U.C. Beam Colors.

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
BunionClad

U.C. Beam Colors.

Have you ever wondered as I have why the EFSF, and AEUG had pink colored beam sabers and rifle shots while Zeon, Titans, Axis, and they have yellow colored beams. Also I'm not mistaking bullets as yellow beams.

Is there a technical explanation based on the actual equipment or was this just aesthetically used to tell you if an ally or enemy is shooting at you?
Cardi Doorl

Re: U.C. Beam Colors.

I'd suggest reviewing some of these old threads: 1, 2, 3, and those are just the first three I found in a quick cursory search. All three are pretty short, and while they aren't asking the exact question you're asking, the responses do answer it.

In short, though, your second guess is right - it's purely animation aesthetic with no technical explanation or anything like that.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Arbiter GUNDAM

As a side-note, of the colors I've seen in animated works, there have been pink, red, green, yellow, orange, gold and blue, though I can't quite remember where I've seen the blue before. That sound about right? Have there ever been purple beams?
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
AmuroNT1

IIRC, the first animated appearance of blue beams is CCA, with Sazabi's funnels. The Delta Plus also has blue beams in Unicorn, but the most famous usage is...well, pretty much everything from Sentinel, at least as depicted in the G Generation series.

As for purple, I don't think there have ever been any.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
mcred23

The Gelgoog's twin beam sword is also sometimes shown being blue. In the MSG movies, IIRC, it switches between blue and yellow at times (Almost from shot to shot), but in the flashback scene in CCA, it's shown only as blue.

And yeah, I can't recall a purple beam in any UC show either.
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Black Knight

Purple Beams are clearly waiting in the wings until Samuel L. Jackson agrees to do a Gundam voice.
JEFFPIATT

mcred23 wrote:The Gelgoog's twin beam sword is also sometimes shown being blue. In the MSG movies, IIRC, it switches between blue and yellow at times (Almost from shot to shot), but in the flashback scene in CCA, it's shown only as blue.

And yeah, I can't recall a purple beam in any UC show either.
that is due to the Texas fight having the Gyan edited out they kept the footage of the gundam blocking the gyans beam saber but animated new footage making a longer fight between chars gelgoog and the gundam and removing the gyan fight to make the old reaction shots work the new footage changed the gelgoog beam saber to straight yellow blades while recycled tv footage keeps the simatar shaped blue beam blades on the gelgoog.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Black Knight wrote:Purple Beams are clearly waiting in the wings until Samuel L. Jackson agrees to do a Gundam voice.
You would have thought Scirrocco would have had some. It would have complimented his hair!!

--Freyja Wion
JEFFPIATT

I always thought the beam colors were like tracer rounds they all you to id witch side fired/wielded the beam in question. Generally the gundams have an color for there beams and the sides have the general grunt colors. I do beleve that the beam color is used the same was the tracer rounds are used in real life. it allows the pilot to figure out if there avoiding friendly or hostile fire. in MSG Zimmiad beam sabers were yellow and zeonic sabers were blue. and the Federation had red beams. in real life they have the same reasioning so we can figure out who fired what beam.
mcred23

It varies from show to show to the point you can't really rely on the tracer comparison. Some, like Victory, are fairly consistant (Zanscare usually shoot yellow, League Militaire mainly pink), but others aren't. In Zeta, for example, we see both pink and yellow beams pretty often, inspite of the fact that 99% of the weapons being used are Federation units, and by the tracer logic, should only fire one color of beam. There are cases in ZZ were both sides are firing yellow beams. That is repeated in CCA, where the Geara Dogas and Jegans are also firing yellow beams (The Jegans continue to in F91, as do the other EFSF units, while the Crossbones shoot pink), which can be explained as both of those designs (And really everything else in CCA) are built by AE, but the Nu Gundam's funnels fire pink beams, and it's already been pointed out the Sazabi funnels fire blue ones, and both of those are also Anaheim machines.

So really, it's all a giant mess. Plus, I do feel the need to point out that both Federation and Zeon machine guns use yellow tracers, so even in the case of real tracers in the shows, they can't help you tell who fired what. :P
I must betray Stalindog!!!

RPG TRINARY: Mash
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: mcred23 (Call me 'red', not 'mcred')
Black Knight

Firearms also don't generally use different colored tracers. Back in the day of big-gun naval warships different ships would use a different dye color to allow observation of the fall of their shells, but the colors were still pretty generic and could be repeated between ships.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Remembered where I saw blue beam sabers. The Hi-Nu Gundam in Gunpla Builders had them. And the ELS had purple beams in Trailblazer saw that pretty much covers the lightsaber color palette! :)

--Freyja Wion