Latest movie thread.

Topics not covered in other forums. NO POLITICS OR RELIGION.
zerogradius

Re: Latest movie thread.

Mu La Flaga wrote:Saw the Green Hornet.
My thoughts are this.

I enjoyed most of this movie.
I enjoyed the fact the hero didn't act super responsible and everything and tried to play things the opposite way, like trying to come of as villians and all.

I also enjoyed the car battles, the fights, the 2 main heroes and the villiian.
Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit even if it got silly or crazy at times.

Oh and I found it interesting that the heroes, weren't super heroes, it was the car which made a huge difference.
Personally, I found the humor in this one to be forced at times and predictable at others. The Hornet's jokes too often were lame and uninspired.

I've also seen Priest recently, which was neither here nor there for me, though the ending was leaning more towards the bad side. Though, it is nice to see a vampire movie where the vamps are villains and not in love like that dreck Twilight.
kayone73

Has anyone seen Super 8 yet, I haven't so no spoilers please, but I wanted to hear others opinions on if it's worth seeing or not. rottentomatoes gives it a good composite score. I want to see it because JJ Abrahms is attached but I'm purposely trying to avoid reading stuff that may give away plot points
Zball

Super 8 is great. Watch it. I spared a few words for it on the previous page.
Whatever works.
Dark Duel

Wanted to see Green Lantern this afternoon, but no availability until very late in the evening led me instead to buy a ticket for Transformers: Dark of the Moon.
I'm glad I did. It was AWESOME, easily the best of the trilogy.
More thoughts in spoiler tags:
Spoiler
I RRRRAAAAAGED inwardly when Sentinel revealed he was a traitor and killed Ironhide. So I cheered in silence when Megatron slagged his sorry ass.
Ironhide was AWESOME damn it!
Speaking of awesome, I LOVED it when Bumblebee headshotted that one 'Con by shooting him in the chest. How much more awesome than that can you get?
How about tearing off Megatron's head with a battle axe and ripping out his spine along with it? 'cuz Big Bot did that, too.
Speaking of which, LOVE the trailer/armory/jetpack Optimus was rockin' in the movie.
And finally, Carly >>>>>>>> Mikaela. That is all.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mu La Flaga

Just saw Transformers Dark of the Moon.
All I will say is I enjoyed it, I can't say I guarantee that for everyone else.

Sentinel Prime is an ass also, that is saying the least of him.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Duel

Yes. Yes he is.
Of course, it doesn't help that his face IMO looks vaguely like Christopher Lee.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Mu La Flaga

You know now you think about it this guy has 2 common traits in him.

1.Leonard Nimoy voices him and Galvatron from the 1985 movie and hey, both times it's been someone evil.
2.Sentinel Prime's tend to be asses, I make this comment also refering to Sentinnel Prime from Transformers animated.
So there you go.
Last edited by Mu La Flaga on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Renegade334

Dark Duel wrote:
Spoiler
I RRRRAAAAAGED inwardly when Sentinel revealed he was a traitor and killed Ironhide. So I cheered in silence when Megatron slagged his sorry ass.
Ironhide was AWESOME damn it!
Yeah,
Spoiler
it's quite a revolting death he was dealt in the movie - no going out like a war hero in a final blaze of glory. Just turned to desegregating, corroded metal. I couldn't help but wince at how his head just rolled off. Quite a cruel way to exit the scene, indeed.
Spoiler
Speaking of which, LOVE the trailer/armory/jetpack Optimus was rockin' in the movie.
The scene
Spoiler
where he barrel rolls in and out of the Chicago streets to save Sam and co. from the Driller was a fav of mine. We thus come back to the "Optimus (belatedly) comes to the rescue" pattern and hell am I not disappointed about it.
BTW, anyone noticed
Spoiler
the Bell/Boeing Quad TiltRotor that was part of the half-failed Willis Tower drop? I knew my eyes weren't cheating me when I watched the trailer(s) the first time.
As for people liking or not, TF3 appears to be a hit or miss - the last forty minutes are a 100% sugar milkshake of breakneck action and SFX orgasms and I'm certain that people like Roger Ebert (cm'on, what do you expect with that grouchy, "Can't every filmmaker make movies as good as Citizen Kane~?" and sometimes tactless pundit?) will call TF3 the new coming of the Antichrist, while others like me (will, for those who haven't seen it yet) look forward to the special effects and how realistically were they tied in to the vanilla footage.

