Macross Plus: Isamu's Soar

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
tehprognoob

Macross Plus: Isamu's Soar

Okay, assuming you watched Macross Plus, you've seen Isamu's fight with Guld over past injuries. When Guld pelted Isamu with missiles, which exploded under the VF-19. Isamu evaded death by doing a sort of soar maneuver where he killed the engines and let the fighter be carried along by the explosion. I'm sure that there was more to it than that. What do you think were some of the maneuvers involved in doing that?
Faithful soldier of the Hatsune Miku Scout Force

azrael

Re: Macross Plus: Isamu's Soar

Besides kill the engines, drop decoy chaff/flares, and positioned the fighter and the ailerons to obtain maximum lift????
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
valkyriepilot

azrael wrote:Besides kill the engines, drop decoy chaff/flares, and positioned the fighter and the ailerons to obtain maximum lift????
i don't remember isamu dropping/releasing decoys/chaffs/flares though, but yeah, killing the engine made him "invisible" to the missiles, and manipulating the control surfaces for maximum lift made the YF-19 avoid the worst of the missile "fratricide".
tehprognoob

I seem to remember Guld copying the move--killing engines, gliding through the air--with Isamu when the two made up.

Seraphic
Location: Inside the barrel of Wing Zero's left Buster Rifle.

What they did was ride a column of rising air like that giant bird that Isamu is such a fan of. Isamu is apparently very in tune with the wind and could find the column in a pinch.
"Red particles are bad, they mutate you into... dead? But green/blue particles are good, apparently, for reasons and for purposes yet to be determined. Isn't science sometimes nicely color-coded?"
-Antares

GW: The Sword . Sera's Art . Gameplay . The Lost Citadel
tehprognoob

ib4 plot hole: column of air right under the missiles
Or did the missiles themselves CREATE the blast of hot air?
EDIT: riding on air currents is something practiced by many birds. I suppose that would work

Red Zaku

tehprognoob wrote:ib4 plot hole: column of air right under the missiles
Or did the missiles themselves CREATE the blast of hot air?
EDIT: riding on air currents is something practiced by many birds. I suppose that would work

There's always a natural air current, while the missiles could have generated an upward rush of air the allowed for the lift that gave Isamu the ability to climb, the the air current itself was there already.
"I'M THE CRIMSON LIGHTNING DAMNIT!" - Johnny Ridden
Wingnut

I'm inclined to believe that it was the gust of air rather then any explosive consussion. Even when Plus was made, air to air missiles used what is known as a Continuous-rod warhead which puts out a lot of shrapnel rods that would have made one heck of a mess of the bottom of the YF-19 if Isamu was using only them to give him the boost he got.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
zerogradius

Wingnut wrote:I'm inclined to believe that it was the gust of air rather then any explosive consussion. Even when Plus was made, air to air missiles used what is known as a Continuous-rod warhead which puts out a lot of shrapnel rods that would have made one heck of a mess of the bottom of the YF-19 if Isamu was using only them to give him the boost he got.
In addition to what you said, Guld also rode the wind like Isamu did, so the explosion could not have been the direct cause.