Ep. 008: Star Driver

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 008: Star Driver

Chaos Theater Ep. 008 - "Star Driver"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 114 mins, 35 sec. (1:54:35) 52.5 MB

Special Guest Host: Peter Laliberte (opening and Star Driver)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To" and "Slaying the Sacred Cow"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:36:45

02. Discussion: "Star Driver"
Runtime: 0:37:12 - 1:27:12

03. Outro: "Chaos Theater Mailbag" and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:27:37 - 1:54:35

Lock up your daughters, 'cause the party van is in town with a pair of Pedobears! MAHQ reviewer and Gundamn guest Peter Laliberte, aka Pedobear North, aka Destiny_Gundam, enters the Chaos Theater! Before that, we take on the sacred cow of Nintendo, with Pedro sidetracking into a rant against little elvish boys in green tunics. After that, we jump into our main topic, a discussion of the Bones anime series Star Driver. We then wrap up your mailbag questions as usual. Next time, we're going back into the final frontier again to discuss all 11 Star Trek movies. Revenge is a dish best served cold!

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Monochrome (Version de l'apprivoiser)" by from Star Driver by Haruka Tomatsu
"Innocent Blue (Version de l'apprivoiser)" from Star Driver by Rina Hidada

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Laplace's Box -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - Laplace's Box @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Laplace's Box @Twitter - Main RSS Feed - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

Re: Episode 008: Star Driver

Ok just finished listening to the episode.

Not watched Star Driver but it sounds somewhat interesting as a series.
I know a friend who watched most of it.

As for mailbag questions, sorry for the Soul Calibur rant, so next mailbag entry I put down only really 1 entry, continuing on from my prevous set of questions, story wise and gameplay wise character stuff I was curious to know who Pedro uses and Chris use.

Also I try to let at least 1 person post a new entry before I do.
In some cases it was at least 4-5 days before I dropped in a new mailbag entry.
Sometimes the mailbag can literally be a ghost town, including the obligatory tumbleweed.
"Welcome to Chaos Theater mailbag, population 10"
(Kind of a downer when the mailbag has far less contributors then Gundamn's mailbag thread)
Sorry for that also, that and I understand want to have variety of answers for the mailbag.

Dead Space I've heard of it, but never played the game.
Sounds interesting and it's good to know Pedro finds one of those three scenes cringe worthy also.

That is all I've got for replies.
Besides the mailblag would be pretty dead or low on sumissions anyway and it's not like e-mail questions come in alot either(yet)
Destiny_Gundam

So this ep is the first where the Sacred Cow is still mooing lively.

The Zelda cow, anyways ^^"
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
hotlimit

Good stuff once again, I'm actually kind of interested in watching some Star Driver, just to see how fancy and fantastic these people are, haahah.

As for that sacred cow, I was never really a Zelda fan because I'd usually get bored with the formula after the third dungeon of any given title. Okami, on the other hand, is one of my favorite games of all time. The art style is fantastic, the dungeons are short, sweet, and filled with interesting stuff instead of block-pushing puzzles. Not to mention you constantly feel like you're accomplishing something because flowers and junk explodes everywhere anytime you do anything.

I totally agree with DestinyGundam on Majora's Mask though, the whole idea of a 3-day time limit and an ever-looming moon (with a creepy face!) that is going to crush everything is totally freaky. I rented it back when it came out and it scared the heck out of me (in a good way).
Destiny_Gundam

Man, to this day I still have a hard time keeping my hands steady when I'm doing the protect the cow side quest in MM...

I was greatly disappointed with Soul Calibur 4 because I'm one of those silly people who play fighting games for the story. SC4's story mode only had like 6 fights in it and barely any other content. I traded in the game in short order.

Soul Calibur Legends was good fun, though.

And jeeze, I had no idea our inbetween segment chatter was being recorded ^^"
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mu La Flaga

For me in part of the question Soul Calibur 3 had a very involving story for new and old characters alike.

4 I haven't played, but hey Broken Destiny is like no story mode at all, it's just a stripped down version of 4 for PSP.

2 had some interesting moments.

Wish I could get Soul Calibur and Soul Edge somewhere though.
hotlimit

I played Soul Edge with my friends a long time ago, and then SoulCalibur when one of my friends got a Dreamcast (this is a while after the Dreamcast died). For us it was never about story or anything, it was just another fun game that you could play with a lot of people.

The only title I ever bought was SoulCalibur 3, and one thing I was really impressed with was how it had a huge tutorial mode that explained how to play the game. Not like the BS 'mission' modes you get in games like Marvel vs Capcom 3, but something that actually detailed all of the intricate systems and how to use them effectively. To me, that was the biggest leap any fighting game has ever taken towards making itself accessible to normal people (ie; people who aren't hounding forums looking for strategy tips, or watching tournament videos nonstop).
Mu La Flaga

That I did appreciate.
Because I hate mission like tuorials in Soul Caliubur Broken Destiny, I really DO.