Anyway, the movie is decidedly darker than the two first ones.
Spoiler
With humans being blown to smithereens and smoking bones (which is worse than the thermal weapon that Spielberg used in War of the Worlds) and with people getting assassinated by LaserBeak...probably Ehren Kruger's influence since he specializes in horror.
Aside from that, it seems that Bay's not fully comfortable yet with 3D filming, which is not his fault since Paramount is the one who made this requirement (to save the 3D theaters that have been left to starve after Avatar). Still, for a first, it's quite an achievement.
-- Light travels faster than sound: this is the scientific explanation as to why people appear brilliant...that is, until you hear what they have to say.
Mu La Flaga

I will say to me, the final fights in the city got better due to how it played out in terms of whom went after whom namely, it was a little dragged out at times.

I was kind fo expecting some of it to be a little more brutal robot on robot smashing.
Sometimes it was one sided fights and short time fights for that matter.
sweet-d

I also just finished watching Transformers 3 I liked it it was better than Transformers 2. Now there were a few parts I wasn't really into the part with Kim Jeong it really wasn't needed it kinda pissed me off. Which is hard to do other parts I liked when the Decipticon's were blowing people to piece's.
Spoiler
s, Sentinel Prime turning on the Autobot's and getting shot in the back by Megatron. I really like it when Optimus got his arm slashed off it was epic and I also liked the Optimus's trailer it all but said Generation 1 retro.
s
I really wished some human main character's had gotten killed off. But this one was violent and the good kind of violence at least the violence against humans.
Francheska is a horrible colony.
Strike Zero

Was able to go out and watch Dark of the Moon yesterday. What's unfortunate is that this one's narrative ended up having a great many more flaws than either the first movie or Revenge of the Fallen's did. However, on the plus side, I still enjoyed the hell out of myself, so I really couldn't have cared less.

Points of note:
Spoiler
- Though I was hoping for it, I didn't actually think it possible for Optimus to become any more badass than he was in ROTF. I was very happy to be proven wrong.
- Like many, I'm sure, I cringed when Sentinel flat-out smoked Ironhide (though I didn't fail to appreciate the callback to the 1986 animated movie, such as it was).
- Hobotron was fairly entertaining in his own right, though his lack of actual involvement in the narrative was a bit disappointing. He did get his awesome moment when he blasted Sentinel from behind, only for his subsequent "battle" with Optimus to be one of the most un-dynamic things I've seen in a while. Oh, well -- he'd already more-or-less ceased to be a significant threat after the whooping Optimus gave him at the end of the second movie, so I suppose it was appropriate.
- Sentinel Prime himself, while unarguably a colossal jackass, also turned out to be a whole lot of whoop-ass incarnate. Any time either him or Optimus could be seen duking it out, be it with others or each other, was sure to be totally awesome.
- Shockwave was a cool, imposing guy, but like Homelesstron, he really didn't get too involved in the overall scheme of things to make his presence feel worth it. I got the sense that he and Optimus were supposed to have some sort of arch-nemesis thing going on, but not a whole lot ever came of it. I don't think he even had an actual line of spoken dialogue, now that I think of it -- a little banter between him and Optimus would have helped to establish him a bit more more, if nothing else.
- Soundwave went from a orbital satellite to a car. Weak.
- I absolutely loved the image of the Wreckers -- "WE ARE NOT IN DISGUISE, WE ARE DECAL-WEARING SPORT CARS WITH MACHINE GUNS STRAPPED TO OUR HOODS, DEAL WITH IT."
Overall, as a movie-going experience, it was well worth it. I wouldn't mind it in the least if they were to go on to make a fourth movie, but I have the feeling that ain't happening anytime soon. If nothing else, they sure knew to go out of the trilogy with a bang, and by "bang" I mean Optimus doing stuff with a whole lot of badass-ery. That was awesome.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Sucker Punch is a sexist movie! Zach Snyder will get a kick in the balls from me if I ever meet him, and I would recommend that no one buy or watch this movie. Pretend it never was made! In fact, don't spend your time doing anything related to that movie. I even refuse to look into buying the OST, which is a shame because there were some songs in that movie that I liked...but NO! I refuse to support that idiot Snyder!

