The Power Rangers/Super Sentai/Tokusatsu thread

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
Kenji

Re: The Power Rangers/Super Sentai/Tokusatsu thread

Caught up with Gokaiger.
Spoiler
Spent two episodes staring at Gai and going, "Seriously? This is our sixth ranger?"

Then I lol'ed when Marvelous basically said that Gai's quality-that-which-he-did-not-possess-himself was his enormous stupidity. :)

Also, am I the only one who thinks it curious that Gai got his powers from the evil rangers? They could totally make something of that... or maybe not.

Also, I really dig the Gojuujin. Since I started with the Sabanized Zyuranger, like every other American my age, it brought a ton of nostalgia along with it. It certainly helps that it's actually a decent design, unlike most of the Super Sentai giant robots in the last... ten years?
Oh, and then I watched an episode of Power Rangers Samurai and went "Seriously? This is our sixth ranger?" all over again.

It was magical.
"This is the truth! This is my belief. At least for now."
Sume Gai

http://atopfourthwall.blogspot.com/2011 ... ngers.html

new HOPR for those interested, Dino Thunder this time
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
reeoyuy

Yesterday I gave OOO a try, pretty impressive and I like those Greed monster, looks like each of them have interesting personality. But I hold it since I have sudden urge to watch Agito again. For me Agito is the last gimmickless Heisei rider; nothing wrong with fancy gimmicks but there's something heroic on rider that just rely on brute strength.

Speaking of Kamen Rider, the next rider, Fourze is coming very soon. What do you guys think about this cone-head, space-borne rider?
Raiden

Fourze is actually pretty good so far. Has nice plays on High School life, and i like the premise of the Astral Switches. They are the Gaia Memories of Fourze.

I loved OOO's premise but the ending overall imho, was terrible.
Spoiler
-Kougami's goals were never really developed beyond what people were expecting
-lack of a connection with Foundation X
-Movie War Core being another disaster (save for W's half like in Movie Wars 2010), OOO's half not even fitting in with the show at all.
-No true Final form for OOO, PuToTyranno was just too bulky and bizzare looking to me.
Mu La Flaga

I know this thread has been quiet for a while.
BUT is anyone out there interested in getting this when it comes out?

http://timelife.com/products/power-rang ... zWeTd9Dv2w

I would if I had the money on hand for it myself.
Khandri

...Wow, you guys had a PR/toku thread all this time and I never knew about it? I've been a fan of PR since it started, and I've been a fan of sentai for at least ten years now as well (I made an unexpectedly popular fan video ten years ago).

That DVD box set? Totally want it, and I seriously wish I'd put in my preorder while I was still employed and had a steady income. Maybe I can still finagle something. If I can manage to go to Power Morphicon (the only official PR convention) in California next month, I'm sure I can do something about this too.

Since it's been a long time since this thread has been active...what are everyone's thoughts on the news about the upcoming "Megaforce" series? It seems that the first 20 episodes of it are going to be based on Goseiger, and and now as of this past weekend, it's been revealed that the second half (apparently called "Ultra Megaforce" *facepalm*) will be Gokaiger-based. Honestly, given how dreadful I've found Samurai/Super Samurai to be (I could probably write a novel on everything I think is wrong with it), I don't have a lot of confidence that this is going to be any good. I absolutely adored Gokaiger, and to know that it's going to get this kind of treatment doesn't give me a lot of hope. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I'm not going to hold my breath either.
That wacky Gundam X fangirl (yes, girl) the fandom warned you about...
SlowTurtle

Haven't seen PR since PR: SPD but damn did I love my pR back in the day. Anyone remeber VR Troopers?
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
--Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: Generations
Khandri

I really enjoyed VR Troopers myself. It was similar enough to PR to satisfy me, but different enough that it didn't feel like a PR clone either. I question their using a few different Metal Hero shows to pull it all together, but somehow, it worked. It's one of the other Saban series that's getting a US DVD release alongside PR, and it's something I hope to add to my collection soon enough.

I also find it amusing that the actress who played Kaitlin, Sarah Brown, eventually went on to an award-winning career in soap operas (following a one-off guest appearance in PR). I don't even know what the other cast members are up to these days.
xaos

Wow, so there was a toku thread here all along?

Since it was asked, Khandri, what I feel about Megaforce so far is that I'm actually pretty happy with what Saban is doing. They're going to basically make their own story out of Goseiger and probably make me more interested in Megaforce than I was in Goseiger.

Funny thing about Super Megaforce, ever since it was announced that they would call the next Power Rangers "Megaforce" I had a very strong feeling that they were going to do something similar to Zeo, and it looks like I was pretty much right. Now of course I don't know what exactly they are going to do but I have a feeling that the rangers will lose their powers at the end of the first season and they'll have to look for a new power and that new power will be their Goseiger suits. Perhaps they get defeated and with their power gone have to scavenge parts and the like and because their scavengers they use a pirate motif.

