Ep. 080 - Rage Against the Gundam AGE!

The home for everything about MAHQ's flagship podcast.
Soul Bro Ryu

Ep. 080 - Rage Against the Gundam AGE!

Gundamn! @ MAHQ Ep. 080 - "Rage Against the Gundam AGE!"
- Download Now!: 64 kbps - 137 min., 55 sec. (2:17:55) - 63.1 MB

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. PETCO (Commercial)
Runtime: 0:00:00 - 0:00:43

02. Intro: "Neo's News & the Gundamn Mailbag!"
Runtime: 0:00:43 - 0:22:16 (Duration: 0:21:33)

03. Jabman: Defender of Destiny!!! (Commercial?)
Runtime: 0:22:16 - 0:23:28 (Duration: 0:01:12)

04. Anime Addicts Anonymous (Podcast)
Runtime: 0:23:28 - 0:24:07 (Duration: 0:00:39)

05. 1st Segment: "Gundam RAGE! - A Straight Talk Express about Mobile Suit Gundam AGE" (Roundtable Discussion)
Runtime: 0:24:07 - 1:26:12 (Duration: 1:02:05)

06. Champs Sports (Commercial)
Runtime: 1:26:12 - 1:27:18 (Duration: 0:01:06)

07. Pretentious Internet Theatre (Podcast)
Runtime: 1:27:18 - 1:27:47 (Duration: 0:00:29)

08. 2nd Segment: "Caprica" (Television Series Review)
Runtime: 1:27:47 - 2:05:55 (Duration: 0:38:08)

09. Animēshon Podcast (Podcast)
Runtime: 2:05:55 - 2:07:03 (Duration: 0:01:08)

10. "They Call Him" by Garma Strikes!
Runtime: 2:07:03 - 2:08:05 (Duration: 0:01:02)

11. Outro: "Closing/Peep the Websites!"
Runtime: 2:08:05 - 2:17:55 (Duration: 0:09:50)

A discussion of the breaking news about the new series, "Mobile Suit Gundam AGE" & a review of the prequel to 2004 reboot of Battlestar Galactica, "Caprica"!

Many thanks go out to our friends & listeners on Gundamn.net, MechaTalk.net, Facebook & Twitter for participating in the conversation about Mobile Suit Gundam AGE! Also, props go out to Jabman025 & Robert of Gundam.tk for their awesome videos as of late:

- Jabman025: 1/25 scale Straight Talk Express Review
- Gundam.tk: Gundam Age Reaction - new 2011 Gundam series
- Gundam.tk: Gundam the Origin the Anime revealed - Manga to Anime アニメ化

Both are excellent model builders and their YouTube channels are dedicated to that. Make sure to take the time to check them out and tell 'em Gundamn! @ MAHQ sent you!

Want to have your Gundamn-centric works featured in the next episode? Then, send in your creative entries for the next "Gundamnation Spotlight" to [email protected]!

Also, the Chaos Theater is live with no jive, gang! Join Pedro "Pedobear South" Cortes (of Tomopop.com & Tomocast) and MAHQ & Gundamn's own Chris Guanche in their new podcast - one that focuses on many other facets of Otakudom! Video Games, Comics/Manga, Merchandise, Books, Movies, TV & every other genre of Anime (sans Mecha) will be conversed about over a couple of cold ones by Chris & Pedro and they invite you to join 'em! (NSFW for younger ears!)

Peep the links below for the latest episode & more info:

- Chaos Theater (Main Website)
- Chaos Theater Ep. 007 - "Batman: The Animated Series" - MP3 (Right-click & Save!)
- Chaos Theater MechaTalk.net Official Forum:
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewforum.php?f=32
- Chaos Theater, Ep. 007 - "Batman: The Animated Series" - Feedback Thread
http://www.mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14118
- Feedback Email: [email protected]
- Twitter: @CTCast

Finally, Shinjuku Station has just started a podcast, reviewing the latest movies in the theaters, films we missed that are now on home video, and classic movies that have left their mark. The assortment of reviewers will vary from review to review, with participants from "Gundamn! @ MAHQ", "Level Nine", "Flip the Script!" and other podcasts!