Can you believe he actually said that "Sucker Punch is empowering to women." It is clear that Snyder is not only a terrible director with no original ideas, he also is just a horrible human being.

Sorry I just needed to rant about that film a little. I watched it last night after being told that it was good...and after I heard that Zach Snyder wanted to make a strong female film...blah!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Dark Duel

Strike Zero wrote:
Spoiler
Hobotron was fairly entertaining in his own right, though his lack of actual involvement in the narrative was a bit disappointing. He did get his awesome moment when he blasted Sentinel from behind, only for his subsequent "battle" with Optimus to be one of the most un-dynamic things I've seen in a while. Oh, well -- he'd already more-or-less ceased to be a significant threat after the whooping Optimus gave him at the end of the second movie, so I suppose it was appropriate.
Well, given
Spoiler
how he's still obviously in severe disrepair after getting his butt severely kicked in ROTF, I wasn't too suprised at how quickly he went out. Besides, I cheered for two reasons:
1. Optimus Prime tore his head off with a battle axe. And his spine came out with it.
2. I'm pissed at how his alternate form in the movie is some kind of poor man's Nemesis Prime. Seriously, that was EPIC FAIL.

My favorite iteration of movie-Megatron remains ROTF "Alien tank" Megatron. One of the only good things about that movie.
Oh, and ROFL @ that nickname - it fits so well.
Strike Zero wrote:
Spoiler
- I absolutely loved the image of the Wreckers -- "WE ARE NOT IN DISGUISE, WE ARE DECAL-WEARING SPORT CARS WITH MACHINE GUNS STRAPPED TO OUR HOODS, DEAL WITH IT."
Yeah, the Wreckers were just plain awesome. Wheeljack, OTOH, was a massive disappointment, especially considering how awesome Prime Wheeljack is.

Also, WTF is up with Sam all of a sudden having TWO psycho midget robot mascots? TBH I don't remember the details, but if I hadn't read the prequel comic, I would've been utterly confused.
Also, cyber-vulture-of-death Laserbeak was cool.

Antares

@Soma Taozi:
Can you believe he actually said that "Sucker Punch is empowering to women."
I did a small number here on that movie a while back, and I bit the usual bullet that it was just entertainment. But if Snyder actually said that then lulz to him, he is a douche.

I also watched TF3, but didn't post here since I wanted a while to digest it. I'm done digesting now. :)
Overall, I found the movie was better than TF2, which, to be fair, isn't much of a compliment. But at least this one didn't have the same glaring plotholes that I could've driven a herd of cattle through. I think it might be possible that the ill-advised scripting experiment that resulted in TF2 was scrapped, probably at the demand of the writers who wanted to work in Hollywood in the future too. The person who thought it would be so clever for Sentinel Spock to say "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" deserves special mention for making me cry and laugh at the same time.

Moments of action were cool and smooth, and there I have no complaints, although I did wonder if they had to figure out places where they could throw in Sam and his guys and really milk the 3D effect. The first 30 minutes though were painful. At this point Sam's shenanigans don't interest me in the least, and the introduction of Hottie McPouty-lips didn't do much to improve on Mikaela's, ahem, legacy. At least this one didn't fall over quite as often.

