Ep. 081 - An Englishman in King Arthur's Court, Revisited

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 081 - An Englishman in King Arthur's Court, Revisited

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 081 - "An Englishman in King Arthur's Court, Revisited"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 132 min., 36 sec. (2:12:36) - 60.7 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:39:20 (Duration: 0:38:37)

03. Judau & the Junkyard Kids! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 0:39:20 - 0:40:09 (Duration: 0:00:49)

04. Method to Madness (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:40:09 - 0:40:54 (Duration: 0:00:45)

05. 1st Segment: "The State of the Gundamnation: Marketing Gundam Outside Japan - Revisited, Gundam the Origin Animated & the Gundam Anime Expo 2011 Panel"
Runtime: 0:40:54 - 1:22:16 (Duration: 0:41:22)

06. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:22:16 - 1:23:22 (Duration: 0:01:06)

07. SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:23:22 - 1:24:12 (Duration: 0:00:50)

08. 2nd Segment: "Give or Take! Your Favorite Anime Series - With or Without Mecha!" (Discussion)
Runtime: 1:24:12 - 1:58:37 (Duration: 0:34:25)

09. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:58:37 - 1:59:16 (Duration: 0:00:39)

10. "The Ballad of JoJo" by Garma Strikes!
Runtime: 1:59:16 - 2:02:33 (Duration: 0:03:17)

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:02:33 - 2:12:36 (Duration: 0:10:03)

With the tidal wave of announcements at Anime Expo during the holiday weekend, we engage in several roundtable discussions this episode. First, we get down to business as we talk about Bandai's Gundam Panel at Anime Expo, revisit their approach about marketing Gundam outside of Japan, and finally touch upon the recent revelation about the anime adaptation of Gundam the Origin. In the second segment, we return to "Candyland" and rap about what Anime Series that we would add Mecha to and/or which ones we'd remove from them!

Peep the Links we mentioned at the end of Episode:
- Laplace's Box: Episode 001 - Gundam AGE
- Chaos Theater: Episode 008 - Star Driver
- Anime Festival Orlando: Fan Panels - "So You Want to Start Your Own Anime Podcast?"

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode
- Coming Soon!

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios

Sponsors & Special Offers:
PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
Matthew Grawbadger

Re: Ep. 081 - An Englishman in King Arthur's Court, Revisite

Soulbro, it's Zaltzman with a Z, not Saltz-man! here's an easy way to spank that zed for all it's worth. I've been listening for years, you may have missed some of these.

-in the man's own words, 2008 I think-

"Zaltor the pitiless, Emperor of all things"

Or indeed "The Thunderzalt"

He puts all our fake names to shame.

Sorry, I don't want to seem like an arsehole, but this man is simply too special. Have you seen a picture of him? Google immediately. 18th Century composer hair in an staggering clown ginger.

Adequate show, well done and thanks.

Love to see Full Metal Panic without robots, just to watch them try to justify Blondie MacSniper concealing and shifting a howitzer on Third World battlefields. I love ludicrous robot snipers.

Roll on Gundam AGE.
Hyakushiki

Speaking of shows with mecha added, imagine this.

Revolutionary Girl Utena with Knightmare Frames or Code Geass: Utena of The Revolution.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
gundamtype0

Another great podcast guys.

I own one of the other four copies of Zone of the Enders Second Runner.

As for adding mecha to a show, how about Outlaw Star? That show already had grappler ships so transforming ships would be the next logical step.
Mu La Flaga

Okay so was kind of interesting episode all around.

And on the whole thing of how Bandai&Sunrise have managed Gundam outside of America it is true it needs a bunch of changes or someone different who understands other cultures.
Like Shinichiro Watanabe as mentioned, I would like to see him direct a Gundam series actually.

Also Neo take numbe 1 Chris fan and swap my name with Hawk of Endymion and swa Chris with Ikeda and you get number 1 Ikeda fan, Hawk of Enymion :P

As for a series that springs to mind where you could maybe add or remove mechs.
Here is one I have, Gun X Sword, it just depends how much you need to rewrite for it.
BloodKnight

gundamtype0 wrote:Another great podcast guys.