Shinjuku Station At the Movies
Review 001: Battle: Los Angeles
- Download Now!: 128 kbps - 55 min., 25 sec. (0:55:25) - 50.7 MB - NSFW!
Review 002: Sucker Punch
- Download Now!: 128 kbps - 62 min., 45 sec. (1:02:45) - 57.4 MB - NSFW!

Many thanks for listening & enjoy!
Soul Bro Ryu
[email protected]

Music & Drops Featured in this Episode

- Cold Open Drop
* "Go the F*ck to Sleep" as read by Samuel L. Jackson

- Intro Segment, Opening Song
"Atarashiki Sekai he ~ Shougeki" by Toshihiko Sahashi
* from the "Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny" Original Score

- Intro Segment, Closing BGM
"Sakebi to Gekitetsu" by Toshihiko Sahashi

- 1st Segment, Opening BGM, First Track
"Kuroi Hadou" by Toshihiko Sahashi

- 1st Segment, Opening BGM, Second Track
"Shuumatsu no Anji" by Toshihiko Sahashi

- 1st Segment, Closing BGM
"Kusen" by Toshihiko Sahashi

- Champs Sports Commercial BGM
"C'mon Wit Da Git Down" by DJ Mitsu The Beats & Fat Loop
* from the cover album "Loop Amplitude" (Originally from the Artifacts's "Between a Rock and a Hard Place")

- 2nd Segment, Opening BGM, 1st Track
"Terrorism On The Lev" by Bear McCreary
* from the "Caprica" Original Score

- 2nd Segment, Opening BGM, 2nd Track
"Zoe Awakens" by Bear McCreary

- 2nd Segment, Closing BGM
"Caprica End Credits" by Bear McCreary

- Outro BGM, First Track
"Award Tour" by DJ Mitsu The Beats & Fat Loop
* from the cover album "Loop Amplitude" (Originally from A Tribe Called Quest's "Midnight Marauders")

- Outro BGM, Second Track
"Electric Relaxation" by DJ Mitsu The Beats & Fat Loop
* from the cover album "Loop Amplitude" (Originally from A Tribe Called Quest's "Midnight Marauders")

- Outro Drop
* "Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ final episode end (english dub)" from "Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ"

- Shinjuku Station & MAHQ Signoff
"Lonely Boy" by Andrew Gold
* from the album "What's Wrong With This Picture?"

- Stinger Drop
* "The Cost of Doing Business" (Bunk Confronts Omar) from "Homecoming" (Season 3, Ep. 6) of "The Wire"

Peep the Websites!:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Gundamn! @ MechaTalk Forum - Chaos Theater - Chaos Theater @ Mechatalk Forum - Laplace's Box - Level Nine - @MAHQDotNet - @GundamnAtMAHQ - Digg - MySpace - FaceBook Profile - FaceBook Group - Spill - Mevio - iTunes - Main RSS Feed - Shinjuku Station Fight Tube! - Shinjuku Station At The Movies - AAA Podcast Network

Podcasts & Links We're Fond Of:
Unpopular Kulture - Solar Radio Wave - Pretentious Internet Theatre - Row Row Fight Da Powah! - The Reverse Thieves: A Blog Duet with Hisui & Narutaki - SSAA Podcast: The Ass-Backwards Anime Podcast - Anime Addicts Anonymous - Jabman025's YouTube Channel - Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged by Gutted Wren Studios

Sponsors & Special Offers:
PETCO - Champs Sports

Zune: zune://subscribe/?Gundamn=http://www.podshow.com/feeds/gundamntheshow.xml

[email protected]
Soul Bro Ryu
http://www.Gundamn.net
http://About.me/SoulBroRyu
Xbox Live: Soul Bro Ryu
PSN: Soul_Bro_Ryu
kayone73

Re: Ep. 080 - Rage Against the Gundam AGE!

