SRW OG: Mugen no Frontier EXCEED

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.

should SRW OG: Mugen no Frontier EXCEED (if it can, which it can't) come to America?

Yes
70%
No
10%
It never will...
20%

Total votes: 10
the Gatekeeper
Location: The Endless Illusion, a paradise for fools. A place for lost souls where savage dreams abound.

SRW OG: Mugen no Frontier EXCEED

I know there is a lot of Fan-boy controversy over the Endless Frontier (EXCEED and non-EXCEED), I want to hear everyone elses opinion, I personally think it to be rather clever (in a perverse way)and has a genius fighting system, so, what do you of oh fair Mecha talk think of this slightly debated series?
Last edited by the Gatekeeper on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Men, they're all idiots. All you have to do is wear something tight, wave your ass at them and they're yours."

-Suzuka Hime (Mugen no Frontier)

... Are we that predictable?
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Re: SRW OG: Mugen no Frontier EXCEED

Well it looks like there's no main topic (at least not any more) on this game series, so instead of making a while new thread I decided to post in a related thread.

I just managed to get ahold of a copy of the US version of Endless Frontier, but have run into a bit of a problem: I died. In the first dungeon. Third fight. >.> (not the boss) For some reason I can't get a grasp of the new fighting system, unless being unable to quickly dispose of your first random encounter enemies before they deal crippling damage to you is commonplace. >.>

Thus I thought that there must be some part of the combat system that I'm missing (though I read the in-game tutorial), so could somebody give me a rundown of how combat works in this game? Such as, is there some kind of "trick" to the combat system like cancelling an attack or building up COM to make more damaging combos, like how you store AP in Xenogears to to do more damage at once? (I so got stuck on the fight with Ramsus because I didn't know about storing AP for heavier combos in that game at first ^^b)
Sume Gai

this could be a tad hard to write out in text but here goes...

Basics:

Attacking: your standard option for battle is to attack with a preset series of attack patterns. once you select an enemy hit A to start the first attack and hit A again when you want to move on to the next attack. Each attack costs a certain amount of COM and you can continue to attack so long as you have enough com and have not used the five attacks that have been set.

Switching characters: If you have two characters slated to attack in a row (listed right below each other in the turn list on the bottom screen) you can swap directly from one character to the next without pause by pressing left on the D-pad. The character initiates their first attack automatically and the rest of the turn plays out just like any attack. (I believe there is a slight COM penalty for this but I still find it useful unless one needs to heal)

OverDrive: if your Frontier Gauge is full you can press Y during the attack stage to unleash a characters most devastating attack. it is preferable to finish a fight with this as it grants a 30% boost in EXP gained.

Tactics:

The keys to combat are to rack up a combo and building up your Frontier Gauge.

A combo is a series of hits which keeps your enemy airborne for as long as possible, as a combo goes longer and longer you will deal more damage because your critical rate rises 1% every 10 hits. The key to keeping a combo going is to properly time your switch from one attack to the next and the swapping in of a new character.

The other key is your "Frontier Gauge" which always starts at zero and then Rises to 100% as the battle continues. When if hits 100% you can hit Y during an attack phase to unleash a devastating, undodgable fishing move. Almost anything that happens in battle will cause this gauge to rise though one of the best ways to do this is to cancel your attacks at a proper time which nets you an extra ten percent for your F. Gauge (indicated by a green "F.Gauge+10%" on screen). Each attack pattern has a different point in which you can cancel to earn this bonus which is best discovered through trial and error.

Sometimes these two purposes contradict and you must decide which is more vital, Continuing the Combo or raising the F. Gauge. As a rule of thumb the former is more important in boss battles while the latter is best in Random encounters.

Other Notes:

-Focus on a single enemy at once, reducing enemy numbers is generally helpful in reducing the overall damage you take.
-Spirit commands, special attacks and items can only be used when starting a turn normally.
-As enemies get stronger they will have a guard you must break to get start a combo and will eventually be able to counterattack if you drop you combo.
"If You are a man you'll do what's important before you grieve" -Captain Harlock

"I like the SAGA. Its what Rambo would pilot if he was in Gundam 00" -Kylern
Saikuba

In addition to the above advice (which is all solid) I'll add two more tips:

Firstly, it is important to time your attacks so as to chain together combos. The further the enemy is in the air the less likely it is that your attacks will miss or be blocked. Additionally later in the game letting the enemy land could mean breaking his guard again or setting off a dreaded forced evasion. An important thing to note in this regard is that you can start the next attack before the current one has completely finished; this will skip some hits but may give you a better combo and better results. Continuing the combo into the next pc (which you can do as long as another character's turn is next) also helps in this regard.

