single series games tend to keep the music (NET being at least one exception). As for the VAs I find most of them to be pretty passable, some of them might be pretty rough but I have heard waaaaaay worse, some in games that I really like.

In the end I think we just have differing views on at what point something is half-assed, for me cutting music falls short of earning that mark. Don't get me wrong though, I do agree that it sucks when things get cut. I would just rather have a western release sans music than no western release at all.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
LightningCount

AmuroNT1 wrote:Several Gundam actors have moved on and won't be returning (Domon's VA is a doctor now, Master Asia's VA is a Christian radio DJ, and Heero's is still acting but refuses to reprise the role thanks to fan backlash). Those are things that simply can't be helped...Just about the only replacement voice I've been okay with is Brian Drummond as Heero, and even that was kind of strange because he slips into his Zechs voice once or twice.
Mark Gatha is a doctor?! Wow. He was one of my favorite voice actors. Not only did he do a great job as Domon in G-Gundam, but he was the oh-so-cool Irvine from Zoids: Chaotic Century and Zoids Guardian Force, as well as the best English X voice in the last three Megaman X releases (Command Mission, X8, Maverick Hunter X PSP). In fact, he was the first English VA to really knock X's voice out of the park, IMO. I'd like to shake his hand and wish him well, though.

Master Asia being a Christian DJ was something he did before Zoids and G-Gundam, so if he was really inclined, he could theoretically come back. Who knows.

Mark Hildreth, it's a shame he had such a souring experience. If I recall, people constantly wanted him to talk mushy in Heero's voice toward the other Wing characters and talk about fan pairings at conventions, and then dissed him for being too "flat" as Heero (which I think is an exaggeration; he IS Heero for me, and subtle emotions do come out). For the record, he was very memorable as Terry Bogard in the top-notch Fatal Fury OVAs and film of the 90s by the latest SRW anime's Obari.

I wonder what Brian Drummond thought having to do Heero? Like was said, I think he slips into Zechs more than he should. I gotta give Brad Swaile credit for separating his Amuro, Quatre, and Setsuna voices by clear octaves.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Mu La Flaga

AmuroNT1 wrote:Funny thing, Gato in EiS was Ted Cole, AKA Wu Fei.

Also, to MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot: From what I can gather, Gundam Vs Zeta got a lowered score because 1) it wasn't different enough from Fed vs Zeon, and 2) the continuity made things a little hard on non-fans, especially in the UC Mode. And that's not even mentioning how UC Mode was kinda lazy at times (giving every AEUG pilot a nearly identical version of the Granada mission, for example). I think that had Alliance vs ZAFT or Gundam vs Gundam gotten released over here they would have gotten much better scores.
Even though part of the problem was that the score kind of killed off the series being released that or lower sales.

I mean it introduced awakening commands and transforming MSes, the SEED vs games was when the engne gt tweaked for the better, i think part of the problem was back then, the units were kind of clunky to get to move or dodge.

Especially worse so in space combat, I mean that is part of it too, that, they should have given more tutorials for spaces stages so peope wouldn't struggle on them.
Mark064

For music I imagine it's the same deal as with anime. Anime rights and music rights are two different issues. So I imagine it's the same with games, you have to pay extra money to use the music tracks which comes from the animes and I guess some companies just don't want to pay the costs and make their own music instead.
Roketto Panchii (ロケットパンチ) My robot anime blog. Mostly review-ish about old robot shows, for now.
AmuroNT1

Outlaw wrote:I don't know the particulars but from what I'm getting it's along the same lines as why we don't get SRW games or why Tatsunoko vs Capcom was such a bear to release in the west. One company owns all the rights in Japan but in the west they are licensed out all over the place bla, bla, bla. It does seem to happen when multiple series appear in the same game as most single series games tend to keep the music (NET being at least one exception). As for the VAs I find most of them to be pretty passable, some of them might be pretty rough but I have heard waaaaaay worse, some in games that I really like.
Well, it's not quite that. Using the SRW example, if any given game were to be licensed, then in addition to the people who actually made the show they would have to involve the companies that produced the English version. So you'd throw in people like Bandai, Viz, Funimation, and this of course doesn't get into series whose licensees have since gone out of business like ADV and Geneon.

(Also, one reason given for SRW is that Sony requires all US games to have English voice tracks, and it was considered prohibitively expensive to have to redub an entire SRW. But that's beside the point.)
LightningCount wrote:Mark Gatha is a doctor?!
I've variously heard people say he's a doctor, dentist, or pediatrician, so I'm not sure precisely what he's doing now beyond being some medical professional. But I agree, he was an excellent actor, and his interview with the Shuffle Alliance Shrine really gave the feeling that he was passionate about what he did, so his retirement is quite sad.
LightningCount wrote:Mark Hildreth, it's a shame he had such a souring experience. If I recall, people constantly wanted him to talk mushy in Heero's voice toward the other Wing characters and talk about fan pairings at conventions, and then dissed him for being too "flat" as Heero (which I think is an exaggeration; he IS Heero for me, and subtle emotions do come out).
I'll cop to being one of the people who trashed Mark's performance in the past, but the revelation that he was told to act that way made me feel pretty bad for saying so. Having heard him in other anime and seen him in live TV shows really proved that the guy can act, which makes it more the shame that he wasn't allowed to really act as Heero. And really, I can't fault the guy for getting sick of drooling fangirls who want him to massage their egos by saying "I love you Duo" and crap like that. Even the real nice guy voice actors like Scott McNeil and Vic Mignogna are starting to crack down on this sort of thing.
Mark064 wrote:For music I imagine it's the same deal as with anime. Anime rights and music rights are two different issues. So I imagine it's the same with games, you have to pay extra money to use the music tracks which comes from the animes and I guess some companies just don't want to pay the costs and make their own music instead.
That's what bugs me though, up until about Never-Ending Tomorrow this wasn't a problem. They brought over these games with everything intact, including all the licensed music (I was always especially fond of the special opening in Journey to Jaburo, complete with "Tobe! Gundam"). Around the time the anime failed, they decided not to put forth the same amount of effort. And my thought is, why should I give my money to a company that didn't do everything in its power to put out a quality product? I don't buy mediocre movie tie-ins like Thor just because I liked the movie involved, so why should Gundam be any different?
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Mu La Flaga

