Psychoframes and Gundam Pixie Dust

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Psychoframes and Gundam Pixie Dust

I've recently been playing through Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 and the story mode in the game posits that GN particles and Psychoframes would react to each other in some way. I don't think this is too far of a stretch given the fantastical things we've seen the psychoframes do in CCA and Unicorn and the laundry list of weird things that GN particles can do. What I'm wondering is, would something like the 00Raiser's Trans-Am burst really cause anything new to happen to a psychoframe or would it just be the same kind of Newtype mind-space thingie we've seen before?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
toysdream

Re: Psychoframes and Gundam Pixie Dust

Perhaps a bit of a spoiler here for Gundam Unicorn, so let's tag it...
Spoiler
In the second half of the Unicorn novel series, we learn that when two psycho-frames come into contact, they resonate to create a special area of space called a "psycho-field" in which human thoughts are manifested as physical energy. Within this field, the laws of physics become somewhat malleable - thus the inexplicable redirection of Axis in Char's Counterattack - and people can sense each other's thoughts, including the thoughts of random bystanders. For example, while the Unicorn is dueling the Banshee in Australia, Audrey jumps out of an airplane and begins a 5000-meter free fall. The dueling Gundams have meanwhile generated a psycho-field between them, which picks up Audrey's thoughts and allows Banagher to catch her before she goes splat.

From what I recall of the psycho-field stuff in the novels, it does seem quite a lot like the quantum space created by the Trans-Am burst. The psycho-field specifically requires two resonating psycho-frames to create it - it's not something a psycho-frame mobile suit could generate all by itself - so the notion that a psycho-frame could resonate with a GN drive to create a kind of Newtype mind-space seems like a reasonably cute game mechanic. :-)

Looking at the example of the 00 Raiser and its Twin Drive system, one begins to wonder if it would be possible to build a UC mobile suit with two separate psycho-frames that could resonate with each other to generate a psycho-field. The Double Unicorn, perhaps, but would that be written "W Gundam" or "WC Gundam"?
-- Mark
reeoyuy

So what's correct spelling for that system? Psycoframes, psychoframes, or psycho-frames? I've seen people using psyco without h since it's short of "psychic communication". But Psycho Gundam that used psyco/psychommu is using psycho with h on HGUC boxart. And since psyco/psychommu is precursor of PF then naming convention for them should be the same, or maybe not. I'm confused.
mcred23

Gundam Official says psyco-frame, but I don't think the exact spelling matters that much. People still use older/incorrect translations of character or MS names from time to time, so why should something like the psyco-frame be any different? 8)
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
reeoyuy

Well, I always used psyco without h. It's just that the name used on HGUC Psycho Gundam box that confused me. Maybe naming convention for that huge gundam is not related to psycommu technology; or it's just another mistake on their gunpla department.
Dark Duel

GO also gives its name as "Psyco Gundam", so IMO it's a typo on the box.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
toysdream

Not much consistency to be found on the Japan side, really. In the case of Gundam Unicorn, the studio preferred "psycho-frame," and I can rationalize it by saying it's related to psycho-waves rather than the psycommu system. :-)

-- Mark
HalfDemonInuyasha

Could also explain a bit more to the psyco-frame overloading at the end of CCA? Besides simply the will of so many people.

The Nu Gundam's and Sazabi's psyco-frame cockpits trying to create a field together (I mean, Amuro did keep Char's cockpit instead of tossing it to another MS to take back to the Ra Cailum or something), but simply not being enough (compared to full-bodied psyco-frame MS) and, coupled with the will of so many people, burst and all the energy creating some sort of field that allowed Axis to be moved or something?
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
nacho-wan

@HalfDemonInuyasha
Remember that full body psycoframes were the new thing on UC 96; Sazabi and the Nu only had psycoframes in their cockpits.

I suppose that the resonance effect is not based on the size of the objets rather than the mere existance of them. That why Chan's T piece was able to communicate her desease to Amuro at a considerable distance.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
HalfDemonInuyasha

I know...I said that, lol.

"The Nu Gundam's and Sazabi's psyco-frame cockpits trying to create a field together (I mean, Amuro did keep Char's cockpit instead of tossing it to another MS to take back to the Ra Cailum or something), but simply not being enough (compared to full-bodied psyco-frame MS)"
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
Arbiter GUNDAM

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe Quantum brainwaves and the Psyco-waves that Newtypes emit, might just be one and the same? Well, almost.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
toysdream

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:I know...I said that, lol.

"The Nu Gundam's and Sazabi's psyco-frame cockpits trying to create a field together (I mean, Amuro did keep Char's cockpit instead of tossing it to another MS to take back to the Ra Cailum or something), but simply not being enough (compared to full-bodied psyco-frame MS)"
But they did create a psycho-field, and one powerful enough to move Axis - perhaps thanks to the sheer number of onlookers contributing their own thoughts. So like nacho-wan says, the actual size of the psycho-frames doesn't seem to matter.

-- Mark
Imperial

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe Quantum brainwaves and the Psyco-waves that Newtypes emit, might just be one and the same? Well, almost.
Different continuities, universes, physics-bending rules, etc.

Sure, games like Dynasty Warriors Gundam and Super Robot Wars might like to link them, but these are the only places these two totally separate continuities are expected to agree on anything. Working backward to apply a SRW-styled explanation to two separate works won't really get you anywhere because they weren't meant to work in concert like that.
This space for rent