Listening to it now, I almost spit out my drink when I heard the 'Zeon brokeback' comment.
Mekton GM

Woot downloading when i get home and im going to listen to it as I'm playing DW:G 3
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
Arorn0086

I kinda expected a straight talk express appearance before I even heard any of the reactions (after all there are always trolls that moan at new stuff, no matter what) but to have what could be considered a full STE segment? But I totally agree, trolling on something when we have so little information... there’s so much doom and gloom, it does sound like Transformers fans moaning about the newest incarnation. I figured it was bad from what Chris has said before… but I haven’t looked at forms before, I didn’t realize it was quiet THAT bad…

As it is all I can comment on is… the designs of characters seem kind of kiddy yes, and there are cartoony elements, but from what little there was it seemed to give of an aura of desperation, similar to Macross and other similar shows, and I like the suit designs… with exception of Genoace… but then I have a bias from liking dragons.

As for Caprica, can’t say much on it yet, but then again I need to get Battlestar Galatica at some point, much less the spinoffs (all I can find is the full series boxset at my local shop, and I don’t have an extra £79 to throw around with other things I need to pay for at the moment)

Anyways sorry for rambling on so much, thanks for the show you guys, keep up the good work
"Lockon Stratos, targeted and firing!" - Neil/Lyle Dylandy, Gundam Meister

"Free will is an Illusion"

The Scotsman from Wales

PSN/XBOX: Arorn
Shinigam_Newtype

I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I always enjoy the episodes and you guys truly make the day better for me.

Having said that, I have a bone to pick with you Chris.

What exactly is the point of the Straight Talk express and or Slaying the sacred cow?
I understand that you're perhaps procuring a different perspective on the respective subject, but what's the use in b*tching about other peoples' b*tching?! In actuality, it tends to annoy me hearing you whine for extended periods of time about something you have no control over, nor can change.

The fact is irrespective of whether or not you feel the need air a different opinion, people will continue to vehemently cast criticism based on their subjective beliefs and ideals. And unfortunately, theres nothing you and or your b*tching can do about that.
"I'm not as impatient as you, I can wait for humanity to learn and grow" - Amuro Ray.

PSN ID: Shinigam_Newtype
3DS Friend Code: 4468 0954 9080
Vent Noir

Just started listening. For horror/mecha anime, the one that immediately comes to mind for me is Iczer-One, which was not so much a "mecha anime" as an "anime with mecha in it", and had some very creepy Alien-esque monsters that implanted themselves in people (it was also one of the first anime I saw).
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Chris
Administrator

Shinigam_Newtype wrote:I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I always enjoy the episodes and you guys truly make the day better for me.

Having said that, I have a bone to pick with you Chris.

What exactly is the point of the Straight Talk express and or Slaying the sacred cow?
I understand that you're perhaps procuring a different perspective on the respective subject, but what's the use in b*tching about other peoples' b*tching?! In actuality, it tends to annoy me hearing you whine for extended periods of time about something you have no control over, nor can change.

The fact is irrespective of whether or not you feel the need air a different opinion, people will continue to vehemently cast criticism based on their subjective beliefs and ideals. And unfortunately, theres nothing you and or your b*tching can do about that.
It's not always about other people bitching. Maybe it doesn't always shine through, but the point of both segments is to offer a different perspective counter to what lots of people are saying about any given subject. If you listen to episode 8 of Chaos Theater when it's out, you'll hear Pedro ranting about Nintendo, but not Nintendo fans. Can I change everyone's opinions about any given subject? No, but that's not my goal. What I can do is raise awareness of something with my audience, and if it's a bad thing, maybe they'll become less tolerant of that thing or type of behavior themselves and spread the opinion further. And in the end, I choose to talk about these things because I can. If those two segments annoy you, the time codes are always there in the show notes so you can skip them.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
TimberNewtype

Wow, guys; I'm humbled. Always glad to inspire some SoulBro envy.