To me, Mark Hildreth still is Heero Yuy.
I believe as I once said to you Amuro, I would be curious to hear the voice director's answer.
Since acting as instructed/told,just seemed to bring mostly critsism for doing his job.
Because between Mark Hildreth and Hikaru Midorikawa, I can see where people don't like the dub performance much and Midorikawa is better, due to subtle emmotions he puts in.
But as I kind of figured, doesn't mean Mark, could not have done the same if given the chance.

Since from SEED, SEED Destiny, 00 it was all one guy doing those dubs for voice direction.

And as for fangirl yaoi crazed voice messages, I can't blame Scott or Vic getting a little weary of that.
Outlaw

AmuroNT1 wrote:(Also, one reason given for SRW is that Sony requires all US games to have English voice tracks, and it was considered prohibitively expensive to have to redub an entire SRW. But that's beside the point.)
Oh, don't get me started. That is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard, definitely worthy of an atomic facepalm. Though I think they have started relaxing that policy a bit as I'm pretty sure I've seen a western release with Japanese audio only. I just can't seem to remember it...

Funny enough, all this talk of the Vs series and crappy voice acting is making me want to dust off one of my old Gamecube favorites: Gotcha Force.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Mu La Flaga

Here is a fun example of relevance.
For a SRW entry, Alpha 3 had Macross DYRL, Plus and 7 and actually Fire Bomber's music tracks are notoriously expensive.

So it could factor in, in some cases
PhineBuyM3

"And really, I can't fault the guy for getting sick of drooling fangirls who want him to massage their egos by saying "I love you Duo" and crap like that. Even the real nice guy voice actors like Scott McNeil and Vic Mignogna are starting to crack down on this sort of thing."

I'm clueless here.
AmuroNT1

Mu La Flaga wrote:I believe as I once said to you Amuro, I would be curious to hear the voice director's answer.
Since acting as instructed/told,just seemed to bring mostly critsism for doing his job.
Because between Mark Hildreth and Hikaru Midorikawa, I can see where people don't like the dub performance much and Midorikawa is better, due to subtle emmotions he puts in.
But as I kind of figured, doesn't mean Mark, could not have done the same if given the chance.
Well, you'd have to ask the vocal director for his take, but I'm pretty sure "low on the totem pole" guys like voice directors don't do cons unless they have another role, like Liam O'Brian (who also voice acts, as Gaara and Lloyd Asplund among others).

And I've also heard stories that said Hildreth was less than enthusiastic about the role in other ways; reportedly, at one con Hikaru Midorikawa was thrilled to meet his American counterpart and gave Mark a Heero keychain, and Mark's response was a polite but disaffected "Thanks".
Mu La Flaga wrote:Here is a fun example of relevance.
For a SRW entry, Alpha 3 had Macross DYRL, Plus and 7 and actually Fire Bomber's music tracks are notoriously expensive.

So it could factor in, in some cases
That's a special case though, since Fire Bomber was "played" by an actual Japanese band, which adds another layer of licensing fees on top of everything else. Banpresto said they wanted to do vocal themes in Alpha 3, but the cost was too much so they went with instrumentals. In fact, it's been said that the Fire Bomber music would be just as much an obstacle to an American release as the insane Robotech rights battle.
PhineBuyM3 wrote:I'm clueless here.
Never been to an anime con? Some fans are incredibly rude and selfish thanks primarily due to a sense of entitlement usually coupled with a lack of understanding of personal space. The classic example is the fangirl who almost killed Greg Ayres by hitting him with a running glomp while he was at the top of a flight of stairs. In the specific instance I mentioned, Scott McNeil and Vic Mignogna voice incredibly popular characters (Duo Maxwell and Edward Elric respectively) and are, on top of that, extremely friendly and open guys who love to please the fans. The fact that those characters are popular amongst the yaoi community makes things worse, with said fans asking them to say or do things that validated their beliefs. If you want an example of how bad this can get, check out how much the Tsubasa fandom despises Vic simply because he said he doesn't think his character Fai is gay.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Mu La Flaga

I've heard of that keychain story also.
Then again, I don't know when Hildreth had his bad experiences though on the other hand.
Darkerangel

Is it true that Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS is coming to the PS3 this holiday season?
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
quasadra

yeap, December 1st. in Japan at least. however, it wont have a English ver. anyway, so just import it. various web seller already have it available for preorder.
SD Gundam Capsule Fighter Online SEA IGN: 8bitNPC
2NA Fish

There's a slight problem with localising stuff like this: Many of the guys who want the game will already have imported by the time it's out.

Look at Blazblue. The most hardcore guys all had the Japanese copy already, so the local copies didn't sell as well as they should have.

Personally, I'm getting the Japanese copy the moment it hits. I like the idea of an English release, but I won't be buying it unfortunately.