Oh, I used to love VR Troopers back in the day. Did any you hear the news that season 1 will be coming out on DVD? Along with season 1 of Beetleborgs?
Mu La Flaga

I never heard that.
Is timelife also getting those as exclusives or what?
xaos

It's fairly recent news. Actually both of those box sets aren't exclusive you can even pre-order them on Amazon. Well, that's what I'm sure of for the U.S anyway.
Kenji

The way I see it, any strains of multi-season continuity is a good thing for Power Rangers. Continuity strengthens fandom by giving them a sequence of events to order and details to discuss. I don't think there's any doubt that the MMPR through in Space arc was the strongest and most memorable of the Power Rangers set. It kept me interested, an interest that promptly fell away when the resets began when Lost Galaxy gave way to whatever came next.

And honestly, since what I've seen of recent Super Sentai doesn't really hook me as well as the 90s shows did, I can't see anything other than an upside. Combine that with original stories and Saban might rebuild their phenomenon. Wouldn't that be something? :)

Hell, if the rumors of Saban trying to show that Legend War that Gokaiger only vaguely referred to are true, that might actually get me to watch Mega Force. Best case, that'd be straight-up outdoing the Japanese showrunners! Has that ever really happened before?

As for me, I've been completely disinterested in Go-Busters... but totally entranced by Akibaranger. So much fun! :D
Sume Gai

"Has that ever really happened before?"

Well it depends somewhat one one's tastes but having seen RPM and bits and pieces of Go-Onger I think the Power Rangers version, with a much more serious tone and excellent story telling is the better of the two shows.

In toku news Fourze is drawing to a close and quite frankly has been an absolute blast. I was particularly fond of Virgos final bit and the absolutely devastating first battle with Sagitarious. I look forward to these last few episodes.

I must also admit, I genuinely loved Wizard's design on first sight something that hasn't been true since W.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Mu La Flaga

xaos wrote:It's fairly recent news. Actually both of those box sets aren't exclusive you can even pre-order them on Amazon. Well, that's what I'm sure of for the U.S anyway.
Well I may have to make some imports in time, because my DVD player is region unlocked, so that is no issue for me at all :P
Raiden

Kenji wrote:
Hell, if the rumors of Saban trying to show that Legend War that Gokaiger only vaguely referred to are true, that might actually get me to watch Mega Force. Best case, that'd be straight-up outdoing the Japanese showrunners! Has that ever really happened before?

As for me, I've been completely disinterested in Go-Busters... but totally entranced by Akibaranger. So much fun! :D
Meh wouldn't be as epic as the Legend War imo given how the amount of Rangers will only be about roughly half of what Super Sentai has since Saban never adapted anything Pre-Zyu. Plus its just gonna be odd seeing Tommy using 4 different powers at the same time -__- or for that matter any of the Rangers that had more than one power.

If anybody watches Metal Heroes, Space Sheriff Gavan is getting a brand new movie this October! Hopefully the new Gavan he's training doesn't replace him permanently though.

Also can't wait to see Super Hero Taisen even though it most likely will be a big wtf like the earlier Kamen Rider Movie Wars and Decade itself.
SlowTurtle

I was think on this the other while going through Netflix and I found Bettlebrogs lol now thta brings back the days of my youth lol
"Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again."
Khandri

I don't know...maybe it's just me, but I feel like one of the only PR/Ameri-toku fans who didn't like Beetleborgs at all. I didn't care for the kid factor, and the thing with the haunted house and the related supporting characters did nothing for me. In fact, the haunted house characters often annoyed me to no end. The "comic book characters come to life" concept was a neat one, yes, but I feel like the execution wasn't that great.

Maybe it was because by the time it first came out, I was in high school already and couldn't exactly relate to kid characters the way I could relate to the teenaged/young adult characters of Power Rangers and VR Troopers. I'm not sure. All I know is that I've never understood the appeal.

The irony with the kid thing? I didn't mind Justin in Turbo, and I was 17 when that was first on. He seemed realistic and was more than capable of keeping up with the rest of the characters. But virtually ever PR fan I've run across hated the poor kid back then, and the hatred I often saw made him look more mature and adult than the grown-up fans themselves. Yet strangely, now that 15 years have passed and the actor is all grown up, these same fans who bashed the very idea of a kid Ranger are clamoring to have Justin return to PR, or make a guest appearance at the very least.
Kenji

Nah, you're not alone. Beetleborgs didn't do it for me, either.

That said, those latex panel suits (or whatever they're made of) were pretty damn boss. I wish more Sentai suits (like Akiba) used that kind of slickness... without getting as ugly/beefy as the Power Rangers the Movie suits (gold star for the attempt, not the execution).

Though, they'd probably be hot as hell, so I can understand them not being used. They're still cool, though...
SlowTurtle

Well at 27 years of age I started watching PR again on netflix an my oh my how much fun it is to see the green ranger going from evil to good was. Man the DragonZord was awesome... reminds me of mecha godzilla for some reason lol.
UC Fan Xman

Raiden wrote: I loved OOO's premise but the ending overall imho, was terrible.
Spoiler
-Kougami's goals were never really developed beyond what people were expecting
-lack of a connection with Foundation X
-Movie War Core being another disaster (save for W's half like in Movie Wars 2010), OOO's half not even fitting in with the show at all.
-No true Final form for OOO, PuToTyranno was just too bulky and bizzare looking to me.
Well, it was probably due to the fact that they had to change production staff. But, I think that Eiji character development was actually well-written. Same for Ankh. Now, if they had stick with the same crew in the early episodes, it would have been a little dull and pail. At least Movie Wars Megamax made up for the abomination known as Movie Wars Core.