I own one of the other four copies of Zone of the Enders Second Runner.

As for adding mecha to a show, how about Outlaw Star? That show already had grappler ships so transforming ships would be the next logical step.
I also own one of the four other copies of ZOE 2. Only 2 more out there.

Anyways loved this episode. Very interesting topics this time around.
Mu La Flaga

On a note I forgot to say in my original post.
I forgot to add, nice to know you guys plan to do something on the Transformers movie/s in future :P

As for podcasts listen to.
Gundamn@MAHQ, Chaos Theatre, FTS and Level 9, Voiceprint with Trevor Devall and Guests, Anime Snacktime the podcast of www.madman.com.au and Tomocast just recently.

That is pretty much it for podcasts.
hotlimit

Man, every time I hear someone mention Kai Ryssdal, I'm reminded of one of two things - 1) How that sounds like a freakin' sci-fi character's name, 2) The time I had a high-fever induced nightmare about him secretly being a terrorist.

On the topic of reviving Gundam in America, I like Chris's theory about how Gundam Wing was more popular because it had main characters playing the aggressor, but I've always had my own theory based on having been in the middle of Wing-mania:

When Gundam Wing aired in America, I WAS the target market.* Like the perfect age where even the most strict parents wouldn't get on your butt about watching violent cartoons, but still young enough to want to buy all the toys and junk. I think the biggest part of the 'perfect storm' that made Wing successful is that it was seen as the next big thing after Dragon Ball Z, which was just finishing up when Wing aired. Every week I'd go to school and hear kids talking about, "Oh man, did you see so and so shoot the giant laser! It was like, blah, blah, blah *KAPLOW*", which is exactly how kids had been talking about DBZ for the previous 3-4 years.

For the majority of people, it was just the next giant laser show from Japan, but this time with robots and a serious plot that reached just beyond ZOMG the world is in danger!! The mid-season upgrades were akin to Goku going Super Saiyan 2 or whatever. You had a new enemy faction all the time, so it almost played out like the DBZ enemy arcs, except with 200 less episodes and a broadcast time of under a year.

*Full disclosure: I never got to see Wing, or the majority of DBZ until about 2 years ago because I didn't have cable when they aired. This is mostly based on what people were talking about at school every day.

So, in my opinion if they wanted to revive Gundam to Wing levels of popularity, they would need another 'stimulus' anime or fad to lead into it. For example, Gundam AGE would have been perfect had it been released in the thick of the Pokemon/Digimon craze (not to say that Pokemon isn't still outrageously popular, but there are too many copycats and clones now for something new to come out of the blue and be equally successful).

Also, I can't speak for the whole of Canada, but when I lived there (this was long after Wing) everyone was madly in love with Seed. I don't know if MSG ever aired in Canada, but everyone was treating Seed as the revival of 'that awesome Wing series'. I defer to DestinyGundam for clarification.

--------------

Anyway, my only thoughts on Gundam: The Origin are that it might be interesting if they did movies of it. And yeah, I know we already have 3 perfect MSG movies, but we're already in Candyland with The Origin being animated.
Mekton GM

If you were to give anyone from Babylon 5 a mecha it would have to Susan Ivanova. And I know the mecha to give her - God Gundam, because Ivanova is GOD
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
kayone73

Great episode and roundtable discussion, reminds me of some of the older eps.

I'm glad SBR mentioned the Code Geass manga because that is one show I wonder how different the story would be removed all the NMFs. I suspect not a whole lot when you look at what the core story is about.
wielder

kayone73 wrote: I'm glad SBR mentioned the Code Geass manga because that is one show I wonder how different the story would be removed all the NMFs. I suspect not a whole lot when you look at what the core story is about.
If we're going by the manga, then it certainly doesn't work out too well. That adaptation also removed some characters and generally compressed everything while still trying to tell more or less the same story within a shorter amount of time. The result? It feels a bit rushed and not nearly as interesting nor as exciting, for that matter. Even though the mecha aren't essential to the core story, or at least not in theory, they do play a role in supporting the scale of events and providing some context. If you remove that, you're left with a void which should be filled with something else: tanks, planes, etc. The manga...mostly quietly ignores the issue, which makes everything feel more than a little weird in that area.