I will also say that I found items to be more important in this game than many other rpgs. You will likely need to use healing items fairly frequently, especially if you don't have a party member with healing spirits.

As for the topic in general, I really enjoyed Endless Frontier, and should Exceed comes over I will probably preorder it. The fanservice in the series is a bit more than I usually like, but I found the joking atmosphere made it flow better into the game. I really enjoyed the combat system for making random encounters more than a "attack until enemies die" affair (though the combat system did make NewGame + pretty boring because you kill everything before racking up a nice combo). While it is a bit weird that this is a Super Robot Wars game, there's enough mythology references to keep me satisfied in that regard.

Unfortunately Exceed probably isn't going to come out over here. Bandai/Namco is notoriously difficult to work with in terms of licensing games. I also have the feeling that if Atlus had gotten the rights to the sequel, they would have mentioned something by now (I know that they often don't say anything until the game nears stateside release, but the game was released in Japan over a year ago). While the first game sold decently, the second game would do worse, and it's a risk to release anything for plain old DS now that 3DS is out. There might be some small possibility of it coming out over here, but if the newest Ace Attorney game can't make it over, I don't have a lot of hope for the far more niche Endless Frontier Exceed.
the Gatekeeper
Location: The Endless Illusion, a paradise for fools. A place for lost souls where savage dreams abound.

Shinji103 wrote:Well it looks like there's no main topic (at least not any more) on this game series, so instead of making a while new thread I decided to post in a related thread.

I just managed to get ahold of a copy of the US version of Endless Frontier, but have run into a bit of a problem: I died. In the first dungeon. Third fight. >.> (not the boss) For some reason I can't get a grasp of the new fighting system, unless being unable to quickly dispose of your first random encounter enemies before they deal crippling damage to you is commonplace. >.>

Thus I thought that there must be some part of the combat system that I'm missing (though I read the in-game tutorial), so could somebody give me a rundown of how combat works in this game? Such as, is there some kind of "trick" to the combat system like cancelling an attack or building up COM to make more damaging combos, like how you store AP in Xenogears to to do more damage at once? (I so got stuck on the fight with Ramsus because I didn't know about storing AP for heavier combos in that game at first ^^b)

well actually I believe that the first enimies you encounter at the Mai Teiria can be killed with 2 hits from Haken and 3 hits from Aschen
Oh and also the battles keep getting harder and harder (tip: there are 2 types of each item Kagura amahara herbal stuff and lost herencia new age stuff. since you can only carry 15 of each item get both types and only use them in emergencys, as you should use spirit commands as often as possible since they can be restored by items mentalities ect ect and also KOS MOS is the best character in my opinion),but I have found that most bosses arent that tough (by that i mean that you can actually SEE there HP meter depleting) but ever once in a while there will be a tough boss. also when fighting koma the first time (you will fight all bosses at least twice some more) kill the Einst that are with her first and when fighting Kyon first... well good luck

PS- sorry if the reply is sloppy im in a rush as Im going to china (yes, the land of the bootleg) so I wont be on mecha talk for a while until the start og the school year.
First year of high school! Yeah! I will be official age for the JSDF's accidental teenage pilot military drafting!
"Men, they're all idiots. All you have to do is wear something tight, wave your ass at them and they're yours."

-Suzuka Hime (Mugen no Frontier)

... Are we that predictable?
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Okay, so I got through Endless Frontier (thanks for the help guys), and managed to find a copy of EF Exceed (which wasn't very easy >.>), and now I've got a problem with that.

Does anybody know where to find a guide that translates the attacks, seiahin, and skill properties? There's one on Gamefaqs, but I guess the site doesn't like JP characters since it diplays those weird characters that show up when a feature doesn't like the language characters being used. (and I know the problem isn't on my end, because my computer is configured to read JP characters)

That, and I'm having a seriously hard time finding the spots in the attacks where you get the Cancel Bonus. They were pretty easy to find for me in EF 1, but I keep trying and trying but can;t find them in a bunch of my attacks. And in one of Kaguya's attacks, I know where it is, but for some weird reason it only works about a quarter of the time; most of the time I'll hit that spot in the attack and nothing happens other than my attack cancelling.

Finally, the normal random enemies in this game are ridiculously strong. Random enemy multi-attacks frequently take me down 50% on each character they hit, and the one-target attacks often do as much as 75%. >.> Is there something I'm missing here?