It's nice to see some who are still keeping an open mind about new stuff. Actually, I have been very impressed with the positive "counter-reactions" to the hurricane of negativity initially unleashed by a vocal, pessimistic group. Many great people have stepped up here and on other forums to fight back the troll winds blowing from the furthest dark recesses of the Internet. You are all to be commended.

I would be remiss in not stating that my wife is also to be inlcuded in the Gundam love of our family. That's right: a WOMAN who enjoys mecha AND Gunpla (and no, not just pink concert Zakus)!!

One of the best "Neo's News" ever in this episode. When did you breathe, man? Great show, as usual. Thanks for fighting the good fight!
Newtype Dad

My YouTube channel
Listen to Shelf Life
Follow me on twitter @TimberNewtype
gundamtype0

Thanks to Neo for giving my news submission a 1920's flair.

I think the Japanese Gundam fandom is giving AGE just as much hate as the western fandom. The first thing that caught my eye when I checked one of the Japanese forums was literally, "What the hell is this?!."

I bet these same trolls will show up in the Bandai/Sunrise panel in Anime Expo this weekend and present their hatred for a show that hasn't even released yet.
Mu La Flaga

Ok listened to the episode and yeah I know what Chris meant.
I never really jumped all aboard the Gundam Age fanrage really myself so that wa not an issue.
Although as I did say in the thread, I suppose I was just one of those people who hoped for something a little more interesting or dark and edgier.

In the end I can live with it and not loose sleep over it.
Not sure about Tetraval though :P

As for Capricca, never seen it so can't comment.

As for my mailbag entry I did actually trim it down a bit but it was still a wall of text so will have to try again minus the other stuff.
Even though you've simillarly sized walls of text before like Saber's bunch of questions in episode 71 or so

Don't have much more to add for this episode's comments.
Chris
Administrator

Mu La Flaga wrote:As for my mailbag entry I did actually trim it down a bit but it was still a wall of text so will have to try again minus the other stuff.
Even though you've simillarly sized walls of text before like Saber's bunch of questions in episode 71 or so
It's not so much a wall of text as what that wall of text is about. Saber, for example, has posted lots of questions at once, and that's ok because more questions is fine. On the other hand, your posts have a few questions, but tons of background information on each question. Basically, it's better to just get to the point of the question without so much background.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Mu La Flaga

True I suppose I should cut out all the filler stuff or other bits I didn't need to put in.
Which I shall do for next time at least, when that comes up.
Hyakushiki

I was thinking about how horror elements could work in a robot anime and thought how about cosmic horror! :shock: Humans pitted against eldritch abominations from beyond the stars, creatures of vast intellect and immense power whose essential wrongness of their nature defies human understanding and drives all who confront them slowly mad. Humans have built weapons powerful enough to face them, mighty titans of steel we still have little chance of defeating them.
Don't send a coordinator to do a newtype's job!
jcncasval76

here's my thoughts on the topic discussion, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:

I must have said this comment twice on Facebook, and I'm going to say that again when it comes to any new shows that's coming soon either on theatre or on tv: "Wake me when they actually show the finished articles instead of bitching based on scans & trailers, trailers and scans are just sneak peek, and I have no time going into the minds of the writers and directors at this stage because it's moot to speculate on what may or may not be happening in the final products."

As for Caprica, IMO, I feel the end product is a bridge too far while the premise may look interesting, and NBC Universal must have had some reservation about the fear of that idea became an unmitigated disaster; sure enough, while the theory of having things rewind back 50 years might be very interesting, too many things happened clustered into that time frame with sub-par character developments has utterly compromised the whole show's potential. In fact, I actually got lost after watching about 6 episodes. Had they done the show by talking about the first Cylon War and be done right from the first frame, that would have worked. Instead, this show ended up being cancelled.