Granted, perhaps a different manga creator would have done a better job or it just needed more volumes in order to make the best out of a non-mecha version of the narrative.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
kayone73

I liked the inclusion of SBR's 'edit' of the English dub Howard Mason death scene at the end of the podcast. yes I was dissapointed with the english dialogue version as well.
NastyNate

We can see Bandai and Sunrises USA marketing by the total lack of advertisement for Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. I would not have found out about that game if I had not sought it out myself.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
Mekton GM

I know this is a bit hoper and dreamer but do you guys think that if they're trying to revitalize gundam world wide that they'd release the newer Gundam Wing material like Glory of the Defeated and Frozen Teardrop seeing as wing is one of the more popular series internationaly?
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
Vent Noir

The discussion about the attitude toward war in America versus Japan was interesting. In Australia, we were on the winning sides in WWI and WWII, but we don't really have the same gung-ho attitude about it, perhaps due to our first major engagement being the Gallipolli campaign, which was a massive disaster. So our attitude seems to be along the lines of "getting the job done in the face of diversity", with a healthy dose of "Look how the Poms shafted us, again." (Which was not helped by the situation in WWII, when the British insisted on having Australian troops fight in Europe rather than defend their home country)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
jcncasval76

Did Batman get his mecha on "Batman/Superman: Public Enemies"? too bad he had to smash that into a massive Krytonite.

forgot one other thing, Radio Free Cybertron podcast had done their reviews last week.

lastly, if I recall correctly, Chris mentioned on the first Chaos Theater that iTunes needs 5 episodes before being listed in iTunes Library. Am I correct?
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
NastyNate

Mekton GM wrote:I know this is a bit hoper and dreamer but do you guys think that if they're trying to revitalize gundam world wide that they'd release the newer Gundam Wing material like Glory of the Defeated and Frozen Teardrop seeing as wing is one of the more popular series internationaly?
I would like that statement if there was an option like in facebook! :wink:

Oh and Gundamn crew. Great ep. I don't know however if I would trust an American animator with a new Gundam anime. Not after seeing the horrible animation that we get on cartoon and disney channel these days. They would really have to get an old veteran from the good old days. :shock: Oh snap how about that Gendy T. guy that made Samurai Jack. He would be perfect.

Also show that needs mechs: Star Trek.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ
kayone73

NastyNate wrote:
Mekton GM wrote:
Oh and Gundamn crew. Great ep. I don't know however if I would trust an American animator with a new Gundam anime. Not after seeing the horrible animation that we get on cartoon and disney channel these days. They would really have to get an old veteran from the good old days. :shock: Oh snap how about that Gendy T. guy that made Samurai Jack. He would be perfect.

I think they were talking about 'American production company' handling the direction, writing, etc, but still have animation farmed out to anime studio, a la Afro Samurai, which was a joint JP-US production having japanese and american writers, directors but the animation all being done by GONZO.
Chris
Administrator

kayone73 wrote:
NastyNate wrote:
Mekton GM wrote:

I think they were talking about 'American production company' handling the direction, writing, etc, but still have animation farmed out to anime studio, a la Afro Samurai, which was a joint JP-US production having japanese and american writers, directors but the animation all being done by GONZO.
Yes, this is precisely what I said.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
ZeonicFreak

Going to the question about mechs in other anime, for Initial D theres only one mech I could think of that Takumi could drift around anything and that might be the Scopedog for the wheels at the bottom of the feet. I could also see a yellow painted Scopedog with the Red Suns sticker on it by Keiske Takahashi.

And another anime I gotta wonder how even more awesome the show would be with mechs is Fist of the North Star. Instead of the battle between Raoh and Ken fighting bare fisted, it would be them in mechs.
HALP! IM TRAPPED IN THE YEAR 2000 WITH ALL OF THIS ANIME, WOULD SOMEONE LISTEN TO MY PLEA!!!! - http://animeofyesteryear.blogspot.com/