Mobile suit Grunt Wars (indie pc gundam action game)

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
ydawg314

Re: Mobile suit Grunt Wars CE: Battlefield Blitz

Yeah the first version of the game will focus mainly on getting gameplay mechanics to be fun. (melee, shooting)

I need some help.
im looking for a gundam jet engine thrust sound.
EDIT:
like this at 0:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXBCNJSa2TQ
Battle my brute
SD Gundam Online Taiwan IGN: Ydawg314
SD Gundam Online Korea IGN: Layzee
ydawg314

right now im tweaking weaponry/projectiles

the beam:
right now i have it act like a really powerful bullet but this doesnt feal right to me...
Would it make sense to have it have a splash damage? also should i make it act more like a blast from a water gun? So like you if you were to get hit by a beam while dodging the beggining of the beam would dissipate while the rest would keep on going?

I guess what im asking is should a beam act like water from a water spray gun?
Battle my brute
CJack90

Im not trying to be all uc elitist are nothing ( i love all gundam franchises) start from scratch with U.C. Reboot the whole gundam game franchise if thats possible because they get no justice and if your game comes out of nowhere as a great testing phase build on more alternate/ different universes C.E. ,after war etc. great ideas from everybody though great opinions..
ydawg314

Currently I have Thermolysis already working on gundam wing sprites and this version will be the testing ground for UC. I feel like UC is something i have to get right from the beginning so I really don't want to start and not have it be fun. Afterward I will do the other universes.

The goal of this wing build is to get melee to work fluidly and i feel wing is the ultimate test for me.
Battle my brute
CJack90

melee looks like a challange even today and past line of gundam games except DW: gundam gundam vs gundam games but im sure you got it.just keep it up bro havent played a great gundam in a while sine EIS/F vs Z..just keep it up bro take namco out of buisness lol and you take over.. (Domination) XD Shao Khan Voice
ydawg314

loool thanks I intend too I just hope they dont take me out... with laws suits n such
Battle my brute
ydawg314

so I was watching 0080 and I got some ideas

how does a cover system sound? It would be slightly similar to gears of war. How my system would work is that when move towards a wall/building/largeobject and you have a free hand you will be able to click the mouse of that hand and grab hold of the surface. While holding the mouse button and your character will clinging on to the surface, you will be able to lean left or right allowing you to shoot at your target.

this could also be used for controlling your mech. I could make it so that when you go left or right and you let go of the object you continue moving in that direction. This could be a good way for example to push yourself from building to building allowing you to move quickly while remaining covered and also without using any power/fuel.

This could also be used to cling on to moving ships.

How do you guys feel about this? does anyone else have any other ideas?
Battle my brute
ZeroXSEED

:shock:
OMG Cover system, that would be awesome. And sufficiently skilled/ experienced player could turn an urban warfare into hell for the first timer. Not that I'm complaining, after all, your old v.0.4 demo is awesome as I expect from the screenshots, so, this game will be better I believe.

Thumbs up! :D
ydawg314

thanks for your comment. Work is going slow but I plan to finish a demo by end of summer. :)
Battle my brute
ydawg314

my game is still alive even tho is moving so slow heres a vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhMY-yat ... er&list=UL
Battle my brute
ydawg314

I'm almost done my finals and I will resume work on this game during my break...

with my last version of the game,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEuQ6qsL ... re=related
one thing a lot of people (including myself) complained about was the fact that ms could boost on land too freely. You could fly around the whole time dodging bullets....

as I posted above this is still pretty much the current game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhMY-yat ... r_embedded

This time I have been trying to come up with a system which discourages players from boosting like this (on land) without there being too much of penalty.

To come up with this new system I have been watching series like gundam unicorn and gundam seed. One thing I noticed is that ms can boost on land easily but the draw back to doing this is that is becomes hard to aim when accelerating and decelerating at high speeds and if you land to fast you need time to stabilize the ms.

(to be honest im also taking a que from GTA gears of war and smash bros)

To fix this I am making the following changes to the game:
- holding w will make you walk
- tapping w will making you run GTA style
- tapping w to a correct beat will make you sprint fastest (allows for skills)
- pressing space will allow for minimum thrust
- holding w and pressing space promptly after will allow for maximum thrust (like power hit in super smash bros 64)
- the faster you press space after w the more thrust you will use and the faster you will go
- the higher the speed you are going the sloppier the landing will be
- the speed of acceleration and deceleration will accent short takeoff and landing animations which negatively affect aiming
- tapping A and D at right beats will allow you to walk off a sloppy landing or break neatly so you can shoot or run in a shorter amount of time.
- buildings can be used as cover and for stopping sloppy landings
- you can grab buildings to stop you but at high speeds you will damage them
- sprinting and breaking will cause more collateral damage so you may want to hover and walk slow when fighting in ally territory

in making these changes my goal is to add a little more skill and strategy to movement and to connect the keyboard to the ms further to make the player feel like they are really in control. For example tapping w once will make the ms complete a full step and once you master pressing w to the beat each step will match the button press. This is also what I intend to do for breaking. Melee moves will also be timed to this beat system.

To make the player accustom to this there will be tutorials mixed in throughout the single player missions. For example in the first level when the player takes their ms out of a hanger they will have to walk slow so (to not cause collateral damage) they gain experience with walking efficiently to a beat.

All that said new comers will not need to abide by the new movement rules but they will just move with a lot less precision than veteran players. This new system will also allow for ms to feel more unique without making things feel to foreign. If you have enough skill you will wiz through the battlefield like Wolf in Gundam Age

Tell me what you think even if you strongly disagree. i love talking about my hobbies. :)
Battle my brute
ydawg314

Re: Mobile suit Grunt Wars (indie pc gundam action game)

The thing I am currently working on is a system which allows all particles to remain on the battlefield forever. By this I mean I am working on a system which preserves bullet holes, craters, foot steps, tire marks, rubble, and bits and wreckage. It will also be goon for rendering details on the battle field. The current build only has a bland texture but with my new system I can add shrubs and streets which. this will add further to the sand box effect.

As always comment and tell me what you think :)
Battle my brute