I do think they sawed off the limb they were sitting on when it comes a sequel, because
Spoiler
all the significant bad guys are dead, and Optimus is just so utterly badass that no one can touch him.
- Shockwave went down easy, Starscream went down easy, Hobobot must've been off his circuit board to shank Sentinel only to get the most anticlimactic whooping of metallic behind. Sentinel's pitiful begging that Optimus wouldn't to pull the trigger was surprisingly good, though. I felt it showed a little edge when OP just wasted him regardless.
- One major problem though was the usual Decepticon rule of numbers over quality. When you have more 'Cons than you care to name, they go down like a house of cards when e.g. Bumblebee suddenly goes berserko, or the comic-relief(?) micromasters take down the Decepticon airship.
- Guys like Shockwave who should've kicked butts and taken names mostly just stood there and let their mechanical sandworm do all the work.
So yeah, less humans, more challenge, and less visuals purely for the sake of being cool in 3D and they might as well make a fourth one.
-We will not be caught by surprise!
*Almost everyone I've killed uttered similar last words.
-Then I am glad once again that you are on my side.
*They've often said that too.
Dark Duel

Saw Green Lantern last week, and it was awesome. Honestly, I loved it. I loved Mark Strong as Sinestro, I loved Geoffrey Rush as Tomar-Re, and Kilowog was...well, he's Kilowog. 'nuff said.
Even Reynolds was pretty good as Hal Jordan. Funny, too.

More recently, I rented and watched Lincoln Lawyer with Matthew McConnaughey and William Macy. Great movie.
Then, at the insistence of one of my relatives we watched Red Riding Hood, which was pretty much garbage other than Gary Oldman's brief appearance in the middle of the film.

Raiden

Just saw Captain America:The First Avenger. It was bloody awesome in both action and comedy. It weaves everything together nicely for what's to come.

Especially for
Spoiler
The Avengers trailer at the end!!! If you don't like staying till after the credits make this one an exception! :D
awesome78

Saw the Captain America movie just yesterday and absolutely loved it! And I'm not a big Captain America fan at all.
Couple of things I liked:
Spoiler
- Liked the WWII propaganda they did when Cap became a star.
- Liked how they used his classic suit as part of his propaganda.
- Acting was top notch in my opinion, especially Chris Evans who I thought was going to act like an idiot in the movie or have that spill out during his acting but he acted responsible for the most part like how Captain America or Superman should be. Marvel is doing a very good job at picking the actors that can actually play these characters well.
- Loved the action scene especially the part where he decides to free all the prisoners on his own.
- Hugo Weaving was just absolutely awesome as the Red Skull that he deserves his own point.
- Writers did a very good job at showing who Steve Rogers is and showing him as not someone who became Captain America but someone that was always Captain America in the first place which is something I hope the writers for the new Superman movie to take notice at.
- Very bittersweet ending for Captain America when he said that he had a date. I just felt very sad for him when he said that.
- AVENGERS TRAILER! That is all.
Mu La Flaga

Saw Captain America earlier on, I can't add much more then what has already been said.
Overall I really liked this movie alot.
Wingnut

Saw Cowboys and Aliens today. It was enjoyable for what it was, which was what I was expecting so I wasn't disapointed. Graig and Ford were perfectly cast for their roles.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Dark Duel

Mu La Flaga wrote:Saw Captain America earlier on, I can't add much more then what has already been said.
Overall I really liked this movie alot.
Captain America was too awesome for words. Saw it 2 weeks or so ago. But as fangasm-inducing as that entire movie was, the one really, REALLY cool bit IMO was how...
Spoiler
They pretty blatantly set up for Winter Soldier to appear in a future film
Also, saw the Rise of the Planet of the Apes last weekend. I really liked the original with Charlton Heston and hated the Tim Burton remake, but LOVED this one. Especially how it's got little references to the original film series literally ALL OVER THE PLACE, from the main chimpanzee character to Tom Felton's character's name to the Orangutan's name to Heston's iconic line from the original movie. Also, James Franco was great, John Lithgow and Brian Cox brilliant, and Andy Serkis played an ape again.