As for the fandom in general, regardless if it's Gundam, Law & Order, Kamen Rider, Star Trek, Super Sentai, or Star Wars, something I heard this morning on a podcast stated this point: In the age of instant gratification, nobody is giving anyone or anything sufficient time to get things right. Whether it's in sports, movies, tv shows, or personal life, we become too fed up when we see only about .05% of things and then jumped to conclusion. When that happens, we see some of more vile sections of fans try to maul opinions in a sad & pathetic attempt to feel their satisfaction of their insecurities. Only years later, some of them saw the errors of their ways and realized those shows they hated in the beginning weren't that bad while others still complain to death continuously.

Chris, I do have to agree with you on ZZ Gundam, particularly after I have tried to build the MG version of that MS TWICE, it's too bulky in design and the "finish" product (I actually had to skip the backpack when I tried to put them together) was a disappointment.

that's all for now.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
bloodyknight

Hey, guys... Good show as always... although i'm still listening...

Troll complaining time again, isn't it... very funny... had to agree that it is too early to write AGE off. Gonna watch it and judge later... especially with just a god damn short trailer and blurry scans... How can people make judgment based on this weak evidence?

See me scratch my head, dude...

And Caprica cut... disappointing... had seen the s1... not too bad although a bit slow.

Keep up the good work, guys... if only the world is a better one... then again, none of this will happen.
thehod

Caprica was very boring and their attempt at trying to show the issues of technology and AI was not done well. Macross plus did a better job of the dangers of AI and technology.
snoops619

Hey guys, great show as ever.
I have to agree with you in the whole Gundam AGE debacle. This is the first show that I am having to wait for, discounting season 2 of 00. I think the show has an infinate well of potential, and has me extremely excited. I mean, who's to say that there won't be gritiness in this show? Not only does the first gen character see his mother die before he even hops in the gundam. And c'mon, if every generation in this family has piloted the Gundam, do you not think the maybe gen 3 character might even be a Heero or a Setsuna? Anyway, there's my two pennies.
Thanks for the show guys.
Last edited by snoops619 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3,000,000,000 points. I can almost taste the brownies.
Mekton GM

The 2 series i can think of for mecha horror are Divergince Eve and the second episode of Tales of Neo Byston Well. In Divergince Eve the fight these interdimentional monsters that can appear anywhere. In one episode they actualy had a supporting character eaten alive by one of the monsters in a nasty scene. In Tales it was when the princess was being chased by the sand monsters, that is a situatation i never want to be in.
The Great great great great great great great great grandfather of HOWARD MASON!!!!!!
Xbox Live Gamertag: Anubis214
vick86

Haven't listened to the podcast since 00 ended. Nothing has changed. Soul Bro still has his man and Chris still makes too much sense. Keep it going guys. (also Chris is a whovian, bonus nerd points)

My first thought on AGE well that looks kiddy, my second thought, well it makes perfect sense for them to go there even if it's not necessarily what I want to see. 00 may have been a great show and a creative success but because it was a more adult show it was never as popular as Seed and Destiny.

It only makes sense for the next Gundam show to try and recapture Seed's popularity. Which means it has to be aimed at squarely at kids. The more popular it is with kids the more toys it'll sell which is the whole point.

Instead of complaining about the whole purpose of the show we should cherish that Sunrise even bothers making more a riskier and more adult gundam every couple of series. Guess what they don't have too and it'd actually be in their interest not to make them. Since a riskier show like Turn-A or 00 will never be as popular (read: sell as much toys) as a Seed or Age.

Japanese kids will love AGE and that's the whole point.
NastyNate

Great episode guys. Makes me even more excited about this new gundam show. I did miss you not talking about the announced Gundam Age rpg video gamethat is supposed to come out and your thoughts on that. As well as that Gunpla Builder type arcade game with the Gundam Age miracles. Troll crushing comes first I understand. But it would be great if you mention it next time. Also next ep be sure to give a shout out to Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 for those that did not know it was out. We need to support the local releases. Ya know!

Neo you said that this show we might think this show is bad now but later in life think that it is a classic. When will we ever like Gundam Seed Destiny? jk keep it up guys.
"I am the way the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me"-Jesus Christ

PSN, Xbox Live, Twitter: Nates4Christ